Page 1 of 2
gdm09
UG's aspiring keyboardist
5,139 IQ
is it possible to play an electric guitar without an amp? does it sound bad or something? does it sound good when you practice on them?
ishallrock
Lazy
72 IQ
of course its possible. it doesn't sound bad but you can't change your tone. it sounds swell.
Well of course I have something here.
AllPlayDead666
Banned
10 IQ
electric guitars are not like acoustics (unless you get semi hollow body electric) electric guitars just don't have any way for sound to really get around them without using there pickups, so yea they do sound bad, but you can play them unplugged, they are just not loud, and don't sound that good.
E Daws
I play guitar
336 IQ
It just sounds quiet. It is like a quiet acoustic. I think it sounds fine, not as cool as using amp but it still sounds fine.
"electric guitars are not like acoustics (unless you get semi hollow body electric) electric guitars just don't have any way for sound to really get around them without using there pickups, so yea they do sound bad, but you can play them unplugged, they are just not loud, and don't sound that good."
What do you mean they don't sound as good? The guitar itself has the tone and the sustain and all the good stuff. The pick ups are just the way the vibrations of the strings are picked up so they can be transmited as an electric signal to your amp. The sound from the strings just goes out. All an acoustic does is has a hole that amplifies the strings sound.
Quote by RHCP94
It's an option for the "Which one of E Daws parents are uglier?" thread.
Last edited by E Daws at Jul 18, 2005,
sexydancingguy
115 IQ
u can play it without an amp but no one else will hear at as well as the person playing
if hes so smart how come hes dead
bean-o
348 IQ
NO! if you do that it will blow up!

You can, it just wont be loud, I do it all the time to practice, you just need to be in a more quiet area when yo practice with it.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
atc228
595 IQ
its very possible, its not as loud though. i usualy play without an amp, seeing as my amp sucks. ur ears get used to how quiet it is so then its not that big of a deal. it doesnt sound the same as on an amp of course because of distortion/volume/effects etc. even if u play clean the sound difference is noticable. but its not always that bad practicing without your amp. just know that things do sound different (not always bad, but not always good)
Quote by happytimeharry
ig·no·rant

1. Lacking education or knowledge.
2. Showing or arising from a lack of education or knowledge: an ignorant mistake.
3. Unaware or uninformed.

also see: elitist asshat
SR20DETT
MeowMix
88 IQ
When you play with the amp, the sound is well, amplified (duh ) and you can hear all your mistakes, when the distortion's off >_>

I'd say practice with the amp on :]
Les Paul Player!
83lespaulstudio
Registered "Old Fart"
193 IQ
an electric guitar needs amplification.
you can get "pocket amps" that play through headphones, or a small amp, used for about $25- $50 (us). its' worth it.

ridcullylives
UG's McCartney Defender
490 IQ
No...if you play without an amp the ghost of Jimi Hendrix will come out of your guitar pickups and beat you over the head with a strat. Then go and get stoned.

Founder and member #1 of "The Beatles really are the greatest" club...PM me to join.

Quote by Zeus2716

but whatever you do, never, i repeat NEVER masturbate with hot sauce.
You can't play as much either, harmonics wont be audible, tapping is really hard to get loud enough to hear as well, and your strings wont last as long, as you'll unknowingly be picking them harder to get more volume. Other than this playing unplugged is fine, and since you can hear more of the mistakes your making without the distortion, you can correct them, rather than continue to make them and hinder your developemnt as a player. I practice unplugged quite a lot, especially if just learning a new riff, since then i know if i've got it right before i amp it. I'd recomend also using an amp in your practice though, as you need to use slightly different methods when amped, and more things become possible plugged in.
jj1565
Officially Knighted
1,715 IQ
^like said, grab a mini amp for now...
http://www.axetopia.com/items/Danelectro/DANN10.htm

this one is really sweet.

but no, if ur in tune it doesnt sound bad, its just quiet.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
HopePoisoned
UG's Rack Head
304 IQ
it's just the sound of the strings resonating (and the body takes a little into consideration, too)

it doesn't sound bad, practicing without an amp is fine for me

...or i use my dean markley mini amp - but that Honey one looks better
-Mike
seljer
UG Resident
1,380 IQ
Half of the time I'm too lazy to plug in my guitar. Yeah it sounds fine.....

As far whats harder...with or without distortion and stuff, I almost have more trouble with distortion because when you accidently make another string ring you really hear it...its hard to get things sound perfectly clear.
ludachris0606
Zakk Angus VanHammett
220 IQ
yea it's fine, especially if you want to play and not piss your parents off by playing loud...
Later in the evenin, as you lie awake in bed, hear the echoes of the amplifiers ringin' in your head, smoke the days last cigarette rememberin' what she said...
awesom-o4000
mentally guitarted
133 IQ
Originally posted by seljer
Half of the time I'm too lazy to plug in my guitar. Yeah it sounds fine.....

As far whats harder...with or without distortion and stuff, I almost have more trouble with distortion because when you accidently make another string ring you really hear it...its hard to get things sound perfectly clear.

yeah my amps plugged in my room, i used play out in the living room unplugged with my strat for lookin up tabs, no one else can really hear it, sounds fine tho, now i have an acoustic and i use that, doesnt really matter tho unless your trying to play for someone else besides your self
Gear

Gibson Sg Special Faded
Ibanez pf15 acoustic
Fender Frontman 15 G
utsapp89
Banned
260 IQ
95% of the time I play unplugged due to ampage situations I have encountered recently...
gdm09
5,139 IQ
can you bust a 10 to 15 watt amp if you play too loud while practicing?
~Rock~Guitarist
899 IQ
Originally posted by gdm09
can you bust a 10 to 15 watt amp if you play too loud while practicing?

i doubt it. maybe if you play with all the knobs at max for hours and hours at a time. but even then maybe. amps dont really "bust" much
Orange Rockerverb 100 + Orange PPC412
Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Ibanez RGA121 Prestige
Fender Road Worn Player's Telecaster
jj1565
Officially Knighted
1,715 IQ
i think if its really a really cheap amp, playing it at excessive volumes constantly will shorten its life. but its not going to be ur only amp forever, so who cares.
how loud are we talking, and what brand amp.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

gdm09
5,139 IQ
its an ibz10 tone blaster amp i use to practice playing my guitar. it comes with the following features:

*10 watts
*6 in. speakers
*3-band EQ
*switchable gain
*headphone jack
*12" W x 13" H x 7 1/2" D
*12 lbs.
jj1565
Officially Knighted
1,715 IQ
are u putting it to 10? and if so for how long at a time.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

gdm09
5,139 IQ
i dont have it yet, im getting it and i want to make sure it wont break.
jj1565
Officially Knighted
1,715 IQ
ohh, well its not a great amp. probably a mini roland is better if u can get one for the same price.

i would think u could get it pretty loud but still keep the amp at a safe level. most 15 W will give u enough for ur practice. a 10W can be pushing it a little. not that theres that much difference in the level anyway.

i dont think i ever push my 25W over 3.
seems pretty loud to me, and its just for the basement.

but i use a 50W with a drummer, could use the 25W but then id probably have to put it on 6 or something.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

gdm09
5,139 IQ
does the more watts mean the more power or louder sound or longer lasting?
jj1565
Officially Knighted
1,715 IQ
well i guess my last post was all over the place, but basically more watts gives you more output. or a louder amp.

and its not that there's a certain amount of time before an amp will blow. also, its not rocket science, u'll know if ur pushing ur amp too far, because it will start to break up on u at that loud volume.

i was just suggesting the roland cube because ive found they make a quallity practice amp. there's a reason why their amps are a little more expensive. they dont break up as easily.

hopefully u can test some out for urself and judge.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

tubadude
I do something. . .
1,797 IQ
im sorry but this is a question that i cannot believed was asked. i mean you never plucked a string on your guitar when it was not plugged in? are you worried that it is going to explode?

its like asking "can you drive a convertable with the top up?"

sorry, thats just a weird question
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
crazee201
Registered Car
2,255 IQ
everyone at my school tells me it sounds like a god damn banjo

Forum Archives / About / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2006