Page 1 of 5
xdespairfactor
UG Addict
814 IQ
Someone explain to me why there is such a cult following to him?

I just never understood.
stratstrummer40
antennas to heaven
798 IQ
me either. i like him. but hes SO overrated.
yeah his lyrics are pretty good but hes really not all that special.

mike kinsella is sooo much better :P
mogwai777
188 IQ
His lyrics are good, but his voice is obnoxious, idunno, people just love "emotion"
sponj
UG Monkey
1,243 IQ
who's that?
the heart is a risky fuel to burn
Andrewbiles
11,166 IQ
Quote by sponj
who's that?

Bright Eyes & Desaparecidos bloke.
I'm glad people on here are finally realising that he's really not that good. Personally I've never understood why people like him (other than 'the calender hung itself'), I guess some people are just mad.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
jallas
dying is fine
1,802 IQ
I dunno, some people just really liek him, like how Green Day have tons of supporters I guess.
I really like Conor, I know he's not like the greatest guy ever I just relaly like him. Why? I dunno, I like his lyrics, and his voice, and his songs, and stuff.
Quote by Kensai
Maybe you've heard what the ladies say: "Once you go 77mm you don't go back"
Iluvpowerchords
Flau-BEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR
1,364 IQ
Quote by xdespairfactor
Someone explain to me why there is such a cult following to him?

I just never understood.

I really do not like him and fail to see why so many people worship him.

Kinda like Tim Burton
mat3305
B-A-N-N-E-D
893 IQ
i have no idea who that is is he some sort of emo guy? i tend not to like emo.
J. MASCIS IS GOD!

Quote by Arthur Curry
Take E. You'll be a dancing fool in no time.

EDIT: Seriously.
Andrewbiles
11,166 IQ
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
I really do not like him and fail to see why so many people worship him.

Kinda like Tim Burton

There's a display of talent from Tim Burton though

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
slinks
Bastard in a Basket
443 IQ
Eh, he's alright for some acoustic stuff once in a while, and I like his voice. But I'd rather listen to Damien Rice or Iron & Wine any day of the week for my acoustic/ folky needs.
ghettohippygrrl
904 IQ
I can't understand it. I guess because a) his voice quivers due to a lack of vocal ability and b) he wraps his lyrics up in so many frivilous metaphors that even Conor himself probably doesn't know what he's getting at anymore, then c) it all must equal a genius of emotional expression.
A conservative is a man who believes that nothing should be done for the first time. --Alfred E. Wiggam
frd_marshll
i am not your friend
2,264 IQ
really love conor the music and lyrics and great the voice is not that great but it as gotten alot better with time and the use of so many different insterments is great
PunkRawk1224
first bunny in command :)
43 IQ
i like bright eyes and desa quite a bit, but i agree about him being over-rated. oh well, i still like him, i dont care what ghettohippygirl says.
join bunny club!

Asking for "emo/screamo" bands...
Quote by sgwyldechild
Like Underoath, Stutterfly, Atreyu, that kinda stuff. I dont want something too hardcore and ALL screaming like As I lay Dying.

myspace.com/slydogcandtheslickfingers3
public_witness
Banned
190 IQ
what pisses me off more than anything is the dylan comparisons.
dylan wrote political folk, and later he wrote layered allusive imagist poems. oberst writes self obsessed teen angst poems. completely ****ing different leagues.
oberst is not very good at all.
.:bleednomore:.
133 IQ
He is overrated
however i like him
But there are
better people out there then him

i personally love Mike Kinsella
Rabbits?

Quote by Grovermans
why would she suck your dick?

she's not related to you...
Aka55
An ape is loose.
324 IQ
Katie, Conors lyrics are good because they're simple but catchy and not cliché, so you have no idea what you're talking about when you say 'he wraps his lyrics up in so many frivilous metaphors that even Conor himself probably doesn't know what he's getting at anymore'.

Unless you're just really dumb.

You can be like Andrew and just say you don't like him, not constantly attack him because you know **** all about him.

And for those who say he has no talent (Andrew), at least admit that you haven't heard most of his stuff and are basing it on a handfull of songs.

I do agree that he's incredibly overrated, just check out the official Bright Eyes thread to see, but to attack him and say he hasn't got any talent or songwriting ability, that's just false.

The cult following are scenesters. The end.

Bright Eyes is the Taking Back Sunday of Indie.

(Open for arguments)
martyr
627 IQ
I think Conor's a brilliant lyracist. And his style is definetely unique. I don't see why good things can't have a cult following, like The Warriors, The Mars Volta, or Conor Obrest.
Listen to my music here
dougiecrystals
.hot.
374 IQ

I honestly don't know why I like Conor Oberst.

I just do.

I can't say I like him because of his lyrics, or because of his voice or anything, I don't know, I just like it.

Really this goes with all bands, I just simply like the music.

So far, I have most of his stuff, probably the worst song is "Have you Ever Heard of Jandek?" or something like that..

Overrated, meh...I don't know, for every person who says he's a ****ing God, there's a person saying how he's some gay whiney bitch.

There's no in between when it comes to Conor Oberst it seems usually, people just either adore him or despise him.

I loooooooooooove Conor Oberst.

Favourite artist/band at the moment.

Actually, no, at the moment it's Fall of Troy, but...2nd favourite band of the moment.

Last edited by dougiecrystals at Oct 20, 2005,
ghettohippygrrl
904 IQ
Quote by Aka55
Katie, Conors lyrics are good because they're simple but catchy and not cliché, so you have no idea what you're talking about when you say 'he wraps his lyrics up in so many frivilous metaphors that even Conor himself probably doesn't know what he's getting at anymore'.

Unless you're just really dumb.

You can be like Andrew and just say you don't like him, not constantly attack him because you know **** all about him.

And for those who say he has no talent (Andrew), at least admit that you haven't heard most of his stuff and are basing it on a handfull of songs.

Excuse me, do I know you, aka55? I have heard Conor's music, thanks. If I hadn't heard it, I wouldn't be able to say with such certainty that it blows. Conor has used some of the worst metaphors I have ever heard. He goes on and and on with stupid metaphor on top on another until it's a jumbled, foggy mess that makes no sense. He has the occasional clever metaphor but, what do they say... a broken clock is still right twice a day?

Don't be a hyprocrite -- you could be like (pick someone) and say you simply like him, not constantly defend him and dickride him.

I have downloaded tons and tons of his stuff because of legions of devoted, obsessed followers like you. So don't act like you know **** about what I have heard and what I haven't. He has a couple good songs, but the vast majority of what he churns out is garbage. Maybe he should harnass the talent that he does have into making a few good songs rather than groves of mediocre songs.

I know it's hard for you to believe that someone has actually heard his music and doesn't think Conor is a god. Well, believe it. It's obvious that most of his stuff is half-assed, medicore, same-sounding, pretentious dribble. Unless you're just really dumb.
A conservative is a man who believes that nothing should be done for the first time. --Alfred E. Wiggam
Aka55
An ape is loose.
324 IQ
Please give me an example of a song that he writes complicated and overly metaphorical lyrics. Half the kids on this board write things more complicated than his stuff.

I'm not telling you to like him, I'm just saying that half of the posts I've seen you make are of you bashing him about the same unproved ****. You think he's pretentious? Ok, that's your opinion, that's why you don't like him. He can't be a lesser musician because you believe he's pretentious. He's lesser of a musician because he writes most of his stuff in the same key, not because you think he's a phony. But then again, writing 50 songs in one key and still making most of them sound distinguishable is a pretty massive feat.

I already said why I liked him, his lyrics are simple but not cliché, and even when they are in some songs when taken out of context (First day of my life, Lua), he pulls it off.

I can see why you don't like him, and I never attacked you for that. I attacked you because you go on and on and on trying to make people stop listening to him and debate about his talent. Drop it, you won't change anyones mind just like I won't change anyones mind. I'm not trying to convert anybody, just to defend someone that clearly shouldn't be attacked.

You don't like him, you don't like him, I don't care. Just stop thinking you're the queen of talent rating and telling people the music they like sucks. You're worse than the 'metal' and 'punk' kids that come into the Emo forum to say Emo sucks because emo kids cry and cut themselves. Please.

This is an overlap of what I wanted to yell at you about from the ONLY Bright Eyes Thread. I don't like green day, you don't see me constantly posting there...

P.S. This is the first time I defend Bright Eyes this profusely, so don't think you know me.
ghettohippygrrl
904 IQ
You know what? Why don't you drop it? Everyone is allowed to state their opinion unless it's me saying Conor blows, then you whine like a little ****ing baby. Unproved ****? Listen to his songs. All you hear when you listen to Conor are hearts and puppies, so I wouldn't expect you to hear what anyone else would. If I did actually waste my time and give you glaring examples, you wouldn't hear of it. And quite frankly, I don't care if you agree with me or not. Yet you obviously care if I agree with you as demonstrated by your unrelenting need to berate me over this.

"I can see why you don't like him, and I never attacked you for that. I attacked you because you go on and on and on trying to make people stop listening to him and debate about his talent." -- Well, the problem with that sentence is that you attack me at all. I had never attacked you, all I had done was stated my opinion on Conor ****ing Oberst and you take it as a personal massacre against you. Grow up.

"Just stop thinking you're the queen of talent rating and telling people the music they like sucks." -- What does that even mean? Last time I checked, the entire function of message boards was to talk about your personal opinions on things. I'm not the only one doing this. Look at any artist thread and you seen people praising and condemning artists. GASP!!! That's what I'm doing too. I've seen you insult the music other people like too. You're such a hypocritical douche-bag.

I never said Conor had no talent whatsoever, you tool. I suggest you go back and re-read my posts because reading comprehension obviously isn't your strong point. But most of his songs aren't distinguishable, as any objective first-time listener would note. And the songs that are, Conor owes a thank you to his producers.

Conor's pretension lets him release utter crap and feel great about it when brainwashed little minions like you eat it up and react in horror that someone else sees through it. I'm sure Conor will collect your blowjob you have waiting for him if he sees you.

Way to reinforce the whiny emo stereotype... you're like a toddler. "Boo hoo, Katie is insulting Bright Eyes. I must defend Conor's honor and discredit her opinion by calling her dumb!! I can't handle that someone isn't on Conor's jock."

You're not even talking about Conor's music anymore or the fact that you like him. Now it's turned into this retarded little argument about the injustice of me pointing out how hard the vast majority of his music sucks. Get over yourself, and get over me.

P.S. Conor = poop.
stratstrummer40
antennas to heaven
798 IQ
Quote by ghettohippygrrl
the vast majority of what he churns out is garbage. Maybe he should harnass the talent that he does have into making a few good songs rather than groves of mediocre songs.

I completely agree with that statement. I dont mean to get the middle of your little "arguement", Im just saying that is true.
Mack56
mackabre
1,078 IQ
Quote by ghettohippygrrl
Way to reinforce the whiny emo stereotype... you're like a toddler. "Boo hoo, Katie is insulting Bright Eyes. I must defend Conor's honor and discredit her opinion by calling her dumb!! I can't handle that someone isn't on Conor's jock."

Not to be mean or anything. Katie do you ever go back and read stuff like this when you type it? You do realize that you sound like a total bitch when you say things like that, right?

Now, i do think Conor is overrated, but saying that the producer is responsible for all of his good song? that's saying he has no talent. I don't care who you're talking about, that's one of the meanest and cruelest things you could say about any artist. I'm not trying to get into an argument or anything, just wanted to say that.
ghettohippygrrl
904 IQ
Quote by Mack56
Not to be mean or anything. Katie do you ever go back and read stuff like this when you type it? You do realize that you sound like a total bitch when you say things like that, right?

Now, i do think Conor is overrated, but saying that the producer is responsible for all of his good song? that's saying he has no talent. I don't care who you're talking about, that's one of the meanest and cruelest things you could say about any artist. I'm not trying to get into an argument or anything, just wanted to say that.

Of course I sound like a bitch, I only took on that tone after I was called "really dumb." Aka55 is the biggest bitch in the thread as far as I can see, and I was pointing that out. The outrage, tantrums, and attacks of intelligence over someone disagreeing with your musical tastes is downright juvenile. And he admitted he wanted to say this to me since weeks ago... wow. I stand by my statement that he sounds like a toddler.

And I don't care if you think I was "mean" or "cruel" to Conor, Mack, because it's the truth. Go listen to the **** Conor released before he had help with production. I rest my case.
Last edited by ghettohippygrrl at Oct 21, 2005,
stellar_legs
semen bath.
4,744 IQ
Quote by nulre
Well, his fans probably like his music.

But I think it's his behavior that creates the erhm cult. He has charisma, you can't deny that. The mysterious image appeals to many people.

I think he has an awful personality. he's always shouting insults at crowds. He told a texas audience that "I would rather kill myself than live in your ****ing state."

And personally, I think his lyrics are weak. They're very simple and cliched alot of the times. Do I hate him? No, not at all. I love some of his songs alot. But I do think he's a big douche bag.
Poor advice.
dougiecrystals
.hot.
374 IQ

*Reads thread*

Annnnnnnnnywus, crap, what was i gonna say..

Oh right, apparently, as soon as Oberst gets done with his tour or whatever, it's rumoured he's gonna go do the vocals for the new Desaparecidos album, "Payola" or something like that and put it out.
Apperantly it's all done except for Oberst's vocals.

I don't know, I read this awhile ago, it's probably old news..oh well, I love Desaparecidos.

Andrewbiles
11,166 IQ
Quote by dougiecrystals

*Reads thread*

Annnnnnnnnywus, crap, what was i gonna say..

Oh right, apparently, as soon as Oberst gets done with his tour or whatever, it's rumoured he's gonna go do the vocals for the new Desaparecidos album, "Payola" or something like that and put it out.
Apperantly it's all done except for Oberst's vocals.

I don't know, I read this awhile ago, it's probably old news..oh well, I love Desaparecidos.

That's good news I guess, but they should get someone else to sing for them now because I can just see it being aimed at a completely different audience now Conor has gained his popularity. We'll just have to wait and see though.

RateYourMusic
MattDaviesFFAF
Secretly Ironic
228 IQ
Cool, new Desa.

Anyways, I love bright Eyes. I love every track I've heard by Conor (though I haven't heard a Collection yet) all his Desa, Bright Eyes and Commander Venus stuff. It just hits the spot. It gets me depressed that I'm 15 and haven't done anything like he had.

I don't know why I like him.

I think that maybe I just like to hear him scream.
Because light strikes a deal with each coming night.
Abe
Come Here and Say That...
1,563 IQ
I don't like him either, his voice and phrashing (forgive me, Bright Eyes fans) just sounds so fake.
MattDaviesFFAF
Secretly Ironic
228 IQ
^He's pretty much always drunk.....

P.S. put the / in your end quote thing.....

Not trying to be rude btw.
pumpkins_rule
UG's Rap crusader
1,404 IQ
I love Bright Eyes. It is pretty simple music, but it's still really good. And not all of his lyrics are great. but in my opinion alot of his one liners are really good. My personal favourite is:

"There's kids playing guns in the street. And one's pointing his tree branch at me. I put my hands up, say enough is enough. If you walk away I'll walk away. And he shot me dead..."
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

Aka55
An ape is loose.
324 IQ
I think that he's overrated by his fans but is overly critisized by the people who don't listen to him.

I like his voice, song structures and how he puts his all into most of his songs.

The end.

MattDaviesFFAF
Secretly Ironic
228 IQ
Quote by pumpkins_rule
I love Bright Eyes. It is pretty simple music, but it's still really good. And not all of his lyrics are great. but in my opinion alot of his one liners are really good. My personal favourite is:

"There's kids playing guns in the street. And one's pointing his tree branch at me. I put my hands up, say enough is enough. If you walk away I'll walk away. And he shot me dead..."

I do so love that bit.

Actually, I love that whole song.

Actually I love that whole album.

And all of Conor's stuff.

Yay!
ghettohippygrrl
904 IQ
Quote by Aka55

! That is rich. You missed the chance to be the bigger person when you called me dumb and attacked me personally for saying I don't like Conor (my opinion, not an attempt to "prove" anything, smarty.) And don't lie, I never argued about Conor for pages upon pages, you tool. The only person obsessed with him here is you -- you want to give me guidelines about what I can and can't say about him? Don't hold your breath.

My favorite part about all of this is that you say this...
Quote by aka55
You don't like him, you don't like him, I don't care.
And then it's followed by a page worth of why you care.

Anyway, on topic:
Conor sucks ass because I like to listen to people whose lyrics are actually sincere and stem from true feelings and events, not stuff made-up to sound "good." Conor is the fakest fakey that ever faked. Oh, and most of his songs are crap and he can't sing. Other than those things, he's not bad.
dougiecrystals
.hot.
374 IQ
Quote by andrewbiles
That's good news I guess, but they should get someone else to sing for them now because I can just see it being aimed at a completely different audience now Conor has gained his popularity. We'll just have to wait and see though.

I see what you're saying but I don't know....

It's not like you'll be hearing Desapericidos on your radio or #1 on TRL or anything, so most of the fans who just got to liking Bright Eyes because of "First Day of My Life" won't probably ever hear the Desapercidos stuff. And for the majority of the fans who have heard most of Conor's music, well I take it they've probably at least know about Desapercidos and will probably enjoy it as much as they did the first album.

Anywus, I was thinking this the other day, if Conor had like...a nice soft Emo-pop voice, I really doubt he'd get the recongnition he's gotten.
But then again, he'd be radio-friendly I don't know.

Plus, the Calander that Hung Itself would not be as awesome as it is.

And a number of other songs.

But when it comes straight down to it, Conor Oberst is great. His voice has a unique quality. I personally enjoy relating to his either subtle or candid self-deprciation in all his songs.

Ahem...

Last edited by dougiecrystals at Oct 22, 2005,
ghettohippygrrl
904 IQ
Quote by dougiecrystals
But when it comes straight down to it, Conor Oberst is great. His voice has a unique quality. I personally enjoy relating to his either subtle or candid self-deprciation in all his songs.
Oooh, witty... well, not really. Because any self-deprecation he does offer in his music is insincere because it's overshadowed by his heir of complete arrogance and self-satisfaction. Which, again, is why he let's himself churn out utter crap.

Elliott Smith's lyrics aren't fake even in the slightest. Conor is completely fake. And when referring to Conor, a "unique quality" in his voice simply means the guy sucks at singing. Elliott Smith can sing. But thank you for memorizing my posts from other threads, I'm flattered.
martyr
627 IQ
Quote by ghettohippygrrl
Conor is completely fake. And when referring to Conor, a "unique quality" in his voice simply means the guy sucks at singing.

I love how 'passion' and 'emotion' have become 'fake' and 'suck'.
Listen to my music here
Slut
Can't Stop The Signal
1,831 IQ
God forbid she have an opinion.
Quote by noxiosimitator
I play guitar long then half the people here .. and I suck double as much

EDIT: on the guitar
EDIT EDIT: in playing with my guitar
EDIT EDIT EDIT: I give up