Ok, I bought an Ibanez S470 a few months ago, and already put new pickups in it. I think this guitar is perfect, but it doenst have 24 frets. If I wanted to put a 24 fret neck on it, first off, would any Ibanez neck work, or would it have to be made specifically for that guitar? I really like the Wizard neck, so id like to get another one, do they make them with 24 frets? Would a neck from say an RG work?
put an extra fret or two over the pickup...youd prolly get a pretty cool sound by putting some fret wire out there, itd end up as a severely scalloped couple of frets, but thered be 24
member #12 of the Seinfeld Fan Club --PM the_experience or SethMegadefan to join
I am a pit ninja!
Member #1 of I Have a Sh*tty Job club
PM TheMutts to join
well it depends...

since there is a pickup right at the neck right now, you would not be able to do it without removing the pickup

no matter what you would still have to rout out part of the neck pocket

i would advise against it, and really, do you need the two extra frets? my hamer has like 27, and i rarely go past like 23...
Hamer Californian Elite
Ovation Celbrity Deluxe Acoustic
Line 6 Spider II 75 watt
Fender MA-1 3/4 Size Acoustic
Digitech GNX3 Effects Pedal
UNDER CONSTRUCTION: Custom Electric
well with a locking trem you could pull the note up if you need that 24th fret
member #12 of the Seinfeld Fan Club --PM the_experience or SethMegadefan to join
I am a pit ninja!
Member #1 of I Have a Sh*tty Job club
PM TheMutts to join
Originally posted by ston3
well it depends...

since there is a pickup right at the neck right now, you would not be able to do it without removing the pickup

i would advise against it, and really, do you need the two extra frets? my hamer has like 27, and i rarely go past like 23...

It will take a lot of body mods to make it happen. If you feel up to lot of routing wiring and painting then yes you can do it but if you don't then no.
Not taking any online orders.
Originally posted by JimmieRayVai
well with a locking trem you could pull the note up if you need that 24th fret

Or he could just bend at the 22nd fret, he should be able to reach those extra two notes.
The power of your example is far greater than what you say.
Originally posted by ?øXÍÇÍ?¥
Or he could just bend at the 22nd fret, he should be able to reach those extra two notes.

I've got 21 frets and I just do that (sometimes its easier to just pull off a natural harmonic though for the 24th fret...)

If you really need 24 frets you should you thought about that when you were buying the guitar
Well, thanks for all the replies. Its not that important. I knew that the nut and the bridge have to be a certain distance apart, but I wasnt sure. I didnt know if it was as easy as just taking a 24 fret neck from say an RG, and bolting it on to my body. But its not, so I wont bother. My next guitar that I want has 24 frets anyway.

Thanks fellas
Originally posted by ston3
well it depends...

Your Hamer has 27 frets!? Do you have a picture of it?
even if you did manage to change the scale length, the feel of the guitar will change completely.

the strings tension will be tighter, and you wont have that smooth playability...
Quote by MavataR
thats one hell of a find. Did it have change in the case? cause you probably stole it from a busker who was off taking a piss.

to do that you would have to get a totally new fretboard cause all the frets would be in the wrong place, and it would sound like zombies playing the ukelele or death

my friend did that to his guitar, for the sole purpose of, well, making it sound like a zombie was banging it on a rock while attempting to play the most ugly songs ever
Hamer Californian Elite
Ovation Celbrity Deluxe Acoustic
Line 6 Spider II 75 watt
Fender MA-1 3/4 Size Acoustic
Digitech GNX3 Effects Pedal
UNDER CONSTRUCTION: Custom Electric