Page 1 of 2
Angus Malmsteen
UG Member
269 IQ
Did anybody ever notice now much of a ripoff Jet is to AC/DC? I mean, I don't want to sit here and bash Jet to death but they deserve this. Notice how both bands are Australian? Notice how both bands use Gibson and Gretsch? Notice how both bands use Marshall amps? Notice how both bands have two brothers? Notice how both bands use distorted open chords? (Very many bands use them, but they consistently use them.) This seriously annoys me to death. Even GuitarWorld bashed Jet for copying AC/Dc's sound. Any comments or replies?
Just play music.
istandalone
120 IQ
very old news, all i have to say is ac/dc is better
rock and roll aint noise pollution, rock and roll aint gonna die-ac/dc
young_is_god
cha-rite
176 IQ
we all know already. do u have cob webs in ur head cos this is seriously old
keep blues alive
Neon Knight
727 IQ
Quote by Angus Malmsteen
Did anybody ever notice now much of a ripoff Jet is to AC/DC? I mean, I don't want to sit here and bash Jet to death but they deserve this. Notice how both bands are Australian? Notice how both bands use Gibson and Gretsch? Notice how both bands use Marshall amps? Notice how both bands have two brothers? Notice how both bands use distorted open chords? (Very many bands use them, but they consistently use them.) This seriously annoys me to death. Even GuitarWorld bashed Jet for copying AC/Dc's sound. Any comments or replies?

ok so from what i gather Australian brothers cannot be in a band and use distorted open chords and Gibson and Gretsch guitars through marshall amps or their AC/DC rip-offs

but yeah they do rip off AC/DC but not in the aforementioned ways.
TEEP!!! Oiiiiiiieeeeeeeyyy!!!!!!
Randy_Rhoads44
UG's Ranking Psycho
260 IQ
dont' forget they rip off the beatles, look at "Look what you've done" it almost sounds like lennon and mccartney wrote it, (except for the fact it sucks)
I'm so sorry, excuse me for living,
I didn't know, didn't know your a psycho!
-Carolines Spine "Psycho"
Butterknife
UG's Canadian Dreadhead
123 IQ
pff, AC/DC has the most basic sound ever, so who cares? Let the Jet fans have their music
Tomorrow never knows what it dosen't know too soon
TwistedLogic
YaddaYaddaBlahBlahBlah
183 IQ
My question is why the **** is this band being discussed in the modern rock forum. They obvious borrow, or some would say steal, from classic bands like AC/DC the beatles. They are a basic band with the classic guitar, bass, drum, and singer configuration. The songs they play are reminicent (sp) of the songs that we would have heard in the 1970's, so why are they considered modern, if that is the case. I seems somewhat ill conceived to classify a band based on the time period during which they were performing and writing material.

By the way, I think that the singer for Jet sounds a lot like Bon Scott, whether it is natural or he is trying for that effect is another story.
Last edited by TwistedLogic at Nov 21, 2005,
HendrixEdge
absolute bastard(s)...
185 IQ
Irt the thread starter Midnight Oil.
Incisive inklings of proper piss are unsuited for the quill…
las7
Me Shuggah!
542 IQ
Yea Jet is a fvcking rip off ...lol and so is any other band on the fvcking earth they all have members who play different instruments ...all bands have someone who sings well most do.. ooohhh what ever Im not qualified I know nothing about Jet ....
alex_haeni
UG Board King
893 IQ
Don't forget Jet went and bought all their guitar riffs from Ac/dc at a yard sale.
They went to iggy and the remaining beatles.
THATS why they sound like ac/dc
"Insecticon" of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

You make me feel
Like a dog, you can see, my emotions
Is this for real, i'm a man
Sinking deep, in the ocean
lorddubton
31 IQ
Yeah Jet do rip AC/DC off a bit but the casanovas rip 'em sooooo much better! I cant wait to see 'em when they play with da crue and motorhead in melbourne
Some people ask me, what are you, the AC or the DC. I say i'm not any of them, I'm the Lightning bolt in the middle!! (bon scott)
JkHalen
175 IQ
very very old news...even if they rip off ac/dc i still like 'em a bit.
telex289
Fool On The Hill
668 IQ
how is jet a rip-off?... is it because they have a SIMILAR SOUND to ac/dc and the beatles? wow who would have ever thought a band that is influenced by bands they like may possibly sound like that? and as for the equiptment? who the **** cares? i bet you hate jet because all you listen to is classic rock all day and disregard any modern music... the truth is, classic rock is over, everyone has been listening to it for decades, and its time to get your head out of your ass and stop thinking classic rock is STILL the greatest thing since sliced bread. dont get me wrong, i love classic rock, but thats not the only type of music i center myself to.
trey-col89
the angry young man
1,127 IQ
Quote by Angus Malmsteen

Thats possibly the dumbest thing ever.... so sue Jet for being Aussie, its not their faults... they were born there. Maybe they like Gibson and Gretsches, who the hell knows. Notice how they both use Marshall Amps? Yeah, them and the other million bands that exist in the world. Notice how both bands have two brothers? Oasis has two brothers, are they ripping off AC/DC? Creedence Clearwater Revival has two brothers, are they being ripped off? Notice how both bands use distorted open chords? Wake up, nearly ever band on the face of this earth uses open chords quite a lot, don't mean jack ****. Seriously, people who bash Jet annoy me to death. So trying to sound similar to your favorite bands is ripping them off? Lets face it no matter what type of music you play, you will always be ripping someone off, deal with it.
*Official Deadhead*

The times they are a-changin'
DirtyDeeds26
Banned
10 IQ
You are not linking the facts together, do Oasis and Creedence Clearwater Revival play similar to AC/DC??? NO!
Do Millions of bands in the world use Gibsons and Gretches and Marshall especially to sound almost EXACTLY like AC/DC????NO,
and do bands always use distorted open chords to sound like AC/DC?? I dont think so because it is mosted used for punk/emo music nowadays.
So you are now saying Jet sounds smilar to Ac/Dc because it is Jet's favorite band, how come slash 's sound is difference from his favorite bands like Aerosmith and led zeppelin etc???
When people defends Jet annoys the **** outta me, just face the facts, Jet is ripping off Ac/Dc.
Last edited by DirtyDeeds26 at Nov 9, 2005,
coolfrood2005
Blues dude
11 IQ
AC/DC- greatest Aussie band ever. Jet don't come close.
Origionally posted by Sargasm
Does listening to Led Zeppelin make you want to go on a quest to throw the ring of power into Mount Doom in order to destroy Sauron?
skin_knee
S-K-I to the double N-Y
65 IQ
AC/DC > Jet in every way.
Quote by rocktolive
One time, I swear my PB&J sandwich talked to me... maybe it was food poisoning?
Skippy_McNutty
Machine Gun Man
1,136 IQ
ya well on this one commercial it sed to win tickets in a case of beer to australia's best band and it was for jet like wtf???
"Waltz it up! The pit is it!"
telex289
Fool On The Hill
668 IQ
you realize you're comparing a classic rock band that has influenced other bands so much to a recent band that has about 2 singles?
Schecter1277
Banned
1,164 IQ
you all have to be the dumbest human beings alive, i will back that up
JET is simply playing what they like, and i imagine they like the AC/DC sound, that is called playing your influences.
gibson is a good guitar and marshall is a good amp, your point is moot there...
distorted open chords, yeah, AC/DC was the only band EVER to do that, and fyi, AC/DC copied some bands too. i mean music greats copied bands, blue suede shoes by elvis was a cover song.
it's called paying tribute, it's their music, they write it and the words, if they want to sound like AC/DC why is that a bad thing?
"immitation is the sincerest form of flattery" JET is their own band, and diserve just as much as AC/DC

EDIT: and furthermore AC/DC is heavy metal while JET is alternative
dont abandon me
UG's Star Pilot
524 IQ
JET is ok. AC/DC is f*ucking badass. All Jet does is copy the sounds of the 70's.
"The Force will be with you, always."
Schecter1277
Banned
1,164 IQ
Quote by dont abandon me
JET is ok. AC/DC is f*ucking badass. All Jet does is copy the sounds of the 70's.

music never really gets anything new, it's a redoing of older stuff, nothing in music has changed except the insturments. we are still using the same notes, same scales, same stuff. if you want to say that then AC/DC is copying Bach, since they can be traced back to him.
JET writes their own songs, and they like the 70s sound, why you guys have to approve is beyond me, isnt it all about the artist's taste in music?
they are paying homage to bands that came before them.
JET=most unposerish band out there
trey-col89
the angry young man
1,127 IQ
Quote by dont abandon me

So they suck because they are trying to sound like bands they enjoy listening to? So just because they happened to come along in the 2000's instead of the 70's they are restricted to playing **** pop punk music?
*Official Deadhead*

The times they are a-changin'
utsapp89
Banned
260 IQ
Quote by Angus Malmsteen

You're a ****ing idiot. I'll give it to them that Jet does have alot of riffs similar to classic rock songs, but you little bastards that keep pointing this out OVER AND OVER again are pissing me off, damnit. Do you know how many THOUSANDS of bands use Gibson and Gretsh guitars? Do you know how many THOUSANDS of bands use Marshall amps? Do you know how many MILLIONS of people play open distored chords? And do you truly think that two brothers liked AC/DC so much, they decided to form a band because they were siblings? Wouldn't that mean Van Halen and CCR were also ripping AC/DC off? That only further proves that you're just jumping on the Jet-bashing bandwagon. Good Christ, kids today.

EDIT: And another thing. The lead singer plays through Hi-Watt and Orange amps most of the time. I've never seen them with a Gretsch guitar. Cester plays almost exclusively 335's from Gibson (nothing like an SG a la AC/DC) and Muncey uses Gibson V's, Firebirds, and Les Pauls (also, not SG's). And classifying all the amps Marshall makes into one category is idiotic as well. If you were in this room, I'd punch you in the face. Good day.
Last edited by utsapp89 at Nov 10, 2005,
trickie
214 IQ
Quote by Butterknife
pff, AC/DC has the most basic sound ever, so who cares? Let the Jet fans have their music

Yeah this guys right. AC/DC uses the most basic riffs ever so its no shock that theres another band that sounds like them.
Word.
phobos
Ed
327 IQ
Quote by Bmm386
AC/DC isnt even completely Aussie. Only 1 member is. the Youngs are Irish and Brian Johnson is English i belive. Phil Rudd is the only member that was born in Austrailia.

bah, hardly anyone's truly American but they can still call themselves Americans. hell, even i'm first generation American-born hehe. and the Youngs are Scottish, Brian Johnson and Cliff Williams are English.
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
I like:

Phobos (he oozes cool)

Misfits and AC/DC Covers + original recordings (jazz/punk, hardcore, "shredish").
http://advancederror.dmusic.com
DirtyDeeds26
Banned
10 IQ
Quote by utsapp89
You're a ****ing idiot. I'll give it to them that Jet does have alot of riffs similar to classic rock songs, but you little bastards that keep pointing this out OVER AND OVER again are pissing me off, damnit. Do you know how many THOUSANDS of bands use Gibson and Gretsh guitars? Do you know how many THOUSANDS of bands use Marshall amps? Do you know how many MILLIONS of people play open distored chords? And do you truly think that two brothers liked AC/DC so much, they decided to form a band because they were siblings? Wouldn't that mean Van Halen and CCR were also ripping AC/DC off? That only further proves that you're just jumping on the Jet-bashing bandwagon. Good Christ, kids today.

EDIT: And another thing. The lead singer plays through Hi-Watt and Orange amps most of the time. I've never seen them with a Gretsch guitar. Cester plays almost exclusively 335's from Gibson (nothing like an SG a la AC/DC) and Muncey uses Gibson V's, Firebirds, and Les Pauls (also, not SG's). And classifying all the amps Marshall makes into one category is idiotic as well. If you were in this room, I'd punch you in the face. Good day.

Are you a ****ing idiot, did you read my post above??
yawn
Be back later.
2,701 IQ
I'd rather a newer band rip-off a good band like AC/DC than a mediocre one like Green Day.

Let's just compare...

AC/DC Rip-offs:
Jet

Nirvana Rip-offs:
Fuel, Puddle of Mudd, Staind, and a ****load more.

Green Day Rip-offs:
I don't think that's neccessary - it's too depressing.
zep123
UG
278 IQ
and are you gonna be my girl riff sounds quite like radar love
KickOutTheJamsX
UG Member
195 IQ
Quote by telex289
you realize you're comparing a classic rock band that has influenced other bands so much to a recent band that has about 2 singles?

they have 4 singles off of their debut album..

and what does it matter of they are from australia and have brothers? do you think being related and being from a certain country has anything to do with sounding like a band? those are just coincidences.

get your heads out of your asses, its just music. fkn tards make having a band and playing music way more complicated than it has to be.
When I hit 'em from the back, I got them mami's saying dammit man.

When I put it in their mouth, I got them mami's saying duh-huh-huh-muhh.
]InYourHonour[
93 IQ
i dont like Jet, BUT alot of bands use Gibsons and Marshalls in Australia and the world.
The Living End a good aussie band Uses marshall and Gretsch and sound nothing like AC/DC. Jet might use a similar Tone but AC/DC wernt the 1st to use Gibson and Marshall Combination
- Satch is awsome -
dazedandconfusd
Man-erg
40 IQ
Quote by Schecter1277
EDIT: and furthermore AC/DC is heavy metal while JET is alternative

AC/DC isn't metal at all, they're hard rock/classic rock
the_experience
my DNA wouldnt allow this
73 IQ
The problem.......AC/DC is overrated anyway.......but still far better than Jet.