Page 4 of 6
Dude. DUDE. I can't even believe no one posted Red Hot Chili Peppers Under the Bridge yet. That's a great finger picking solo, especially for beginners.
Quote by shaf_9110
I'd imagine tabs for these don't exist?

You guessed correctly.

But if you have a youtube account, he's a really nice guy and I'm sure he'd help you with any problems you're having with any of his songs (as long as you don't bug him TOO much, lol).
Quote by Pi_Guitar
One of my favorite songs.

Also: Blackbird - The Beatles.

Yes, Blackbird is great..and so is Tears in Heaven - Eric Clapton
RAINBOW
Hi Milk_Can! I'm glad you want to improve your fingerpicking. Fingerpicking sounds great when you have the right technique and a nice song to play with! I'm not sure about any exercises but I'd try some of the songs people have said like 'Tears in Heaven' by Eric Clapton, thats a beautiful song to practice fingerpicking with. Also, try 'Wake Me Up when September ends' by Greenday.

Happy Playing!
Any of Tommy Emmanuel's stuff is always good. Especially for developing left hand technique. Crazy stretches. His Boom Chick technique also adds versatility and something special to any future songwriting you'd do. It's separating the thumb for the bass and the 3 fingers for the melody.

Check out Day Tripper by Tommy Emmanuel. Boom Chick.
dear prudence - beatles.

also bouree by bach is a good one
Quote by shredmeiser101
I tried BAGDAD tuning once, it actually was quite alright.

Quote by Meths
Do you have to actively try to spell words that wrong or does it come naturally to you?

Quote by MedicreDemon
You are very clever.

I invented this literary device I call sarcasm, that was an example of it.
Last edited by GU1T4R-H3R0 at Aug 26, 2009,
Surprised no one has mentioned nick drake... he had a natural talent for writing bold and emotional melodies... some of his finger picking work is very impressive. Check out these:

Cello song
Hazey jane 1
hanging on s star
man in a shed

Also, hallelujiah by jeff buckley and andy mcgee !
"The time I burned my guitar it was like a sacrifice. You sacrifice the things you love. I love my guitar."- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by IamJonsCranium

i practice by just learning songs. seems to be the best way to me.

Yeah, I think its the best way too Then you don't have to mess around with arpeggios and stuff, you just play the music you like. Which is what playing guitar should be like!
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Angelina--Tommy Emmanuel.
I think its hybird picked but it should still help fingerpicking technique and its a beautiful song.
If you've mastered Dust in the Wind by Kansas (which is mentioned at least 10x in this list), you might also try:

Tuolomne - Eddie Vedder (same picking pattern different chords)
Just Breathe - Pearl Jam (basically the same picking pattern, but extended)

Furthermore I recommend the Dutch band Racoon. Try these for example:
- Brother
- Laugh About it
Quote by improvsolo
Dude. DUDE. I can't even believe no one posted Red Hot Chili Peppers Under the Bridge yet. That's a great finger picking solo, especially for beginners.

I seem to recall seeing lots of people suggest that song, actually.

This Lullaby by Queens of the Stone Age is a good (very) simple one as well. And it's been mentioned but Classical Gas is well worth learning (total chick magnet ).
Quote by J_J

stupid ppl (they're like slinkies, not good for much, but they make you smile when pushed down the stairs)

Quote by Meths

Holy non-gender specific pronoun Batman!

Quote by freakypop

you dont rly play guitar if you dont shred
Midsummer's Daydream - Triumph
Embryonic Journey - Jefferson Airplane
Poles Apart (Acoustic Part) - Pink Floyd
Rondo alla turca - Mozart
Fur Elise - Beethoven
Moonlight sonata - Beethoven

Guaranteed - Eddie Vedder
Just Breathe - Pearl jam
Beatles - here comes the sun
Quote by Yours Truly
Romeo and Juliet - Dire Straits

Quote by skink182
your revolution is a joke - funeral for a friend

Two awesome choices there.

Any song can be fingerpick'd really. Loads of Dire Straits' stuff. Newton Faulkner. All sorts.

Wow this thread is 5 years old haha
Get the tabs of John Renbourne, Bert Jansch, Werner Lämmerhirt, Klaus Weiland, Leo Kottke, John Fahey, Paul Simons 60s songs
Quote by jimtaka
yeah classical gas is much easier than blackbird i think. classical gas is generally thought to be much harder than it is. i guess it's because it sounds so great. just because something sounds amazing doesn't mean it's hard! classical gas sounds amazing when played well and it's really not that hard once you get the patterns down.

and also, someone mentioned landslide which is a GREAT reccomendation, i can't believe i left that out of my original post. landslide is a fantastic song!

i suppose depending on the version it's easier, but while i was learning, blackbird was 100% easier than classical gas due to the bpm of each songs.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
Quote by ulieisel
Get the tabs of John Renbourne, Bert Jansch, Werner Lämmerhirt, Klaus Weiland, Leo Kottke, John Fahey, Paul Simons 60s songs

Seconding Leo Kottke, though I don't think he's for the beginner or faint of heart. I got this e-book which has some really good tunes that are worth picking through.
would a dreadnot acustic,be a good choice for finger style or would i be better getting a nylon string guitar,if so what would be a good not too expensive ,with low fret action.any help would be apreciated.thanks,paulsr.
Kansas - Dust in the Wind

Tristram Theme - Diablo

Stone Temple Pilots - Don't Follow

my fav picking songs!
Definitely not easy, so i'm aiming this more towards others, than to the person who started this:
Both by Eric Johnson
Song for George
A Song For Life

I actually couldn't believe there was no Eric Johnson on here before now..?
The Tallest Man on Earth is great and mostly finger picking if no one said it yet
Quote by randomtom
Surprised no one has mentioned nick drake... he had a natural talent for writing bold and emotional melodies... some of his finger picking work is very impressive.

I'm so glad someone else has said Nick Drake. I recently found this brilliant site:
http://www.nickdraketabs.com/
It has tabs and tunings for every song he ever recorded. Just be sure you're in the right tuning before you start learning one - he wrote a good few songs in standard, but a lot of them are in some pretty crazy tunings he made up himself (BEBEBE, for example).
I'd personally reccomend 'Day is Done' and 'Things Behind the Sun'.

EDIT: And you will definitely need a capo.
Last edited by stjimmee at Jan 3, 2011,
"Regulator" (Clutch)

One of my all-time favorite songs.
Quote by xadioriderx
you should just mount a really big chunk of wood

Quote by Wisthekiller
How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?
I'm too lazy to read all the post so sorry if someone else has already posted these.

Landslide- Fleetwood Mac
Blackbird- Beatles
Dust In The Wind - Kansas

These were the three songs I first learned to finger pick. Great songs
You could do Marry Me by Train as well, pretty simple song.

Edit: Woah, I didn't even see how old this was.
Last edited by Music_101 at Jan 11, 2011,
Quote by Music_101
I'm too lazy to read all the post so sorry if someone else has already posted these.

Landslide- Fleetwood Mac
Blackbird- Beatles
Dust In The Wind - Kansas

These were the three songs I first learned to finger pick. Great songs
You could do Marry Me by Train as well, pretty simple song.

Edit: Woah, I didn't even see how old this was.

HAHHA i just read that after i posted for landslide!