What could I use to write on my guitar? I have a moderately crappy acoustic that I love to death. It's kinda gotten beaten up in the last few years (which I'm fine with) and I've decided I want to give it that personal touch and get everyone I play for/with (excluding large audiences of course) that are friends of mine to sign it. Just somthing cool I can look back on. The thing is I still want to be able to play the guitar so the important thing is I don't want the tone to be effected too drastically. Also the main question is what can I use to write on it with that will stay permanently. I was thinking permanent marker but I highly doubt that would stay on since like all acoustic guitars it has that laquer finsh on it. Any suggestions? If I have to go to the trouble of painting it and what not I just won't bother. I want it to sort of tell a story so that wouln't work, It's not like I'm gonna bust out a pallette everytime i want a friend to sign it. Anyway any help would be appreciated.
Just a silly thought; How about a permanent marker?
Darkness lights my way,
In the darkness look for a wandering soul
Like I said, I was thinking that but i don't think it would stay. It would just rub off.
depends...I've used some that, short of a nuclear blast, wouldn't come off no matter what. All things being equal, some things are more equal than others.
Darkness lights my way,
In the darkness look for a wandering soul
Buy paint markers...lots of them. That way, if you write something and it rubs off, you can just re-paint over it. You can find them in art supply shops and probably hardware stores.
I've seen one million toilets...

AND I ROCKED THEM ALL!
Permanent markers do stay.

But they wouldn't look that good,though.

Go to the art store and get them to make those 'one-sided' stamps.Draw your design and they'll make you a couple.Then all you have to do is stick those on your guitar and get them on like you get on those kiddie tatoos,with water and stuff.A couple of custom designs cost no more than $3.
I don't mean what I write in my posts.So don't argue back on it,and don't check me..Because,though I don't mean them,they are the only way I can increase my post count.
Originally posted by eastern_riffs
Permanent markers do stay.

But they wouldn't look that good,though.

Go to the art store and get them to make those 'one-sided' stamps.Draw your design and they'll make you a couple.Then all you have to do is stick those on your guitar and get them on like you get on those kiddie tatoos,with water and stuff.A couple of custom designs cost no more than $3.

He's getting his guitar signed by various friends/listeners. I doubt he'd have the patience to get a stamp of each of their autographs..
Parker Nitefly SA
Epiphone Joe Pass Emperor 2
Jay Turser Serpant LP copy
Squier strat
Takamine Acoustic

Peavey Ultra 410
Behringer Vintager AC112
you know what WOULD look good, even with permanent marker....is if they only signed on the sides of your guitar. all along the outside of the body like that.

use a sharpie man.
I used a permanent marker and some white on mine;

Only took a few mins...

I took the opportunity when i had to re-string it
hehe... THis may sound stupid but um.. Have you tried spray paint???
Welcome to the desert of the real...
^^^IF HES GETTIN HIS FRIENDS TO SIGN IT, WHY THE **** WOULD HE USE SPRAY PAINT

n00bs
I thinl that the paint markers is the best way to go earpoo. It will be the simplest way to get the permanence you want with the signatures.
Kill your MySpace, get a Virb
a Sharpie will work just fine, and you can get them in lotsa colors, if your guitar has a dark finish use aluminum color sharpie, if it has a light colored finish use dark colored sharpie
You all laugh at me because I am different
I laugh at all of you because you are all the same

I want to join the coalition to ban coalitions

you can take it or leave it, this is me, this is who I am
a sharpie is good for writing on acoustic guitars, I used it on mine, and it worked fine and didn't rub off. Think about it, when you hand a celebrity a guitar to sign, would you hand them a can of spray paint? no, you'd hand them a sharpie, and the sharpie generally stays on as long as it's not like constantly rubbed on.
BUY SOME PHOTOS..Click here, and then click 'store'

Quote by GOD*OF*ROCK
lol man plz dont take this the wrong way but you really cant rap.
Martz - That guitat looks sooo bad ass man.

Sweet. I guess I'll have to take a trip the store and pick up some sharpies (I'm fresh out).

And so the white part was just white out?
sharpies are available in white at better office supply stores, might have to buy a multi color pack to get it though
You all laugh at me because I am different
I laugh at all of you because you are all the same

I want to join the coalition to ban coalitions

you can take it or leave it, this is me, this is who I am
use a small phillips screwdriver and have them etch it into the finish. that will not come out then take a regular marker(later) and color over it. the ink will get into the wood and it wont come out andyou can just wipe the excess off the surface. as long as youare just etching into the laquer finish you will not effect the guitar's tone.

fyi... take alook at willie nelsons guitar he's got hundreds of signatures on it.
Music is a language. Learn it well before you use it or you'll just sound stupid.
Originally posted by vinniegbass
use a small phillips screwdriver and have them etch it into the finish. that will not come out then take a regular marker(later) and color over it. the ink will get into the wood and it wont come out andyou can just wipe the excess off the surface. as long as youare just etching into the laquer finish you will not effect the guitar's tone.

fyi... take alook at willie nelsons guitar he's got hundreds of signatures on it.

I somehow don't think thats a good idea.

Just use a sharpie
Found this post by chance and read that a couple of ya'll liked the abstract "art" happenin on my guitar Im very happy to hear that!

I was bored and decided to re-do it...this time, sanded it down, then applied some wood stain...a little permanent marker and white out later and this is the result...a bit of an Australian theme...call it a tribute to my homeland ey!

Just trying to prove that a little bit of time can make your guitar not only look unique but damn good yer!

Whatia ya'll rekn?
Why not...? It is a blank canvas just as much as a piece of paper...

...and cause its a cheap one