Page 1 of 28
Bmm386
no mood, no soul.
5,280 IQ
Oh yes, the Garage Rock thread. This is much like the Grunge Thread. Thing is we all know at one time or another you've liked some garage rock, whether it be 60's garage rock (Kinks, etc) Or some of todays great garage rock bands (Strokes, White Stripes, Hives).

So we have it, The Garage Rock Discussion Thread. Place any Questions/interesting facts/Sentences of hate/etc Regarding Garage Rock here.

Lets start it out simple, What do you like about Garage rock?
Last edited by Bmm386 at Nov 6, 2005,
slinks
Bastard in a Basket
443 IQ
I think you're going to find that there aren't a whole lot of people around here who like garage rock. Sure some do, but a majority don't for some reason or another.

I just bought Thee Michelle Gun Elephant's "Gear Blues" and that's a great hard rockin' album. It really doesn't matter that 98% of it's in Japanese.

I love garage rock just because they're often very simple, catchy songs that have that kind of dirty/gritty feel to them. My favorite band has to be the Black Keys, though I like most garage rock. Oneida, The Livin' Kitchen, The Detonations, The Heartless Bastards, The Kills, The Hives, The Von Bondies, The Willowz, The Unicorns, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Death from Above 1979, White Stripes, The Vines, etc., etc. Great stuff.

So yeah
Last edited by slinks at Nov 6, 2005,
ToolBass_dude
Lemon Fairy Liquid
605 IQ
The hives aren't bad.

but i cannot stand the white stripes...and im watching a programme about music and just had some morons talking about how great they are...
Tenacious_dex
Dex
221 IQ
^x1 I just saw that too. I thought they spoke the thuth, he does put alot of energy in. But they did say he was as good as Hendrix, which is a bit stupid, he's good, but not that good. I thought they would be higher than 46 though.

^x2 Japanese garage rock, hell yeah!

Garage rock has energy, and I like that. The catchy riffs and upbeat feel make it fun to listen to. Garage rock is probably my favourite type of rock. I enjoy, Hives, The Kills, Strokes, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Vines, Kings of Leon, Kinks, Von Blondies, Sahara Hotnights, Subways, and of course, my favourite band, The White Stripes.

Interesting fact: The White Stripes got thrown out of the Hotel Yorba when they were recording there. Amazing!

I love garage rock. It makes my life complete.
Feel loved: Click here!

Joint President of The White Stripes club! PM Me or Jack_White455 to join this great club!

Ecky thump!
Tenacious_dex
Dex
221 IQ
^Yes there are- Well, I'm a fan. Have you heard 'Juice Box'? It's quite funky, and I like it. Reptilia, New York City Cops, and Last Night, are my favourites. When's the new album coming out?

Joint President of The White Stripes club! PM Me or Jack_White455 to join this great club!

Ecky thump!
slinks
Bastard in a Basket
443 IQ
I enjoy the Strokes, though as far as garage bands go they aren't at the top of the list. Juice Box is a great song, though.
pistoldisco
158 IQ
Quote by slinks

I just bought Thee Michelle Gun Elephant's "Gear Blues" and that's a great hard rockin' album. It really doesn't matter that 98% of it's in Japanese.

No way! Thee Michelle Gun Elephant is my favorite-band in the whole world (even though they broke up two years ago). I suggest you get more of their stuff.

For those who haven't heard TMGE there are some soundclips here:
http://us.share.geocities.com/alessandroaiello/tmge.swf
slinks
Bastard in a Basket
443 IQ
^ Hell yes! Got it for $1.99 (plus shipping) too! I'm so proud of myself. Amazon Marketplace is a wonderful thing let me tell you.

Damn their songs get stuck in your head. SATANIC BOOM BOOM HEAD!

Killer.

Edit: Man, this thread is really taking off. We'll catch up with the grunge thread in no time
pistoldisco
158 IQ
Sweet.

Satanic Boom Head is great. Gear Blues is great, perhaps their best album (it was their breakthrough at least). So many great songs, Smokin' Billy, Killer Beach, Brian Down, G.W.D., Danny Go. All amazing songs.

Btw. here's a japanese site that has tabbed almost all of their music, almost only chords though, you'll have to figure out the rest yourself. :P

http://sound.jp/blueblack/
slinks
Bastard in a Basket
443 IQ
That's cool thanks.

Hey there's this band called Cobra Verde that are out of Ohio that I've come to really like a lot (I made a thread but it didn't go over so well).

Their site is here and you can listen to some of their songs. You definitely want to listen to the higher quality ones, the 28k sound like shit.

I haven't listened to all of them but I recommend the songs off of Nightlife since I own that album (except "What Makes a Man a Man", that song is just really strange and out of character for them, I guess it's not necessarily bad though).

Anyway, enjoy!

Edit: I can't navigate that TMGE site at all.
sirpsycho85
selfstyled voice o reason
858 IQ
Quote by Bmm386
Any fans of the Strokes here?

hell yes. "Hard To Explain" is one of the best songs written in years, and "Someday" isn't too far behind. They'd be hard pressed to top either of those, but i like both their albums and the new song has grown on me.

I also love the white stripes and libertines, and i enjoy franz ferdinand as well if you clump them there. I'd like to get into more bands from this genre.

i just bought a CD by Little Barrie as well. They're closer to white person soul though, but with a garage instrumental sound. Just the singer sounds like the guy from Maroon 5, which i don't mind but im sure some people do. The drummer sings backup and some dual leads, and he is probably a better singer actually. Anyway, they are pretty good, especially the single "Free Salute".
"I see my light come shining from the west down to the east
Any day now, any day now I shall be released"

Know any good teachers in NY, especially skilled in teaching ear training? Tell me
Last edited by sirpsycho85 at Nov 6, 2005,
Abe
Come Here and Say That...
1,563 IQ
I really dislike The Strokes, but consider myself a garage rock fan. There's just something about them I find so....rubbish.

The White Stripes, The Von Bondies and Kings of Leon have all been mentioned but they are all fantastic IMO - The White Stripes are the best band I've ever seen live, it's amazing what a sound two people can produce.
pistoldisco
158 IQ
Yeah, I saw The White Stripes live almost 3 weeks ago when they were playing here in Sweden. It was brilliant. Too bad they can't put out the energy they have live on their records, that'd be so sweet. I like how he makes the songs "heavier" live (maybe even a little faster?).

I think all of The Strokes music sounds the same... :-/
YAY_FOR_PIE
*Insert Witty Phrase*
263 IQ
I like garage rock, but I have a question. I just bought the new White Stripes CD and love it, but would you consider it garage rock?
The Proverbial Mind Spread of The Primus Sucks Club. PM StratEnRegalia to join.
Originally posted by Draken
we're not nerds thank you very much i have a very respectable 40k imperial guard army.
sirpsycho85
selfstyled voice o reason
858 IQ
not my absolute favorite band today, but i will readily admit that the white stripes are making the most important music in modern rock. they are willing to play different sounds, have all the creative control they want and they have not had a bad album, some good some great. they have great riffs, great folksy songwriting, everything to be remembered as an absolutely classic band.
"I see my light come shining from the west down to the east
Any day now, any day now I shall be released"

Know any good teachers in NY, especially skilled in teaching ear training? Tell me
trev_smith12
UG Unknown
202 IQ
It's about time someone made a thread on garage rock. I just love that in a time with so much boring overproduced music, bands can just come out and make the most raw and energetic music possible.

I like Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Von Bondies, Strokes, Vines, Black Keys, Kings Of Leon, Death From Above 1979, Libertines, Hives, Kinks, Unicorns, and of course my all-time favourite band The White Stripes.
Tenacious_dex
Dex
221 IQ
Quote by trev_smith12
It's about time someone made a thread on garage rock. I just love that in a time with so much boring overproduced music, bands can just come out and make the most raw and energetic music possible.

I like Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Von Bondies, Strokes, Vines, Black Keys, Kings Of Leon, Death From Above 1979, Libertines, Hives, Kinks, Unicorns, and of course my all-time favourite band The White Stripes.

The rawness and energeticness is definately the best part of garage rock. And I agree, in a time of boring overproduced music it is god to get something fresh.

If your favourite band is the White Stripes, I wonder if you would be interested in joining the fantastic White Stripes Fanclub.

In fact anyone can join the fanclub if you wish, and of course if you like the White Stripes.

Ecky thump!
Tenacious_dex
Dex
221 IQ
See the idiot talk......

I think it's a good chorus. My friend had the song in his head all day, and I didnt get bored of him singing it. Two-Timing Touch and Broken Bones is better I think though.

Ecky thump!
DetroitRockCity
206 IQ
love garage rock...

anyone listen to the new white stripes cover single "Walking witha Ghost"?
Loudly pronounce the color of the each word below:
Green , Red , Blue, Green ,
Red , Green , Green , Blue, Red , Green, Blue .
If you pronounced the last 2 wrong or wanted to... you've been brainwashed...
trev_smith12
UG Unknown
202 IQ
^ yeah man, I saw them perform it live in Toronto. Everyone went crazy because Tegan & Sara are like one of the biggest Canadian Indie bands here. It's a great cover of a great song.
Member of the We Have Better Taste Than You club
PM DorkusMalorkus with a list of your favorite bands to join.
slinks
Bastard in a Basket
443 IQ
"Walking with a Ghost" is a great song, but I've yet to hear the Stripes' cover. I think I'll just wait for the EP to be released rather than download it.
Tenacious_dex
Dex
221 IQ
http://www.video-c.co.uk/micrositedisplayfull.asp?vidref=thew010&page=watch&FileType=ADSLProg
White Stripes new video for the Denial Twist!

http://media.putfile.com/The-White-Stripes---Live-On-Conan---4-2675
Stripes live on Conan. I love this, even though its not great quality.

I've not heard the cover, but I've heard the original of Walking With a Ghost, I'll have to get it somehow.
I'm trying to get tickets for the Stripes on E-bay for manchester on the 17th, but they're going for such high prices. Anyone care to offer yours too me?

Ecky thump!
DetroitRockCity
206 IQ
man... the denial twist video is weird
Loudly pronounce the color of the each word below:
Green , Red , Blue, Green ,
Red , Green , Green , Blue, Red , Green, Blue .
If you pronounced the last 2 wrong or wanted to... you've been brainwashed...
slinks
Bastard in a Basket
443 IQ
Alright how about this: Everyone knows certain garage bands like the Strokes, White Stripes, Hives, Vines, etc. But what's your favorite garage band that is either unknown or relatively unknown? Mine is a band called The Livin' Kitchen, who you can listen to here or Cobra Verde (if they count) who I posted a link to on the first page.
jimmyjimjim
D? is for Danger?!
99 IQ
Quote by Tenacious_dex
See the idiot talk......

I think it's a good chorus. My friend had the song in his head all day, and I didnt get bored of him singing it. Two-Timing Touch and Broken Bones is better I think though.

my favorite hives chorus is in "b is for brutus"

but if you do it, do it good brutus
Real good! like a little man should!

its a great pump up song (for me, anyways)
Themaniac
10 IQ
i loooove garage-rock, especially the really dirty stuff... i like the idea of the name. a bunch of guys banned into a garage and playing old instruments with even older amps

my favourites at the moment besides the already mentioned more known "classics" like the hives, the black keys,...

the (international) noise conspiracy

the blue van

and last but not least: tokyo sex destruction; in my eyes THE definition of garage rock. check out the album le red soul communitee. you can listen to 2 songs on the dimmak homepage

http://www.dimmak.com/mp3s/index.php
IT'S NEVER TOO DARK TO BE COOL
Tenacious_dex
Dex
221 IQ
http://www.bbc.co.uk/totp/news/news/2005/11/07/26816.shtml
Is this true? I've not heard it said anywhere else. Jack White= Three Quid? Sounds hard to beleive.

I don't really like non-very-well-heard-of garage rock bands. But I'll take a look at what you other guys posted up.

Ecky thump!
slinks
Bastard in a Basket
443 IQ
Quote by Tenacious_dex
http://www.bbc.co.uk/totp/news/news/2005/11/07/26816.shtml
Is this true? I've not heard it said anywhere else. Jack White= Three Quid? Sounds hard to beleive.

If that is true it's probably the dumbest thing I've heard in a while. But like that guy said, as long as they keep playing well I couldn't care less.
Tenacious_dex
Dex
221 IQ
I've just found out, it is true. Jack White has changed his name too III Quid, But only in Britain I think.

Quote by Bmm386
Any Kinks fans here?

I like the Kinks. 'Father Christmas' is probably the best christmas song ever. All day and all of the night, Lola, and Death of a Clown are all good songs.

Did anyone see the Strokes video for Juice Box? It was on Channel 4 last night. I've not seen it yet.

Long live the garage rock thread. Even though it's not going so well.

Ecky thump!
slinks
Bastard in a Basket
443 IQ
Quote by Tenacious_dex
Long live the garage rock thread. Even though it's not going so well.

Yeah it's really too bad. At least it got a worthy bump.