I'm thinking about switching out my crappy Squier Strat pickups for something better. I'm looking for some single coil pick ups that can get me the kind of tone you hear from Clapton, Pink Floyd, and Cream, since those are the bands I mainly play. Can any of you guys recommend some good pickup brands/combos?
well i know emg makes single coils however i have no idea what theyd sound like ...probably too metaly so um try seymour duncans maybe....some hot rails?
GOMEZ
Originally posted by Marroon5MustDie
It's spelled khoyaschotsii. Trust me, I'm a Native American. My name is Running Rainbow.
Seymour Duncan DuckBuckers.
[Jedi Mind Trick] "These are not the droids you are looking for." [/Jedi Mind Trick]
Strat Standard, if so sounds like you can use some Lace Sensor Gold pickups. Clapton uses 'em, so you could get his tone. If you want signature sound, EMG makes a prewired pickguard that's a David Gilmour signature but it'll probably not fit since it's a Squier and they differ with their mounting from Fender.
(\__/)
(='.'=) I wish I was as cool as this bunny
(")_(")
Originally posted by Finsta
Strat Standard, if so sounds like you can use some Lace Sensor Gold pickups. Clapton uses 'em, so you could get his tone.

How much money do those usually go for?
Originally posted by Gin_Rummy
I'm thinking about switching out my crappy Squier Strat pickups for something better. I'm looking for some single coil pick ups that can get me the kind of tone you hear from Clapton, Pink Floyd, and Cream, since those are the bands I mainly play. Can any of you guys recommend some good pickup brands/combos?

Sorry, I need to compose myself. I'm a bit freaked out. You see, I was just about to post a thread about what pickups to get.
I was replacing stock pickups on a Squier Strat.
I play Clapton, Pink Floyd and Cream, and was going to mention Pink Floyd and Cream in my post.

So, I suppose the suggestion is for me, too. My original idea for pickups was:

EMG-SA (neck) (I dunno the output mVs for this one)
EMG-SA (middle)
DiMarzio Blue Velvet Bridge (bridge) (output 153 mV)

And then a friend suggested this setup for a sort of '60s rock and roll tone:

DiMarzio Class of '55 (neck) (output 110 mV)
DiMarzio SDS-1 (middle)
DiMarzio Blue Velvet Bridge (bridge) (output 153 mV)

I reckon those two combos would be good, Gin_Rummy.
try some fender texas specials their lurverly

there's a review of them in the Pup FAQ in the websites and materials thread stickied at the top of the page
Put some EMG's in
~~One Off Custom Strat~~
- 3 piece alder body
- Maple on rosewood 21 fret neck
- '82 Fender pickups

~~'92 Toyota Supra~~

- 1JZ-GTE (TT, front mount intercooler, 15~psi)
- Tuned on 93 octane
- HKS 3" exhaust
Originally posted by sillybuuger12
try some fender texas specials their lurverly

Agreed,
and what the hell is it with EMG's

'' hi i want some pickups with a good metal sound"
some random person ''EMG's"

hi i want some pickups with a good blues/rock sound"
some random person "EMG's"

Whats next EMG's for a blues sound?? haha

They cant realy be that good?? can they??
I mean in every 'what pickup thread' someone always says 'EMG's???
WTF is wrong with everyone??
sorry I just had to get that off my chest
Stupid EMG goons!!

PF Edit: RAWWWWR!!!!
Originally posted by Generalpwnt
It would be so cool if u drilled a hole right thru the center of ur guitar.

Looking for people to record sound clips for UG, click here if interested...
Last edited by power freak at Jul 11, 2005,
Originally posted by Mascot
Well, Gilmour used EMG's. . .

And he still uses EMG-SAs. On one of his main stage guitars he has a DiMarzio (not sure which model) in the bridge position.
Fender Lace Sensors - gold in the bridge and middle, blue in the neck. That's all you need to know.
"The most important thing is to learn how to play the guitar before you get 50,000 dollars worth of complicated gear" -Slash

Not a member of any clubs. Don't PM me.
for the type of music u r playin i would stay away from EMGs. they sound great distorted but are bad clean. i have them and i love them for wut i play, which is metal and screamo. i want to get the lace sensor pack with the red blue n silver that might work for u or wut baseball said.
^exactly

for anything except high distortion metal EMG's sound like a cum sandwich falling off a bridge.

the origonal isea of a Burst bucker sounds good though since they have a really good warm tone
just to point out, clapton used gibsons with cream mostly, i.e. they had humbuckers (since no-one mentioned it so far)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
EMG makes pickups that sound good clean(SA, 60, 89). These aren't the same ones that sound great under heavy distortion(81, 85, to a lesser extent 89 and 60). Tha being said, EMGs aren't best for what you need. Gilmour uses SAs because he runs his guitar through so many efffects and needs a strong original signal to retain a good signal level after all of his patch cabling and effects boxes. Lace Sensors, Lawrence, and Fralins are all great, and Duncan makes an Alnico 2 Pro set that's superb as well. The lawrence and fralins have more of a vintage strat tone, while the Lace offer a range of options, and the duncans have a vintage tone with extra output and sustain. Just about anything is going to be an enormous upgrade from squier stock pickups.
you could even try and get a fender MIA strat on ebay?? The ewould still be a good upgrade, if your pushed for cash!!

for anything except high distortion metal EMG's sound like a cum sandwich falling off a bridge.

That was quite possibly the worst comparison of things I've ever read.

how do you know what that sounds like? i don't even want to know what you do for fun when you have free time...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^that's what they all say...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Originally posted by mnbaseball91
Fender Lace Sensors - gold in the bridge and middle, blue in the neck. That's all you need to know.

Someone with sense.

I'm getting pretty sick of EMG's being recomended for EVERYTHING. I have a set and they are good, but they should only be straigh-off-the-bat suggestions if someone says "I want to sound like slayer, metallica, shadows fall and slipknot, what pickups should I get?". I have 2 SA's by the way, and they're ok, but they are fairly non-descript tone-wise. Very clear is all I can say really. My bare knuckle Irish Tours p!ss all over them.
Quote by Shakespeare
The man that hath no music in himself, Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, And his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted.
Originally posted by D Man

I'm getting pretty sick of EMG's being recomended for EVERYTHING.

I agree- a similar thing is starting to happen with seymour duncans too (although i admit they have a much wider variety of sounds). People in threads are starting to almost ask "which seymour duncans should i get" rather than "which pickups should i get" as if they're the only retrofit pickups available...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
it's really frustrating especially when i went to the trouble of finding all those websites for the FAQ
yeah, i know- i'll do some more of those reviews now if you want them, sillybuuger12, gimme a few minutes!
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The only reason I always recomend Duncans is that I'm most familiar with them.
"The most important thing is to learn how to play the guitar before you get 50,000 dollars worth of complicated gear" -Slash

i think u need to move the pup thread thingy. cuz its hard to find in the thread its in right now. i think u need to make a new thread with just that and have that stickied (sp?)
yeah i have commented on this before but it's gonna be done after PF has the new rules/FAQ done

oh and Dave reviews are greatly apreciated!
yeah i have commented on this before but it's gonna be done after PF has the new rules/FAQ done

oh and Dave reviews are greatly apreciated!

cheers!

The only reason I always recomend Duncans is that I'm most familiar with them.

that's why i normally recommend dimarzios! I wasn't talking about you personally, baseball, you know what you're talking about, and i've recommended you before for the "who to listen to" list- don't worry, i wasn't pointing the finger at you!
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^No offense taken, just stating it so nobody thought I think only Duncans are good.

Boy, we sure are spamming up this thread! Hope PF doesn't notice!

Originally posted by ~hypermonkey~
Agreed,
and what the hell is it with EMG's

'' hi i want some pickups with a good metal sound"
some random person ''EMG's"

hi i want some pickups with a good blues/rock sound"
some random person "EMG's"

Whats next EMG's for a blues sound?? haha

They cant realy be that good?? can they??
I mean in every 'what pickup thread' someone always says 'EMG's???
WTF is wrong with everyone??
sorry I just had to get that off my chest
Stupid EMG goons!!

PF Edit: RAWWWWR!!!!

EMGs are very versatle most people think thay are only good for metal just because mainly metal players use them
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Originally posted by Emergancy Exit
EMGs are very versatle most people think thay are only good for metal just because mainly metal players use them

I dare you to get me a good blues tone from any active pickup, let alone active EMGs.

Originally posted by Emergancy Exit

no, it's because we tried them and thought they were good for metal!

to be fair, i tried a jackson dinky with EMG 81/85, and the 85 in th neck did a reasonable clean tone, but as baseball said, i doubt you'd get a good blues tone out of one.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I dare you to get me a good blues tone from any active pickup, let alone active EMGs.

Nothing mind blowing (bearing in mind I have a set of BKP's 4 feet away) but I get good blues from my SA's.

Edit: I'm not going to start slagging off EMG's. I love em. They're great. But there are better choices for metal, let alone anything else. And people just saying 'EMG's' are frankly retards with no knowledge of the full range of pickups available and let alone what are good for what sounds, and not the imagination or initiative to go find out about any others for themselves.
Quote by Shakespeare
The man that hath no music in himself, Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, And his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted.
Last edited by D Man at Jul 25, 2005,