Page 4 of 22
Quote by clay123
isn't sellouts a good thing?

any band would want their gig or album to sell so much they sell out.....

Bands should aim at making good music, not good money.
My favorites are Burn In Hell, Progenies of the Great Apocalypse, and Antikrist (the 2005 recording).

i really don't like black metal, so the only stuff of theirs i like is the stuff that you guys would call "commercially oriented" and "shitty".
I like them quite allot.. and they put a good show I've heard from people and live tracks.
I truly am my own redeemer
Blindly I follow none but myself
Without fear I am
Unhallowed be my name

Myself am hell and hell I shall unleash
I laugh at Thee to scorn
Mock Thy majesty
Pour forth my chalice ov victory
Personally, I liked the newer albums more than the first 1 or 2. Maybe its the sound quality, maybe its the music, I dunno, I just prefer PEM to say....For All Tid. And I also like the new version of Stormblåst, sounds cool. New album should be good.
Meh, Dimmu is okay I guess. Not really the "Tr00" stuff but I like them if I"m in the mood. I guess I would like PEM the best. I like how they put random words together for their album covers
FAN OF EMPEROR ?

Quote by Magero
Theres more of us it wont be long before we you over the world and you can burn all the churchs you want

I'm MAD about Black Metal. Ask me about Church Burnings.
For All Tid and the original Stormblast pwns! But I find their newer stuff meaning Enthroned Darkness Triumphant and later quite boring and cheesy.
I don't think Dimmu sold-out in the least. Satyricon? Yes, especially with Volcano. Cradle of Filth? Shit, I shouldn't even have to answer that. But I think Dimmu has some really unique orchestral textures and they mix things up from song to song. I could name dozens, maybe hundreds, of black metal bands worthy of sharing their underground fame, but seriously...are they that ****ing bad, people? There's MUUUUUCH worse BM bands out there nowadays anyway.
Haven't heard every Dimmu song, but I liked PEM, EDT, Stormblast and what I've heard from the other albums. Also considering that I like it, I don't think they had the intention of selling out.
I've found Jesus
saw them open for Cannibal Corpse, DAMN that keyboardist has some busy fingers
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
Fender Champ 25se (used to power Mesa pre)
Custom 2x12 cab w/ Eminence Texas Heats
Quote by phatsack
saw them open for Cannibal Corpse, DAMN that keyboardist has some busy fingers

Heh, really? I would love to see that, I love Cannibal Corpse too. Wouldn't expect Dimmu to open for them. I think Dimmu chose an inconvenient name for themselves. The fact that it resembles Dummy Burger and the fact that a lot of people seem to find it hilarious when the hundredth person says it, is really quite annoying.

My only "beef" with Dimmu is that they get rid of their bullshit costumes and stop making such lame pics. Maybe 1 or 2 guys out of their most popular promo shot actually look grim, the rest, like galder and their keyboardist look like asshats. But I don't really give a crap about the image, so I guess if they want to look like asshats, then that's up to them.
I've found Jesus
I think evidence that they sold out is they stopped singing in Norwegian. They probably did that to become more commercial.

Also on the re release of Stormblast, they changed alot of the lyrics so they would be less offensive.
Quote by Contraband
Heh, really? I would love to see that, I love Cannibal Corpse too. Wouldn't expect Dimmu to open for them.

actually they weren't really opening for them, it was more of a multi band type act with The Haunted - Lamb of God - Dimmu Borgir - with Cannibal Corpse ending the show.
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
Quote by Contraband

My only "beef" with Dimmu is that they get rid of their bullshit costumes and stop making such lame pics. Maybe 1 or 2 guys out of their most popular promo shot actually look grim, the rest, like galder and their keyboardist look like asshats. But I don't really give a crap about the image, so I guess if they want to look like asshats, then that's up to them.

Your obviously not Krieg But on a lsightly more serious note, I think the key baordist is pretty great and that show seems like I wuld like it alot. All of them were my favorite bands a while ago.

And singing in English is not selling out. Emperor never sold out they rock and will always be the best.
FAN OF EMPEROR ?

Quote by Magero
Theres more of us it wont be long before we you over the world and you can burn all the churchs you want

I think the problem a lot of people have is the actual transition from Norwegian to English, but SOOOOOOOO many BM bands have done that anyway, so who cares? Besides, I think it's fair for a band to pull a move or two in the more commercial direction. It's called "broadening the audience" people.
they speak english?!? JK
really, it doesn't matter too much - it's the music that matters, not what he's talking about
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
Quote by HavenSake
I think the problem a lot of people have is the actual transition from Norwegian to English, but SOOOOOOOO many BM bands have done that anyway, so who cares? Besides, I think it's fair for a band to pull a move or two in the more commercial direction. It's called "broadening the audience" people.

I agree with that. People usually use the term "selling out" in an ignorant way. If you really think about it, if the band never changed it's sound and stayed the same you would lose interest fast. Not many bands have actually sold out. But I think we can all agree with Metallica coming to mind when you hear that phrase. Also, I would like to add that changing there lyrics to english isn't a big deal at all. Most people speak it anyways. It makes listening easier to me in metal, but thats hard to understand I bet.
FAN OF EMPEROR ?

Quote by Magero

If you call the language change selling out, then I think you're looking at it a fairly narrow way. If singing in english would broaden the audience, why wouldn't you do that if you were a band? Because it's not grim and kvlt to go for that approach? If you think music has always been about the music, well even the bands that are grim and kvlt in your book want the money. You would too. As far as I know, good music is good music, and I like Dimmu then and now, so basically if you don't like it, then whatever.
I've found Jesus
Last edited by Contraband at Jan 5, 2007,
yeah, as I've said before, it's all personal opinions. If you truly like the band and sppreciate there music you won't care about what other people say and you won't stop listening to them
FAN OF EMPEROR ?

Quote by Magero

u should check out old mans child it has dimmu borgirs gutarist and its muchhhhhh better
PAYCE
Quote by drummaross1015
u should check out old mans child it has dimmu borgirs gutarist and its muchhhhhh better

Personally, I don't like Old Mans Child.
I've found Jesus
I don't know about you guys, but how about Vortex's vocals? Personally I don't like them, and he's playing a POS BC rich bass to boot. They need Nagash back.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by Your41Plague12
I don't know about you guys, but how about Vortex's vocals? Personally I don't like them, and he's playing a POS BC rich bass to boot. They need Nagash back.

Whoa whoa whoa. DOesn't Vortex sing in Borknagar? How could you not like that band
FAN OF EMPEROR ?

Quote by Magero

Quote by phatsack
actually they weren't really opening for them, it was more of a multi band type act with The Haunted - Lamb of God - Dimmu Borgir - with Cannibal Corpse ending the show.

......... ............ ......You....lucky....bastard....
Quote by Your41Plague12

His BC Rich sounds decent in the live mixes, ergo it's not a POS. And imo his vocals are some of the best cleans in metal. They're an acquired taste definitely, but that's just imo.
Gear:
SX SJB62-5 5-String Fretless Jazz Copy (EADGC)
Ibanez GSR200 4-String Fretted (BEAD)
Ibanez IBZ10B 10 Watt Practice Combo Amp
DR Stainless Steel Lo-Riders
Yamaha Air Cell Straps
I like Vortex's vocals on the studio stuff, but all the live recordings I have of him suck, I'm really hoping he's better actually when you're there.
I love them. I absolutely love them.
For all tid, Enthrone Darkness triumphant, P.E.M and Death cult Armageddon are my favorite albums.
How can someone not like them ? I mean, sure they are very popular , right ? why like them ?
Mustis and Shagrath are amazing composers, especially for the symphonic stuff.
All my credits go to mustis though for Fear and wonder and perfection of vanity. Shagrath gets all my respect for Puritania and all the rest.
I put a dollar in a change machine. Nothing changed.
Yeah, although not my favorite band I do applaud them for their arrangement of musical pieces. I think that they have a great symphonc sound. The only problem I have with bands like that is that they never sound the same live. I"m not sure the case with Dimmu though.

Oh, and Necrolust, your sig made me laugh
FAN OF EMPEROR ?

Quote by Magero

i absolutely love anything they have done, exept for the rerecording of stormblast, they just should have made a new album.. i kinda liked the original release
but i can understand why they felt like that they had to for the poor quality..
PEM is just great, these drums kick ass!!!
every man dies, not every man really lives

Originally Posted by Guitarplaya27
god so all those weird noises on those songs were bass...

jesus christ i like them
What Dimmu Borgir album should I get first? I'm leaning toward Death Cult Armageddon. I heard a few songs and I really like what the orchestra adds to the sound. What do you guys think?
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
This is one of my fiance's favorite bands, so I have to put up with them quite a lot. There is definately worse out there, that's for sure. This band have their moments though, just not in the previous 10 years haha.
Shadilay.
I like the symphonic stuff but other then that it just seems so forced. The band members (except for Galder because in Old Man's Child he's great) annoy me. Especially Shargrath. He is among the ranks of Dani Filth to me.
I'm hoping to see them April 30th.

Kings of the Carnival Creation

Quote by Magero
I like Vortex's vocals on the studio stuff, but all the live recordings I have of him suck, I'm really hoping he's better actually when you're there.

He can pull them off. Check out some of this work with Arcturus. I think it's just difficult to get that high when playing bass at the same time.
I just don't like how black metal gets mainstream, then sells out. I used to love this band, I still listen to them, but it attracts idiots who want to be gR1m.
FAN OF EMPEROR ?

Quote by Magero

Mourning Palace and Spellbound

I have EDT, PEM, DCA and Stormblast (2005)

Good band. But like most bands I like some of there songs more than others.
Quote by CaptainOfSmug
I just don't like how black metal gets mainstream, then sells out. I used to love this band, I still listen to them, but it attracts idiots who want to be gR1m.
I'd like to point out the fact that there's a difference between 'selling out' and 'getting popular'.
Yeah, but they did
FAN OF EMPEROR ?

Quote by Magero

Quote by CaptainOfSmug
Yeah, but they did

If they didn't get popular I somehow doubt that you'd say that.
I've found Jesus