Page 5 of 7
^his truss rod doesn't have an allen head... He needs either a deep socket, or a special tool for adjusting truss rods. But yeah... pliers are a bad idea
Not taking any online orders.
so where would I find one of these deep socket things?
"The most important thing is to learn how to play the guitar before you get 50,000 dollars worth of complicated gear" -Slash

Not a member of any clubs. Don't PM me.
anyplace that sells tools. You could even find it at wall mart. I'm not sure what size you would need tho. I bet you could find out on the warmoth websit.
he just means a socket wrench, but the long one. they make them in screwdriver form to(with the socket head), like i was talking about. that would be easy to use and should fit without loosening the strings.
what
Originally posted by Mascot
. . .pro? He's purchasing from a pre-built site, so that's not exactly 'pro status'. . .

i meant the finish. jeez man. relax.
I was able to borrow a socket from someone that fits onto the truss rod end perfectly. It extends to about the end of the cutaway that the nut is in and has a square-shaped hole at the other end. What do I attatch it to?
"The most important thing is to learn how to play the guitar before you get 50,000 dollars worth of complicated gear" -Slash

Originally posted by sm1th
i meant the finish. jeez man. relax.

Relax? Yeah, man. I was so worked up about it, there were exclamation marks and capital letters left and right.

mn, what do you mean 'what do I attach it to'? Are you talking about the wrench or the rod?
Originally posted by mnbaseball91
I was able to borrow a socket from someone that fits onto the truss rod end perfectly. It extends to about the end of the cutaway that the nut is in and has a square-shaped hole at the other end. What do I attatch it to?

A socket wrench possibly? The end with the black square goes in the wrench, and the other end onto the rod.
LastFM
my deviantART
Quote by saintjimmy99
thank you kindly. now feel free to put a quote from me in your sig that says whatever you like.
^Got it. Thanks.

I rewired it so the switch is correct. I still have some grounding issues, but everything works now. The Alnico II Pro and the Lace Sensor both sound exactly like I expected. The Super Distortion sounds like absolute crap - it's week, thin, and trebley. I think I did something wrong but I'm not sure what. Anyone have any ideas?

The intonation is in the ballpark but not quite exact. I'll wait to do that until everything else is adjusted.

I can't get the action low because the frets aren't quite level. I'll try to get some help with that, but tips are always welcome.

I'm really busy this week, but I'll see what I can do about pictures.

When I level the frets I use a sharpening stone (like what you use to sharpen kitchen knives) The longer the stone the better. Find your high spots and grind them level with the other frets. Then I recrown the frets with a triangle file that I ground the corners off of. I don't feel like finding the link to my old thread but here is a link to my picture site that has *those* particular pics.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v233/corduroyeveningwear/?start=80
I've actually got the link to your fretting thing saved on my computer and I've read it several times. Very informative.

Edit: So does anyone have any idea what's wrong with the Super Distortion? Something about it just isn't right. Could the chrome rings have something to do with it?

Last edited by mnbaseball91 at May 11, 2005,
I don't really see how the outer rings of the humbucker would interfere with the sound.

It might be your wiring - sometimes, when my connections are loose, the signal is half-way there, and it sounds weak.
Yeah i've noticed that with my input jack on my Explore-n-stein.

It seem's real weak and i was turning knobs and checking allsorts, then i moved the lead and it kicked in properly...

Just redo that particular pickups connections. Take your time and make sure they are cleanly done.
UG's CHAV?

Providing Epilepsy to the masses.

Quote by Jakeylee111
^ I thought you'd been permabanned or given an ASBO or something...

Quote by xtheblackoutx
you're a sick person.

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to have someone help me out with the wiring just to make sure I'm doing everything right.

As much as I've tried to avoid it, it appears as though I'm not going to get low action of any sort without getting the frets leveled and dressed and the nut slots filed a little deaper. I don't particularly feel like doing those kinds of things myself on a $400 neck, so I've been asking around to see who I should take it to. I'll do my best to watch while they do it so I can learn. If this was a true project guitar, I'd take a stab at it myself, but I really need this to be my one really good guitar.

Yeah, I wouldn't have enough confidence to mess around on a $400 neck.

I thought Warmoth did all this for you? I'd imagine they would at least adjust all their necks properly and file it, since all their sockets in the body are the same, so the action shouldn't be THAT varied.
Originally posted by Mascot
I thought Warmoth did all this for you? I'd imagine they would at least adjust all their necks properly and file it, since all their sockets in the body are the same, so the action shouldn't be THAT varied.

Nobody levels the frets. That is something that only hand builders do. When you are lucky a guitar will have level frets and play nice with realy low action right from the shop, but usually the 1st thing you need to do is get a fret job.
Ahh, I see. I just thought that since you're paying a hefty price, they'd do most of the work for you.

Learn something new everyday.
Originally posted by CorduroyEW
Nobody levels the frets. That is something that only hand builders do. When you are lucky a guitar will have level frets and play nice with realy low action right from the shop, but usually the 1st thing you need to do is get a fret job.

so basically, on a new high end guitar, even if my truss rod is properly adjsuted, i can have action problems because of bad frets?
Quote by MavataR
thats one hell of a find. Did it have change in the case? cause you probably stole it from a busker who was off taking a piss.

^yup.

The frets are usualy "pretty good" but rarly are they as good as they can be without a $40 fret dressing.
Warmoth actually states on their website that the frets will need some work. It's things like this that make me appreciate just how good my Schecter was right from the store.

Well, I have another idea as to why the bridge pickup sounds like crap. The pole pieces don't line up with the strings. Obviously I was supposed to get an F-spaced pickup. Could this be the problem? Is it worth replacing it (I'd stick the Super Distortion in my Schecter so it wouldn't be much of a loss)?

Edit: Jost to clarify, F-spaced (or trembucker spaced) is wider than normal, right?

I'd love it if this were all it took to solve the problem, but I don't see how such a small difference could make a huge difference in sound.

Last edited by mnbaseball91 at May 13, 2005,
I really doubt it's my problem after doing some research.

I redid all the wiring last night and taped my connections. There's absolutely no noise anymore, and the neck and middle pickups sound great. The output from the Super Distortion seems about right, but there's almost no bass coming from it. I can't figure out what went wrong.

I also tightened the truss rod - apparently, I had a major bow in the neck. Hopefully that will help with the action.

I tried to get the scratches out. Corderoy, your laquer thinner idea didn't do anything. I also tried buffing them out, and that made no difference either. I'm taking it to get some help tomorrow so maybe they'll have some ideas. If any of you have other ideas, let me know. The scratches are white opaque lines if that helps.

The neck is now strait and I'm starting to doubt I need the frets leveled after all.

I was able to stablalize the single coil by putting a piece of sponge under it. That worked much better than springs would have.

I nailed down the sound I'm getting from the Super Distortion - it's what you hear when you press your wah pedal all the way forward. Lots of treble, no bass, and everything detuned slightly. I emailed Dimarzio about the Super Distortion. Hopefully I'll hear back from them next week. If they don't suggest anything that works, I'll replace it with a Seymour Duncan of some sort - either a JB trembucker or Custom Custom trembucker most likely. If that works, I'll then try putting the Super Distortion in my Schecter. If it sounds good, I'll leave it. If it still sounds crappy, I'll see what I can do about getting a refund - either from music123.com or from Dimarzio.

Originally posted by mnbaseball91
I tried to get the scratches out. Corderoy, your laquer thinner idea didn't do anything. I also tried buffing them out, and that made no difference either. I'm taking it to get some help tomorrow so maybe they'll have some ideas. If any of you have other ideas, let me know. The scratches are white opaque lines if that helps.

Lets double check and see if you did it right.

The lacquer thinner needs to be painted into the scratches. Keep working it in untill the white lines turn clear. You might need so use a pipe cleaner or tooth brush to really work it in there, but keep working it in untill everything turns clear.

After that spray some of your laquer into a cup (or something) then take your paint brush, dip it into the laquer. Now put a drop of the laquer into the scratch. If 1 drop doesn't fill it then do it again. You want to be able to see the laquer just bubble over the top of the rest of the guitar.

After it dries for a little while you should have a small bump of laquer over the scratch. This is when you get the razor blade and level it off.

The laquer thinner's only purpose is to turn the white, back clear again before you fill the scratch with laquer. It will not actually soften the laquer enough to fill the scratch on it's own.

If that is what you did then I'm not sure what to tell you... Perhaps AlGeEater knows what to do.
It looks like I didn't give the laquer thinner enough of a chance. Do I just let it sit on the surface until something happens, or should I take something (like a pipecleaner) and actually dig out the white line?

Edit: I've been browsing the Seymour Duncan forums, and one of the suggestions they all seem to give to people who say their tone is too trebly and not smooth enough is to match up 250k pots with humbuckers. Should I give that a try? I know I hadn't complained about it, but I had thought my tone wasn't quite as warm as I would have liked. I attributed it to the rosewood neck and ebony fretboard, but would 250k pots help?

Last edited by mnbaseball91 at May 15, 2005,
from wha ti understand, the toothbrush or pipecleaner is just to get he thinner in the scraches, and let you have to wait fro them to trun from white to clear.
Sometimes the thinner will just sit on top of the white scratches so yeah... It's a good idea to work it in there then let it sit for a few minutes to soak in..

If you have already filled the scratches with laquer when they were still white, then you may need to get a razor blade and cut the old laquer out of the scratch so that the thinner can get in there. Because it's still white that would mean that the laquer didn't really bond to the other laquer and so it shouldn't be too hard to do.
I'll give that a try. Thanks!

PS: If anybody knows about the pots, that'd be great.

Well 250k pots will give a brighter sound, so i say give it a go its only like $5 for a couple of pots so its no great loss if you dont like it. Have you tryed ajusting the height of the pup??
Originally posted by Generalpwnt
It would be so cool if u drilled a hole right thru the center of ur guitar.

Looking for people to record sound clips for UG, click here if interested...
*reported*

PF: Post deleted.
LastFM
my deviantART
Quote by saintjimmy99
thank you kindly. now feel free to put a quote from me in your sig that says whatever you like.
Last edited by power freak at May 23, 2005,
IT WORKS!!!!!

Someone on the SD board suggested switching the black and red wires, so I did and it works great. I just checked my email, and there was a message from Dimarzio tech support saying the same thing. All systems are go!

^ So the Super Distortion is sounding fine now? How does it sound?
LastFM
my deviantART
Quote by saintjimmy99
It sounds a lot darker than I expected, which is a good thing. It's very powerful, but at the same time it's a lot clearer than the bridge pickup in my Schecter. In other words, I AM Phil Collen!

Haha, glad to hear it works.

Just a simple wiring problem after all.

Edit : Would it be possible for a mod to just delete that 'BUY AN IPOD' post? It's in multiple threads, and is annoying to scroll down that far.
Last edited by Mascot at May 16, 2005,
Oh, I forgot to mention...

The Super Distortion has the best cleans of any bridge pickup I've ever played. Wierd? Maybe, but I'm lovin it!

^ Yes, please!
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.