Eraserhead
WTF?!!1?!!!111 t
20 IQ
I've had this amp for months, but I don't know what the Contour knob does... Help...
There's a fruitcake for everybody...
There's a fruitcake fot everyone...
Ratm_Clash_1959
UGs Guerrilla Guitarist
10 IQ
I think it makes the noise slightly more "rounded", like vintage Marshalls or Fenders. What sort of amp is it? Have you tried playing with it at different settings?
"Empty your pockets son, what you need is what they sellin' tryna make you think that buyin' is rebellin'"- Rage

"They think its funny, turnin' rebellion into money"- Clash

SAME LYRIC!!!!
liam177lewis
Tutor, Composer, Producer
123 IQ
have you tried turning the knob and seeing what the difference is? i got the same thing on mine, not too sure what it is either, i think its the same as voice on my old amp.
AlekOne
\m/
20 IQ
Contour=Mids

I think
Quote by Juneau
Metal is basicly hardcore without shouting and with riffs that get boring.
Quote by Distorte
Ok, there is this one dude I know lets call him T. Evans, no wait thats a little too obvious, Terry. E
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
440 IQ
contour normally (not always) is the opposite of mids: i.e. if you turn the contour up to 10, it's the same as turning mids down to 0, and vice versa.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Pi_Guitar
30 IQ
Contour, I'm not sure exactly what it does with your amp, appears to have many different variations as to what it does with sound, but it does affect bands of sound, kind of like an EQ. I've seen graphs of what they do and they seem to vary, but I don't remember where I've seen them, now, either. Sorry. It mainly will just affect how your amp sounds.
.:: ~TT ::.

Amor essentia vitae est.
(Love is the essence of life.)

<<alexmiller.dmusic.com>>
Quote by cokeisbetter
TT, I gotta say, if we get married and have kids, you'll be the godfather. Not the mob kind, but the sorta Vice-President type kind.
Logz
UGs UGing UGer
386 IQ
contour is your mids. You can have a scooped out mids which means you turn them right down.
Been away, am back
Logz
UGs UGing UGer
386 IQ
from dictionary.com

The distinctive rising and falling patterns of pitch, tone, or stress.
Been away, am back
SilentDeftone
UG God
210 IQ
Contour is basically your cheapo, one-knob equalizer. More contour will give you a more twangy trebly sound, while less gives you a warmer bassy sound.

What's the amp model?

-SD
utsapp89
Banned
20 IQ
The only amps I've seen that on are MG's. Turning it all the way down makes it sound like several heavy blankets were thrown over the speaker.
Kutanmoogle
UG Newbie
129 IQ
Contour functions similarly to the tone knobs on guitars with only one tone knob.
10-7: Magnify progressively lower treble frequencies (10 being highest treble, 7 being lower treble)
6-4 : Magnify progressively lower middle frequencies (6 being upper mids, 4 being lowest mids)
3-0: Magnify progressively lower bass frequencies (3 being upper bass, 0 being lowest bass)
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
vaimar republic
UG Newbie
10 IQ
bearing in mind what a 'contour' is - if you a picture a graph where your eq is mapped out in a line - the 'contour' takes out the mid - the 'contour' knob on the MG series has the same function as the 'scoop' button on the AVT series of marshall amps - taking out the mid range of your sound in order to give you that heavy metal sound.
on your amp - turn the bass and treble right up - then put the contour to 10 with heavy gain - welcome to metallica land. turn the contour right down and you will hear a muffly nasal quality comin out of your amp - this is your midrange!! find a happy medium - and add a little extra mid range when playing live - or else you guitar sound wont cut through the mix.....
...signing off sir
Shred's Cred
Efrain torres
10 IQ
CONTOUR- Adjusts the overall tone quality of the DRIVE channel. Low CONTOUR setting will emphasize mid frequencies. A higher setting will notch the midrange to produce the “crunch” sound characteristic in most heavy metal music. -Efrain
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.
120 IQ
Quote by Efrain torres
CONTOUR- Adjusts the overall tone quality of the DRIVE channel. Low CONTOUR setting will emphasize mid frequencies. A higher setting will notch the midrange to produce the “crunch” sound characteristic in most heavy metal music. -Efrain

This thread is eight years old.

EIGHT.

GOD.

DAMN.

YEARS.

*reported*
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Jun 25, 2013,
Fallenoath
My minds playin' tricks
70 IQ
Dat Necro.
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
Last edited by Fallenoath at Jun 26, 2013,