Page 2 of 3
Surrealistic Pillow is a great album, try it out. Crown of Creation is great too, but not like SP.

If you want a compilation album, get The Worst of Jefferson Airplane
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
Quote by hippiemusic101
i am probably the only kid for miles who likes Phsychedelic Rock, i live in ****in texas

I want to get some more ja albums recomendations?

I am here too haha.

Good band, also.
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
Does anyone else have Bless It's Pointed Little Head? It's an amazing live album; easily one of my favorites by any band.

One of the greatest live records out there IMO.
DALAI LAMA OF ZEPPELINISM

Quote by Kartman

I look up to you now. I'm serious, I have more respect for you than most Ugers!
i love jefferson airplane

i also saw a video of them and jane?(i dont remebr the girl singers name) was singing into a power cord (like what you plug into a wall
HARDCORE GROUPIE OF THE LENGENDARY ZEPPELINISM
PM The Heartbreaker to join(you should join ) !!

TEH BEST THREAD EVER =]

Quote by DownInAHole.
3 times I've been sigged!

actually four now..^^^
Last edited by Page & friends at Mar 29, 2007,
Grace Slick
I was not offended
Or drown in my own shit.
Great band. I have Surrealistic Pillow and Crown of Creation on vinyl. Sometimes I think I was born too late. I have the soul of a hippie. It's probably good that I live in Austin because that seems to be the only place in Texas that's in line with my musical tastes.
looking to get signed to Pieface Records
Last edited by "Tele" Steve at Mar 29, 2007,
Quote by radio_schizo
Check out this quality video of Jorma and Jack playing together. http://youtube.com/watch?v=kT196UksWxc

Mna, I really need to get a Hot Tuna record. Both their playing is exceptional.

Hot Tuna is awesome. I have a lot of their albums, and they're all great.

I highly recommend checking them out.
I really dig the later stuff they did. Long John Silver showed that Jorma could come up with some really good guitar riffs.
Quote by bong-water
Ya, I really enjoy Jefferson Airplane, and are very underated. My friend only knows them as the band that has the woman who got screwed by Jim Morrison.

I didn´t know that!!! ........... I thought It had been Janis Joplin, I guess my dad was wrong ....... He also told me that Jack Bruce was gay but he said that just to annoy me
Quote by darkstar2466
Heart attack due to cocaine use at an old age. You'll live long, but you'll die just like old Thunderfingers.
It would be awesome to die like my hero, thanks!

Quote by stanleybach
You are going to make a lot of people in this thread very happy.

oh damn
I love JA, got to say their 'Feed Your Head' album is my favourite. Something about that period in time the live recordings just capture something that the studio albums leave out.

Fav song of theirs is probably Embryonic Journey. That sound really is a journey. Wow.
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
I got surrealistic pillow last night, and i must say its amazing
Quote by nexteyenate
+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

leftybassdude's opinion is superior to anyone else's

Member of The Weakerthans Fan Club
PM TechnicolorBoy or maybe_I_am to join
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
Surrealistic Pillow is a good album, but I wouldn't call it my favorite.

And I agree with you, totally, Highbinder, about the live recordings.

Live they sound so much more.. bluesy I guess. More energy, or something.. I dunno.. maybe its just personal preference but I really do prefer the live stuff from that era. I mean The Doors live or The Dead live, or even Zep or the Stones or countless other bands live, so much more incredible than their studio recordings

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
grace slick is an outstanding singer. Somebody to love is an amazing song. that band is great.
I like them black girls, i like them white girls, i like them asian girls, and i like them mixed raced girls
Quote by Highbinder
Live they sound so much more.. bluesy I guess. More energy, or something.. I dunno.. maybe its just personal preference but I really do prefer the live stuff from that era. I mean The Doors live or The Dead live, or even Zep or the Stones or countless other bands live, so much more incredible than their studio recordings

I agree with all except the live Led Zeppelin.

Don't get me wrong-their live material was great-but I think that Jimmy's mastery of the studio allowed him to create an atmosphere of music that was impossible to recreate live with only a single guitar, and for this reason I prefer the band's studio albums to their live ones (though the energy on their live albums is unmatched).
"Bless It's Pointed Little Head" is my favorite. Every time I listen to it I close my eyes and see rainbows. The guitar is sooo heavy and Grace Slick is definitely the best female rock vocalist of the era. When I first saw her in her mini-skirt wailing away I almost had a heart-attack. Wow.
Im just starting to get into them, ive heard songs before, but i just bought the cd Live at the Fillmore East 1969..and i love it.
reach in the darkness for what you can find travel great distance in your mind.
to be brutally honest they are a "meh" like they had so much build up but i just didnt see what people saw in them...white rabbit, somebody to love, and 3/5 of a mile in 10 seconds are their best songs imo...the rest just sounds like filler imo
Quote by rock_and_blues
to be brutally honest they are a "meh" like they had so much build up but i just didnt see what people saw in them...white rabbit, somebody to love, and 3/5 of a mile in 10 seconds are their best songs imo...the rest just sounds like filler imo

If they don't yank your chain the right way then fair enough but IMO you should give them a proper listen. And different people, different tastes but the songs you listed I wouldn't say are their best.

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
I wouldn't call any of their songs their best, though 3/5 of a Mile in 10 Seconds is among my favorites by the band.

However, based upon the song you listed, rock_and_blues, it appears to me as though you've only listened to Surrealistic Pillow, correct?

Also, I can understand where you're coming from; to many people, a lot of material by the band may sound very abstract, and appear as "filler" (especially on their first few albums).

If you don't want to hear those shorter, more "strange" songs, I recommend picking up some of their live albums.
Jefferson Airplane is amazing. <3 White Rabbit is one of my favorite songs ever (its the number one on my top plays on itunes. lol) No one really talks about it, but I really like the song Lather. The first time i heard it i was awed by the sound effects and stuff. I thought it was really cool. Also, A Small Package of Value Will Come to You Shortly is so trippy. Goodness gracious! If you listen to that when you're "out of it"... O.o
Lather is indeed a great song.

I think I said it before in the thread, but Wooden Ships is amazing. I also like Greasy Heart
I was not offended
Or drown in my own shit.
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
Wooden Ships is great, though I personally prefer the Crosby, Stills, and Nash version of the song.
I never really liked Wooden Ships. It's probably my least favorite song off of Volunteers.

Has anyone heard the live version of Good Shepherd where Grace sings lead? I like it way more than the studio version.

Also, epic bump.
I think the solo tab is in the guitar pro tab on this site, I checked it and it doesn´t sound so good, but that normal for guitar pro tabs.....

I have Jefferson Airplane´s Live at Fillmore East, it´s a good CD, though after 10 songs it gets a bit boring.
Embryonic Journey is a great song, I´ll always admire
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuXqiVFnbY8

One of my bands once did a cover of Somebody to love, but to cover that is really hard, since they get a wall of sound with so little strums and still not much distortion.....
What was with Jefferson Starship? Was that the end of Airplane or something?
Quote by hard_rock101
if i started a brutal death metal band, id call it Bleeding Asshole
Quote by abdulalhazred
I really don't know whether I hope this is a troll thread or not....... I mean...either he raped a girl
Or thinks it's ****ing hilarious to joke about it.
He's a monster either way.
I heard a jazz rendition of White Rabbit on the radio last week. It was pretty amazing.
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus