Poll: How Many Guitars do you Own?
Poll Options
View poll results: How Many Guitars do you Own?
none... i borrow them off my freinds
8 0%
309 14%
575 25%
514 23%
319 14%
189 8%
120 5%
61 3%
38 2%
9+ cause im rich
141 6%
Voters: 2276.
Page 19 of 19
Only 3 as of Wednesday 10:25am est, but that could change at any second.

My Pawnshop special...actually love it
Flying in a blue dream
I'm just checking in to see if I've still got the right information on the poll.

Yup, Still more than 9.
Quote by Tony Done
dspellman 

I'm a bit surprised how few the high counts are. I'm too embarrassed to admit how many I've got.  

I've stopped counting.

I don't feel too bad -- the Sultan of Brunei has way more cars than I have guitars. I think he may have more planes than I have guitars. Not sure about wives. Every now and then some of the old ones get quietly sold off. Cars, not wives.

I was in a studio when a certain very high profile guitar god was loading in, preparing to record. He brought just 50 of over 250 of his guitars into the studio. He has more now.
Quote by dspellman
I've stopped counting.

I don't feel too bad -- the Sultan of Brunei has way more cars than I have guitars. I think he may have more planes than I have guitars. Not sure about wives. Every now and then some of the old ones get quietly sold off. Cars, not wives.

I was in a studio when a certain very high profile guitar god was loading in, preparing to record. He brought just 50 of over 250 of his guitars into the studio. He has more now.

Some of those guys would get new axes all the time. Possibly exaggerating, Ace Frehley used to say Gibson would send him a crate or two full of LPs each tour, and he'd cherrypick the best dozen or so to use (read "keep").

Heck, some of those guys are now selling their stuff on Reverb- usually not the iconic stuff, but still, some people would pay a decent amount for a guitar owned by Rick Nielsen or Steve Howe, even if it were something he picked up on vacation and never used,
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
dannyalcatraz 

I've wondered how much stuff these guitar hero types actually pay for, and how much their (and then the buying public's) choices are influenced by what they happen to be given or paid to promote. I remember reading an interview with one of the pop groups in a guitar mag years ago, and one of the group asked who's strings they were using that week.
Quote by Tony Done
dannyalcatraz 

I've wondered how much stuff these guitar hero types actually pay for, and how much their (and then the buying public's) choices are influenced by what they happen to be given or paid to promote. I remember reading an interview with one of the pop groups in a guitar mag years ago, and one of the group asked who's strings they were using that week.

Near as I can tell, how much they pay depends on who they are.

And as for what they actually use, the story is even murkier...especially when you start talking about ghost builders and subcontractors. A lot of those guys know each other, and have either apprenticed or worked with each other for years. Occasionally, they'll do a one-off as a favor. Or if Artist X demands, the company whose name is on the stock is merely the sticker supplier because the guitar was actually made by another luthier.

If I were a pro? I'd probably be a manufacturer's nightmare. I mean, I'm not a string loyalist- I buy whatever looks like a good deal for the strings I need, so my answer on "Whose strings?" would be the same as that pop band's.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

dannyalcatraz 

I can see how there are all shades of grey in this. I've also seen that sticker thing in a guitar mag. I can't recall who it was, but he had a "Washburn" decal on a scruffy bitsa he had built himself. I didn't approve of that, I think if you are accepting benefits from a sponsorship, you should either make an effort to look genuinely keen or decline the sponsorship.
Quote by Tony Done
dspellman 

I don't count mine either, it seems to trigger a breeding frenzy in them.

I visualize tiny mandolins and ukeleles running around in diapers... "Wonder what they'll be when they grow..."
Baritones bragging and comparing the lengths of their scales.
And everywhere, Ibanezeseseseseseseseseseseses.
Sterling JP50 w/ Crunchlab- Liquifire set
DBZ/ Diamond Maverick SM
Schecter  Omen 7
Modded 1993 Squire (Invader- lil '59, Graphtech saddles and nut, Switchcraft electronics)
RG 5EX2
Brownsville Ibanez S series knockoff
Jackson Kelly Performer Pro
Ibanez AEG-10-E Acoustic 
I have 8 guitars so far, looking to buy another in November.

In order of purchase:

Dean Evo (pre XM)
Gibson Faded V(Cherry Red)
Godin Velocity
Ibanez RGA42
Indie Guitar Co. IPL Floyd
Ibanez S770PB
Indie Guitar Co. Shredder Six (Custom Satin Black, Chrome hardware and EMGs)
Sigma Guitars DM-2
Next LTD EC-1000T????
The most I ever had at one time was 6, no big deal but I had only been playing less than a year at the time. It seemed like I was more into the acquisition than anything else, I was spending time searching when I should have been practicing, or researching amps. Blinded by the bling, and headstock names, I remember guys here suggesting guitars I had never even heard of and wondered why, don't they know its either got to be Fender or Gibson...what else is there. What's really weird is when I sell one...I feel like I'm letting it down or something, even though I may have made a mistake by making random guitar purchases...I'd it all over again, except this time I wouldn't sell'em.
Flying in a blue dream
PRS singlecut grey-black: Drop C with Dimarzio Titans
PRS singlecut red: Eb with Dimarzio Transitions
Fender American standard strat: Standard and stock (for now)

Wanna pick up an American tele before the year is over. Going to be 4 eventually.
Now four.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one

I have the following:
Dean Dreadnaught
Oscar Schmidt Dreadnaught
Dean Exhibition Acoustic
1970 Federico Garcia Classical
Dean EVO 2000
Ibanez Strat
Danelectro U2 Reissue (1996) – Actually Pre-ordered this one! It was my first “Brand New” guitar!
1960’s era Harmony Strat-o-Tone
Gibson SG
G & L Strat
…and a couple of Basses.

Not sure how having lots of guitars equates to wealth, as most of them decrease in value. It really equates to playing for a quarter century, and not liking to sell my guitars for less than I paid for them.
I've got 10 and want to get under 5

jackson smiffy (us model)
strat (us)
lester 
dinky (Japan)
sl2 pro
charvel 
jaden rose s2 w juggernaughts (drop c)
rg652
faith acoustic
tremonti se

I'll sell the Lester, charvel, sl2, jaden At a minimum. 

The problem is I fancy the rg752 and a custom 24

it goes down then back up 

heeellllp!!!!!
Last edited by -Ed- at Sep 17, 2017,
Wow there's quite the sample size to this poll. Probably a fairly accurate study

I have 6 though 5 functional
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Dreadnought
Wow there's quite the sample size to this poll. Probably a fairly accurate study

No telling. It might be accurate for Ultimate Guitar, but I'm not sure how representative it would be for any other demographic. You couldn't do much with averages, because there are some serious outliers that will skew those. It's like asking which brands are being used by UG members, for example; there's certainly a question of what's actually available where UG members live.
Yeah, there IS going to be a strong possibility of significant self-selection bias skewing the results. Not everyone who plays goes online to participate in communities like this.

For example, I just found out my church's music minister, whom I know has a Larivee, a Takamine and a teleclone by Tom Anderson actually has 10 guitars. AFAIK, he spends virtually zero time online at guitar sites. Our former soundboard guy did go to TGP and the like. He had a few guitars himself...but a garage full of amps.