Page 1 of 2
...or are they a waste of time? im only asking becuase im going to music live this week (were i can get one cheaper than usual). I love the tone they give and the sound, but are there many song that i could play with it or would it just be a waste of money?

Thanks,
Ash <\,,/
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
i would love to own a 12 string,there are songs you can play with it,but use it to make your own is better.
I only want a cheap one, ill probably get a Vintage one. They retail at about £140 GPB i think. Its a bargain at that price if you ask me
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
you can play any song you like on it, so long as it doesnt have bends on and such. theyre fantastic for chord work, but MOST fingerpicking sounds a bit crowded. they really come out when chords are played with a 6 string over the top i think. check out the Pulse version of Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd. youll see what i mean.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
Quote by ohspyro89
Any version of Wish You Were Here has the 12 string behind it. Its simply amazing. They played it at live 8, there are some videos floating around.

Ive allways wanted a 12 string, but i never seem to have any money...

the studio version doesnt have the 12 string in the intro, just the tele and David's acoustic. i think.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

if you have the chance for a 12-string, take it!!!. i posted a thread like this a month or two back, basically the advantages of a 12-string. i wish to God i had bought one, but didn't. in short, they are great for chord work, and can make for a realyl sick sounding song if used properly. they are great to fool around with for fills and such ( a kid in a jam band i am in is always messing with his 12-string). yea, if you can get a 12-string, it is definately worth the money. i also have a thread floating around here 'amazing 12-strings' or something like that. it has some links to some pretty sweet looking guitars. if your serious about buying, you should check it out.

have you ever heard what SRV could do with an acoustic 12-string? It would surprise some of you I'm sure. I have one, but I woudn;t want it to be my first or only guitar.
i wonder what playing with a slide would sound like on a 12 string... hmmmm.....
Please vote for my band in a demo competition by clicking
here, pressing the button that says "Gi din stemme" and then connecting to facebook! Thanks a lot!
^ i thought 12 strings have 6 metal strings and 6 nylon strings?
Psycho Killer,
Qu'est-ce que c'est?
Fa fa fa faa fa fa fa fa-fa faa

Quote by Paul Brannigan
Pie is like bread, but just with more pie in it
I've got a really old Framus 12 string at home, it's a piece of crap to look at, but I LOVE the way that it sounds! Even for a piece of crap songs sound great on it!
...insert something witty here...
Quote by sandwich_man
^ i thought 12 strings have 6 metal strings and 6 nylon strings?

nope. some may do, and the only reference ive heard to one is the one Kurt Cobain used in "Polly". they usually just steel strings.

Quote by Scorzerci
i wonder what playing with a slide would sound like on a 12 string... hmmmm.....

I've tried playing slide on a 12 string and it sounded pretty terrible to me. But then that could also be because I'm not much of a slide player.
Like everyone says, They sometimes don't sound right when you play arpeggios or something along those lines with it. But if you are really good at it then you should be able to play very well using them. Listen to some Tantric. Some of their songs use a 12 string and they sound great.
Quote by Rhinosaur Bones
I've tried playing slide on a 12 string and it sounded pretty terrible to me. But then that could also be because I'm not much of a slide player.

IIRC, Vaseline Machine Gun by Leo Kottke is on a 12 string, and it has loads of slide and sounds fantastic.

Think it's worth having one....

I watched GNR live in tokyo
Slash used his double neck guitar in patience....
He uses the 12 strings in the end of the song.... Great sound....
yeah get a 12 string they're out a sight. even when your strings are old, toneless and on the verge of bustin they sound AMAZING! can't bend to good with them, as said above a long way up, but they have this amazing sound, it sounds other worldy almost. i got a seagul for cheap on sale, i don't know what the quality of this is in comparrison to others but it seems fine to me, lovely sound. have i mentioned that?
Quote by Calum_Barrow
IIRC, Vaseline Machine Gun by Leo Kottke is on a 12 string, and it has loads of slide and sounds fantastic.

Eh, well, this was with an old set of strings. Everytime I moved the slide it made a horrible sound like nails on a chalkboard.
i'd say that you should get a 12 if you wanted to boost your chord work. they sound so much fuller in a sense, and a good-quality 12-string is a joy to play.
Psycho Killer,
Qu'est-ce que c'est?
Fa fa fa faa fa fa fa fa-fa faa

Quote by Paul Brannigan
Pie is like bread, but just with more pie in it
If you have money you don't need you buy yourself a 12 strings so you can play to your girlfriend... or gimme the money ill handle it jsut fine .
need to do more practice :/
Quote by NSN
If you have money you don't need you buy yourself a 12 strings so you can play to your girlfriend... or gimme the money ill handle it jsut fine .

I think thats missing out on the romance of serenading your gf though. LOL

I think 12-strings are great, mainly because you can use them as backup for just about anything. Like, you're jamming with a friend who has an acoustic, out comes the ol 12-string. Most slow songs (and lots of faster ones) on electric go great with...a 12-string. You're getting together with your friend who's a bassist...you guessed it...enter the 12 string. For me, asking if getting a 12-string is worthwhile is like being one of those kids in school halls with the pansy coloured ukelele's asking if its worthwhile in upgrading to a real guitar.

The Addict
Quote by froberg
well, isn't the fact that you cant play good charlotte or linking park the main reason for why you should buy an acoustic?

Quote by Calum_Barrow
the studio version doesnt have the 12 string in the intro, just the tele and David's acoustic. i think.

Nope. The album version actually does have a 12 in it.

12-strings sound pretty incredible generally, a couple notes (heh) though:
Fingerpicking will be quite difficult when you start; you'll find yourself hitting only the harmonic strings or only the main strings quite often, but you soon get the hang of it. Also, because of the high tension associated with having 6 extra strings tacked on, many people prefer to use their 12s for open tunings. Again, though, if you can get the hang of it, it's a pretty fantastic sound. I say go for it.
dude if you got extr money go buy yourself 12string... you can only play chords.. its defently should be an extra guitar not ur primary
need to do more practice :/
Actually, there are tons of songs out there with some great picking, arpeggios, and I'm sure there are some soloing ones out there.

The Addict
Quote by froberg
well, isn't the fact that you cant play good charlotte or linking park the main reason for why you should buy an acoustic?

I personally love 12 strings, If you want some good 12 string songs download any Genesis Song between 72 and 76, It usually includes 12 strings in the songs. Suppers ready has 3 12 strings at once during the intro.

They sound brilliant when tuned to C.
Rob
Pedulla MVP5
Gibson Grabber
Warmoth Antigua PJ
Ovation Magnum 1
I have a 12 string electric, changing strings is a nightmare, , I like mine, but i often don't need the extra 6, i'd say stay with the standard 6 string-ers
Gear
Custom Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Acoustic
VK 112
Epi VJ
EHX Holy Grail
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Modded Tubescreamer TS7 -> TS-808
Strat Knockoff
Quote by Flyingwhitey182
I have a 12 string electric, changing strings is a nightmare, , I like mine, but i often don't need the extra 6, i'd say stay with the standard 6 string-ers

You "don't need the extra six'? Are you talking about a double-neck guitar? I think the 12-string he's talking about is one with 6 harmonic strings tuned to the same note or an octave above, each positioned next to its counterpart. One of us is very confused.
12-Stings are great. I have a cheap Yamaha but it sounds really good. I play it everyday (even though I have 2 electrics and a bass, too).

Many people think you can only play chords on it, but I love praticing Jazz soloing and Rock (picking) stuff too. Sounds great for stuff like Pink Floyd, Radiohead, The Cure, etc.

It is harder, but if you get good at it, I've noticed when you go back to 6-String, your technique has gotten much better. I guess always practicing on a difficult instrument makes others seem easier.
Quote by Variable
You "don't need the extra six'? Are you talking about a double-neck guitar? I think the 12-string he's talking about is one with 6 harmonic strings tuned to the same note or an octave above, each positioned next to its counterpart. One of us is very confused.

I'm pretty sure you're the confused one. He means that sometimes you don't need to have that extra sound that comes with the second set of strings. Dig?
replacing strings is a pain

Forum Archives / About / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2006