cuculici1
ummmmm.........
179 IQ
I just recently started playing acoustic, and I'm learning smells like teen spirit and paranoid. I was wondering if I should bother playing the solo parts of the two songs or just wondering if I should play guitar solos written for the electric in general. If so, any suggestions on specific solos that would sound good on the acoustic?
kelmesjev
UG Newbie
13 IQ
solos are a lot harder to do on an acoustic, even if you have a cutaway, because the strings don't bend or sustain as easily. try it either way if you want - i know some people that like to play hendrix songs and solos on acoustic, where some keep the solos to a minimum and work around the lower notes with chords. give it a shot and see what you like to play more.
scouter
UG Newbie
12 IQ
Get down your chords first.. when i first started i made the mistake of trying to nail all these solos.. then when i wanted to write my own stuff i didnt know how scales and all that crapped worked so i basically had to go back and learn the basics.. but may i suggest playing acoustic stuff with acoustic guitar for now.. just easy chord songs.. as you get better you will kinda know you should just start playing tougher stuff and eventually solos.. .. i dont know if that helps at all.
Don't play what's there, play what's not there. ~Miles Davis
met@l_$pike
180 IQ
if you only have acoustic (which i think so) then dont look too much into soloin, maybe a few simple ones like RHCP californication or some other simple one....but i recommend you just practice your techniques specially legato, alternate pickin, sweep pickin (a bit harder on acoustic), string skippin, etc...sound like a lot but after a few months of a few hours a day dedicated to this, you'll be in condition to play a lot of solos you thought were too hard (the hardest part of a solo is just the learnin it bit by bit, cuz the speed, etc is something that hard work will pay off after in not too much time) and you if you reach this point then buy an electric and boy you'll be impressin yourself
tfkaddict
I need stress relief ;)
11 IQ
There's nothing wrong with trying to learn solo's on an acoustic. I love to take them from songs, and play them on my acoustic, the only problem is that cause its acoustic you're generally stuck at abotu the 17th fret, so if the solo goes farther, then you may be screwed.

Having said that, there are a ton of songs whose riffs/solos sound great on acoustic, its just alot harder to try and do the hammer ons, tapping (which does work btw), and bending.

Quote by froberg
well, isn't the fact that you cant play good charlotte or linking park the main reason for why you should buy an acoustic?

electrik
1,264 IQ
master of puppets - metallica 1st solo on acoustic is nice
folk_rocknroll
UG Newbie
221 IQ
My advice to you would be get eric clapton unplugged and learn signe and the whole rest of the album, Dee is great to
Taco Wallace
Werewolf on Strat
10 IQ
Personally, I've gotten better at acoustic solos from Robert Johnson tabs. You can use little variations on the rythym portions of his songs to fashion together some decent solos, and that's easier than it sounds considering his use of alternate tunings that allow chords to be formed with one finger. Not many sites have his tabs though.
Squire Strat
Line 6 30 Watt Amp
No effects, all evil....
Last edited by Taco Wallace at May 5, 2005,
eastern_riffs
UG Psychologist
875 IQ
Try playing Santana's stuff.He has some nice solos.

Godsmack's last album,the other side,has some great solos on the acoustic.Then there's Nothing else matters-Metallica.

There is really no problem in playing solos on the acoustic.Spanish songs have like great finger-picking stuff,and they're all played on the acoustic.Dont listen to anyone who says you cant play solos on acoustic,its all blah.And those who say that you dont get sustain and the bending in acoustics,it doesnt really matter.There are solos written on acoustics,play those.
I don't mean what I write in my posts.So don't argue back on it,and don't check me..Because,though I don't mean them,they are the only way I can increase my post count.
ugm2kaar
A junior doctor
22 IQ
Eric Clapton's unplugged stuff is good. It ranges from the simple ones to more challenging ones. Try them and see how it goes.
Good music is everywhere so quit dissing others ok?
tubadude
I do something. . .
1,797 IQ
tenacious D songs have solos in them, there cool and acoustic
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
seljer
UG Resident
1,382 IQ
As far as nirvana goes you can learn the solos since, I think paranoid would be a little harder but...why not?
BadMoFo
UG's Cliche Rocker
59 IQ
I am convinced that you can play any solo on an acoustic. But some are harder than others and it may not sound exactly like the original electric version. But if you practice enough you can do it. I play Freebird on acoustic and it sounds great (to me anyway).

Also, as others have suggested, if you are starting out, stick to the basics first before you try more complicated stuff. It will only frustrate you.
Mines the one that says Bad Mother F***** on it.
reef_d
UG Newbie
401 IQ
metal and rock solos dont sound good on an acoustic anyway. try some blues
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his
rawknrolloutlaw
The next Ted Nugent!!!
61 IQ
Lets see,Eric Clapton stuff is a good start.The entire song including the solo for "The man who sold the world" by nirvana is really good and easy.Another one to play is Patienece by Guns n roses,helps you with soloing,fingerpicking and just about eveything else you can think of as far as the acoustic goes.
Shredded fingertips,O yeah,this is a good jam session..
cuculici1
ummmmm.........
179 IQ
I like all your suggestions, and I did end up playing the solo to smells like teen spirit and wish you were here. It actually didn't sound that bad, and they were fun to play, but I think they would sound better on an electric. Anyway, more suggestions are appreciated.
the one and only Jewish rocker
rocker8
10 IQ
try something easy like ironman, smoke in the water, playing sweet home alabama on the acoustic sounds different but in a good way.
slyman ship
UG Newbie
10 IQ
yeah i agree solos r a buga 2 play on acoustic but songs also sound really gr8 without solos. sorry no advice there but i just wanted 2 send a msg
MarmaladeSkies
19 IQ
if you want to play with an alternate tuning- try Zep's The Rain Song. Sounds soooo great and not too hard.
Forget all about that macho **** and learn how to play guitar!
Dog Eat Dog
UGs Blues lover
111 IQ
yeah i love the rain song it isnt to hard to play aswell
"An eye for an eye, makes the whole world blind"- Mahatma Ghandi
Ylviste
35 IQ
The only problem with playing the solos meant for the electric means that you can make them sound decent without any backing music on an electric but they flatout suck on an acoustic without any backing music
ryanismo
13 IQ
shine bY coLLective souL and touch, PeeL, and stand bY daYs of the new
notbrave
n00b
269 IQ
Quote by reef_d
metal and rock solos dont sound good on an acoustic anyway. try some blues

What blues songs would you recommend?
fenderdude06
the telecaster
1,042 IQ
this thread is over two years old why did you bring it back?

i reccomend some jack johnson.
johnos
641 IQ
In general just stay away from electric solos that go above the 12th fret (so alot of them) its gunna eb really hard to do on the acoustic and probably wont sound as good due to sustain and all that.

There are plenty of acoustic solos round, play them instead.

Try out the unplugged album by alice in chains.
Theres some nice stuff there
Dark_Althalus
UG's Avatar Obsessionist
154 IQ
Voices - Godsmack
But there's no sense crying over every mistake, you just keep on trying till you run out of cake.