Page 1 of 3
i_strum_i_drum
398 IQ
i noticed there was no thread for these guys. personally i find them to be pretty incredible. Domestica and The Ugly Organ are in my player constantly.

i was told by my friend that the cellist left, and i would like to know if any of you know anymore than i do about this (i.e. if this is true or false, et cetera)
another_vandal
Banned
130 IQ
its a shame she left. she added such a dynamic to that band. ugly organ was such an improvement to domestica.
dougiecrystals
.hot.
374 IQ

Yeah, it's true.

Apparently Gretta is gonna go do some solo stuff or crap.

Whatev, the way I see it, Cursive was an awesome band even before her.

Sure, they made the incredible Burst and Bloom and the Ugly Organ with her, but..just the other day I spent all day listening to their "Storms of Early Summer:.." album and it's great.
Then yesterday I spent all day listening to their stuff from their split with Silver Scooter..

So yeah, it sucks Gretta left, but even without her, they were and still are a really great band.

Now if only they could come to Texas and do one of their $2 shows they've been doing.....

jallas
dying is fine
1,802 IQ
The Ugly Organ is such a fantastic album, I love it to bits. I have Burst And Bloom as well but it's not as directly appealing IMO as TUO. But yeah, aweosme band
Quote by Kensai
Maybe you've heard what the ladies say: "Once you go 77mm you don't go back"
EmO_RuleZ!!
I cry in the corner
276 IQ
I only have The Ugly Organ, so I have no comparison.
Maybe if someone would be willing to send me Domestica, then I could compare.
Quote by emomints
Green day have to be one of the biggest emo bands in the world (and I still love them). Which do you lot think is there most emo song 'coz me and my friend can't decide lol
i_strum_i_drum
398 IQ
i was not sure where to place them, but seeing as they were on the Almighty list of emo bands i did not want to mess with that. i prefer to see them in here anyway.

the ugly organ has to be one of my favorite albums.
tim can take any formation of words and make it sound just so emotional, its almost absurd.
YAY_FOR_PIE
*Insert Witty Phrase*
263 IQ
I really can't get into them. Not my style.
The Proverbial Mind Spread of The Primus Sucks Club. PM StratEnRegalia to join.
Originally posted by Draken
we're not nerds thank you very much i have a very respectable 40k imperial guard army.
pumpkins_rule
UG's Rap crusader
1,404 IQ
They're often mislabeled emo, and Kasher's singing can get a little emo-ish, but in general they're a little too good (innovative even, as I haven't ever heard a combination of strings and heavy guitars like those combined on The Ugly Organ) to be lumped in with crap like Dashboard Confessional and Fall-Out Boy.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

dougiecrystals
.hot.
374 IQ

Meh, I'd say their emo..

I mean, Such Blinding Stars and Domestica are pretty emo in my opinion.

I don't know, really, I don't know what's "emo" anymore.

When I think of emo, I think of the song "After the Movies"- Cursive

Awesome song btw.

And that's totally separate from the "pop-emo" I guess, such as Fall out boy, and dashboard, and the likes.

Fuck, too many genres, Cursive for me is simply great music. All that matters really..

EmoBastard
11 IQ
These guys are great. I love how they utilize the chello in their songs. The Ugly Organ is their best album.
Don't do it behind the garden gate, love is blind but the neighbours ain't!
Knife2aGunFight
Good Morning Captain
761 IQ
A cello player going off to do solo work, wtf kind of solo work does a solo cellist get for God sake. Why Gretta Why. Burst and Bloom Ep is pure awesome, as well as The Ugly Organ. On some random notes on this band: Hey is that brass instrument I hear in Nonsense, me love that song "One foot in your mouth the other one's in your grave". Mr Kasher can write he can. Who's heard Sinner's Serenade? And on their future I think you can listen to 10 percent to the 10 percent, which was recorded for Kartrina effort. Sounds like their reverting to their past. Don't know if I like that. They should just replace the cello with some new guitar sounds but domestica was good. I guess we'll see in time.
sydbarrettsaves
love is simple
281 IQ
they're definately not emo.
music...

get your head out from those mags
and websites who try to shape your style
take a risk just for yourself
and wade into the deep end of the ocean
Knife2aGunFight
Good Morning Captain
761 IQ
Quote by pumpkins_rule
They're often mislabeled emo, and Kasher's singing can get a little emo-ish, but in general they're a little too good (innovative even, as I haven't ever heard a combination of strings and heavy guitars like those combined on The Ugly Organ) to be lumped in with crap like Dashboard Confessional and Fall-Out Boy.

You know there is alot of people that would resent that.....emo=sucky just because Dashboard has emotional lyrics shouldn't make them emo. Emo has become more broad over the years. The old Cursive is most definately Emo without a doubt, just take it from them "they gotta D.C. sound / Shudder To Think, Fugazi / and Chapel Hill / around the early '90s / this is the latest from Saddle Creek" -Sink To the Beat. Emo was largely identified with bands such as these at it's roots before people, technically, started mislabeling things emo like they are with FOB. You should be proud Cursive has true Emo at its roots. The Ugly Organ however is more Alt/indie. I don't know seems emo = scene to most people nowadays. Cursive used to be emo end of story, Kasher is still emotional, but the music itself is more Alt/indie. Emo bands can be innovative too.
Jesse Wants To Die Just As Much As You Want Him Dead
Last edited by Knife2aGunFight at Feb 11, 2006,
emoISaDEADgenre
134 IQ
^i can see where your coming from, but i think if they were emo, they arent anymore...they definiantly went in a more alt rock direction. which is fine, i love cursive.

its seems like there was another cursive thread not to long ago...
You might sleep, but you'll never dream
Onward! Progress! Or so it seems.
You might laugh, but you'll never smile.
Come on in and waste away awhile.
sr.rockalot
sexy man
254 IQ
i think that they are awesome. i like it the way they make it so unique.
yo
Evan_lesPaul
a gentleman caller
519 IQ
emo is the worst word i can think of. not because i hate the genre, because its so misleading. genres are destroying music.
eth0real
Knockin' on heavens door
111 IQ
i love cursive,
'storms of early summer' is probably my favorite ablum of theirs
Get-Tuned.com - Online guitar tuners, bass 12-string, banjo, cello, etc.

Owner of a Washburn D100, Yamaha CGS-104 Classical Guitar, Ibanez Electric Guitar
Paint
UG Addict
946 IQ
cursive is one of those bands that got progressively BETTER with every cd. their first stuff back in the mid-90s was aweful...like...bad. but they got better each time. burst and blood, domestica, art is hard, the ugly organ...progressively better and more creative.

thats what i think.

they are good.
if i cut off your arms and legs
and wrap you in some fucked-up cocoon,
would you still look at me and say
"you can't catch what you can't see"
well i caught you honey,
like the clap sugar.
what do you think of that?
Knife2aGunFight
Good Morning Captain
761 IQ
Aparently they did some live shows without Gretta and the cello last September, and they continued to do songs such as Driftwood, and basically anything from Burst and Bloom, 8 Teeth To Eat You, and The Ugly Organ. Does anyone have this recorded in any way or were at said concerts because I would be interested in how exactly they pull this off. It is my opinion that they can't, or the song would be at a great loss. Maybe with some realy fancy guitar work/effects?
dougiecrystals
.hot.
374 IQ
Quote by Knife2aGunFight
Aparently they did some live shows without Gretta and the cello last September, and they continued to do songs such as Driftwood, and basically anything from Burst and Bloom, 8 Teeth To Eat You, and The Ugly Organ. Does anyone have this recorded in any way or were at said concerts because I would be interested in how exactly they pull this off. It is my opinion that they can't, or the song would be at a great loss. Maybe with some realy fancy guitar work/effects?

Yeah, I've been meaning to hear this stuff as well.

Knife2aGunFight
Good Morning Captain
761 IQ
Yea so a friend of mine listened to Art Is Hard, and that's it, and now he's all like "Cursive Sucks", and I'm all like "Nuh Uh!" and he's like "Yuh Huh!" and I'm like "You Run like a dinosaur!" which is true but beside the point.
But the point is what song should I have him listen to out of all the Cursive stuff to make him like "Cursive is teh best!"? He likes Co&Ca alot, and some other stuff. I can no longer live with this injustice.
Dance-Macabre
10 IQ
I love Cursive, but when I saw them last year Gretta wasn't with them. Still a good show, but she does add a lot.
seanarooni
66 IQ
Quote by Knife2aGunFight
You know there is alot of people that would resent that.....emo=sucky just because Dashboard has emotional lyrics shouldn't make them emo. Emo has become more broad over the years. The old Cursive is most definately Emo without a doubt, just take it from them "they gotta D.C. sound / Shudder To Think, Fugazi / and Chapel Hill / around the early '90s / this is the latest from Saddle Creek" -Sink To the Beat. Emo was largely identified with bands such as these at it's roots before people, technically, started mislabeling things emo like they are with FOB. You should be proud Cursive has true Emo at its roots. The Ugly Organ however is more Alt/indie. I don't know seems emo = scene to most people nowadays. Cursive used to be emo end of story, Kasher is still emotional, but the music itself is more Alt/indie. Emo bands can be innovative too.

true dat,

emo is pretty much completely gone bands like fall out boy are "emo-core," which is the gayest thing ever. their are very few classic emo bands left, like the appleseed cast (check them out).
just another emokid
Dance-Macabre
10 IQ
If anything Kasher's other band the Good Life would be a little more emo. I hate using that word but it really is broad. I think you can see Kasher's more emo roots in this band, like him talking about girlfriends etc. But still it is more alt/indie. It's not like hardcore like awful bands like My Chemical Romance and stuff, it's much more soft and mellow. But in both bands Kasher doesn't whine and talk about cutting himself like people make emo out to be. The lyrics are much better than that, a lot better. The same with Bright Eyes who's lyrics are like 10x better. I think at least.
And another thing is good music is supposed to be EMOtional. Take more recent alternative icons, Kurt Cobain and Eddie Vedder. They were totally emotional, they had emotional lyrics, a lot of great song writers do but they are not labeled EMO. I think people find the need to label everything and emo is a pretty big word these days I hear it misused so many times. So all I am saying is Tim Kasher and Conor Oberst are very emotional song writers but that doesn't make them the same as Fall Out Boy and that crap. I think a lot of you could agree.
i_strum_i_drum
398 IQ
Quote by seanarooni
true dat,

emo is pretty much completely gone bands like fall out boy are "emo-core," which is the gayest thing ever. their are very few classic emo bands left, like the appleseed cast (check them out).

the appleseed cast aren't emo.
not at all.
not even remotely.
it hurt to read that.

(and it's only one more letter to write "that" than "dat")
Paint
UG Addict
946 IQ
Quote by Knife2aGunFight
Yea so a friend of mine listened to Art Is Hard, and that's it, and now he's all like "Cursive Sucks", and I'm all like "Nuh Uh!" and he's like "Yuh Huh!" and I'm like "You Run like a dinosaur!" which is true but beside the point.
But the point is what song should I have him listen to out of all the Cursive stuff to make him like "Cursive is teh best!"? He likes Co&Ca alot, and some other stuff. I can no longer live with this injustice.

have him listen to The Martyr on Domestica.
well i caught you honey,
like the clap sugar.
Ababil_Albarn
Audio Engineer
225 IQ
The Good Life...better than Cursive...i think....
Hi! Are you a home studio recordist in need mixing and/or mastering?

Want a FREE mix consultation?

CONTACT ME!

jallas
dying is fine
1,802 IQ
Quote by Ababil_Albarn
The Good Life...better than Cursive...i think....

I agree. Lately I can't get enough of the Good Life
Quote by Kensai
Maybe you've heard what the ladies say: "Once you go 77mm you don't go back"
EmO_RuleZ!!
I cry in the corner
276 IQ
there is one thing you can't get from the good life that you can from cursive and that is the factor of the ugly girl aka gretta.

too bad she quit.
Quote by emomints
Green day have to be one of the biggest emo bands in the world (and I still love them). Which do you lot think is there most emo song 'coz me and my friend can't decide lol
Paint
UG Addict
946 IQ
There is no way the good life is better than cursive. it doesnt have the same energy and feeling. its good, no doubt but the lyrics are too sad and depressing. and all the songs have the same feel on album of the year.
well i caught you honey,
like the clap sugar.
Unseen_hero
Wooly Mammoth's Absence
243 IQ
if you dig the cello work and/or mathy more complex kind of guitar rock, heck out the band utah! I know they have cd's on amazon but they are a bit hard to find through the search. There's a great song on epitonic by them. check it out.
Knife2aGunFight
Good Morning Captain
761 IQ
3.Big Bang
Before we ever saw string / we were grasping at straws/a debate was born / pickett lines were drawn / there was this Big Bang once / now were learning how to use our thumbs / we need a purpose in life / a survival guide / we need explanations / for how we arrived / there was this big bang once / now were standing on our own two feet / there was this big bang once / now were sharpening up our teeth / They say there was this Big Bang once / but the clergy man doesn't agree / there was this Big Bang once/ but it doesn't pass with Adam & Eve's / original sin / in that beautiful garden / some talking Snake giving apples away / what would that snake say/if he could only see us TODAY?/HUH?! HUH?! HUH!!!/ There was this Big Bang once / we were left here to fill in the blanks.........
Last edited by Knife2aGunFight at Jun 11, 2006,
YoungPilgrim
UG's Photographer
44 IQ
Gretta quit and moved back to New York to pursue a classical career. I saw Cursive in November (minus Gretta). It was a pretty good show. They played some stuff from The Ugly Organ but a good portion of the show was devoted to Cindy Lauper covers.
There once was a man who really loved salt
So he tied his nose to the sea
And then God came down from his silver throne
And said, 'Honey, that water ain't free
slinks
Bastard in a Basket
443 IQ
Quote by YoungPilgrim
...a good portion of the show was devoted to Cindy Lauper covers.

What the hell? Whatever floats their boat, I guess. I just kind of hope they don't do that when I see them in July.
YoungPilgrim
UG's Photographer
44 IQ
Quote by slinks
What the hell? Whatever floats their boat, I guess. I just kind of hope they don't do that when I see them in July.

It was actually pretty awesome. Speaking of, I'm seeing them again in July.
There once was a man who really loved salt
So he tied his nose to the sea
And then God came down from his silver throne
And said, 'Honey, that water ain't free