mountaindew88
UG Dewbie
2,429 IQ
I think I'm gonna start experimenting more with pickstyle playing. Can anyone recommend some decent picks for bass?
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
scooby89
UG's Resident Ninja
44 IQ
i use sweat resistant extra grip 1.4 mm DSunlop picks. They got a picture of a turtle on it. They seem to work quite well however for playing fast i use a thinner pick.
late night, brakes lock, hear the tires squeal
red light, can't stop so i spin the wheel
my world goes black before i feel an angel lift me up
jamesk69
Small * Town * Rebellion
401 IQ
i use fender heavys to, but i think medium will be good 2
My Wepons of Mass Distruction:
Epi. G-310 SG
Martin Acoustic
Austin Acoustic
Squire Jagmaster
Epi Acu Bass jr
Les Pual knock off
Drive 30watt Guitar amp
Behringer 60 watt Bass amp
Ibanez 10watt guitar amp
MastaBassist10
Banned
4,134 IQ
Dude, a picks a pick. unless your looking for something special, like the Jellyfish [which is peice of crap anyway] ,just find any pick, and decide weather you like soft, medium, or hard. Its just a pick for Gods sake
jimmeh
Captain of the Guard
145 IQ
^If you're gonna be nasty, don't bother.

Though you were right about the thickness. Most people tend you use heavy picks, around 1.5mm and stuffs like that.

You probably want the regular kinda rounded triangular shape, and probably plastic, as metal ones are a bit iffy, I find, and they probably take some getting used to.
Quote by Punk Poser
I was called a "cum dumpster" by this kid at school. At the time I thought it meant I was cool.
jamesk69
Small * Town * Rebellion
401 IQ
yes but not all brands make pics the same
My Wepons of Mass Distruction:
Epi. G-310 SG
Martin Acoustic
Austin Acoustic
Squire Jagmaster
Epi Acu Bass jr
Les Pual knock off
Drive 30watt Guitar amp
Behringer 60 watt Bass amp
Ibanez 10watt guitar amp
JMack
The original avatar
470 IQ
i use dunlop XH. the yellow transluescent ones.
Kind of nominated for Best Retired User.

Skepto > Oxygen
donender
Get back to work
2,047 IQ
mine is a blue dunlop tortex 1.0mm, i used to use a dunlop 3.0mm stubby, but lost it
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
zx2guy2002
10 IQ
not all picks are created equal dunlop tortex is the pick to buy (just decide what thickness you want) these things are indestructable. i have 3 picks from when i first picked up a guitar (6 years ago) that are still working just fine. the only difference between when i bought them and now is that the writing on the face of the pick has been rubbed off lol. you can wrap these picks around your finger and they snap right back into their original shape.
TheBassist101
can I get an Amen?
47 IQ
Originally posted by scooby89
i use sweat resistant extra grip 1.4 mm DSunlop picks. They got a picture of a turtle on it. They seem to work quite well however for playing fast i use a thinner pick.

I've never even heard of sweat resistant picks before. I gotta try some of those. In the rare case that I do use a pick, I use a Dunlop Stubby 2.mm

no dice.
LedZeppelin4LiF
American Bassist
155 IQ
fender heavys, i also use mediums but the bend ez on the fat strings
Goin 2 ozzfest finally
mountaindew88
UG Dewbie
2,429 IQ
alright so Dunlop Tortex and Fender Heavies. I tried using a Fender Extra Heavy before and it worked alright; I liked it more than the Heavy.

With the tortex pick, do they say ".73mm" right on them or what? Also, what about those really big triangular dorito picks?
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
ratbollocks
rat salad
2,079 IQ
use dunlop Gatorgrips the BLACK ones (2.0mm) and theres another dunlop pick ... cant remember the name it s got a turtle on it and they come in purple and pink and stuff. gett the PURPLE ones they are 2.0mm
Spector Legend 4 Custom
Ashton AB-2
Dunlop 105Q Crybaby
Ibanez PD7 Overdrive
SWR LA 15 (dead)
Gallien-Krueger 700RB-II
Gallien-Krueger Neo 212
herrly
Not really here
1,049 IQ
I like thin, flexible picks, preferable Brain picks, the purple picks with the grip. those are good.
Originally posted by Fendon
your freakin ugly bud

do you have cancer?
chinko
Banned
30 IQ
i have used a 0.60mm Dunlop successfully. my fave is my purple 1.3mm (i think) dunlop pick. and i just noticed ive lost it
Goddamnit
What a complete B@stard
199 IQ
i found that on the rare occasion that i require a pick for a song, medium picks just feel right
Quote by Bumper
You know you're a bassist when someone asks you why you play bass and you reply, "Bass is my voice, my expression. I can say things through my bass that I can't anywhere else. Also, it makes my nutsack vibrate."
Earth_Rave
Some Punker
189 IQ
I use Fender medium and extra heavy and Dunlop Stubby 3mm triangles

About the Doritos, if you're talking about those huge Fenders, I wouldn't reccomend them.
ne pvgnemvs
Goddamnit
What a complete B@stard
199 IQ
i also had this heavy dunlop. it was a tiny thing though. I think it said Jazz something on it. that worked really well too
Quote by Bumper
You know you're a bassist when someone asks you why you play bass and you reply, "Bass is my voice, my expression. I can say things through my bass that I can't anywhere else. Also, it makes my nutsack vibrate."
SocKo?
96 IQ
ive tried like 20 different sizes, shapes, and textures, and i must say i'm happiest with...

Dunlop Tortex .60mm "The Wedge"

its white with and orange turtle.

.60mm lets me play fast enough without losing tone(?), and the smooth texture is more resistant to sweat build up the the grippy brain ones.

sidenote: Flea, when he uses picks, also uses dunlop tortex .60mm picks, Hunter from AFI uses .60mm picks as well.
Junkstuff1
Long Fingers Alex
10 IQ
Originally posted by Goddamnit
i also had this heavy dunlop. it was a tiny thing though. I think it said Jazz something on it. that worked really well too

You're the only person besides me and a friend of mine that I know has ever used one of those.

I use Dunlop Jazz IIIs (similar to, if not the same as, what Goddamnit mentioned). They are the smallest picks I've ever seen, but I love them. If you get some of these, get the black ones - they have a textured coating, whereas the red ones are smooth.

I really can't stand gigantic picks, and even regular sized picks are a bother to me after I've used the Jazz IIIs. I don't understand how you all can use the larger picks, but I'm weird, I guess. And no, my hands are not small.
Computer programmers are loopy.
- That's one of my own!
Goddamnit
What a complete B@stard
199 IQ
that was it. Jazz III. it was the smooth red one. I preferred using that to any other pick, but I lost the bugger after a gig
Quote by Bumper
chinko
Banned
30 IQ
Any Pick Size over 1.5mm is getting silly. just because the strings are thick doenst mean the Picks have to be too. and i found my pick, its 1.14mm and probably the best 40p i ever spent
MetalUpTheAss
Has commitment issues.
872 IQ
I like using big picks because I hold my pick like James Hetfield, w/ three fingers..

However I'll look for some of those Jazz III's today...
haha
casual9
13 IQ
i use a 1.4mm pick and it seems to work perfect
member of the bass militia... bitch

PM chinko to join
Secondhandloser
Banned
90 IQ
When I pick, I use Dunlop Nylon .73 or 100's, as I prefer the tone you get from a thinner pick...
MATTTHEMOP
professional insomniac
2,737 IQ
planet waves.

convenient and look so buff.

dunno where to get planet waves tho, i got mine from an alter bridge concert (the bassist threw it at me!)
i need to get a better signature.
jimmeh
Captain of the Guard
145 IQ
^I used those a while ago, but then I started to use heavier picks. I've got a (I think) .99 I use when I can't find the others.
Quote by Punk Poser
I was called a "cum dumpster" by this kid at school. At the time I thought it meant I was cool.
I_hate_kyle
UG's Disney fan
57 IQ
I use a purple Dunlop 2mm mostly. I have another one that I found outside of a Denny's that I use occasionaly.
SaintofLA
35 IQ
I couldn't tell you what kind it is, but I have a felt pick. They're great because the softness of pick doesn't mess with the tone all too much like normal picks can.
Tostitos
caffeinated
868 IQ

Seriously though, how does one dig up a thread this old?

EDIT: I don't remember if we're supposed to report necroposting for the close, or if we're just supposed to discourage it. Either way, reported for the necropost.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Last edited by Tostitos at Jun 28, 2011,