Page 1 of 11
Underhander
Im not high...
272 IQ
hendrix was a very good guitar player in many different ways, but is he really the "best"? not in my opinion.

and i know ppl are gonna say stuff like "oh, he revolutionized the way ppl play guitar blah blah" i already kno this, and that is true. but does that really make him the "best"? again..not in my opinion.

your thoughts?
Gibson SG Standard
Fender Stratocaster
Marshal AVT150H
trey-col89
the angry young man
1,127 IQ
No he wasn't. Its "common knowledge" today that Jimi was the best, but I don't think he was the best.
*Official Deadhead*

The times they are a-changin'
Buscubba
Mac Daddy Sheep
58 IQ
he was damn good. but its a total matter of opinion. though they may try, no one is going to force you to believe that he was the best guitar player ever, there are too many "best" guitar players ever.
Damn the man, save the empire!

I only eat pebbles and wheatstalks. you should too.
moccasin11
UG Peace Frog
64 IQ
he was the greatest performer but i dont know aboutm guitarist
Dream Theater fan club member
Grunge fan club member
Voodoo8868
I beat up nickelback fans
60 IQ
yeah, people are gonna just argue this, he was good, but i wouldnt say best, like come on, Jimmy Page, Joe Perry, Eddie Van Halen..are all way better in my opinion so..
Be forewarned that I have evil spirits of the underworld residing in my keyboard, so anything they may posts is not my responsibility nor my fault.
Baba O'Riley
23 IQ
Yes. But this thread is WAY overdone and quite frankly I don't want to argue with people who unfortunately cannot see his talent.
WARNING:This post contains explicit portrayals of violence; sex; violent sex; sexual violence; clowns and violent scenes of violent excess, which are definitely not suitable for all audiences.
gibsonfan2
UG Newbie
11 IQ
Arguements could be made and fought over til yer blue in the face whether he was the best. I look at it like this, To me he was the best. he was a pioneer. but if someone else says hes not, thats okay. Jimi is my pick
My Gear:

Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Strat American Standard
Mesa/Boogie Studio caliber
B-52 AT 100 Head 4x12 half stack
Pignose
Electro-harmonix phase shifter
Dunlop Fasel wah pedal
Teach a child music
keefo
a man of wealth and taste
154 IQ
yes i believe he was the greatest, there is somthing about listening to jimi that does somthing no other musician can do, he was amazing, music just flowed out of him
I choose my friends for their good looks, my acquaintances for their good characters, and my enemies for their intellects. A man cannot be too careful in the choice of his enemies.
Y2A 66
UG's McCartney Fan
85 IQ
The majority of the posts here don't even seem to project that any of you actually know his music well. You just read some reviews and what other people say on this site and then type some random nonsense as if you know whats going on
Do yourself a favor and listen to "Are you experienced?"
then come back and tell me why he is in a completely different realm than anyone else. Remember that the music you're hearing is 1967 and then listen to what everyone else was doing at that time. He is the greatest, and he will always be.
Oh, Mama, can this really be the end
To be stuck inside of Mobile
With the Memphis blues again.
FenderStrat206
12 IQ
In my opinion there is no "best" guitar player. I think there are many great guitarists out there just like Hendrix, Page, EVH, Clapton, all of those guys. They are just all equal or damn near it. No one in my opinion can anyone is the "best".
Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American Stratocaster

Amplification: Marshall JCM 800 100w
Straight 1960Lead Marshall Cab

Effects: Dunlop Cry Baby, Boss DD-7 Digital Delay.
poxydoo
21 IQ
Originally posted by Y2A 66
The majority of the posts here don't even seem to project that any of you actually know his music well. You just read some reviews and what other people say on this site and then type some random nonsense as if you know whats going on
then come back and tell me why he is in a completely different realm than anyone else. Remember that the music you're hearing is 1967 and then listen to what everyone else was doing at that time. He is the greatest, and he will always be.

That reminds me of something my friend said. When I said Hendrix wasn't my favorite he was convinced I hadn't listened hard enough and I must listen again with all my heart, then I would realize he is the best.
I still like Mark Knopfler, John McLaughlin, Yngwie Malmsteen, and David Gilmour more.
Just my opinion, though.
SethMegadefan
UG's Star Wars Nerd
2,020 IQ
As long as you're wanting opinions I'd say no. But that's just me, and I realize he was a phenomenal guitarist but I just don't think he was THE best. It's opinion, though, and if someone thinks he's the best it doesn't really bother me. That's their opinion.
x_thurston_x
Fear and Loathing
1,016 IQ
yeah dude its all opinion really....
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
bong-water
Freak Out!
102 IQ
He helped put guitar soloing on the map, but he's really not that incredible of a player.
Quote by highway2hell999
What The Hell Is Bong-water????????????????????????????????
YEAH, A BABY!
Cream_n_Blues
Banned
10 IQ
Do you who is the best guitarist?

There's no such thing called the best guitar player, it depends on which aspects of the good guitar players that would make them the best guitarist, but serious there's no best
syyz1
78 IQ
Originally posted by Misc Debris
Who cares?He wrote some awesome music,don't you think?

DireStraits
Princess By Dawn
89 IQ
Skill-wise, he is not the best. Don't get me wrong, he was an excellent guitarist and I respect him greatly.

But "best" in any other way comes truly from opinion. What truly decides a great guitarist? How good their music is. Someone who is a big Hendrix fan will say he is the best because they like his music. Someone who doesn't is unlikely to aknowledge him as the best because he doesn't write music they favor.
Signature? We don't need no stinkin' signature!
ledblimp
UGs tanglewood les paul
21 IQ
as far as raw talent went, jimi was the best and if he had had time to develop he would have been the greatest ever but in my opinion, jimmy page is the greatest
no-one likes scrappy-doo
ridcullylives
UG's McCartney Defender
490 IQ
Listen to the 15-minute long Voodoo Chile on Electric Ladyland...that sealed the deal for me.

But hey...everyone's entitled to their opinion.
Founder and member #1 of "The Beatles really are the greatest" club...PM me to join.

Quote by Zeus2716

but whatever you do, never, i repeat NEVER masturbate with hot sauce.
anthonyzoso89
24 IQ
The thing that made jimi more than anything was how he played with so much soul. No other guitar player ever has ever played with so much soul and emotion like jimi. Technically you could say Steve Vai or Joe Satriani are the best, but they dont play with as much soul as jimi.
xX*Zeppelin*Xx
jamming econo
1,398 IQ
Jimi Hendrix is by far my favourite guitarist. This is generally because I like his style, on stage perfromance and his music. However, there are other guitarists that are technically as good as him such as Santana, David Gilmour and Rory Gallagher.

It annoys when people say Jimi Hendrix was "the best" because he was revolutionary or that there would be no Joe Satriani etc.. if it were not for Hendrix. What about Chuck Berry or BB King? If it were not for them there would be no Jimi Hendrix. They basically invinted the way in which the electric guitar was played.
coffeeguy9
Music is my Aeroplane
985 IQ
To put it short:

No.

--

But still, he was very musical and amazing for what he was given. He had to communicate about musical things to his band using colors and feelings, instead of "Hey, play this in f phrygrian!"
TheHeartbreaker
The Pope of Zeppelinism
1,584 IQ
Hendrix was great, easily Top 10, probably Top 5 on the my personal list of greatest guitarist.

Listening to him with Band of Gypsys live at the Fillmore East, and watching him on my DVD and a friend's video keeps me amazed with his guitar work.

Yet, there are people such as Page, SRV, and Alvin Lee of Ten Years After that are up there with the talent of Hendrix.

He died so young; we saw only the beginning of his work.
acdc101
pft
295 IQ
Listen to music rock & roll before Hendrix and compare it to rock & roll after Hendrix. For the most part, the sound completely changed. He started a musical revolution, the only other guitarist (In my opinion) that can rival Hendrix in innovativeness is Eddie Van Halen, who (more or less) single-handedly founded the genre of shred.

But as for being the best guitarist, it all comes down to opinion.
LastFM
my deviantART
Quote by saintjimmy99
thank you kindly. now feel free to put a quote from me in your sig that says whatever you like.
KingBrendan5149
Banned
910 IQ

i agree with you 100 percent. Hendrix had so many different styles to his playing that many other guitar players don't. If you listen to Voodoo Chile, it's the creepiest blues i have ever heard. He can play delicately and gentle like on little whing, angel, and the wind cries mary. He died when he was 27 and we can only guess what else he could have done.

He had to sing and play guitar at the same time (something I personally find really hard and I have immense respect for people who can do the two at the same time). Does Jimmy Page sing and play unbelievable guitar solos? Does EVH? If Hendrix was only a guitar player, he could have been technically better if that's only he had to worry about. Also, what other guitar player can play with there teeth?
«ÃFireÏnside»
Dancing Alone
53 IQ
Originally posted by acdc101
Listen to music rock & roll before Hendrix and compare it to rock & roll after Hendrix. For the most part, the sound completely changed. He started a musical revolution, the only other guitarist (In my opinion) that can rival Hendrix in innovativeness is Eddie Van Halen, who (more or less) single-handedly founded the genre of shred.

But as for being the best guitarist, it all comes down to opinion.

I know EVH basically created shred, but I want to see Ritchie Blackmore get some credit for helping invent that genre as well. Listen to some of his solos in the early 70's when Deep Purple were in their prime (Child In Time, Smoke on the Water, Highway Star, etc.) and compare to other guitarists solos, he was probably the shredder of the day. My opinion of course, but I feel he should get some credit, great guitarist.
It's not the fear of what's beyond
It's just that I might not respond
SethMegadefan
UG's Star Wars Nerd
2,020 IQ

Opinions, man, opinions. Besides, I have listened to "Are You Experienced", and to be honest, I still don't think he's the best. I respect your opinion and it's one thing to think he's the best but to get mad at someone for not thinking he's the best? Isn't that a bit extreme? I mean, we all have our own opinions, just like you. I didn't think he was the best. Yet I'm not going to tell you to listen to somebody else whom I believe to be better and tell you that they're the best! Get my point?
mike26
Fender Strat Lover
11 IQ
I feel in terms of actual playing ability, there are many players who are better than Hendrix. But he was like nothing that was being heard at the time he was playing. He helped start a whole new genre of rock music. Perosnally, I'm not much of a fan of his style, but certain songs (Hey Joe, Little Wing) are just are awesome.
CornLord
¡Ayúdame, estoy en fuego!
24 IQ
Originally posted by KingBrendan5149
He had to sing and play guitar at the same time (something I personally find really hard and I have immense respect for people who can do the two at the same time). Does Jimmy Page sing and play unbelievable guitar solos? Does EVH?

Well, if you're being technical, Eddie did sing and play guitar for Van Halen when they were called Mammoth and they didn't have David Lee Roth yet...but I see your point.

Anyways, Hendrix isn't my favorite guitar player (personally I think he was a better lyricist) but he definitely knew what he was doing and was an innovator.
Quote by bigwillie
CornLord, you just blew my mind.
SouthernRocker9
10 IQ
i think he was a great guitarist but you know like santana was WAY up there and so is steve ray vaughn bb king steve vai and doyle dykes
if i had a shotgun you know what id do

id point that **** straight at the sky and shoot heaven on down for you
ufossuck
Delighfully twisted
1,186 IQ
He was the best guitarist ever and people who say Jimmy Page was better are wrong
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
acdc101
pft
295 IQ
Originally posted by «ÃFireÏnside»
I know EVH basically created shred, but I want to see Ritchie Blackmore get some credit for helping invent that genre as well. Listen to some of his solos in the early 70's when Deep Purple were in their prime (Child In Time, Smoke on the Water, Highway Star, etc.) and compare to other guitarists solos, he was probably the shredder of the day. My opinion of course, but I feel he should get some credit, great guitarist.

Yeah, Blackmore did have a hand in creating shred also, his playing was unlike anything else at that time.
LastFM
my deviantART
Quote by saintjimmy99
thank you kindly. now feel free to put a quote from me in your sig that says whatever you like.
Riffin'AwEsOm!!
UG Newbie
10 IQ
Jimi hendrix was as close to being a definate "best" that there has ever been. however, i think even if he is the best, i still favor eric clapton over hendrix. it doesnt get much better than layla...
And if u listen very hard, the tune will come to you at last. when all is one and one is all; to be a rock and not to roll...
And she's buying a stairway to heaven...
ridcullylives
UG's McCartney Defender
490 IQ
^^^ YES! Another Clapton fan!

I still think Jimi is better.
Founder and member #1 of "The Beatles really are the greatest" club...PM me to join.

Quote by Zeus2716

but whatever you do, never, i repeat NEVER masturbate with hot sauce.
Stula1031
Sex is a texas drought.
596 IQ
At his time he wooped major ass
Quote by Brothers_In_Arms
The Darkness are kind of a classic rock band, despite being a current band, so i though id put it here.