Page 4 of 83
Haha, I forgot that there was another Meshuggah.

I really them. I have Nothing, Chaosphere, and DEI. Good albums IMO, but I like Chaosphere the most.
^IMO, Catch33 is their best, check it out
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
this band like totally blows..i have catch 33 and like 3-4 use the same riffs then it stops he says a poem the theres weird noises then they finish the album with another riff...err umm...i mean 4 songs
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
Quote by duncang
^IMO, Catch33 is their best, check it out

Cath 33 was their worst IMO. Their best album is probably DEI, followed by Chaospere. But that's just me.
My Last.FM page. Add me!

Quote by severed-metal
I frequent so many big dick forums it's ridiculous

PSN name: sixty5days
I bought "I" from them yesterday as my first album of theirs (it was 4 bucks at Best Buy.. cant pass that down!) although I didn't knwo it was only one track. Kickass track, the rhythm guitarist and drummer are ridiculously sick. What album should I get next?
Quote by el57
I bought "I" from them yesterday as my first album of theirs (it was 4 bucks at Best Buy.. cant pass that down!) although I didn't knwo it was only one track. Kickass track, the rhythm guitarist and drummer are ridiculously sick. What album should I get next?
Four dollars?!

!!?!?!!?!?

!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

*Kicks HMV in the balls*

It's $22.99 where I live!!!!

And buy Catch 33 next.
Best Buy=greatest place to buy music (in my area at least). Most metal CD's under $10. And I will Check out catch33 as most of you seem to like it most.
Quote by el57
Best Buy=greatest place to buy music (in my area at least). Most metal CD's under $10. And I will Check out catch33 as most of you seem to like it most.

That or Chaosphere. I started out with that one.
Quote by <><
Four dollars?!

!!?!?!!?!?

!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

*Kicks HMV in the balls*

It's $22.99 where I live!!!!

And buy Catch 33 next.

$22.99 for one song? I can buy at least 2 full CDs.
Quote by el57

Don't listen to what anybody else says. Get Destroy Erase Improve next.
My Last.FM page. Add me!

Quote by severed-metal
I frequent so many big dick forums it's ridiculous

PSN name: sixty5days
Anybody of you guys know Textures. Their music is very influenced by Meshuggah
The Haunted fan club #1 (PM me to join)
Amon Amarth fan club #3
Member #3 of the METAL MISSIONARIES club
Member #8 of the anti CoF club
#10 MEMBER OF THE OFFICIAL THRASH METAL FAN CLUB
I started off with a few tracks off chaosphere, but then got into DEI/ catch 33
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
Quote by TheHaunted
Anybody of you guys know Textures. Their music is very influenced by Meshuggah

yeah, they're sweet, the production of their latest album is awesome. And yeah, you can definitly hear the meshuggah influences
Tool are awesome

PRS Tremonti SE
Behringer Ultra Metal / Zoom 505II
Marshall 30w Combo
absolute rythmical genius... i think Portney would have trouble trying to get his head round it. =P

wouldnt be what im interested in myself though
why do kamakazi pilots wear helmets?
Quote by `NeXxuS`
lyr·ic Audio pronunciation of "lyrics" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (lrk)
adj.

1. Of or relating to a category of poetry that expresses subjective thoughts and feelings, often in a songlike style or form.

so no, its a Poem... and you dont have to sing everything you write in a Poem in music.

...what are you on about? Am I being really stupid or are you?
If there are words in a song, they're generally understood to be lyrics. Occasionally, people put samples in which don't make it into a lyrics booklet, presumably because they count as part of the song not the lyrics. Mine not to wonder why
- or care.
Quote by PersonaNonGrata
Hello All. I would like to thank the Op for starting this thread as Meshuggah is very dear to me. I have listened to them since choasphere. I agree catch is there best. And imho catch 33 is among mans finest achievment in terms of musical expression of the emotion of hate, anger, discontent, and rage.
However it is known that meshuggah is hard to grasp. Just getting past the singer is hard in and of itself. When i attempt to show people the beauty that is Meshuggah i always say to them to try to block out the singer. Because if an individual has not themselves felt the same level of hate, anger, discontent, and rage (and lived through it) the singer which is the figurehead of the emotion behind the music will immediatly turn them away. they won't even have a desire to hear the mastery of the music. For all my years of listening to them i still listen to them everyday.

Despite the fact that I have not listened to them for years ,I must say that I completly agree with you. This is a difficult band to convert people to, there are so many hurdles for anyone trying to get into Meshuggah. It's perhaps one of those bands that one discovers himself or just passes on.

Some comments about particular songs.
1.Sumtrack 13, catch 33 is ultimetly there most powerfull piece. especially when the clean sounds begin. In my opinion the song is the best representative of the story of humanity and to a larger extent to life on earth with respect to all the woes,sadness and struggle's that life,and especially our species has suffered.

Not too sure of which part of the song you are talking about ,because this "song" can be pretty much put into two very distinctive parts the first which is the bridge from "Dehumanization" to "Sum" and the secound piecefull piece of the song. It's a very fragmented song which indeed finds a very eery harmony and camb at the end of "Catch".

A wishfull fantasy i have which will not come to be in my life time: To be alive when another intelligent species in our galaxy encounters meshuggah. and to head band to meshuggah with one of them.

lol

Anyhow I have been seriously checking out DEI, after it took me nearly 4 months to completly get over my Catch33 phase. So far I'm loving it simply brilliant ,hell I didnt know Meshuggah could create such catchy tracks like Beneath.
Well when I saw a link in the first one I could'nt help myself....

"here i am in the hand of a sterile hate the
new control i can not wake i'm not a sleep"
Quote by las7

Anyhow I have been seriously checking out DEI, after it took me nearly 4 months to completly get over my Catch33 phase. So far I'm loving it simply brilliant ,hell I didnt know Meshuggah could create such catchy tracks like Beneath.

Gotta aggree. When i first got into Meshuggah, i dd so in my usual "getting into new bands" way- get the most well known song(s)- So New milennium cyanide christ, and get the most recent record (Catch). I spent ages on them, but then when i got DEI, i was just blown away. The strange thing is though, even though Catch is the "one song" album, I regard DEI kind of as one giant piece- not specifically one song, but just one....thing. I know my favourite bits on the album, but i couldn't tell you where they are or what songs they are in. I just listen to the whole album and enjoy the parts as they come.

I kinda like it that way, it means i don't overplay one specific track, and so it doesn't get boring.

/mindless rant
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
I got to ask which of the fallowing things are worth buying:

Ejaculation Of Salvation
Contradictions Collapse
None
Selfcaged
The True Human Design
I own DEI, Chaosphere, and Nothing. My favorite is Chaosphere, then DEI, and I enjoy a few songs off of Nothing, but it sucks as an album listen. I don't know if anyone answered the question posed in the second paragraph of the very first post, but no, he does not sing the paranthetical verses on "New Millenium Cyanide Christ". I think it's because he wanted to make that point, or wanted to fit those verses in the song, but that would result in what, another 3 times through the verse? It's a good song, but that would be too much.
Quote by Powerhouse
I was in a nu-metal band when I was 15. I hated the top 3 strings (G,B, and E). I wondered why guitars even had them.
I feel like I have a lot of respect for them: good drummer and rhythm, but I could never get into them. The vocals just never appealled to me at all, and from the little I have seen their song writing is pretty repetitive (many songs sound very similar), but that's coming from someone who knows little of their work.

One of these days I'll give them another big chance.
-Mike
Quote by HopePoisoned
I feel like I have a lot of respect for them: good drummer and rhythm, but I could never get into them. The vocals just never appealled to me at all, and from the little I have seen their song writing is pretty repetitive (many songs sound very similar), but that's coming from someone who knows little of their work.

One of these days I'll give them another big chance.

Personally, i think you are kinda right. Although there's something i've noticed- their stuff sounds similar to other stuff on that album, while different to other material- i.e. take 3 songs from an album and they'll sound the same, take 3 songs each from a different album, andyou'll notice the difference straight away

(This doesn't apply to DEI- that album is a masterpiece pure and simple )
Quote by Dogruitag

Quote by LookAlive
Quote by numbfinger
this band like totally blows..i have catch 33 and like 3-4 use the same riffs then it stops he says a poem the theres weird noises then they finish the album with another riff...err umm...i mean 4 songs

no, you don't understand that album. Its meticulously calculated, sounds drop really low in the mix and come back again later, the riffs repeat and then collapse on themselves, i dunno, that album just makes sense to me and its brilliant.
Read my post. Not this.
I absolultey LOVE meshuggah, although the only albums I have from them are Catch 33, Chaosphere, and I. Even though their stuff is really repetetive, it's just different, and you just have to get the hang of it, once you do, it'll all make sense.

I'm looking to pick up DEI soon, is it worth it?
future breed machine is such an incredible song
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
DEI is a master piece you can't possibly live to see another day without getting it right now. It's a whole lot different from latter releases in terms of album consept and song writing definetly one of the best.
Does everyone have a favorite song from Catch?
For me it's Dehumanization I really enjoy for me it is perhaps the stand out track on the album.
Ive only got 3 songs by em- New Millenium Cyanide Christ, the amazing I, and Shed, and Ive been intending on getting more of their stuff. Currently all that is available is Catch 33, which ive been meaning to pick up for several weeks now.

Oh btw, the video from New Millenium Cyanide Christ is HILARIOUS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5A0q63_gbo
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
I don't think Catch 33 is a good place to start; although I started with Catch and "I" ,I think that "Destroy Erase Improve" is alot easier to get into.
Catch 33 wasnt my 1st option either, but I just have to go with whats available. And I thought Belgium would be great for metal!
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
catch thirty three, i, and bits off of chaosphere, nothing, and destroy erase improve

damn good music
most people tend not to like catch thirty three, and yeah it can get to me sometimes, but there is some amazing stuff on it, minds mirrors, in death is life, shed, i love the opening 3 songs together too, in imprint of the unsaved(i think), the struggle to free myself from restraints, becomes my very shackles
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
Catch 33 is 'ok,' but I wouldn't recommend it as a starting out album. DEI or Chaosphere ftw!
I love the song Autonomy lost. even through its like 1:23, the riff is amazing. War and I are also amazing songs.
1# member of R.I.P layne staley club pm me to join
Coolest people on UG
Alucard ll
Kendawg4TooL
XeNoCiDe730
Thembones 16
Stepco
Ticks&Leeches
theWretched
Sadisticmonkey
michelangelo!
Kartman
DownInAhole
rockon1824
Rhinosaur Bones
Meshuggah confuses me on many levels. It's really quite dizzying to listen to, but I can't say I don't enjoy it every so often.
Rig

Jackson DK2M -> ISP Decimator -> Peavey 6505 Combo
Quote by EZLN libertad
catch thirty three, i, and bits off of chaosphere, nothing, and destroy erase improve

damn good music
most people tend not to like catch thirty three, and yeah it can get to me sometimes, but there is some amazing stuff on it, minds mirrors, in death is life, shed, i love the opening 3 songs together too, in imprint of the unsaved(i think), the struggle to free myself from restraints, becomes my very shackles

In Death Is Death > In Death Is Life

@ the favorite track off of Catch 33, I'm not sure. It's a tough one between In Death Is Death and Sum. That fucking scream is so awesome.
i have 2 meshuggah albums that i never listened to. the only song ive heard is that shed song from teh music vid and it seemed pretty whack. i like the screams at the beginning and end. someone give me a good song to start with, i have chaosphere and catch 33
The only song i've ever heard from them is New Millenium Cyanide Christ.

Meh..
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by Tsunekuni

@ the favorite track off of Catch 33, I'm not sure. It's a tough one between In Death Is Death and Sum. That fucking scream is so awesome.

Sum is my secound fav track off Catch, but the ambiance at the end is not my cup of tea.