Caressing Death
Virtuoso in training
1,176 IQ
What are some tips for making a guitar with a lot of sustain? Does shape, size, thickness etc matter? I dont want any certain type of pickups so dont suggest any! Basically just tips on how to get more sustain when building a guitar
Originally posted by WlCmToTheJungle "you have just received the amish computer virus. Since the amish dont have computers it's based on there honor system so please delete all of your files immediatly. thank you
seljer
UG Resident
1,380 IQ
Neck thru construction

hardtail bridge

probably mahogany body/neck if the les pauls are know for the sustain so much

and you could throw on one of those fernandez sustainer things for good measure too
Diabolic Clown
Saucerful of Secrets
660 IQ
Harder woods give a Brighter sound with more sustain, softer woods less sustain and their sound is softer.
mnbaseball91
The Dude
1,030 IQ
Solid oak body should do it...oh wait, you still want it to sound good?

Pretty much what seljer said.
"The most important thing is to learn how to play the guitar before you get 50,000 dollars worth of complicated gear" -Slash

Not a member of any clubs. Don't PM me.
russiaininvader
Addicted to Chaos
558 IQ
any dense would will sustain good, there are betters than mahogany. get a good graphite or bone nut too. and good locking tuners. also, the amount of wood, size/thickness, will have a large effect, even shape to a small extent.
Smitherz
415 IQ
io've heard a compresser does too....and an ebow....not sure tho.
OnlytheLonely
searching for myself
82 IQ
I heard that in the 50's or 60's, a guitar was made out of a piece of granite, and that it had crazy sustain. But it was obviously unplayable, and so heavy that it had to be kept on a stand.
rock long, rock hard, Rock On
ston3
UG Senior Member
278 IQ
i think it was cement they made it out of, and it was playable but it was so heavy it needed a stand

but imagine the sustain!!

and by the way it was made by fender

according to a TV show

Hamer Californian Elite
Ovation Celbrity Deluxe Acoustic
Line 6 Spider II 75 watt
Fender MA-1 3/4 Size Acoustic
Digitech GNX3 Effects Pedal
UNDER CONSTRUCTION: Custom Electric
mutated_riff
UG......ly
492 IQ
yeah it was a granite fender that had to b played like a lapsteel...except not on ur lap....cuz it was too heavy for that too but everything else sounds about right...inertia has a huge part in string sustain...thicker strings weigh more and sustain longer...a bigger chunk of wood stays still from inertia and the grain in harder wood moves less so less vibrations r absorbed by the wood. different woods absorb different frequencies which cause them to have unique tonal qualities. in theory the best sustain will come from a neck thru guitar made of a dense, hard, heavy wood such as maple, wenge, purpleheart.
BobFromReboot
My names not really Bob.
74 IQ
I hear Locking tuners and certain nuts can improve sustain, what nuts give the best sustain?
RIP SYD
Member #6 of the "SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4lifeSZ to join.
mutated_riff
UG......ly
492 IQ
Quote by BobFromReboot
I hear Locking tuners and certain nuts can improve sustain, what nuts give the best sustain?

im guessing bone, ivory or metal (brass) they r all super hard substances