Page 1 of 3
xsanatariumx
Shredtastic Imagination
718 IQ
I plat alot of Pantera, Metallica, BLS, and other assorted metal I want a tube amp that is gonna sound good for giggin this style of music...I also really enjoy softer classical stuff too though so its gonna be warm sounding as well I want to know how much itll cost to get the Head, and Cab , orrr if its a combo how much the combo will be thanks
Mascot
UG Addict
894 IQ
Uhh, obviously some type of fairly expensive botique amp that'll run you around $2500 for the head and cab.

ENGL, Bogner, Soldano, VHT, Diezel, and other amps of that sort.
randall_truscot
UG Dime Club Member
262 IQ
peavey triple xxx head, is one of the heaviest
Jackson DKMGT w/EMG 81+85
Ibanez RG321 w/SD Invader
Ibanez S470
80's TS9
Crybaby
ISP Noise Decimator
SKB PS25 PB
Behringer GMX212
Line 6 Spider2
Behringer 400wat ultrastack
DrawArms
177 IQ
mesa!!!
Gear:
72' Gibson Les Paul Custom Black Beauty
MIM Telecaster Relic.
Gibson SG Standard
Peavey Classic 100 w/
72' Marshall Spec Ed. 4x12
xsanatariumx
Shredtastic Imagination
718 IQ
Ok you guys are naming off random brands again such as mesa and peavey ... how many watts ..what do they go for CDN ??... are they good for gigging How much are they gonna cost me...?
GuitarN00b
UG's Ninja Guitarist
593 IQ
sheesh mascot - i see you give a lot of responses, but not an incredible amount of good answers...

i do know that the dimebag uses randall warheads - those might be worth a look
although not really the same style, i'm a big fan of Peavey XXX and the Peavey 6505 series amps.

EDIT: just saw the price thing...
the Peavey XXX (w/ accompanying cab) goes for about...$1500 i'm guessing - the Peavey 6505 might be a bit more
Crunchmeister
UG Monkey
946 IQ
First, tell us how much you can spend, then we can guide you towards some amps.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
greatone_12
Mr. Butlertron ...Wezley
41 IQ
a ss amp will do distortion very well, better than a lot of tube amps twice their price. but you also like smoother stuff which is a tube amp quality no doubt so i would get a pevy xxx and a distortion pedal for metal
Mr. Butlertron are you A handsome B smart C scrap metal or D all of the above
Scangrade thats easy I'm A and B but not C, so it can't be all of the above, but you can't fill in two ovals Nooo!
Mr. Butlertron the answer is C... you fuckwad
Mascot
UG Addict
894 IQ
Originally posted by GuitarN00b
sheesh mascot - i see you give a lot of responses, but not an incredible amount of good answers...

i do know that the dimebag uses randall warheads - those might be worth a look
although not really the same style, i'm a big fan of Peavey XXX and the Peavey 6505 series amps.

EDIT: just saw the price thing...
the Peavey XXX (w/ accompanying cab) goes for about...$1500 i'm guessing - the Peavey 6505 might be a bit more

What do you mean? He asked for an amp that was good for metal, so I gave him a few brands that makes amazing hi-gain amps. Then he asked for a price, so I gave him a price on them.

Whats wrong with me response.

I'm dissapointed in myself.
xsanatariumx
Shredtastic Imagination
718 IQ
okay haha my price range is about 1000-1300 CDN and yes i was looking at the warhead and loved it but u urself Crunch said Im better off getting a tube or a bandit cuz most SS amps lose there tone at about 5 but the Bandit can go to about 7 thats why im lookin for tube...but im still very interested in the Warheads i lllovvee there tone
GuitarN00b
UG's Ninja Guitarist
593 IQ
Originally posted by Mascot
What do you mean? He asked for an amp that was good for metal, so I gave him a few brands that makes amazing hi-gain amps. Then he asked for a price, so I gave him a price on them.

Whats wrong with me response.

I'm dissapointed in myself.

well, at $2500, the amp better be able to make some nice sounding noise...
isn't it pretty obvious that an amp at that price would be at least decent?
xxgenocide98xx
UG Nerd
2,117 IQ
Originally posted by greatone_12
a ss amp will do distortion very well, better than a lot of tube amps twice their price. but you also like smoother stuff which is a tube amp quality no doubt so i would get a pevy xxx and a distortion pedal for metal

XXX are tube amps, general concensious is that distortion pedals + tube amps = hang yourself.

Laney, Marshall JCMs with overdrive pedals (maybe more than one, perhaps) before preamp, and Peavey are all good for cheap alternatives..

VH100r and GH50L/100L (i think thats the model) for Laney, around 600(GH-50L)-1200(VH100r) for the head.

JCM800 and 900 for Marshall, overdrives like Tubescreamer and DOD-250 are my favorite overdrives for starters.. anywhere from $500(jcm900) to $1000(jcm800 dual channel w/ reverb) and aorund 50-200 a pop for overdrives.

JSX (can be used for some more melodic metal) XXX, 5150/5150II for Peavey. 5150s and XXX go for around 600-700, 5150II are around 800ish and the JSX are about 1000 ish used.

Hand Wired/Botique amps:

Deizel: Just about anything...
Bogner: Extacy and Ubershall are insane.
ENGL: Savage 120, Powerball, Fireball
Mesa/Boogie dual/triple rectifiers, Stilettos(I put these here because they are in the same price range)
Soldano SLO

Thats just about it for amps.. as you can see there are two distinct classes, for the second set of amps, expect to pay at least $2,000 USD for most (except recitifers) new, and you're lucky to find them used. The first set of amps are relatively common, come in both combos and heads, and you can pick up under $1200 for a head, around 700 for a combo.

Whoever said that stuff ot mascot was really rude, he answered the question rather well.

All figures in USD, convert to canadian accordingly. best bang for the buck: VH100r, 5150II, ENGL Powerball. I know from experience the ENGL and the Laney have excellent clean channels, the 5150II has a better than average clean, as well.

Edit: I saw your price range of around 1000 USD and all I can say is that you can't get much for 'best metal amp' at a range like that. Look for VH100r, and Peavey 5150IIs. I saw a vh100r half stack for like $1000 USD on ebay, so good luck on that one.
Last edited by xxgenocide98xx at May 24, 2005,
Mascot
UG Addict
894 IQ
Well, if he was asking here, I would assume he isn't a amp guru, and believe me, I though Marshalls were the highest gain amps ever until I came onto UG.

If he is asking for a good hi-gain tube amp, I'm gonna start naming names.

For your price range, I would look into Peavey XXX, Peavey 5150/6505, and probably my favorites out of the ones I'm going to suggest, the Laney VH100R and the Laney GH100L.
xsanatariumx
Shredtastic Imagination
718 IQ
which one of those peaveys is known as the Bandit ???...everyone keeps talkin about the bandit but i dont know which amp it is thanks for all the advice u guys odds are im gonna go with a peavey or the warhead
xsanatariumx
Shredtastic Imagination
718 IQ
I dont really know its just that Crunch and alot of others were talkin about them and they seemed like a really good versatile amp.. I really would like a tube but if there outta my price range then im not gonna stress out over it majorly ...so im just chekin all my options
jammin
Gear Head
32 IQ
What's with all the Bandit hype around here? I've played one before, it wasn't anything special IMO.
GuitarN00b
UG's Ninja Guitarist
593 IQ
the thing about the peavey bandit is you can prolly get older ones for about $70 used - VERY good deal

what amp are you using now? have you considered saving up a little more...about $500 more, and going for your dream amp instead of taking stops along the way?
Mascot
UG Addict
894 IQ
Originally posted by GuitarN00b
the thing about the peavey bandit is you can prolly get older ones for about $70 used - VERY good deal

what amp are you using now? have you considered saving up a little more...about $500 more, and going for your dream amp instead of taking stops along the way?

He's right. You don't want to have a small little SS practice amp, and then move up to a slightly larger SS amp thats a few more watts louder. It's just stupid.

Go for something that'll last you, because if you don't, I guarantee you're going to want to sell the Bandit and move on next year.
xsanatariumx
Shredtastic Imagination
718 IQ
You know what ur all right I should look into something with alot more power or more versatilily...Right now ive got a Line6 Spider II 75 watt the presets are okay but once u go past 6 the sound goes bad
jammin
Gear Head
32 IQ
Go for a tube amp. They sound better when you turn them up.
FlightofIcarus
Tab Contributor
5,028 IQ
A few suggestions...

Marshall JCM 800 - With an overdrive pedal, it's got to be the best Marshall for metal. Although known to be single channel amps, many dual channel versions have been going on Ebay lately. An amp very rich in mid-range, but very warm and smooth sounding. Think Maiden, Priest, BLS, Slayer, etc. They all used this amp at one point or still do. If you want a scooped sound, get an EQ pedal for it. It's basically the "classic" metal amp.

Mesa Boogie F-50 - Some people say they're the weakest thing boogie has to offer, but I still like them. Rediculously loud, heavy crunch, and a very good clean channel. I saw a used head at a guitar center for $700.

Mesa Boogie Rectifiers - Awesome amps. Really, really loud, tons of gain and bottom end. Best geared for a more modern kind of tone IMO, but it'll give you all the crunch you want, and then some.

The only Peavey amp I could recommend that I've played is the transtube bandit. I haven't played the 5150/6505, which many people like, but I played a XXX and didn't really like it that much.

Also, for a hell of a lot of money, there's always botique stuff: Soldano, ENGL, Bogner, Framus, Diezel. Stuff like that.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60
- Fender Bassman 50 ('72)
- Fender 2x12 ('60s?)

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
GuitarN00b
UG's Ninja Guitarist
593 IQ
actually, i don think the bandit is a bad amp at all

anad something just occured to me - why do you want a stack?
DrawArms
177 IQ
Peavey 5150
Gear:
MIM Telecaster Relic.
Gibson SG Standard
Peavey Classic 100 w/
xsanatariumx
Shredtastic Imagination
718 IQ
no no no no i dont want a stack im looking for a halfstack or a combo around 150 watts SS or 80-100 watts Tube...
GuitarN00b
UG's Ninja Guitarist
593 IQ
well, based on how much you know, i would say you probably don't need a stack (or a halfstack) - but don't take that wrong, i really don't know about your needs in an amp

i believe the Peavey 6505 combo is just around $1k USD, and it's 60W tube through 2 speakers
xxgenocide98xx
UG Nerd
2,117 IQ
You can get 5150(old version of the 6505, exact same amp just different name to avoid copyright on the eddie van halen name.) combos in the USA used for around 400, i saw one in the paper the other day..

Personally I didn't really like the JCM800 I played, it didn't sound defined enough, thten again the volume was really low... so who knows?

I'd stick with Laney and Peavey for a cheaper high-gain tube amp..

Peavey bandits are great practice amps but I can't see someone using it for anything more really.
GuitarN00b
UG's Ninja Guitarist
593 IQ
i don't remember the exact wattage of the peavey bandit, but it's certainly more than can be reasonably used for bedroom practice...

and as to the used 5150...that's prolly a rare gem - i've never seen them go for that cheap
GuitarJunkie
UG Addict
1,433 IQ
peaver and or mesa...but a good modeling amp can get you hardcore tones too
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Because when I was younger I would wrap dollar bills around my wang while masturbating to get that extra dirty feeling.

Even though I quit doing it, it still turns me on when I see money.

Http://magnumman.dmusic.com
DrawArms
177 IQ
mesa single rec or dual with cab, end of story
Gear:
MIM Telecaster Relic.
Gibson SG Standard
Peavey Classic 100 w/
jammin
Gear Head
32 IQ
Now is not a good time to be buying 5150's on ebay, they're going for more than they ever have.
HopePoisoned
UG's Rack Head
304 IQ
Originally posted by Mascot
Uhh, obviously some type of fairly expensive botique amp that'll run you around $2500 for the head and cab.

ENGL, Bogner, Soldano, VHT, Diezel, and other amps of that sort.

genious

Originally posted by xxgenocide98xx
XXX are tube amps, general concensious is that distortion pedals + tube amps = hang yourself.

Laney, Marshall JCMs with overdrive pedals (maybe more than one, perhaps) before preamp, and Peavey are all good for cheap alternatives..

VH100r and GH50L/100L (i think thats the model) for Laney, around 600(GH-50L)-1200(VH100r) for the head.

JCM800 and 900 for Marshall, overdrives like Tubescreamer and DOD-250 are my favorite overdrives for starters.. anywhere from $500(jcm900) to $1000(jcm800 dual channel w/ reverb) and aorund 50-200 a pop for overdrives.

JSX (can be used for some more melodic metal) XXX, 5150/5150II for Peavey. 5150s and XXX go for around 600-700, 5150II are around 800ish and the JSX are about 1000 ish used.

Hand Wired/Botique amps:

Deizel: Just about anything...
Bogner: Extacy and Ubershall are insane.
ENGL: Savage 120, Powerball, Fireball
Mesa/Boogie dual/triple rectifiers, Stilettos(I put these here because they are in the same price range)
Soldano SLO

Thats just about it for amps.. as you can see there are two distinct classes, for the second set of amps, expect to pay at least $2,000 USD for most (except recitifers) new, and you're lucky to find them used. The first set of amps are relatively common, come in both combos and heads, and you can pick up under $1200 for a head, around 700 for a combo.

Whoever said that stuff ot mascot was really rude, he answered the question rather well.

All figures in USD, convert to canadian accordingly. best bang for the buck: VH100r, 5150II, ENGL Powerball. I know from experience the ENGL and the Laney have excellent clean channels, the 5150II has a better than average clean, as well.

Edit: I saw your price range of around 1000 USD and all I can say is that you can't get much for 'best metal amp' at a range like that. Look for VH100r, and Peavey 5150IIs. I saw a vh100r half stack for like $1000 USD on ebay, so good luck on that one.

also genious

i love boutique amps, and Laney and some Peaveys

i recommend the Fireball/Powerball, Laney VH100, Bogner Uberschall or Ecstacy, Diezel VH4...
-Mike
Last edited by HopePoisoned at May 25, 2005,
DrawArms
177 IQ
B-52 tube heads, 100w tri rect for $700, all tube
Gear:
MIM Telecaster Relic.
Gibson SG Standard
Peavey Classic 100 w/
jammin
Gear Head
32 IQ
Originally posted by DrawArms
B-52 tube heads, 100w tri rect for $700, all tube

Do you realize that your opinion has changed four times in the course of one thread?
frog_friend
686 IQ
ENGL deffinetly, fireball if you want just straight up gain, and heaviness. Powerball if you want to have more options, and still have huge amounts of gain. either are gret choices, just depends what kinda of money you have. Put some high out put pick ups in your guitar and you'll be in heaven(or hell whichever you pefer).
frog_friend and WGP: UG's Kramer brotherhood

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
founder of the "ENGL amps" fanclub. PM me to join
xsanatariumx
Shredtastic Imagination
718 IQ
how much is the fireball and the ENGL ??? ive never even heard of those ...im new to all this stuff, well...brands other than marshall haha
etherealprince
Gear Wh*re
98 IQ
You have two threads going, asking the same damn question.

WTF.
I downloaded a .exe once, opened it, and it pretty much nailed my computer, and yes, by nailed I mean, got it's **** out and shoved it in my computers ass.
xxgenocide98xx
UG Nerd
2,117 IQ
Originally posted by xsanatariumx
how much is the fireball and the ENGL ??? ive never even heard of those ...im new to all this stuff, well...brands other than marshall haha

You can get used powerballs for around 1800ish, they resell at almost new value. I bought a mint condition powerball for $1565, but i got really lucky. lol

They can do EVERYTHING, though. I can get a 5150 sound, a Marshall JCM sound, a Rectifier sound.. They have TONS of options..

Open/focused mids, bottom boost, and four channels.. clean/crunch/lead soft and lead high...