Page 5 of 317
dude everyone likes pink floyd for a reason. THEY ARE AWESOME noone can argue with that ne ways but they are overrated but that cuz posers who say that they are fans but arent wear their shirts and stuff which brings a bad name to floyd.
if i had a shotgun you know what id do

id point that **** straight at the sky and shoot heaven on down for you
Originally posted by SoulStripper7
^^Well Roger has seen the site....

Did he have his own username haha
UG Blues Mafia
Founding Members: Forklifterer, Steve Cropper, Crzyrckgtrst28, and TNfootballfan62
PM one of us for membership opportunities.

www.ultimateblues.cjb.net
Forumers Needed.
Originally posted by SydBarretLives
I got DSOTM Wish you were here and the wall live. Kinda wish I had the regular wall but i got ithe live version as a christmas present and it does have a sweet book with it, and I dont want to spend 30$ just to get the studio version. Whats the next CD that I should buy. I'm thinkin Animals. Are the songs on this like there other songs. I know theres 5 songs so could someone please go through the songs and tell me if there a soft song, a hard song or what other Floyd song it sounds like. I'll probably get Piper at the Gates of Dawn sometime. Whats the music like on this, since there was a different singer/guitar player/songwriter it had to have been different. Then I'll probably pick up Delicate Sound of Thunder. I believe thats the one with "On the turning away" and "Learning to Fly" on it. Is that a good one. What are other good CD's. And also what songs does David sing and which ones does Roger sing.

Get Meddle..... Echoes is probably Pink Floyd's greatest composition.
Originally posted by MountainJam
Actually Roger did not have a big head at the outset, when Syd was the main performer of the band he was noticed the most because of his talent and looks. In fact when Gilmour joined the band everyone thought Gilmour would take over the band because he was a triple-threat (singing, songwriting, and guitar). Yet Roger Waters showed his talent and gradually became the main songwriter along with contributions from Rick Wright, David Gilmour, and once and awhile from Nick Mason. Yet Roger gradually got more and more songs on each album and began to sing more (because his lyrics most of the time suited Rogers voice better) so gradually he pushed aside the rest of the band from big contributions. In fact Roger Waters even kicked Rick Wright out of the band, because he didn't think Floyd needed Rick Wright, although Rick was obviously a huge contributor to Floyd's sound. Roger even made it clear that he would go on to a solo career cause he didn't think he needed Floyd to make a good album. In fact he gave Flod a choice "I've got two ideas The Wall and Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking you choose one and I'm doing the other one for my solo CD." Yet as he proved in his solo album his lyrics mean nothing without good music to accompany it. In fact even on his solo CD "The Pros and Cons of Hitchiking" the great Eric Clapton could not prevent that CD from being subpar. Therefore i believe Pink Floyd can only be good as a unit because without a essential part of the band they produce music that should dissapoint even them when you compare it to their great CD's (Dark Side of the Moon, Wish you were here, piper at the gates of daw, etc.)

I was under the impresssion that Rick Wright left on his own terms because he went into a sort of self denial that he wasn't contributing anything to Floyd. He felt that since Animals and then moreso the Wall, he didn't contribute anything (which I think is totally untrue). I've heard that Waters and Gilmour question Mason's role and whether they really needed him.
^^No, Roger fired Rick...but he wasn't contributing because Roger was taking total control of the band and I think he felt he couldn't give any input, though Roger fired him because of his lack of input. No one questioned Nick Mason's role in the band as Roger was probably closer to him than anyone else. A few years back Roger called nick and he played Set The Controls...on stage with Roger.
I'm a girl, dammit! Member #1 of the Angus Young Fan Club. PM Evil Kid 93 to join.
Quote by knerken
You're my hero, Soulstripper!
Oh... well thanks for the clear up.... errrmm..... PINK FLOYD RULES!
*Official Deadhead*

The times they are a-changin'
Actually it was all Roger Waters fault. When they were recording (I believe the Wall) everyone recorded in turns; Nick Mason finished first, than Roger, than Dave. Yet when it was Rick Wrights turn to go he refused, because he was planning on going on summer vacation. Roger Waters got upset and wanted Rick Wright out of the band. So Rick Wright, rather than fight, decided to step down and just become a payed player for live shows, like Snowy White and Dick Parry. So he was officially kicked out of the band, and signed a contract that prevented him from rejoining the band. Thats why when Pink Flyod recorded Momentary Lapse of Reason they were not officially allowed to have Rick Wright in the band, so he was payed player but he contributed as much as any other "real" band member. He finally rejoined the band by the Divsion Bell recordings.

Edit: Nick Mason was a very lazy drummer though. In the Divsion Bell recordings he payed people to come in and play for him, or used a machine to do the beat.
"There is no dark side in the moon, Matter of fact, its all dark"

Are there any queers in the theatre tonight?

*Official Deadhead*
Roger Waters got upset and wanted Rick Wright out of the band. So Rick Wright, rather than fight, decided to step down and just become a payed player for live shows, like Snowy White and Dick Parry
Correct. Waters wanted Wright out of the band because of his lack of contributions, but Wright realized that he wasn't contributing much. The deal with Waters, though, was either Wright leaves, or the Wall doesn't get finished (considering Waters wrote most of it, he had the authority to take the tapes so they were not finished). Mason and Gilmour, however, fought on Wrights side, and they reached a compromise that Wright would finish the album and play the live shows, but then he would leave.
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
Last edited by BrainDamage at Jul 10, 2005,
Pink Floyd is great, I think David Gilmour is phenomenal and he gets the respect he deserves here. I loved watching their performance at Live 8.
Proverbs 1:7:
"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline."
President of the U.F.O./ Michael Schenker fanclub. PM me to join.
Originally posted by BrainDamage
Correct. Waters wanted Wright out of the band because of his lack of contributions, but Wright realized that he wasn't contributing much. The deal with Waters, though, was either Wright leaves, or the Wall doesn't get finished (considering Waters wrote most of it, he had the authority to take the tapes so they were not finished). Mason and Gilmour, however, fought on Wrights side, and they reached a compromise that Wright would finish the album and play the live shows, but then he would leave.

Your mostly right. Except Gilmours and Mason didn't really help that much, the reason Waters took over so easily is because the other members of Pink Floyd tried as hard as they could to avoid confronting their problems. So when they noticed what Roger was doing they just kept playing, gradually losing their status and importance(in Roger's view) in the band. I'm pretty sure Gilmour and Mason didn't do much at all in helping resolve Rick Wrights problem, at least that's what Nick Mason said.

*Official Deadhead*
Another thing that happened around that time is that Roger and went to Nick and Rick and said (i paraphrase), 'ok here's the deal, I'm bringing in Bob Ezrin to come in and do the producing with me and Dave.' But Rick wanted to have a part in the producing, so Roger allowed him.
But he never contributed in the recording, essentially sitting there and being a producer. Eventually he was asked to step down from his producing duties.
Also the band had a schedule that said they would do their recording in the late spring and early summer. But Rick didn't get his started in time, and when he was told he would have to record during the summer vacation he refused point blank. Roger was shocked and confused by this, as i would have been if i was doing so much work and have others contribute so little.
pink floyd was one of my favorite performances at live 8 cept for the who but they come in at an incredible close second
((_))
o(>.<o
~((_))~
o o
This is monkey, he shall beat the crap outta that freakin' bunny. Sig him to kill bunny!
Quote by 1337osaurous
Fuck her.

As in, actually preform sexual intercourse with her.

As in, put your penis in her vagina.

What are you talking about, the Floyd sucked at Live 8

Just Kidding
I remember Dave saying that he and Nick agreed that Rick should be fired.

When Rick went on vacation, Roger told him to come back and finish his parts. Rick refused (I've heard him say this), and he was told that he was out of the band. Though he wanted to do the shows, which he enjoyed, but, as you all said, as a paid musician thats not with the band.
I'm a girl, dammit! Member #1 of the Angus Young Fan Club. PM Evil Kid 93 to join.
Quote by knerken
Originally posted by MountainJam
Your mostly right. Except Gilmours and Mason didn't really help that much, the reason Waters took over so easily is because the other members of Pink Floyd tried as hard as they could to avoid confronting their problems. So when they noticed what Roger was doing they just kept playing, gradually losing their status and importance(in Roger's view) in the band. I'm pretty sure Gilmour and Mason didn't do much at all in helping resolve Rick Wrights problem, at least that's what Nick Mason said.

Not quite. Wright was actually a robot which malfunctioned while they were recording, so Waters reprogrammed him, slipping in a program to control Mason and Gilmours minds, thus allowing him to take over the band quite easlily. He then had the robot kill Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin, steal knickers from clotheslines near his house, and destroy Bob Doles personality.
^^

I'm pretty sure Gilmour and Mason didn't do much at all in helping resolve Rick Wrights problem, at least that's what Nick Mason said.
ok, when I said "fought" I meant "didn't agree that Rick should be fired"

I remember Dave saying that he and Nick agreed that Rick should be fired.
Wright said: "I fought my corner, Dave and Nick would say 'This is not right, we think its unfair.' When we had a meeting Roger said, 'Look either you leave or I'm not going to let you record my material for the Wall."
Quote by Thefallofman
I agree.. Floyd is one of THE greatest of all times. Whether it is Mudmen, Saucerful of Secrets, Mom. Lapse, DSOTM, Meddle, See Emily Play, whatever, they were/are absolutely astounding.

I saw them only 3 times. On show #2, one guy I met in Lexington saw them for 4 shows in one week. He was doing a road trip, following them across 2 states... Said they re-arranged the songs for every show. No 2 were alike. Yes and Zep were like that.

I wish it were not true, but I don't believe a band like Pink Floyd will ever happen again. You can't pull magic out of a hat. One of a kind. I DO wish they would do a short reunion tour this year. Maybe do 10=12 songs at each show. Wouldn;t that be great?

Has anyone got the Knebworth 1990 concert with Floyd? DG put all the fx in his bag on Run Like Hell.. Best version I ever heard.

What is a shame is that RW had to go weird for so long. His voice and Dave G's were meant to sing together. Imagine the stuff they could have done in the last 20 years had they really tried to work it out. And worked together..

Z

All that is gone, and all thats to come,
And everything under the sun is in tune
but the sun is eclipsed by the moon.

Actually, there is no dark side of the moon.
^that's exactly what i heard (meant for Braindamage)

But apparantly Rick got a little lucky. As a non-bandmember, and a sallaried musician for the wall, he was the only (ex)bandmember
to get paid for the live shows.
Has anyone read Nick Mason's table book on Floyd? I am seriously thinking about buying it. The previews in Amazon looked pretty darn good.

Z
^^I think I have it. Is it the one with the weird looking pig on the cover?
Quote by Fallon, Jones & Sage Francis

"By the way my name is Marcus. But if you like you can call me Sensei."

American Idol - or as I call it, the Gong Show Rip-Off

According to #Yeezuz, Kanye West is a god. As if I needed more reasons to be an atheist.
I read it, it was really interesting. Mason is quite a funny character himself.

On the cover It had a mirror reflecting half of the moon with cheese inside. It's wierd.
I will close with one thought. Rick Wright is one of the most underrated and underappreciated keyboardists of all time. No one could do what he does. Dave tried Greg Dechart from pulsar for his live solo tours and Greg is very good. He is just no R Wright. Rick is just perfect for Floyd, and his prolific chord work, and leslie work is immaculate. Perfect. Shame Roger could not see this. Roger is a great bass player, composer and singer. Just has an edgy, quirky personality.

And for the record, I have read several books on P FLoyd that quoted Gilmour as saying R.Waters thrived on cutting people to shreds with his wicked wit. Richard took it too seriously, and it really, really hurt him. DG said Roger picked on RWright cause he was a nice guy and would not fight back. He was still in therapy in the 90s because of it, I have read.

Gilmour has said in more than a few books that he took it upon himself to rehabilitate Rick and Nicks egos after the bashing they got from Waters. When Floyd started touring in 87, Nick and Wright were not even wired into the mixers. It was only in the second month of the tour, when Gilmour heard Nick and Rick practicing before one concert, that he realized they had become their old competent selves, and were ready to get back to live performances-hence they were miked up and recorded for the very next show, per Daves instructions (for just one of many resources check: The COmplete Guide to Pink Floyd by Andy Mabbett. Omnibus Press, London, UK)

Z
^Wow in Nick Mason's book he softens things up considerably, I'll have to check your recource, Z
Originally posted by Z Alex G

And for the record, I have read several books on P FLoyd that quoted Gilmour as saying R.Waters thrived on cutting people to shreds with his wicked wit. Richard took it too seriously, and it really, really hurt him. DG said Roger picked on RWright cause he was a nice guy and would not fight back. He was still in therapy in the 90s because of it, I have read.

Z

Oh man, I always knew Waters was somewhat mean, but I never knew it went that far! Now I'm even more suprised about how they got back together for Live 8! Its great how they could put aside all of that and still come together to play a great show. Anyone know if their relationships have improved since the concert?
Waters is such a dick but you gotta understand he watched one of his best friends go loony in front of him and he lost his father at an early age.
Quote by Brothers_In_Arms
The Darkness are kind of a classic rock band, despite being a current band, so i though id put it here.
Yeh all my Floyd information I got from Inside out (great book, you should reallly read it; not only does Nick Mason have a picture perfect memory but he is also a great writer and very witty) various Pink floyd sites, related band biographies, and CD's.

*Official Deadhead*
^^I get it from magazines, websites, interviews, etc.

I should really pick up a copy of Mason's book...
Quote by Thefallofman
Originally posted by MeGaDeth2314
Oh man, I always knew Waters was somewhat mean, but I never knew it went that far! Now I'm even more suprised about how they got back together for Live 8! Its great how they could put aside all of that and still come together to play a great show. Anyone know if their relationships have improved since the concert?
Most GOOD bands will get together if its for a charity. Did you hear that Pink Floyds record sales increased 1000% from the day they performed at Live 8? David gave ALL the profit to charity from those sales.
Quote by gpderek09
because geoff owns your soul. duh.
^^too bad the record sales were of a greatist hits album
Quote by Thefallofman
Originally posted by BrainDamage
^^too bad the record sales were of a greatist hits album
Yeah, alot of people just buy those becuase they have the hits, and thats what they hear all the time. Most of the good songs IMO arent on there.
Quote by gpderek09
because geoff owns your soul. duh.
Originally posted by Stula1031
Waters is such a dick but you gotta understand he watched one of his best friends go loony in front of him and he lost his father at an early age.

Roger Waters is not a dick. Do you even know the guy? Yeah he tried to take control of the band, but I'd like to see your ego stay small after the success of all the albums you made.
Quote by knerken
dude roger waters is not a dick, hes a damn good musician and seriously you probably would say you wont leave your band but no doubt you would if fame came with it.

Originally posted by SouthernRocker9
dude roger waters is not a dick, hes a damn good musician and seriously you probably would say you wont leave your band but no doubt you would if fame came with it.

o and same thing with like taking over

^^Just use the edit button, man.
Quote by knerken
I was listenin to the radio yesterday... Floyd turned down 200 million dollars for a reunion tour. That pretty much proves that they will never tour again.
UG Blues Mafia
Founding Members: Forklifterer, Steve Cropper, Crzyrckgtrst28, and TNfootballfan62
PM one of us for membership opportunities.

www.ultimateblues.cjb.net
Forumers Needed.
Last edited by Crzyrckgtrst28 at Jul 12, 2005,
200 million dollars, pfft. . . chump change
Originally posted by altronataku
i always have respect for retards.

they remind me that i havent hit rock bottom yet.
^ yeah, and you can't scrounge up enough money for a lousy PA

But i doubt PF would've reunited just for the money anyway, there would have to be a motive