Page 2 of 2
Quote by cokeisbetter
A few days ago, I was at the House of Guitars(only the coolest guitar store ever), and I tried out a 12 stringer. It was ever so slightly out of tune, so it had this cool swirling effect when I played. It was heaven on earth.

That "swirly effect" is natural phasing, and it'll happen whether it's in tune or not when you're playing chords. The intonation is never going to be perfect on a 12 (more often than not anyway) and since there are twice as many strings to go out of tune it'll phase more than a 6 string. Can't explain it really. Anyway, they have a fantastic sound.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
I own a fender 12 string its the shizzle.
I had my hands in the river,
My feet back up on the bank,
Looked up to the Lord above and said,
"Hey man, Thanks"

Dr. Spinnerbait of the UG Fishermans Club. PM Joe-Fish to join.
Personally, I'd love to have a 12 string in my lineup. They offer sounds that 6 strings obviously can't. It's good to have just in case you want to add something to a song or simply just to play a song that requires a 12 string.

Even if you don't think you're going to use it much, I'd personally recommend getting one anyway. There's some cheap ones out there that can be used if you somehow end up needing one. Musician's friend has a section for them online.
12-strings also make for great hand-strengtheners, too. Once you can do barre chords on a 12, you can do them easily on any 6.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
my friend has written a ton of amazing songs on his 12 string.
when I get some extra money, I'm probably going to get one myself. They produce such an awesome sound
It depends on how often you intend to use it.
Bottom line: If you want/need that 12 string sound, NOTHING else will do.
1/2 my brain tied behind my back, just to make it fair.
I'd recommend getting one and putting light strings on it, and also drop the tuning down 1 or 2 steps. This will relieve tension on the neck and bridge, giving the guitar a longer life, and you can use a capo when playing stuff at concert pitch...

john
^^^Or you can just buy a Rainsong 12 string and leave the thing in standard tuning. Rainsongs can take someone standing on the neck and have no problem at all. The toughest guitars ever built.
Quote by bricktopra3
I'd recommend getting one and putting light strings on it, and also drop the tuning down 1 or 2 steps. This will relieve tension on the neck and bridge, giving the guitar a longer life, and you can use a capo when playing stuff at concert pitch...

john

That is what I do with my vintage Hohner 12 string; I tune it down a step. It doesn't sound as good when using a capo, as the strings don't ring out as well, but it still sounds good.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
Quote by Rhinosaur Bones
Worst thread revival ever.

agreed, this thread is from a year ago.
Page 2 of 2