Page 1 of 4
Tenacious_dex
Dex
221 IQ
I know the White Stripes are Modern Rock, but I want you Bluesy guys to answer and comment.

Well, as you may know the White Stripes have covered some old Blues songs. And I want to know how you compare these to the originals. If you've not heard the White Stripes versions, can you comment on just the originals please. I just want to know your views.
Here are the songs:
Death Letter (Son House)
St. James Infirmiry Blues
Your Southern Can is Mine (Blind Willie McTell)
Stop Breaking Down (Robert Johnson)

I think all the covers are great, but I'm biased.
Thanks for your comments.
Feel loved: Click here!

Joint President of The White Stripes club! PM Me or Jack_White455 to join this great club!

Ecky thump!
WyldeGibsonPlyr
-
1,932 IQ
I hate the White Stripes, and how they get all that credit for being somewhat bluesy.

Bullshit.
young_is_god
cha-rite
176 IQ
i think they're pretty gd, not a notch on the original reall low donw dirty blues which i love. But bringing the blues to a younger audience, for eg u asking about the original artist, gettin some of their songs, ure friends hear, pass it on again, its all good
keep blues alive
rockinlewis
UG pensioner
272 IQ
Death Letter is the best IMO
originally posted by Shoestick
Holy hell, that is the primest example of a rambling idiot trying to sound intelligent Ive ever seen, and I just sat through four years of Bush!
heartbreaker101
Ivan The Engine Driver
66 IQ
Death Letter is pretty good, especially on the dvd Under Blackpool Lights
Rush Fan Club member # 10
Seinfeld Fan Club member #7
rockinlewis
UG pensioner
272 IQ
Quote by heartbreaker101
Death Letter is pretty good, especially on the dvd Under Blackpool Lights

originally posted by Shoestick
Holy hell, that is the primest example of a rambling idiot trying to sound intelligent Ive ever seen, and I just sat through four years of Bush!
Encore_God
UG Legend
849 IQ
I will continue to sing the Stripes' praises, for they truly are excellent.

Their version of St James Infirmary Blues is pretty haunting. Certainly one of those rare blues covers that have come close to being as potent as the originals.
Encore God & Asomodai- UG JHS Brotherhood

Encore God: fighting UG Zeppelin-centrism since 2002.
RhoadsSRV8290
Junko Partner
193 IQ
Quote by WyldeGibsonPlyr
I hate the White Stripes, and how they get all that credit for being somewhat bluesy.

Bullshit.

Harsh words but I'm sad to say I agree.

After reading a Guitar World interview with Jack White a while back I have decided that I will in no shape or form support the White Stripes. He said some amazingly disrespectful things to many bluesmen.
If everyone liked what I did, I probably wouldn't be playing anything of depth.

—Joshua Redman
StratRat13
eh
425 IQ
Quote by RhoadsSRV8290

After reading a Guitar World interview with Jack White a while back I have decided that I will in no shape or form support the White Stripes. He said some amazingly disrespectful things to many bluesmen.

i didnt read that is there anywhere i can find the article on the internet?
Love in technicolour, sprayed out on walls
Well I've been pounding at the pavement
'Til there's nothing at all
I got my cloak and dagger
In a bar room brawl
See the local loves a fighter
Loves a winner to fall
DorkusMalorkus
Here, Queer, etc.
2,971 IQ
Quote by RhoadsSRV8290

Care to enlighten us?
Encore_God
UG Legend
849 IQ
Quote by DorkusMalorkus
Care to enlighten us?

I second that. I'd be intrigued to find out what was said.

I can't believe people believe everything they read...
Encore God & Asomodai- UG JHS Brotherhood

Encore God: fighting UG Zeppelin-centrism since 2002.
WyldeGibsonPlyr
-
1,932 IQ
^Why wouldn't you believe an interview in a number one guitar magazine? I mean, I agree with you on believing shit, but Guitar World is preety trustable IMO.
SickMetal
I'm But A Wave To...
123 IQ
I believe he's saying that he wants an example before trusting someone on the internet that said White bashed some blues guys, and I agree. I'd like to see the stuff.
WyldeGibsonPlyr
-
1,932 IQ
Oh, that could be true.

Well, I for one dont really care on the interview, I just dislike them period, and I trust Rhoads well too, but I guess I wouldnt mind seeing it.
TNfootballfan62
Mr. Blue
1,943 IQ
I have seen this article as well, but its been a long time, so i dont remember the specifics.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Mack56
mackabre
1,077 IQ
well, i have the article somewhere. i'll find it sometime. anyway, i just wanted to add these to the list:

Lord, Send Me An Angel (Blind Willie McTell) (released as a single in `01)
Boll Weevil (Leadbelly) (done live many times)

Both are pretty good.
RhoadsSRV8290
Junko Partner
193 IQ
He basically said that SRV wasn't anything special and mastering blues was an easy art which is a massive slap-in-the-face and great deal of disrespect to all of the people he calls his heros like Son House for example.

—Joshua Redman
WyldeGibsonPlyr
-
1,932 IQ
Quote by RhoadsSRV8290
He basically said that SRV wasn't anything special

Well, that in itself is hate worthy, ffs. I know SRV can be given too much credit sometime, and sure can be somewhat "overrated", but that comment was totally out of line.
RhoadsSRV8290
Junko Partner
193 IQ
^exactly, just say people tend to ignore others sometimes but that doesnt mean SRV wasn't special.

—Joshua Redman
emg77
UG Newbie
21 IQ
i love the white stripes, but i think their completely untalented, they cant sing, drum or play guitar. but jack white can sure shred on that xzylophone. lol i havent heard any of these blues covers, but i dont know if i like the idea of it
Originally posted by kurush

waffles are the offspring of the devil.
Crzyrckgtrst28
Blues Mafia
10 IQ
^ How can you like a band that you think is terrible? Jack is a DECENT slide guitarist... I've seen them in concert and it wasn't bad. But he's an ass for everything he's said about the blues... I've seen the interview too. He said that the blues is an easy form of music and doesnt take long to master, or somethin along those lines. After i read this, I lost all forms of respect for him in anyway.
UG Blues Mafia
Founding Members: Forklifterer, Steve Cropper, Crzyrckgtrst28, and TNfootballfan62
PM one of us for membership opportunities.

www.ultimateblues.cjb.net
Forumers Needed.
Last edited by Crzyrckgtrst28 at Oct 23, 2005,
skillsmcrobot
Tomfoolery: Season 1
50 IQ
whew.....well you can't get mad at jack from dissing other guys....that just makes him more blues (scrapping fools like jason stollsheimer in a bar)....and son house, who i have nothing but respect and boners for his intense philosophic performances, is also a very rudimentary blues guitarist (truth, that is the truuuth).
And i cant imagine anyone whos seen this man in concert that would still dislike him, were you not entertianed???

He does what he does very well, including lots of covers.
There's a drought at the fountain of youth, and now i'm dehydrating.

-SmcR
Crzyrckgtrst28
Blues Mafia
10 IQ
I said after he said the blues is easy to play, I LOST RESPECT for him. I didn't say after i saw him in concert.
UG Blues Mafia
Founding Members: Forklifterer, Steve Cropper, Crzyrckgtrst28, and TNfootballfan62

Forumers Needed.
jayr123guitar
YOU NEED MORE GUITAR
1,807 IQ
The White Stripes are good, but they're not a blues band. Their strengths lie elsewhere.......
sirpsycho85
selfstyled voice o reason
858 IQ
i don't particularly fault jack for what he said. he's not at all an ignorant person, i think he has respect for the genre of blues, but it is a fairly simple style of music. while anything takes a long time to master, it doesn't take as much time to be influenced by the blues as it does for many other styles. i think the strength of jack's band (and i do think they are excellent) is extending the blues into punk/garage rock. he is an excellent songwriter, and i think one definitely influenced by the blues, whatever he said about it.
"I see my light come shining from the west down to the east
Any day now, any day now I shall be released"

Know any good teachers in NY, especially skilled in teaching ear training? Tell me
Crzyrckgtrst28
Blues Mafia
10 IQ
^ You obviously have no idea what blues is or how to play it
UG Blues Mafia

Forumers Needed.
sirpsycho85
858 IQ
excuse me? did you read my post? i said that it takes a long time to master, merely a short time to be influenced by it.

Know any good teachers in NY, especially skilled in teaching ear training? Tell me
StratRat13
eh
425 IQ
Quote by RhoadsSRV8290
He basically said that SRV wasn't anything special and mastering blues was an easy art which is a massive slap-in-the-face and great deal of disrespect to all of the people he calls his heros like Son House for example.

wow that mother F**ker

wow its been like 3 days since i've visited this part of the forums, it was a long sad 3 days...
In a bar room brawl
Loves a winner to fall
Crzyrckgtrst28
Blues Mafia
10 IQ
^X2 I was talking more about this part of your post

Quote by sirpsycho85
i don't particularly fault jack for what he said. he's not at all an ignorant person, i think he has respect for the genre of blues, but it is a fairly simple style of music. i think the strength of jack's band (and i do think they are excellent) is extending the blues into punk/garage rock. he is an excellent songwriter, and i think one definitely influenced by the blues, whatever he said about it.
UG Blues Mafia

Forumers Needed.
sirpsycho85
858 IQ
why is that? near everything i said in that part was about the white stripes or jack white, not the blues, just because i think they are a good band.

the part i said about the blues was that it's a fairly simple style of music. this is true; doesn't mean its easy to play or to master. it is just quite simplistic in it's structure. to give an analogy, a straightforward sport such as marathon running is simple, but not easy by any stretch.

Crzyrckgtrst28
Blues Mafia
10 IQ
1. How is the blues simple?
2. Jack is in noway influenced by the blues other than slide and the covers
3. He's is extremely ignorant. HE said that the blues is easy, and doesn't take long to master. This makes him VERY ignorant. Because it is the quite the contrary.
4. Blues and punk/garage rock do not mix... in ANY way. And i think quite a few people will agree with me on this.
UG Blues Mafia

Forumers Needed.
StratRat13
eh
425 IQ
Quote by Crzyrckgtrst28
3. He's is extremely ignorant. HE said that the blues is easy, and doesn't take long to master. This makes him VERY ignorant. Because it is the quite the contrary.
4. Blues and punk/garage rock do not mix... in ANY way. And i think quite a few people will agree with me on this.

I second that.
In a bar room brawl
Loves a winner to fall
ridcullylives
UG's McCartney Defender
490 IQ
I would like to agree with Mr. White in one respect.

The blues is easy to play. You get your pentatonics down right, you master bending and vibrato, and ta-da! You can play the blues!! The style of music itself doesn't take as long a time to become proficient at, as, say, neo-classical shred.

However, to think about the blues that way is to completely and utterly miss the point. Music, when you get right down to it, is about expressing emotions and ideas. And the blanker the canvas, the more amazing the painting you can get.
Founder and member #1 of "The Beatles really are the greatest" club...PM me to join.

Quote by Zeus2716

but whatever you do, never, i repeat NEVER masturbate with hot sauce.
forklifterer
Blues is my Business
45 IQ
k first of all Jack White is a Disgrace to Blues and I would not even include him in any category. His guitar playing is absolutley horendous. I think its just a bunch of crappy noise that is hard to tell note from note. Also if he tries to say blues is in his style and then explains that Blues is simple and tries to call himself a master of the blues or say that he mastered the blues is completely wrong. And Encore how could you like this guy you and derigable always say that peopkle doing covers of Son House and the like are a complete disgrace to the original blues men yet when Jack white plays it you love it. Thats something I do not understand

Here is what I do know. yes many novices to the blues think Blues is nothing but I IV V chord progession of simple 12 bar blues. Anyone more then a novice would understand there is way more behind the blues then a simple chord progression. In no other musical art form except for jazz is there more emotion then in blues. I think for someone to try to manipulate blues to a popular music form like punk or garage band is completly disgraceful and unneeded. The blues has done fine with out being popular for over 40 years why would it need to be anything mainstream.
Cmon and Keep happy
DorkusMalorkus
Here, Queer, etc.
2,971 IQ
Quote by Crzyrckgtrst28

Maybe it was simple and easy for him. Besides ease can't be defined at all. It's all opinion.
Crzyrckgtrst28
Blues Mafia
10 IQ
Quote by ridcullylives
I would like to agree with Mr. White in one respect.

The blues is easy to play. You get your pentatonics down right, you master bending and vibrato, and ta-da! You can play the blues!! The style of music itself doesn't take as long a time to become proficient at, as, say, neo-classical shred.

However, to think about the blues that way is to completely and utterly miss the point. Music, when you get right down to it, is about expressing emotions and ideas. And the blanker the canvas, the more amazing the painting you can get.

There's much more to the blues than penatonics bending and vibrato... much more. The raw emotion in the blues alone makes it more difficult than shred imo. Shred...... is just mastering scales and playing them really fast. There is NO emotion in it. Portraying emotion is the hardest thing to do in music. If you don't show emotion there is no music. Which is why i think blues is the greatest genre. And i dispise shred. All imo of course.

Quote by DorkusMalorkus
Maybe it was simple and easy for him. Besides ease can't be defined at all. It's all opinion.

He's doing an awfully bad job at it if he thinks it easy... Maybe he's doing something wrong? Maybe he doesn't have it right? Maybe he's horrible at playing blues. I can say anything is easy, but if I'm not good at it I'm not proving anything. Therefor I don't think Jack is proving anything, because he's horrible at it. There is a FINE line between blues and what he is doing. Listen to Delta blues or Chicago and tell me he knows what he's talking about. Definately not.
UG Blues Mafia

Forumers Needed.
sirpsycho85
858 IQ
Quote by Crzyrckgtrst28

again, simple is not easy. however, structurally blues is surely among the most simple types of music, utilizing only a few chords, and not much in the area of scales either. i don't care that it's simple, i still like it a lot more than many more complex genres, but you can't argue realistically blues isn't a simple form of music (let me say yet AGAIN that doesn't mean it's easy to be good at it).

edit: in some posts above, it was mentioned to listen to delta or chicago blues and see if that sounds anything like the white stripes. of course it doesn't. however, if blues is all about feeling, then it's somewhat ignorant to not count something because it doesn't sound like something already done.

in general, playing with feeling i think should be talked about more carefully. while i can't stand shred either, read an interview with malmsteen and you will realize that he absolutely loves his music and puts his all into every composition and solo. feeling cannot be constrained by how fast/slow you play, etc. i get more out of a coltrane solo from giant steps than a bb king solo, personally. there are so many styles that can be played with feeling.

Last edited by sirpsycho85 at Oct 23, 2005,
ridcullylives
UG's McCartney Defender
490 IQ
Quote by Crzyrckgtrst28
There's much more to the blues than penatonics bending and vibrato... much more. The raw emotion in the blues alone makes it more difficult than shred imo. Shred...... is just mastering scales and playing them really fast. There is NO emotion in it. Portraying emotion is the hardest thing to do in music. If you don't show emotion there is no music. Which is why i think blues is the greatest genre. And i dispise shred. All imo of course.

Dude....did you even read my whole post? Maybe I didn't make it clear enough. I think that the blues is possibly the hardest type of music to play well...you have to translate emotion into music, which is damn near impossible unless you have enough of it. I guarantee nobody on this website is ever going to be a blues master (oh yeah, you might be good, but still)...because your life just hasn't been as absolutely ****ty as Robert Johnson's, or Son House's, or Buddy Guy's....or even Eric Clapton's.

The first paragraph might have been misconstrued. What I meant was that compared to certain other genres of music, it's very easy to learn how to do a blues solo. How to actually be a bluesman (or woman) is damn near impossible.
Founder and member #1 of "The Beatles really are the greatest" club...PM me to join.

Quote by Zeus2716

but whatever you do, never, i repeat NEVER masturbate with hot sauce.
sirpsycho85
858 IQ
allow me a clarifying post of my point that might resolve this argument, although i'm sorry that i'm getting off the topic of the white stripes.

sometimes to help me get someones argument, the most helpful thing is to look at a logical extreme analogy and then bring it back to what we're talking about. imagine two musicians, one playing a triangle and the other a violin. now, far be it from me to hear it, but somebody CAN master a triangle and be more clear, precise, fast, etc with his triangle than somebody starting out. you could always get better. a person who has played it for ten years might be more perfect in his technique, etc, than somebody who has played violin for two. it's just that more people could tell the difference for violin. it is pointless to talk about what's easier, but undeniably triangle is a simpler in that there are far less harmonic and melodic ideas with the triangle, and it's a physically simpler technique. now, bringing improvisation into it, i think that it's very hard to sound good when you're limited to only rhythm and duration of ring like on the triangle, but somebody could be really good. extend this two a two-tone instrument and it's the same thing.

extending it to blues: if i play jazz for five years, i'm certainly playing more complex stuff than bb king. HOWEVER, it's also EASIER to get to my level of jazz playing than it is to get to BB's level of blues playing. complexity of a genre is merely a discription of what you are going to do with the music. how you play it then shows how good you are, and that's regardless of genre.