Page 1 of 16
I felt it was time for a new one of these, seeing as I've seen more and more people wanting and tyring to learn theory here. Plus, this thing is only beneficial. Let's see... Oh yeah, rules.

You post a lick, or a chord, or a scale and ask what it is. Or, you can ask for a musical blurb.. ie. A chord progression, and what's the next chord. Whoever answers the question right gets to post the next question, or can defer it to someone else. After about 24 hours, someone else can take it up and post a new question.

NO CRAZY EXTENSIONS
Firstly, because they have no real practical use. Secondly, it's just long and annoying. If you want to know what a crazy extension constitutes, here: CmMaj13#4b5(no 7). I'm sure some people can think of better examples, but there's a basic one for you.

If you get it right, and the question-asker doesn't give you the affirmation, but another user with credible status (who know's what they are talking about... think Cor, SD, Cas, Beat, slash_pwns, etc.) says it's good, then you can go ahead and post.

Use the CODE tags
It just makes things easier to read and organized.

-----

Post #1:

Name That Chord!

|-5-|
|-3-|
|-0-|
|-0-|
|-5-|
|-0-|
Originally posted by MrScary07RR

E D D G D A

ADEG

1 4 5 b7

Asus/E

That I'll take. But, I was going for Dsus2(4).

Your turn.
ok, it's a bit stretchy, most of you might not be able to play it, but it's a chord I like to use alot. so.... name that chord.

E--5---
B--0---
G--0---
D--0---
A--9---
E--12--

Cas-

p.s. i have to head to the studio for one lesson (god I hate the summer), I'll be back in a couple of hours
G(9) is Gadd9...
But we little know until tried how much of the uncontrollable there is in us, urging across glaciers and torrents, and up dangerous heights, let the judgment forbid as it may.
Originally posted by Dreadnought
G(9) is Gadd9...

I know, and it's not right. If SD means it that way, then it's wrong.

Woops, I'm dumb...
I'll say Gmaj9(6)/E

E F# D G B A

1 2(9) 3 5 6 7
G A    B D E F#
Woops, was counting that note on the A string as G, And yes I did mean Gadd9, which is wrong.

I'll go with Gmaj9/E. I've never seen a chord named as Gmaj9(6) <--

-SD
Emin11

1 2(9) 3 4(11) 5 6 7
E F# G A B D

and how the hell can u play that lol
Originally posted by casualty01

E--5---
B--0---
G--0---
D--0---
A--9---
E--12--
E F# D G B A

E = 1 2 b7 b3 5 4 = 1 b3 5 b7 9 11

I don't know what you guys are smoking around here, but the strongest function is Em11. It's built pretty straight... wait, dead-on straight. All these other names have adds and skipped tones.

btw, any chord with a 6 and is written "6/9"... in smaller print.
Looking for my India/Django.
hang on.

wot i dont get is, how do u know whether a chord is a split chord or not? i mean, with this last chord on this thread, theres dispute about whether it is split or not.
i need to get a better signature.
Originally posted by MATTTHEMOP
hang on.

wot i dont get is, how do u know whether a chord is a split chord or not? i mean, with this last chord on this thread, theres dispute about whether it is split or not.

Well, if there's a better harmonic function (a major chord instead of a sus chord) or one is named more correctly and it's root note isn't the lowest note in the chord; usually we'll add a slash and put the lowest note to indicate that it is the lowest note.

Em/G

|-0-|
|-0-|
|-0-|
|-2-|
|-2-|
|-3-|
^ the notes in the chord u just showed are:
G
B
E
G
B
E

EGB are the notes in a e minor chord, thats obvious. so is this an inverted chord, with the G as the bass note?
i need to get a better signature.
Red's got it most accurately and in it's strongest order. i mean, it just reaks of a minor 9 at least lol.

anyways.... as far as application goes (so this isn't just some bullshit I throw at you guys to name)

this kind of chord is refered to as a cluster chord. now as guitarists we can't doo too many of these... it's pretty limited, as cluster chords are built mainly in seconds. if you'll kindly take notice, alls I did was take the 1st 6 notes of the D Maj scale and voiced them so they're only seperated by 2nds. of course, you can't do this all the way through, so I raised the 5th up an octave, but the concept still applies.

these are great chords to use for modal comping and most Sus passages, cause they're pretty all inclusive. every note except one is in the scale, and that note happens to be the 7th of the major scale... removing that one note (and therefore any tritone presence) gives you a pretty intermodal friendly chord (same with intervallic structures on the upper 4 strings). so really, you could call this chord anything within that key, and use it over any modal setting within D major as long as the bass be holdin down the basis of the vamp.

good job red.

Cas-
Originally posted by The_Strat_Man
Well, if there's a better harmonic function (a major chord instead of a sus chord) or one is named more correctly and it's root note isn't the lowest note in the chord; usually we'll add a slash and put the lowest note to indicate that it is the lowest note.

Em/G

|-0-|
|-0-|
|-0-|
|-2-|
|-2-|
|-3-|

I'd say its a G add6 though...
but there's no 5th (and don't bother telling me you don't need the 5th, this I know) ... and the presence of a 5th leads to a strong 6th sound. if there is one instance I know of, sonically, where removing the 5th helps to fuck over the sound of the chord, it's the Maj6 chord. sure you can get rid of the 5th and still call it a major 6..... IF the setting permits.

to really get that major 6th sound by itself, you need that 5th. now of chorse over a Maj vamp in the background whether it be the bass player or someone compinc harmonically, yeah, just using any inversion of a minor chord built off the 6th degree of that root would work to create a maj6 chord. but let's be sonically honest ... while you can say "that's a G6" (not G add6) .... it most certainly sounds like and functions as a simple Eminor chord.

Cas-
well of course it functions like both, I just thought it sounded more like the G was the root. but really, that chord is so simple Its really up to the song to dictate which one it is.
I knew there was a special name for that mother fucker...

Here we go, on of my favs...:

-0-
-1-
-0-
-1-
-0-
---

Looking for just a single name here.

red
EDIT: ^^^When you have a natural 5, the minor 5 becomes a #4.

A, actually.

I am confused by your response.
the 5th would take presedence.

ergo .. Amin7 (b5)

however, we'll call it a #11 and place it nicely with it's parent mode. the Dorian #4 mode of harmonic minor.

thus... Amin7 (#11)

Cas-
Originally posted by redwing_suck
A, actually.

I am confused by your response.

ohh, me lol ...

I was talking to Shred about the Gmaj 6/Emin 1st inversion thingy

Cas-
holy ass, all three of us are going at once.

I have the notes A D# G C E in my chord... the answer is not A-7b5.
phew, thanks, go ahead doug. I was like, "holy shit, wtf happened to this thread?!?"

answer was A-7#11