slinks
Bastard in a Basket
443 IQ
I've noticed that Donovan gets no recognition around here, hence the thread. The ridiculous thing is, most people know him and aren't even aware of it ("Mellow Yellow"). Discuss whatever, anything to do with this great songwriter, whether it be favorite songs or anything else involving Donovan.
Last edited by slinks at Nov 13, 2005,
vampwizzard
UG's random associate
423 IQ
yeah.. atlantis is a great song.. hes more of a poet than a musician though.. owell.
me_and_my_esp
Roger = HOTT
25 IQ
i never heard of him, until you said Mellow Yellow i suck
*Member of Teenage Wasteland Club*(working to inform the un-informed)

Cofounder of the "official band/artist obsessors club" as a who obsessor pm me,

mem no 2 of the Who fan club, PM me.

www.myspace.com/rogerdaltreysgirlfriend
deadhead313313
UG's Official Deadhead
333 IQ
Yeah, I tried to make a thread about him a while back, didn't go anywhere. I love him. Saw him this summer actually, still got it. Voice hasn't changed a bit
slinks
Bastard in a Basket
443 IQ
^That's awesome, I'd love to see him live. Does he tour a lot?
deadhead313313
UG's Official Deadhead
333 IQ
I have no idea. He came out with a new CD (Beat Cafe), he may have done a promotional tour or something. I saw him at the Taste of Minnesotia sometime in early July.
Rhinosaur Bones
89 IQ
I've tried listening to him but he just sounds too much like a poor-man's Dylan or Beatles. I'm probably completely wrong about him though, like so many other things.
HendrixEdge
absolute bastard(s)...
185 IQ
Quote by danocaster
Hurdy Gurdy Man kicks ass

Indeed it does.
Incisive inklings of proper piss are unsuited for the quill…
Liam Alan
Come on feet
355 IQ
He is in Dylan's documentary "Don't Look Back" a bit. He had some really great songs on there. He and Dylan were in a room playing songs for each other. It was really awesome.
Quote by Fallon, Jones & Sage Francis

"By the way my name is Marcus. But if you like you can call me Sensei."

American Idol - or as I call it, the Gong Show Rip-Off

According to #Yeezuz, Kanye West is a god. As if I needed more reasons to be an atheist.
bluebandit
Comes in 31 Flavors
46 IQ
Quote by deadhead313313
I have no idea. He came out with a new CD (Beat Cafe), he may have done a promotional tour or something. I saw him at the Taste of Minnesotia sometime in early July.

How was it? I was thinking of going to see him play on Friday but its a little bit of a drive.
Look Ma, No Sig!!!
GrungeMetalFan
170 IQ
He's ok, I like some of his song but if I listen to him too long it makes me want to kill myself.
Founder of the "It's spelled Lynyrd Skynyrd fan club". PM me to join.

Proud member of the Libertarians R' Us Club
deadhead313313
UG's Official Deadhead
333 IQ
Quote by bluebandit
How was it? I was thinking of going to see him play on Friday but its a little bit of a drive.

It was quite good. When I saw him, he did pretty much all his old, famous songs, and one or two new ones. I thought he was great. Sounds as good as ever. It was definately worth it
Variable
words words words words
80 IQ
Meh. I think he's got a few good songs and alot of crappy ones, but I've only heard him in passing.
SWLABR
Have you seen the Bridge?
927 IQ
Quote by Rhinosaur Bones
I've tried listening to him but he just sounds too much like a poor-man's Dylan or Beatles. I'm probably completely wrong about him though, like so many other things.

you are wrong, though not completely. His first few albums were in the pure folk ilk, but starting with sunshine superman he came into his own as one of the, for lack of a better word, "inventors" of the hippy generation. He then branched into a very different, yet amazingly wonderful form of folk/hippy rock. He's in my top four favorite artists of all time, look into anything between '65 and '71.
Keep the change, pimps don't jangle
Andrewbiles
11,161 IQ
We were going to go and see him at the Jazz Cafe on my mum's birthday, but she didn't want to go in the end.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Derigiberble
UG's Prosthetic Vagina
2,308 IQ
Quote by andrewbiles
We were going to go and see him at the Jazz Cafe on my mum's birthday, but she didn't want to go in the end.

I'd have punched her in the face for that.
Quote by CornLord
Derigiberble would win in a fight against any UGer, n00b or not, just because most people on the site can't help but love him/her.

Get, Get, Get, Get, Get Out And Push.
Sherman901
UG Senior Member
320 IQ
Donovan is pretty cool. I have one of his best of with 2 cds and it's incredibly hippy-ish. He's a good songwriter, I just need to listen to him more.
Quote by primusucks
"i am so proud that by chance i am living in a place that during a territorial divide it got the largest mass of land."

hey texas, nobody cares.
VR05
Miracle Train Fan
361 IQ
I have just gotten into him today actually, I was glad i found a thread about him... I was watching music choice and Hurdy Gurdy Man came on and i was like whoa, i love this stuff.. so i downloaded some songs. I am probly gonna go out this weekend and get a CD or 2... any suggestions? I know The Hurdy Gurdy Man, Greatest Hits, Sunshine Superman are good.. but any thing i should get?
Trey is a Jedi.

Co-Founder of the Ten Years After Fan Club. PM me or TheHeartbreaker to join.

Member of the Grateful Dead Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join.

Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join.
Dan Steinman
279 IQ
hehe i like him, some nice songs, definitely. saw him live, too, put on a good show, but i was mostly waiting for the next act, dick dale! dick dale was great.
Andrewbiles
11,161 IQ
Quote by Derigiberble
I'd have punched her in the face for that.

and I'dve punched you back
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Derigiberble
UG's Prosthetic Vagina
2,308 IQ
Quote by andrewbiles
and I'dve punched you back

Mummy's boy
Quote by CornLord
Derigiberble would win in a fight against any UGer, n00b or not, just because most people on the site can't help but love him/her.

SWLABR
Have you seen the Bridge?
927 IQ
I recommend the albums Hurdy Gurdy Man, Barabajagal and Open Road. lots of others too, but you have to get really into him since their very unique and take a big fan to truly appreciate them. Like A Gift From a Flower to a Garden, my personal favorite.
Keep the change, pimps don't jangle
sirpsycho85
selfstyled voice o reason
858 IQ
don't like anything i've heard by him. pamela jo is kinda catchy, but nothing else made me say, this guy's good. whatever, he taught john lennon how to fingerpick in the style john used to write Julia, so he was good for something.
"I see my light come shining from the west down to the east
Any day now, any day now I shall be released"

Know any good teachers in NY, especially skilled in teaching ear training? Tell me
ledhead73
Defender of Good Music
14 IQ
Derigiberble you'll love this. Jimmy Page is actually the guitarist on Donovan's Hurdy Gurdy Man. Thought you ought to know if you didn't already.
I am Zosoian II, Archbishop of Bron-Yr-Aur, and Cardinal of Zeppelinism.

PM TheHeartbreaker to join Zeppelinism.

Long Live the Hammer of the Gods!
Derigiberble
UG's Prosthetic Vagina
2,308 IQ
Quote by ledhead73
Derigiberble you'll love this. Jimmy Page is actually the guitarist on Donovan's Hurdy Gurdy Man. Thought you ought to know if you didn't already.

Yeah I know
Quote by CornLord

JackWhite1988
UG Addict
309 IQ
I have the 2 disc Troubadour greatest hits. All I plan on buying. He's alright once in awhile. He's very soft, but a few of those songs he had some good musicians playing with him. I believe John Paul Jones, Jimmy Page and John Bonham played on one of his hits. Hurdy Gurdy Man I think.
Bow down to the king....the King of Kings