les_kris
Fight The Dog
346 IQ
My new guitar has a dead fret, fifth fret on the high E string.

Is there any way i can fix this? I have tried adjusting the action but its sti playing the same note as the 6th fret.
Many thanks
Quote by metal_fretter
ok so iv started been shredding for a while now. and i was reading other threads and i was wondering, is shredding just playing random notes all over the fret board wherever i want. or am i supposed to shred in some kind of scale??
Danno13
1,671 IQ
intonation problems? PM jj1565, that seems to be her specialty.
jj1565
Officially Knighted
1,715 IQ
can u see if the fret is flat?
some people will suggest filing, but i like to leave fret work to the pros.
depending on the guitar's worth, a refret or a dressing on one wire shouldnt be too costly. check out this site ...
http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Luthier/Technique/Setup/BuzzDiagnosis/buzzlist.html

yep im all over it danno

if its loose, a light tap in with a rubber hammer, could do the trick, but again i hate suggesting something usually done by a pro.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Aug 22, 2005,
les_kris
Fight The Dog
346 IQ
the string is hitting the 6th fret when you are pussing down on the 5th, this is the reason, but how can i change that?
Quote by metal_fretter
ok so iv started been shredding for a while now. and i was reading other threads and i was wondering, is shredding just playing random notes all over the fret board wherever i want. or am i supposed to shred in some kind of scale??
jj1565
Officially Knighted
1,715 IQ
i think ur saying that ur 6th fret is high.
u have a high fret. that fret might be fixed with a tap in like i mentioned.

if its really off something more drastic like filing or dressing it. but usually u need to file several frets.
a damaged fret would be refretted.

if its just the one string, raising the action a small bit on the string could help clear the fret.
depends on type of guitar, strat would be easier than a gibson to fix it this way.

edit: its the high E, so should be able to adjust that string reguardless of the guitar.
of course most people like their high E's low.

if it was several strings i would be thinking truss rod.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Last edited by jj1565 at Aug 22, 2005,
les_kris
Fight The Dog
346 IQ
Cheers jenny thats reall helpful, gonna try some of those things out now. Will let you know.
Quote by metal_fretter
les_kris
Fight The Dog
346 IQ
Ahh jenny, there i time i could kiss you if not for the atlantic divide. Hammering the fret down in front worked perfectly. Thank you so much.
Quote by metal_fretter
jj1565
Officially Knighted
1,715 IQ
anytime, u are a future luthier for sure.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62