Page 1 of 2
STRAT811
Commander Cool
1,253 IQ
I guess these guys would be in here. Theyre not welcome in the metal/nu metal forums so being an amazing metalcore band, I wondered if anyone liked em.

Their latest CD The War Within is great. I haven't heard of their old stuff though. Jon Donias is a really good guitar player as far as speed goes, there isn't a whole lot of feeling in his solos but in this genre it is ok.

So if anyone loves/hates/likes them then lets discuss.
Call me Steve. All the cool kids are doin it.
Quote by crazynickman

Step One: Wake up in the LATE AFTERNOON
Step Two: Roll around in garbage and lyrical genius
Instant Bob Dylan.
Combat
87 IQ
OH OH I hate them. i think their solos suck for the most part and their song structure is so retarded because their intros dont go with the songs at all. i personally dont think theyre metalcore because they dont sound like it.
tinblimp9340
Mosh It Up
199 IQ
You would get more replies If this were in the metal forum.
Not my cup of tea.
Quote by i'm a noob
is there a website with the location of dealers? i mean, i want to try weed for the first time, but none of my friends do it or anything, and i don't know where to get it. For safety purposes you might want to PM me.
Combat
87 IQ
yeah he would get more flaming.. theyre not metal either,even though theyre closer to that them metalcore
LedZeppelin
2,316 IQ
The Art Of Balance kicks the shit out of War Within. It's a lot more diverse and has better solos and arrangements in general. War Within was kind of their Black Album- they're coming close to selling out. Art of Balance is their Master of Puppets (classic) and Of One Blood is their Kill 'Em All (iffy recording, not very diverse).
Quote by HuckIt
My weirdest dream would have to be when I dreamed that I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...that was pretty screwed up.
stratstrummer40
antennas to heaven
798 IQ
^^ no no guys you got it all wrong.

theyre not classified as metal, metalcore OR hardcore.

theyre classified as horrible. yeah im pretty sure thats it.
burn_the_lamb_
UG Newbie
183 IQ
shadows fall kicks your ass. war within wasnt their greatest but it had some pretty decent songs. enlightened by the cold, stillness, powere of i and i, and those who cannot speak are some pretty badass songs....but still none as good as deadworld
funkmasterswede
109 IQ
I personally never saw anything good about this band; very mediocre to below average in my mind. And yeah i must agree with their classification as horrible not metal, metalcore or hardcore.
Last edited by funkmasterswede at Nov 3, 2005,
Gomorrah
Dissertation 14
577 IQ
I used to be upsessed with this band. I got The Art Of Balance autographed by everyone in the band.
Quote by JobForACowboy
um, yes it is.

sry if you havent heard of it, death metal bands that wear girl jeans = emodeath
)Eric(Draven
I been around a minute
916 IQ
My friend's pretty into them, I play their stuff here and there just so he and I have something to play, but other than that I"m not really into them. It's just boring.
I play guitar
slashwyldepage
UG's Opinionated Asshole
359 IQ
theyre kind of not fun to listen to.

whenever finish listening to them i feel dirty, like i just did roof construction or something.
Quote by fronkpies
Just search "japanese chicks with big fat dicks" on google and you'll see.
bat69420
Banned
258 IQ
Shadows fall is great. fire in babylon ranks high on my to 10 list. The war w/in was kind of monotonous, still good though.
Kutless
hXc forever
39 IQ
I lik 'em
Let's break out the shotguns, we're going to town
Combat
87 IQ
i think one of their biggest downfalls is their new vox. along with other things, but thats one of the main reasons.
benchiefjr
UG's Metalcore Guitarist
217 IQ
Yeah, Brian Fair I can stand somewhat on The Art of Balance, but their new cd IMO is trash save for a few songs. He also can't sing/scream worth a **** live...or so i've seen. Also, they've got a DVD coming out the 15th, i'm going to get it only because i've been waiting forever for it.
Steel instruments shine in
A lively light of green substance
Dead or alive
Bodies and souls are waiting for the contact with these macabre tools
They are only creations made alive
LedZeppelin
2,316 IQ
Brian isn't awful. His lyrics are pretty bad but his scream is very good. Reminds me of Behemoth because of the sheer power of it. But he kind of sucks at singing and ends up reminding me of the singer of Korn, which is not a good thing.
metallicafan180
Death Magnetic
395 IQ
Shadows Fall is great! The War Within is my favorite CD from 'em so far.
Ibanez VBT700 V-Blade
Ibanez RG220B
Dean Vendetta 1.0
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech XMM Metal Master
Digitech RP80 Multi Effects
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
shadows666
Do the Toxic Waltz
281 IQ
Quote by STRAT811
I guess these guys would be in here. Theyre not welcome in the metal/nu metal forums so being an amazing metalcore band, I wondered if anyone liked em.

Their latest CD The War Within is great. I haven't heard of their old stuff though. Jon Donias is a really good guitar player as far as speed goes, there isn't a whole lot of feeling in his solos but in this genre it is ok.

*shakes head and sighs* Listen to the solo on "Stepping Outside the Circle" off of The Art of Balance and tell me that there's no feeling in it.
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
So if balding people are the devil, your grandpa is satan's right hand man? Apparantly, the older we get, the more kvlt we are.

Founder of the Del tha funky homosapien club. pm me to join
shadows666
Do the Toxic Waltz
281 IQ
Quote by tinblimp9340
You would get more replies If this were in the metal forum.
Not my cup of tea.

Only if you count getting the sh*t flamed out of you as a reply, then yeah, you would be right.
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
So if balding people are the devil, your grandpa is satan's right hand man? Apparantly, the older we get, the more kvlt we are.

Founder of the Del tha funky homosapien club. pm me to join
lp_dude_2
Music=Life
4,103 IQ
i ****ing love Shadows Fall. ever since i heard the song "thoughts without words" off the art of balance cd, theyve been one of my favorite bands. i really like war within but i think art of balance is better. and matt bachand is like my idol. he plays rythem, has a custom made Ibanez SZ, and i cant wait until my hair is long like his.
slayerbizkit
442 IQ
Quote by Combat
OH OH I hate them. i think their solos suck for the most part and their song structure is so retarded because their intros dont go with the songs at all. i personally dont think theyre metalcore because they dont sound like it.

Man, you are out of you mind. If anything, Shadows Fall has The Best solos out of all metalcore bands.
STRAT811
Commander Cool
1,253 IQ
i wouldn't go that far... but donias sure has chops
Call me Steve. All the cool kids are doin it.
Quote by crazynickman

Step One: Wake up in the LATE AFTERNOON
Step Two: Roll around in garbage and lyrical genius
Instant Bob Dylan.
Bloodletting77
Banned
224 IQ
i like them. they get somewhat boring after a while, but when you listen to them after not listening to them for a long time, it sounds good.
Green_Fox
bang!
71 IQ
never really got into them. they dont appeal to me that much. never really got interested in them
The trouble with nude dancing is that not everything stops moving when the music does.

Last.fm
dazedandconfusd
Man-erg
40 IQ
I respect their guitarists, but the vocals really turned me off of ths band. I was never one for hardcore-ish vocals
hXcMacbeth3
256 IQ
cheesy...and vocalist makes me sick
Originally posted by thestrumbum
the scream is so powerfull. my balls started two steppin.
PenCapChew
lawlz
130 IQ
I love them.
My favorite CD is the Art of Balance.
Member of the Big Muff Club, PM sonicyouthsaves to join.

Quote by whyvern
I <3 Relient K and Christian Punx!

Up da jesus!!!!
Butterknife
UG's Canadian Dreadhead
123 IQ
I really like Shadows fall. I don't like it how they're classified as metalcore though, they don't sound like a hardcore band at all. I really like Brian as a singer as well, he has such power in his screaming.
Tomorrow never knows what it dosen't know too soon
ChurchNSkate
UG's JS/Laney/Carvin user
407 IQ
They were one of my first metalcore bands (and one of my favorites) before I got off metalcore. Their guitarists definately have chops, I give them that. Pretty decent riffs and not bad solos either.
They're NOT metal though. You would get flamed like no other forum for putting a SF thread in there.

Hey guys! I just started playing electric guitar should I get a Gabson Lay Pall or a Femdor Startokaster. I like the picks on the gabsons but i like how sweet femdors look. Beforre i get a gabson what company makes them?
Butterknife
UG's Canadian Dreadhead
123 IQ
/\/\/\ One question though, in all seriousness and in looking for a well explained answer, How are they not metal?
Tomorrow never knows what it dosen't know too soon
LedZeppelin
2,316 IQ
*sigh*... they have clean passages and have gotten very poppy on The War Within. Example: What Drives The Weak, basically a pop song. And they ripped the riffs off of Thoughts Without Words, evidence that they're having trouble coming up with new material.

They have very hardcore lyrics about pain, rising up, rebellion, etc. And the vocals are not anywhere near metal.

They're closer to metal than metalcore but very much in the middle. And they've pretty much sold out with The War Within. If they were metal they'd be melodeath, but listen to Arch Enemy then Shadows Fall...the AE arrangements are much more varied and complex. It's hard to explain but if you listen to a lot of real metal you would see it much more clearly. It's like when people ask why LoG isn't metal, they just aren't, end of story.
ending_credits
Banned
10 IQ
Quote by stratstrummer40
^^ no no guys you got it all wrong.

theyre not classified as metal, metalcore OR hardcore.

theyre classified as horrible. yeah im pretty sure thats it.

just because they are more talented that every band you listen to does no make them horrible. I do not think they belong in this forum, I dont understand why most of the people in the metal forum hate them. They are not hardcore or metalcore, they are too good for that classification!
Jack3n665.5
221 IQ
Shadows Fall is one of my favorite bands. I like em a lot and war within was pretty good. They are kind of soft, but there fun to listen to. Their music has a lot of energy in their recording, and although I find War Within hard to listen to continously its a good albulm.
Guitarbill387
UG Newbie
11 IQ
I am from Westfield Mass., home of Killswitch Engage and neighboring city to Springfield, home of Shadows Fall. I got into metalcore through Joel from KSE so I started listening to Shadows Fall too since there all friends and everyone's all 'you gotta listen to them'. So for the past few years I was a Shadows Fall fan, I loved there albums, but this summer I finally made it to Ozzfest, twice. I was exited to see them live but was very disappointed at there performance. I'm still not sure what it was lacking but at both shows (Boston and Hartford) the overall sound and feel of the band just wasn't good. I am no longer a fan of them, I loved there studio album but if you cant recreate that onstage then honestly the album is fake. I can see doing a few crazy songs on an album made to be musical masterpieces but you don't play songs like that live, you need to be able to play the material you right and be able to make it sound good and get the vibe going, you know what I'm saying? Everyone around here loves them still, even after admitting that they sucked at Ozzfest, just because you see they guys at the mall doesn't mean you need to worship them.

Yea, so there it is, my Shadows Fall rant, used to love them, don't care about them anymore. Take it or leave it. Rock on.
-Bill Curran

Check out my band:
The Voodoo Brothers
Psychedellic Voodoo Blues from Western Mass.
shai_savant
212 IQ
yeah werent good at ozzfest...but then again the only good bands at ozzfest were maiden and sabbath because the ozzfest crew didnt make the sound sound good until those bands came on
How can I keep Stability
On such shaky ground?
Prayers that a smile will flag me down.
CSguitarvocal
BlackMetal n00b
742 IQ
Quote by LedZeppelin
The Art Of Balance kicks the shit out of War Within. It's a lot more diverse and has better solos and arrangements in general. War Within was kind of their Black Album- they're coming close to selling out. Art of Balance is their Master of Puppets (classic) and Of One Blood is their Kill 'Em All (iffy recording, not very diverse).

Art of Balance > War Within

Somber Eyes to the Sky > All

Quote by zachbino57
CSguitarvocal is correct as usual, pepsi tastes much better out of a can.

Quote by TWISTEDFender
And CSguitarvocal for teh win.
beaster_bcrich
10 IQ
Quote by STRAT811

Hey, i am new at this, so if i do anything wrong, don't get to mad at me.
I just wanted to say that i love Shadows Fall. From the moment i heard The Light That Blinds (first Shadows Fall song i heard), i was just hooked. From then i became almost obcessed, (but i still don't have a t-shirt). I am now learning The Light That Blinds, and it is NOT an easy song (praise to Matt Bachand and other great death metal gitarists). I also really like Arch Enemy and Kill Switch Engage, but Shadows Fall is still at the top of my list.
beaster_bcrich
10 IQ
Hey, I also really like Children of Bodom. i just love metal with a good keyboard.