Page 1 of 12
casualty01
Here all along
2,622 IQ
ok... the last one was rather old and stagnant, and people seem to be ignoring, just not noticing it or feel they won't get a decent answer because it's so old... who knows.

either way, here's a new one. (the old one has been moved to the archives. if you had an open question going in the old one, please feel free to repost it in here. I apologize for the inconvenience.)

please use this thread and only this thread to post your band related questions/advice.

Rules Of The Thread

only 2 rules. failure to heed these rules will result in warnings. no exceptions. so please read them to avoid any confusion.

• no spam - pretty self explanitory. either post a question an answer or an update (i.e. a thank you if the answer helped, or an update on how everything worked out). that's it.

• no flaming - people are here to learn and or help others... there is no reason for any nasty comments or hateful posts. if you need further elaboration... read on.

- no flipping on out some member that tried to help but didn't answer the way you liked. perhaps they didn't understand the question as you intended. if you don't like an answer or think it wasn't very helpful say so but be respectful and perhaps try to re-word or re-explain what you meant.

- no random insults about someones band situation, their style of music or if you think their question is silly. everyone has their own style and level of knowledge... so while a question might seem "silly" or "pointless" to you, to them it might be a serious problem they're having. be respectful.

Some Tips For A More Detailed And Helpful Response

Explain your question as clearly and as detailed as possible.

below are some of the more common questions... not complete by any stretch of the imagination, but the more frequent ones have been covered and examples given to help give you an idea of what kind of things need to be related to the users in order to get a much better response to your situation.

Setlist Help - if you need help with set list development don't just say "hi, we're playing a show in a couple of months and I was wondering what songs we should learn to play? and in what order should we play them??"

in this instance some things to include would be...

• what style you play. - no point telling you to play Sweet Home Alabama if you're primarily a hardcore coverband

• list of tunes you guys already know. - again this will help people get a feel for what type of stuff you play and will provide them something to work with in helping you to create a setlist.

• your and your bands experience. - if you've only been playing for a couple of months then people will know better what to reccomed (i.e. some Nirvana instead of pantera lol)

• what kind of crowd you're going to be playing to? - are you playing a senior home? a friends backyard barbecue? a local firehouse? an all ages show at the local club? a roadhouse dive patroned mainly be 30+ yr. old men? all of these places and situations have their own vibe and need to be considered.

• what instruments do you have? - 1 guitar? 2? 3?? keyboards? individual vocalist? or does he play an instrument while singing? male or female vocalist? DJ? someone playing the spoons? all this goes a long way in recommending some songs when we know what you could or couldn't handle.

Questions On Getting a Gig - if you're wondering how to go about getting gigs, don't just ask "how do I get sum gigs?!??" .... include things like

• how old you are - certain venues aren't available to you if you're below a certain age and other venues are quite readily available and willing to have you when younger (ie. firehouses, VFW's, moose clubs, various lodges, youth clubs, PBA's etc.. )

• what style you play and what experience - it'd help to know what kind of stuff you play (genre? orignals? covers? mix? )and also if you have gigged before... what was the response? how many times have you played out? were you invited back?

• what type of gig you're looking for - are you looking to set up a showcase? looking to get on a local bill? get a recurring gig at a place? where? do you have other bands that you know and would like to set up a small festival type venue? all these things will grealy help any answers you may get.

• do you have a press kit or gig pack? - many places want a demo and a bit oof a press kit nowadays. do you have one? if not tell us a bit about your band. if so, what does it include?

all these things will grealy help any answers you may get.

questions about quitting or joining a band? - it's not gonna help you very much if you just ask "Hey I got a guitar and I love playin and I wanna be in a band what do I do??" ... or this band wants me to join them should I? or I don't like my band, should I quit? ...

things we need to know to help you better...
  • tell us about you - have you gigged regularly? are you a beginner? experienced? have you been in other bands? or will this be your first band .... things like that.

• tell us about the band - are they a serious gigging band that needs a guitarist or bassist? or are they just in it for fun? are they looking to be a serious band but just starting out? are they people you don't really know or long time friends?

• theirs and your style? - it helps to know if you click with the prospective band or if the prospective band member clicks with your band... stylistically

• Motivation - would you like to join their band? why? what do you hope to get out of it? how about quitting the band... why do you want to quit? personal reasons? you don't like their style? they aren't being serious? being too serious? lol...

• etc..

thinking of kicking or wanting to kick someone out of the band? - give us the details then. a simple "I wanna kick the bassist out of my band but I dun know how to do it?? should I just keep him? or just switch rehearsal days and don't tell him?".... no lol, that won't do at all. give us the dirt...

• tell us about them - age? experience? general attitude and temperment? are you friends with them? or are they just someone who you play with but don't really have a relationship with?

• reasons for wanting to get rid of them - is it their personality? are they just a horrible player? are they not taking it seriously? do they not click with the rest of the band as far as style goes? how about personality? are they ditching rehearsals? gigs? do they mess around during rehearsal? they forget tunes? etc.. or is it just a personal thing where you don't like them?

• the rest of the band - have you talked to them about it? do they feel the same way? are they opposed? why?

• etc..

Self Promotion? - ok... first a couple of things to know... cause we're not gonna be much help if all you give us is hi my band likes to play gigs and stuff but wanna know how to promote us and our shows

• the band - what do you play? how long? just getting started? gigging regularly but wanna know how to get a bigger draw? have a decent following but wanna know how to go about attracting label interest? is everyone in it for the long haul? all the members doing their part?

• actions so far? - what have you tried so far? radio? newspapers? fanizines? flyers around town? just word of mouth? do you have a website? is it a actual band website or a myspace or live journal site? any music up?

• soliciting labels - have you done anything as far as labels are concerned? if so, what? you have a bio? a press kit? a well recorded demo of 3 or 4 of your best tunes? have you gotten any response? if so, what was the response? is your demo on CD or tape? how did you package your presskit that you sent?

• etc..

again... this obviously isn't all the bases, but it should give you plenty of ideas on how to write out a well thought out clear and concise question in order to help us help you better.

thank you and enjoy

Cas-
slash_pwns
I'm baaaaaack
1,982 IQ
Originally posted by WindJammer
I'll pose the first question.

Is anyone in a situation where you clearly have a vision for songs, and you are insecure about other band members compromising that due to them having different ideas for the same song?

Not that I discourage my band members from incorporating elements, but do you give up part of a song that you do with your band to allow for creative leeway on the part of bandmates?

I don't see myself as a control freak, because I really just want to move my ideas to music. The problem is, everyone wants to and more than often ideas don't coincide. Anyone have a way in particular of making a band more democratic without eliminating any members?

I'm in that situation. I don't feel as if any of my freinds that play guitar are quite up to the theoretical, or technical ability of my taste, but my drummer friend is great. He's been playing for ages and likes to play complicated 'fast rock'. So I showed him some of my more complicated passages, in the style of Dream Theater (you could imagine) and he was... Kinda floored. He's the only one of my friends that had seen me play, and he doesnt want to be in a band with me, because he feels my vision (I guess you could call me a complete contol freak ) lacks his own creativity.

Its not bad that I write drum bass and guitar parts (keyboard, if I fell its needed) is it? Should I lay off?

Its much more understandable if you knew the age group here.... But I wont tell you that part
slash_620
Drivin' at night
579 IQ
try to use as much imput from band members as possible and maybe they will star to exceptt your ideas more.

acting to much like a control freak(not saying you r) might make your fellow band members resent you and not use your ideas to get back at you for not using theirs.
Need.New.Sig.
F-3
Lover of colors
11 IQ
How about letting band members write some songs almost individually? It could be a nice guesture if you say "Would you like to write a song?" to your bassist, who has been playing basslines made by you ...
Let others be the control freak, too
slash_pwns
I'm baaaaaack
1,982 IQ
Its just me and my drummer (I suppose he is his own drummer...). I play guitars and bass, and he plays the keyboard parts a make.

He doesnt understand the entire 'playing ing the pocket' thing, so all his drum parts (Other than his solos) are bad. I'm not going to get a new drummer, because he's a great drummer (and my best fried ).
StJimmy
83 IQ
Alright, I need some help with this situation. My friend called me the other day and proposed that he wanted to jam with me and his drummer (he is already in his band). He told me that he wanted to start a side project to start a kind of pop punk/ska punk band (playing NoFx, Green Day, maybe some Social Distortion etc.). So, I went to his house and jammed with them. Everything went alright, he sang and played guitar, i played rhythm, and his friend was alright on the drums. The few problems that I have is that
1) the drummer is not good enough to play fast punk songs
2)My friend didn't seem interested whenever I suggested playing something that I liked, such as Operation Ivy, Rancid, or Nirvana.
3)I've been playing for a little over a year, and this would be my first band experience.
4) I only have a 15 watt amp, and it will probably be another few months at least before I can get a bigger one.
5)Lastly, I've written some music once before which he has taken to use for his band, then denied that I came up with the meat of it, and saying that I only figured out the basics of this song. (and everyone who has heard what he's done with this song has loved it, and didn't know that I wrote about half of it.)

The positive side is that he is one of my good friends, and I get along well with the drummer. Also, there aren't any other musicians in my school or in my neighborhood that I can start a band with so this would be one of my few oppurtunities to play in a band. So, what are your opinions?
boothy
Legalize It!!!
71 IQ
Originally posted by StJimmy
Alright, I need some help with this situation. My friend called me the other day and proposed that he wanted to jam with me and his drummer (he is already in his band). He told me that he wanted to start a side project to start a kind of pop punk/ska punk band (playing NoFx, Green Day, maybe some Social Distortion etc.). So, I went to his house and jammed with them. Everything went alright, he sang and played guitar, i played rhythm, and his friend was alright on the drums. The few problems that I have is that
2)My friend didn't seem interested whenever I suggested playing something that I liked, such as Operation Ivy, Rancid, or Nirvana.
3)I've been playing for a little over a year, and this would be my first band experience.
4) I only have a 15 watt amp, and it will probably be another few months at least before I can get a bigger one.
5)Lastly, I've written some music once before which he has taken to use for his band, then denied that I came up with the meat of it, and saying that I only figured out the basics of this song. (and everyone who has heard what he's done with this song has loved it, and didn't know that I wrote about half of it.)

The positive side is that he is one of my good friends, and I get along well with the drummer. Also, there aren't any other musicians in my school or in my neighborhood that I can start a band with so this would be one of my few oppurtunities to play in a band. So, what are your opinions?

1. Come on, your not telling me he can't do a simple fast beat? Nothing fancy just a rythm, it doesn't really matter if the drummings not identical to that off the original song.

2. Just say to him, mate, give me some lee-way. If you wanna jam, I'll play stuff of yours, but to be fair, I have suggested quite a few, can we run through them?

3. Your point? What a great experience to have! Nothing wrong there!

4. That should be OK for jammin', and if you get to gigs most venues provide amps for you to use.

5. Is this your mate who's done it? You need to have a serious go at him. What kind of a mate is that?

Hope this helps ya, now onto WindJammer's question

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is anyone in a situation where you clearly have a vision for songs, and you are insecure about other band members compromising that due to them having different ideas for the same song?

Not that I discourage my band members from incorporating elements, but do you give up part of a song that you do with your band to allow for creative leeway on the part of bandmates?

I don't see myself as a control freak, because I really just want to move my ideas to music. The problem is, everyone wants to and more than often ideas don't coincide. Anyone have a way in particular of making a band more democratic without eliminating any members?

Well, I have been in the same situation many times. Normally, when you write a song as a band, it should be just that - as a band. Everyone has an input, and you take the best from everyones input, collectivly as a band.

However, sometimes theres a few songs that are yours, and if you go about the write way, your band members will notice you really want this song to be how you want it, and while they still should suggest things, they may accept being told that their idea won't work. This works both ways - they should be allowe domse of "their own songs" aswell.

Just don't have more than one or 2 songs that you are going to want to use the latter method I have just mentioned, or you will dominate the band - you'd be like Mark Knofler without the fame and money, and your band would split quicker.

Hope this helps!
"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?"

Bill Hicks
R.I.P.

Last edited by boothy at Jun 5, 2005,
Stula1031
Sex is a texas drought.
596 IQ

Ok i understand you in this situation. What i would do is keep all your new material away from this band dont even tell them you have it. Then take credit for your stuff and step up. Look around secretly for some other musicians who are more your style and that wont steal your mind. Then leave and work on your secret material with the new band.
Quote by Brothers_In_Arms
The Darkness are kind of a classic rock band, despite being a current band, so i though id put it here.
Last edited by Stula1031 at Jun 6, 2005,
Baba O'Riley
23 IQ

Ok, there's nothing wrong with being the only songwriter in a band. I would see if your band mates can contribute to the songs. If they can't then don't bother with it. If they can then great.

Originally posted by slash_pwns
He doesnt understand the entire 'playing ing the pocket' thing, so all his drum parts (Other than his solos) are bad. I'm not going to get a new drummer, because he's a great drummer (and my best fried ).

I'm sorry but if he can't understand what it means to play in the pocket than he's not a great drummer. The most important part of drumming is keeping good time. If he can't do that than he can easily ruin songs. It doesn't matter how good his fills are or how fast he is if he can't keep good time.

When I first started playing with my drummer he had terrible time. To help fix this I had our gig flimed and then when we watched it I pointed out spots where he did a fill and then did not come back in our time. Since then he has worked on his timing and gotten considerably better. I advise you do the same.

1.) The drummer can be replaced if he can't learn to do it or it may not be an issue if you don't play the songs.
2.) Well this is proof of him not being open minded which may lead to problems in the future.
3.) That's fine. As long as you play well everything's good.
4.) Until you get a gig that shouldn't be a problem. Also remember that you can rent amps for a gig.
5.) That is not cool. You shouldn't let him take credit for your stuff.

I say ride it out for a bit longer. Tell him that he can't take credit for things you did. If he does it again then leave.
WARNING:This post contains explicit portrayals of violence; sex; violent sex; sexual violence; clowns and violent scenes of violent excess, which are definitely not suitable for all audiences.
rageandlove04
Get it?
395 IQ
Allright, I have a bit of a problem. I'm in a contemporary christian worship band (I play guitar) and we're considered to be one of the better church bands in my area. My problem is that about a year after we had formed (almost a year ago) this kid who 'plays' guitar decided that he should be in the band, without asking anyone, and he's totally dragging everyone down. He has several awful sounding guitars, a bad amp, no rhythm, no musical sensibility, he's tone deaf, he has very little fret hand coordination, even less right hand coordination and technique, more often than not forgets his tuner, capo, strap and cables, he refuses to even attept to use his ear and instead watches me for the chords (and plays them wrong) and is completely dependant on his chord sheets but can't really follow those either. Not to mention the fact that he's a big dick and it's somehow my fault when he messes stuff up, which is quite often. He's only in it to be cool, even though I told him playing acoustic guitar in a church band isn't exactly impressive. Now, you're probably thinking "Fire him, you dumbass", right? Well, his mom is the pastor, and we are a church band, so sadly that's not gonna happen. Oh yeah, on the music, the little 'm' next to the letter of the chord can mean either major or minor, and #'s and b's don't mean anything. Everything was going great until he joined, and I have no idea what to do now. Mommy totally ignores the fact that he's screwing everything up, but everyone else knows whats going on and we've all tried getting through to him. But, from a 15 year old prespective, everyone else has the problem, not you so that's worked really well. I don't know. It seems like an impossible situation. I've spent a lot of time trying to teach him stuff but he ignores me or forgets everything. Anyone have any thoughts? I don't want to quit because the music we do is so guitar driven that they'd be screwed without a real guitar player (and I can't find a replacement for me) and I do enjoy playing with this band when things do go right (he was gone this weekend and we played twice ). I just want to resolve some of these problems soon because we're scheduled to play a lot this summer, and the shows we play are typically in front of 150-300 people. Thanks.
boothy
Legalize It!!!
71 IQ
Originally posted by rageandlove04
Allright, I have a bit of a problem. I'm in a contemporary christian worship band (I play guitar) and we're considered to be one of the better church bands in my area. My problem is that about a year after we had formed (almost a year ago) this kid who 'plays' guitar decided that he should be in the band, without asking anyone, and he's totally dragging everyone down. He has several awful sounding guitars, a bad amp, no rhythm, no musical sensibility, he's tone deaf, he has very little fret hand coordination, even less right hand coordination and technique, more often than not forgets his tuner, capo, strap and cables, he refuses to even attept to use his ear and instead watches me for the chords (and plays them wrong) and is completely dependant on his chord sheets but can't really follow those either. Not to mention the fact that he's a big dick and it's somehow my fault when he messes stuff up, which is quite often. He's only in it to be cool, even though I told him playing acoustic guitar in a church band isn't exactly impressive. Now, you're probably thinking "Fire him, you dumbass", right? Well, his mom is the pastor, and we are a church band, so sadly that's not gonna happen. Oh yeah, on the music, the little 'm' next to the letter of the chord can mean either major or minor, and #'s and b's don't mean anything. Everything was going great until he joined, and I have no idea what to do now. Mommy totally ignores the fact that he's screwing everything up, but everyone else knows whats going on and we've all tried getting through to him. But, from a 15 year old prespective, everyone else has the problem, not you so that's worked really well. I don't know. It seems like an impossible situation. I've spent a lot of time trying to teach him stuff but he ignores me or forgets everything. Anyone have any thoughts? I don't want to quit because the music we do is so guitar driven that they'd be screwed without a real guitar player (and I can't find a replacement for me) and I do enjoy playing with this band when things do go right (he was gone this weekend and we played twice ). I just want to resolve some of these problems soon because we're scheduled to play a lot this summer, and the shows we play are typically in front of 150-300 people. Thanks.

Right first - delete one of your 2 posts, yo hit that button twice I think

Secondly your question - I think you really need to slowly encourage him away - try to work him unbelievably hard - start getting a bit angry with him - emphasise and vastly exxagerate the amount of time and effort your band are gonna put in - he sounds like a lazy poser type guy to me.

If this doesn't work, try just talking to his mum, if she is decent she should understand, tell her you don't want to hurt her sons feelings or anything, and she would prbably try and encourage her son away for you.

Either them 2 or you could just bawl at him and downright tell him, thoiugh that would just provoke arguments from all corners.

I dunno, that's a tough stiuation you got there.

Hope this helps!

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?"

Bill Hicks
R.I.P.

rageandlove04
Get it?
395 IQ
Originally posted by boothy
...he sounds like a lazy poser type guy to me.

Bingo. And sorry about the double post, I couldn't figure out how to delete the second one. Thanks for not being a little bitch about it.

About your first suggestion, I'll try that, but I have no power to really make him listen to me, so he can just walk away if I get to be too much of a hassle or whatever

Thanks for your suggestions, and keep em comingh cause this sucks...

ILoveHarmonics
BLURP
224 IQ
to boothy:

You could just tell him so many times he sucks he will either leave or practise in a different way. You could also tell him he looks so cool that he should play a 2 minute solo next gig and let the nerves do the work (hopefully his mother notices THAT). Last suggestion I have is only to buy a triangle wich you hang on the ceiling and put a note on it wich says it's for him if he forgets a cable, capo or wathever.

Good luck.
Stula1031
Sex is a texas drought.
596 IQ
Wow these storys of anoying band members make me sick i hate lazy ass guys and people who take credit!
Quote by Brothers_In_Arms
The Darkness are kind of a classic rock band, despite being a current band, so i though id put it here.
boothy
Legalize It!!!
71 IQ
Originally posted by Stula1031
Wow these storys of anoying band members make me sick i hate lazy ass guys and people who take credit!

Much as I agree, read the rules at the top of this thread:

Originally posted by Casualty01
only 2 rules. failure to heed these rules will result in warnings. no exceptions. so please read them to avoid any confusion.

no spam - pretty self explanitory. either post a question an answer or an update (i.e. a thank you if the answer helped, or an update on how everything worked out). that's it.

Bill Hicks
R.I.P.

StJimmy
83 IQ
Thanks to boothy, stula, and Baba O'Riley for the advice. I think I'm going to just try and stick with these guys, and see where it goes. I'm not introducing any more new material until I know that this is a sure thing lol. Thanks again.
rageandlove04
Get it?
395 IQ
ILoveHarmonics, thanks for the advice (the question in boothy's post was actually mine). I like the one about the triangle...the problem is his mom is blind to any of his faults, music included. As in your crazy guitar solo idea would not work she's so blind. But good ideas

Cheers
...to give your love no matter what is what she said...
Corwinoid
UG Monkey
435 IQ
Option 1: Treat him like Sid Vicious and keep him unplugged
Option 2: Fire him. Every time someone says "It's not really an option." They need to be kicked in the nuts and told "It's really the only option, jerknuts." Realize that YOU are a public front for the church you play in, and your age doesn't matter (in fact, it'll work FOR you). Fire the little ass, and see how mommy the pastor reacts. If she throws a fit over it, throw a bigger one, and throw it in the faces of the congregation. Lady Pastor will look realllly bad, and really hypocritical for being so petty and unchristlike, and trying to force her will on a group of hard working 'children' trying to bring the message of Christ to the community.

Play it up, and welcome to the real world
Quote by les_kris
Corwinoid is God
I'm not even God-like... I've officially usurped the Almighty's throne.
Click here to worship me.

Member #3 of the Corwinoid Fan Club
heggazz
I Set Fires
224 IQ
^Best advice so far, you shouldn't have to care how she reacts. If shes a pastor she should be really nice about it, if she's not nice about it then screw her. You can always take the good members from the band and start a separate one, not church related.
Keen On Disco
Corwinoid
UG Monkey
435 IQ
^ Bah. Keep it church related if you like; but realize that you are a voice in the church, and you should be, and can be, listened to.

In this, more than in a 'normal' band, IMO, you need to be outspoken to your listeners about what you want, and what they want. This is a case where you're part of a community, and you serve as part of the direction for that community. Don't let them, or another voice mislead that.
Quote by les_kris
Corwinoid is God
I'm not even God-like... I've officially usurped the Almighty's throne.
Click here to worship me.

Member #3 of the Corwinoid Fan Club
rageandlove04
Get it?
395 IQ
Originally posted by Corwinoid
Option 1: Treat him like Sid Vicious and keep him unplugged
Option 2: Fire him. Every time someone says "It's not really an option." They need to be kicked in the nuts and told "It's really the only option, jerknuts." Realize that YOU are a public front for the church you play in, and your age doesn't matter (in fact, it'll work FOR you). Fire the little ass, and see how mommy the pastor reacts. If she throws a fit over it, throw a bigger one, and throw it in the faces of the congregation. Lady Pastor will look realllly bad, and really hypocritical for being so petty and unchristlike, and trying to force her will on a group of hard working 'children' trying to bring the message of Christ to the community.

Play it up, and welcome to the real world

I totally agree. Problem is, I don't have a say in who can and can't be in the band. Also, this kid can't be told what to do. He's not rebellious, just super lazy, and apparently that's ok. (my mom used to tutor him in math but not anymore because he doesn't like math and mommy pastor was fine with that) So no one will fire him and no one can make him practice. I'm only 17 and there's a big age range in the band, from like 15 -45, so I'm not exactly at the to of the food chain so to speak (you know, because adults ALWAYS know better) SHould I bring up the problems in front of the whole band next practice so he can't weasel out of talking about it? Or try talking privately?
...to give your love no matter what is what she said...
boothy
Legalize It!!!
71 IQ
^^ Bring it up in front of your band mates, if they share your views, and tell them before you do. Ask them to stick up for you, hopefully that idiot lazy dude will get the message.

Bill Hicks
R.I.P.

SGThunderstruck
149 IQ
We're a 13/14 year old band out of New Jersey. Punk Rock. Name: Tonic

What do you think of the name? Oh and we need a bassist
ILoveHarmonics
BLURP
224 IQ
I think punk rock bands could have just any name.
It's short and I like short bandnames like Zeke and Cream (really different kind of bands just in one sentence because they both have a short name ).
heggazz
I Set Fires
224 IQ
^^Lol sorry bro "Tonic" is already taken by a famous band. Well at least they're famous in this part of the world. Get their song "If You Could Only See" it's pretty good. So what do I think of the name?......
Keen On Disco
SGThunderstruck
149 IQ
Originally posted by heggazz
^^Lol sorry bro "Tonic" is already taken by a famous band. Well at least they're famous in this part of the world. Get their song "If You Could Only See" it's pretty good. So what do I think of the name?......

Are you serious? Fuuuuu(k i though that name sounded awesome
chilis_rock
They really do!
10 IQ
I was in this band where the drummer was shi*t and he had like no drum lessons, the bassist was only the bassist because he owned a bass (which he couldn't play) and the other guitarist thought he was the lead even though i was. There was also always a pack of idiots sittin around our rehersal space in school. I have been playing guitar for almost four years and done a few concerts in school etc. I quit the band because it was a pathetic waste of time but they are always askin me to come back. The original drummer who was excellent left long before me but he has a new band. I'm bored and want to be in a band so should i just return and try and work something out. Any suggestions? Any reasons to rejoin or advantages? What can i do instead or how can i improve the band?
UG Irish Clan: Póg mo thóin
Big up to my crew in cell block C. Stay Irish.
boothy
Legalize It!!!
71 IQ
Don't join their band, just agree to go to some sessions and "lend a hand". That way you are not committed, but get to try it out too.

Bill Hicks
R.I.P.

Charlatan_001
No gods - No masters
2,596 IQ
I'm the main lyricist for our band, but our lead guitarist and self-appointed band leader (despite the fact that I do most of our gig-booking and lyrics writing and contacting and sh**) says that my lyrics are "too poetic" and demands that I rewrite them so they become "grittier". All the time.

I can't write really "gritty" lyrics, that's just not my style. I told him to write his own if he doesn't lke mine, and he did, and they're horrible. Just revisions of mine.

How can we solve our dilemma w/ lyrics?
heggazz
I Set Fires
224 IQ
Are you the singer aswell? Just tell him to **** off and if he opposes you, take it to the rest of the band. Then if he wins you can take it however you want; have a tantrum, refuse to sing/write, quit the band, or even be gracious in defeat and save all your songs for another time. I have the same problem, in that my writing is too poetic, and my friends are constantly telling me to make the words more catchy etc but I can't seem to be able to. I think your best option, if you want to improve your lyrics, is to write them while listening to the music you are writing for, then maybe it'll help make the words flow in a more catchy, song appropriate way.
Keen On Disco
ILoveHarmonics
BLURP
224 IQ
Yes I often noticed that most bands that seem really poetci write their lyrics first and most bands with catchy lyrics write their music first and add the lyrics later. It's just a matter of taste though and if you prefere the poetic side you should stay there.
Charlatan_001
No gods - No masters
2,596 IQ
I do listen to the music and write lyrics and that's how they come out.

Whatever the girls love my lyrics so that's all that matters =P
chilis_rock
They really do!
10 IQ
You should just write the lyrics that come naturally and that you like. If you force yourself to write in a different style or change things to accomodate others the lyrics will probably turn out crap. You should keep your poetic lyrics because anyone can come up with ''gritty'', sh*tty lyrics.
UG Irish Clan: Póg mo thóin
Big up to my crew in cell block C. Stay Irish.
Freunleven
Flying Monkey King
1,711 IQ
Not so much a "my band" question, but it relates indirectly to my band, how we get along, and how we get along with other bands. Plus, it's a gig. Maybe not a paying gig, but a gig nonetheless.

Some of the guys and I are thinking of getting together with a couple other local bands and just having kind of an open jam night. The kind of thing where, say, our bass player jam with the drummer from one band and the guitar player from a third group. And so on and so forth.

The whole purpose is to break out of our respective ruts (we all get into 'em, right?) and explore different ways of looking at music, different styles, and different material.

Does anyone here have any advice or suggestions on how to pull this sort of thing off without encountering too many (and, yes, I know there will be many) technical difficulties?

As an example, I believe it would be best to just set up one drum kit, a PA, and let everyone who wants to jam run the output from their amps into the PA mixer. Does that sound resonable?

Anyway, your advice and guidance is desired. Heckle only if necessary.

Baba O'Riley
23 IQ
Originally posted by Freunleven
Not so much a "my band" question, but it relates indirectly to my band, how we get along, and how we get along with other bands. Plus, it's a gig. Maybe not a paying gig, but a gig nonetheless.

Some of the guys and I are thinking of getting together with a couple other local bands and just having kind of an open jam night. The kind of thing where, say, our bass player jam with the drummer from one band and the guitar player from a third group. And so on and so forth.

The whole purpose is to break out of our respective ruts (we all get into 'em, right?) and explore different ways of looking at music, different styles, and different material.

Does anyone here have any advice or suggestions on how to pull this sort of thing off without encountering too many (and, yes, I know there will be many) technical difficulties?

As an example, I believe it would be best to just set up one drum kit, a PA, and let everyone who wants to jam run the output from their amps into the PA mixer. Does that sound resonable?

Anyway, your advice and guidance is desired. Heckle only if necessary.

Ok are you organizing this event? (I assume you are) Or is it someone else's thing?

If it is your event I'm not sure if this is a good idea. Having a bunch of random musicians go up onstage and just jam together is very unprofessional. There's a good chance that it could be awful. The musicians may not jive together musically. The songs could go badly.

So am I against jamming? God no! I think that you and your band should definately jam with the other bands. I think it would be a good experience for all of you. However, I don't think a gig setting is very approriate for it.
WARNING:This post contains explicit portrayals of violence; sex; violent sex; sexual violence; clowns and violent scenes of violent excess, which are definitely not suitable for all audiences.
Freunleven
Flying Monkey King
1,711 IQ
I get what you're saying, Baba. Those are pretty much my concerns.

This "jam" wouldn't be completely impromptu - we're discussing spending the next couple months preparing for it. There would be a whole set list, and each guy would know when and what to be playing. More an illusion of complete spontaneity than the reality thereof. Yes, the unexpected can and will happen.

The bassist from one of the other bands suggested that we start with one band, and then replace one member at a time until we have a whole different band, then again until we have the third band. Kind of like one of those word puzzles where you change one letter at a time, making a different word each time.

I appreciate the advice. Anyone else want to tell me this is a bad idea?

flyboy959
UG's Rocket Queen
180 IQ
My band has a drummer who tinks hes good, but can barely keep time and tries to show off over the guitar solos and screws em up, i play rythm guitar (no bass) but our Lead Guitarist is like steve Vai (only younger...and not as rich!). They are both really good friends, but i dont know if i should leave. We arent gonna kick the drummer out, cuz hes like my best friend(and no one else wnats to be in our band)! i dont know if i should leave or what
He also only wants to play metal, though i enjoy classic rock, though he is very flexable
Originally posted by Angelcide
Who the fuck is Metallica? Sounds like a steel factory to me.
`NeXxuS`
The Moor
416 IQ
So he has some merit to him... the drums for metal and the drums for classic rock aren't too far gone from eachother, you know.

metal drums are in an absolute league of their own.
High Templar of the UG Secret Society
PM SickMetal or Sanitarium24 to join.
aNOMaly
UtBDan
BA of Music Theory
4,562 IQ
My drummer and me seem to be in a bit of a feud. My vocalist doesn't want anyone gone, because he seems to think that it will kill any friendships by breaking up the original lineup. My guitarist is the man, lade back but honest and ernest and sensible with band related things.

me? I'm the bassist and a bit of an ass. If you play something wrong, I will make you start over. If it shows you haven't been practicing the part or listening to a song we're gonna cover, you will get yelled at and nastily so.

my drummer, is sick. But I want him out. Why? Because he can't do **** on his own. He could play anything you tell him to learn, make the sickest drum solo. But his own drum beats suck. And he sucks at jamming. Sometimes when he does a fill in a song he loses timing (and the bad part is he never corrects himself, we all have to adjust to him). But when jamming I get really pissed off, cause he plays one beat the whole time, just at different tempos, and sometimes he stops because he gets lost.

I want him out. I think he wants me out.

My guitarist agreed to give him a little more time before he wanted him kicked out too, but, the point is

what's a gentle way of kicking out a friend, and convincing a semi-stupid vocalist friend to kick the drummer friend out?
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
`NeXxuS`
The Moor
416 IQ
there is no easy way about it... your drummer is gonna be mad, and your probably gonna lose a friend over it... especially if hes a drama queer...

ive kicked 2 friends outta my band... we made ammends later, but they were HIGHLY HIGHLY pissed at the time, you just have to do it... and try to be as professional as you can about it.
High Templar of the UG Secret Society
PM SickMetal or Sanitarium24 to join.
aNOMaly