Aut
UG Newbie
122 IQ
I have a B.C. Rich with stock passive pickups and I want to change them with active EMGs (81/58). It looks like I can just take off the passive one's and put in the active ones in the same place as them. Is there anything I need to change to make active pickups work with the same wiring as passive ones? Thanks for any help.
MetalUpTheAss
Has commitment issues.
872 IQ
eh, you'll need to rout stuff, I believe.

Also, what the FUCK is a 58?

also, IMO, if it's a bronze, don't even bother.
haha
Aut
UG Newbie
122 IQ
The EMG 58 is the original version of the 85 but a little different, and its a NJ neckthrough Warlock. These are really old pickups that I got from George Benson's guitar.
MetalUpTheAss
Has commitment issues.
872 IQ
I'm not sure, but since it's backwards routed anwyays (Right?) I'd try it out, you might not need to route extra stuff. I don't know about old ones, but the newer ones have "Quik Connect" stuff I beileve.
haha
Aut
UG Newbie
122 IQ
Im not sure what you mean about routed backwards... but these don't have a quick connect cable. Its just one wire that splits into two, and one that goes to the battery.
sillybuuger12
VYVYAN YOU BASTARD!!
2,288 IQ
you need to find enough room for the batery in there though that's where the routing can come in.
seljer
UG Resident
1,380 IQ
EMG give you basically give you all the stuff you need to install the pickups in the box.
Aut
UG Newbie
122 IQ
There is enough room for the battery to fit in the cavity with the pots in it. I got these out of George Benson's guitar because he was putting in different ones, so all I have is the pickups.

So it sounds like I can just take off the old ones and put the wires of the active ones in the same place that the passive ones were with no problems? I guess its worth a shot. Thanks for the help

Peace
Aut
UG Newbie
122 IQ
Allright, These pickups both have a plain red wire coming out of them which I assume is for the battery.
I bought some 9 volt battery teminals and they have a red and a black wire coming out of them. I need to connect this to the pickups and my question is this:

Does it matter which pickup connects to the black or red wire on the terminal?

Thanks for the help
Aut
UG Newbie
122 IQ
Allright... so there are special jacks for active pickups? is the black just a ground?
tongue untied
UGs redneck[I][I][/I][/I]
484 IQ
^ basicaly yes- but you have to solder it to its own lug- as it turns the battery on and off, and if you dont put it in the right place- yo may have your battery going non stop

and its not a GROUND, per to say, but it kinda ascts liek one- kiegon
Aut
UG Newbie
122 IQ
whats a lug? it needs a switch to turn the battery on and off?

Thanks for the help
AlGeeEater
Luthier
212 IQ
Originally posted by Aut

Thanks for the help

The two metal things with holes in them:

'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
tongue untied
UGs redneck[I][I][/I][/I]
484 IQ
Originally posted by Aut

Thanks for the help

no- it doesnt need a switch- the new input jack- i bleieve its sereo- if its not, its the other one, acts liek a switch to activate the battery when you plug the guitar in- so it doesnt run all the time-

and yes^ those are lugs - kiegon
That_Pink_Queen
My Avatar Kills Fascists!
5,856 IQ
No you only need mono.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
power freak
Counting to infinity...
1,431 IQ
Originally posted by Aut
The EMG 58 is the original version of the 85 but a little different, and its a NJ neckthrough Warlock. These are really old pickups that I got from George Benson's guitar.

Off topic but I'm a mod so it's ok.

Where are you located? I might want to buy those pups off you if they are Silent 58's! (The benson pups!)

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
Aut
UG Newbie
122 IQ
Haha, I live in Hawaii and their not for sale. sorry