Page 3 of 83
Meshuggah is a pretty cool band. But, I don't like anything under Nothing. Their older material is just boring.
LET THE DEAD EAT THE DEAD
Quote by xfactor
Meshuggah is a pretty cool band. But, I don't like anything under Nothing. Their older material is just boring.

Hmmm...strange position to take.
What does everyone think of Contradictions Collapse? One of their more underrated albums, imo.
My Last.FM page. Add me!

Quote by severed-metal
I frequent so many big dick forums it's ridiculous

PSN name: sixty5days
Quote by necrowizard
not the best stuff to listen to while you are driving however, you tend to speed......alot. and get insane roadrage.

I've noticed. Somehow their music makes you really aggressive. I like it

btw, whoever said meshuggah is crazy, the name actually is hebrew/yiddish for crazy
Quote by Charlatan_001
Meshuggah is crazy in a good way.

"Meshuggah" is hebrew for "crazy". Just some FYI for ya.
Quote by Shakespeare
The man that hath no music in himself, Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, And his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted.
Damn you chips!
Quote by Shakespeare
The man that hath no music in himself, Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, And his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted.
Meshuggah, in my opinion, is one of the greatest bands in existence. The principle that the band operates on takes some serious balls to even think about, much less make a reality. I really really respect and admire them for what they've done, even though they're not the most musically astounding or technically amazing band on the planet. Tomas Haake is one hell of a drummer, too.
Quote by Gomorrah
I think this band is overated.

i bet u couldnt play anything of theirs though
Quote by legions
I agree.....kind of, but only because i hate them and their 8-string guitar drop holy **** tuning...

Yeah, they're kind of tech metal wankery.
Quote by Damage_Inc
I only have "I" and I Love it . I Plan on Getting more Albums in the Future.

I is fvcking great I enjoy that EP so much that it slowly infecting my other music. Its one epic mind game.
The thing i found cool about 'I' was the beginning, which I originally thought was staccato is actually lightning fast groupings, which is evenmore of an achievement to keep up at those time sigs. Its just a great song in general really, faultless in my humble opinion.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
Quote by legions
I agree.....kind of, but only because i hate them and their 8-string guitar drop holy **** tuning...

If you think that that is all there is to them then you have completely missed everything that is Meshuggha. Like seriously. Wow.
Quote by badosker
i bet u couldnt play anything of theirs though

They're still overrated, they sure are talented though.
Originally posted by Novaworld
Smiddys right...
Has anyone ever bought I. Its like one song that is twenty minutes long. That takes some serious talent.

Quote by Stranglehold
He swallowed black nail polish and shat the word 'motherfucker' onto a non-metal kid. Rad.

Quote by severed-metal
You can dress a woman slutty, but she's not a slut. Understand?

living inside a drop only to die in an ocean
Quote by xfactor

Yeah, as stated, that is a weird opinion. Not stupid, just much different then the common opinion of most people.

I myself being one of those common people. DEI is still great to me, but that's about all I listen to regularly.
Quote by rg_metal
Has anyone ever bought I. Its like one song that is twenty minutes long. That takes some serious talent.

Opeth has songs like that on each album.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
/is listening to I
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
what is up with the production on I? for part of it the drums just sound horrible. i don't like how the intro sounds either; i get the effect they were trying to achieve, but i think they could have done a much better job of it. the weird thing is, most of it sounds ok, but there's a spell where the drums just sound awful. ill listen to it tomorrow n post the timerange of the spell, i think its between 5 and 7 minutes roughly.
Quote by Nilefan
^My thoughts to.

Guys learn how to sigg :p!
1# member of R.I.P layne staley club pm me to join
Coolest people on UG
Alucard ll
Kendawg4TooL
XeNoCiDe730
Thembones 16
Stepco
Ticks&Leeches
theWretched
Sadisticmonkey
michelangelo!
Kartman
DownInAhole
rockon1824
Rhinosaur Bones
ooops meant quote
1# member of R.I.P layne staley club pm me to join
Coolest people on UG
Alucard ll
Kendawg4TooL
XeNoCiDe730
Thembones 16
Stepco
Ticks&Leeches
theWretched
Sadisticmonkey
michelangelo!
Kartman
DownInAhole
rockon1824
Rhinosaur Bones
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Opeth has songs like that on each album.

Opeth has one song like that on one album...

some songs are 10min+ on other albums but none break 20 minutes.
High Templar of the UG Secret Society
PM SickMetal or Sanitarium24 to join.
aNOMaly
Very original band, awesome drummer, but catch 33 wasnt that good, dei was best.
I like some of Mushuggah's work. Most of the songs I like are from Nothing. Like "Rational Gaze."
One of the best bands ever IMHO. The drummer is amazing, and he writes most of the lyrics. The time changes are untouchable. And Jens' vocals fit perfectly. Best of all, they offer something new and aren't just a clone of some other band.
Catch 33 is an amazing peice of work. In order to appreciate it, you have to take it for more than just face value: the same riff over and over again. To me, its more of mesmerizing mood music than anything. It is probably the best album in the way of listening entertainment that I have ever heard. Their other albums are great too, and big props to the drummer for kicking ass. I like the use of the 8 string guitars too.
Quote by Alucard II
what is up with the production on I? for part of it the drums just sound horrible. i don't like how the intro sounds either; i get the effect they were trying to achieve, but i think they could have done a much better job of it. the weird thing is, most of it sounds ok, but there's a spell where the drums just sound awful. ill listen to it tomorrow n post the timerange of the spell, i think its between 5 and 7 minutes roughly.

Are you referring to the section where Thomas is doing 3/4 on the snare and 4/4 with the hi-hat/kick? If so...I'm gonna have to disagree with you; that's my absolute favorite part of the whole song.
Quote by i_baked_cookies
Catch 33 is an amazing peice of work. In order to appreciate it, you have to take it for more than just face value: the same riff over and over again. To me, its more of mesmerizing mood music than anything. It is probably the best album in the way of listening entertainment that I have ever heard. Their other albums are great too, and big props to the drummer for kicking ass. I like the use of the 8 string guitars too.

Yea Catch is one of those albums that just doesnt work if you dont fallow it the whole way through. Meshuggah really does take a little bit of time to get used to them but I find them quite charming. And "I" is one hell of a monster
Also does Rational Gaze have a video and if it does is it the one with the stop/go camera effects?
Catch 33 is only really good if you listen to it from start to finish . It's better then "Nothing" IMO Dei or Chaosphere is by far there best. And just might be some of the most ground breaking cd's from the 90's
Hello All. I would like to thank the Op for starting this thread as Meshuggah is very dear to me. I have listened to them since choasphere. I agree catch is there best. And imho catch 33 is among mans finest achievment in terms of musical expression of the emotion of hate, anger, discontent, and rage.
However it is known that meshuggah is hard to grasp. Just getting past the singer is hard in and of itself. When i attempt to show people the beauty that is Meshuggah i always say to them to try to block out the singer. Because if an individual has not themselves felt the same level of hate, anger, discontent, and rage (and lived through it) the singer which is the figurehead of the emotion behind the music will immediatly turn them away. they won't even have a desire to hear the mastery of the music. For all my years of listening to them i still listen to them everyday.

Some comments about particular songs.
1.Sumtrack 13, catch 33 is ultimetly there most powerfull piece. especially when the clean sounds begin. In my opinion the song is the best representative of the story of humanity and to a larger extent to life on earth with respect to all the woes,sadness and struggle's that life,and especially our species has suffered.
2.Concatenation, Track 1, Chaosphere. is not only the blackest of there music but the blackest piece of music i have ever heard.
3.Personae Non Gratae. My personal favorite. very close to the blackness that is concatenation. but much more musical complex and rich.

A wishfull fantasy i have which will not come to be in my life time: To be alive when another intelligent species in our galaxy encounters meshuggah. and to head band to meshuggah with one of them.
Last edited by PersonaNonGrata at Jun 6, 2006,