the first 7 frets of my standard strat are dented in pretty significantly, my intonation is still pretty close though can it become a problem and throw it out in the future? cheap mexican frets or pressing too hard?
not pressing too hard.....
MEMBER #1 OF THE OFFICIAL DAMIENS SEED FAN CLUB!! PM ME OR VALIDLITTERDEPT TO JOIN.
MEMBER #1 OF THE OFFICIAL YANKEE NINE NINER CLUB!! PM ME TO JOIN TO JOIN.
its not the frets its the player if they are dented bad you can take it to a guitar tech and ask for a grind and polish
how long have you had it? if its new, you got ripped off and should return it. if its old, thats expected, and you should have it looked at.
Kind of nominated for Best Retired User.

Skepto > Oxygen
the guitar is abour 5 years old... played extensively however, the dents all occured around the same time about a year ago... someone told me to have the frets 'tapered' what does that entail?
it's probably just wear but unles your getting dead spots in the frets you might as well leave it for now or if the guitar is a cheap copy say a squier get a new guitar
well, it's not squier, but now reminds me of one, it is a fender standard mexican strat... i learned on a gibson 335 w/bigbsby and 0.13's so i do use lots of power but, this guitar is starting to feel like junk to me. i'm in the process of upgrading the pups and want to replace that damn bridge from hell, you know the ones where the action screws and on top and get all messed up when you loosen the strings? just don't know if i should pour more money in to this now...
if you do decide to change the pups on the 335 it's quite difficult and you need some string PM me and i'll explain
Quote by string_of_lies
the first 7 frets of my standard strat are dented in pretty significantly, my intonation is still pretty close though can it become a problem and throw it out in the future? cheap mexican frets or pressing too hard?

i have a jackson i bought used and it has all the frets dented. both the metal and the wood, if it gets down in the fret metal dents then it buxxes but the wood has some serious valleys on it and it sound so dry
Last edited by maverick_137 at Dec 19, 2007,
put some sand paper around a brick or book or something else hard and rub up and down the frets (fret dress)
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Martin DC-16RE Premium

Fender Snakeskin Champ 12
get the frets redressed? it's probably worth it to get it professionally done.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by tubab0y
get the frets redressed? it's probably worth it to get it professionally done.

Eh. I say thats more for a guitar you're afraid of damaging or replacing the stock frets (vintage guitars come to mind). Its really not worth it though, especially with wear all over. If it was one or two frets I could see it, but the TS is really better off having them replaced. It would be an idea to consider Stainless Steel frets if the cost allows.

i have a jackson i bought used and it has all the frets dented. both the metal and the wood, if it gets down in the fret metal dents then it buxxes but the wood has some serious valleys on it and it sound so dry

Very rarely do fretboard dents affect much in terms of tone. Its all cosmetic. By your logic, guitars with extensive inlay work should sound dry as well due to having large amounts of the board removed.

put some sand paper around a brick or book or something else hard and rub up and down the frets (fret dress)

There is a lot more to it then rubbing sand paper on your frets... more likely then not a non pro will leave them uneven and rough, which is bad for intonation and (being extreme) can cut your strings.
I fixed a guitar myself that had this problem about 3 years ago. It was only two damaged frets, so I got some silver solder (not lead based solder/ bc its WAY too soft) and melted it into the dents. Then I filed it smooth with the rest of the fret. 3 years later, still holds up, and you cant even tell where the damage was.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Quote by string_of_lies
my intonation is still pretty close though can it become a problem and throw it out in the future? cheap mexican frets or pressing too hard?

This is a good sign. It means you are playing your guitar!!! Frets wear out and that is normal. Your intonation won't be a problem but eventually your frets will wear out enough that you will get fret buzz. At this point you will need a fret dressing. This is when somebody grinds down all of your frets to match the grooves you have created from wear. You won't need a refret the 1st several times, so if a tech tries to tell you that you need a refret take it to a different tech. Untill you are getting buzz, don't worry.
Not taking any online orders.
The frets used now just seem to be a softer metal than used in the past. And lower price guitars are worse. It took 15 years to wear dents in the frets on a 83 fender. But a few weeks on a new epi and squire. Im pretty hard on frets. Stainless fixes wear problems but alot of shops wont mess with them as they are harder to file etc. And on a cheap guitar its about 200 bucks to get a refret. I do em myself it so it costs about 20 bucks in materials to do it.
Quote by CJRocker
Eh. I say thats more for a guitar you're afraid of damaging or replacing the stock frets (vintage guitars come to mind). Its really not worth it though, especially with wear all over. If it was one or two frets I could see it, but the TS is really better off having them replaced. It would be an idea to consider Stainless Steel frets if the cost allows.

Very rarely do fretboard dents affect much in terms of tone. Its all cosmetic. By your logic, guitars with extensive inlay work should sound dry as well due to having large amounts of the board removed.

There is a lot more to it then rubbing sand paper on your frets... more likely then not a non pro will leave them uneven and rough, which is bad for intonation and (being extreme) can cut your strings.

no. i have some major fret dentage almost down to the maple neck. 7th fret 6th sting and 2nd fret 1st string i know it doesn't seem like it would make much sense but it's harder to tune