Page 1 of 2
Gabuydachk
443 IQ
I was browsing the forum the other day and noticed Resiliance's sig:
"If you really play your guitar with attitude and you don't care about any rules or boundaries that are temporarily set up by commercial considerations, then you're a shredder."
Who do you think is a shredder that follows this definition, but doesn't play fast?

'tis life
flytv12
UG's Carvin Supporter
494 IQ
Jimi Hendrix, I know he is really overrated but he was good and he did follow that definition exaclty, he was the first musician to ever be associated with the term heavy metal.
kevinm4435
UG's Man of Tain
276 IQ
The Edge was the first person to come to mind for me.
Tiger style.
Evil_Empire24-7
UG Freak
3,043 IQ
anyone can play fast , but people don't show off like steve vai and yngwie , it's like satch he doesn't get half of the money vai gets cause he doesn't show off.
Quote by Jimi Hendrix
The Blues Is Easy To Play But Hard To Feel.

Quote by Chris Impellitteri
I Promise That My Solos Will Only Get Faster.

The Mahavishnu Orchestra (Greatest Rock Ensemble 1971 - 1973)

[[Practice Makes Perfect]]

[[Hell Yeah]]
Erc
UG's ultimate asshole
670 IQ
WTF evil-empire? How do you know Vai's and Satches annual wages? Dumbass.

If by putting on a good show you mean showing off, then all 3 do it moron.
Evil_Empire24-7
UG Freak
3,043 IQ
^just hold it steady man ,why u flame at me ?
Quote by Jimi Hendrix

[[Hell Yeah]]
Archaon
Minister of Sin
324 IQ
Quote by Evil_Empire24-7
anyone can play fast , but people don't show off like steve vai and yngwie , it's like satch he doesn't get half of the money vai gets cause he doesn't show off.

Are you mentally retarded? Anyone can play fast? Yea, if they practice a lot. Steve vai showing off? Yea I guess you could say that, then again, what's wrong with that? It pleases the audience, and most (if not all) of the time his shredding sounds good rather than a bunch of notes flying off the neck.
And how the hell do you know how much they make?

What the hell is wrong with you?
xxgenocide98xx
UG Nerd
2,117 IQ
ATTN IDIOTS:::

This thread is not about ****ing shredders. Its about reliance's sig and who you think would fit the category. I'm pretty sure its geared towards people who ARENT considered 'shredders' and its not supposed to be some big arguement about vai vs satch vs yngwie vs bob dole.

I suggest you guys go and delete your posts before I go flag them for spam, because its off-topic.

IMO hendrix, zappa and I actually think some metal guitarists would fit, but I don't feel like remembering names and throwing them around. I'm thinking Cryptopsy and Sleep Terror here.
DeathDealer
UG's citizen Kane
168 IQ
non shredding shredders?? Marty Friedman comes to mind these days...his latest stuff has been bluesy,jazzy deals. Paul Gilbert has also gone pretty rock n rolly
DeathDealer
UG's citizen Kane
168 IQ
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
ATTN IDIOTS:::

This thread is not about ****ing shredders. Its about reliance's sig and who you think would fit the category. I'm pretty sure its geared towards people who ARENT considered 'shredders' and its not supposed to be some big arguement about vai vs satch vs yngwie vs bob dole.

I suggest you guys go and delete your posts before I go flag them for spam, because its off-topic.

IMO hendrix, zappa and I actually think some metal guitarists would fit, but I don't feel like remembering names and throwing them around. I'm thinking Cryptopsy and Sleep Terror here.

actually,to quote the thread starter:
"Who do you think is a shredder that follows this definition, but doesn't play fast?"

so it is in fact about shredders
DeathDealer
UG's citizen Kane
168 IQ
Quote by Axegrinder#9

more in keeping with the message in Resi's sig, I'd go with guys like Robert Fripp, Tom Morello...

but the confine themselves to what is comercial
ukdudeinuk
SUPREME PANT MASTER
540 IQ
Tom doesnt confine himself to what is commerical, if he did, he wouldnt find all those weird sounds to use. I mean, is experimentation and finding new things encouraged? NO! Therefore, in my opinion, Tom Morello does not fit those boundaries as mentioned in Resi's sig.
Gabuydachk
443 IQ
oh, i forgot to give my reply
Frank Zappa, Omar Rodriguez-Lopez, Fred Frith, David Fiuczynski (although he can shred when needed), Tom Morello, countless jazzers, Derek Bailey

Also, here's another thought. Who are the ones who play fast and "shred," but don't follow the definition in Resiliance's sig?

'tis life
Last edited by Gabuydachk at Nov 19, 2005,
ukdudeinuk
SUPREME PANT MASTER
540 IQ
So shredding while adhering to commercial restrictions? Who does that fit? I can think of noone.
The UG Squirrel
247 IQ
For me its Dave Gilmour, Friedman, a few metal guitarists and lots of jazzers.
Deadly badgers made my weed
Mascot
UG Addict
894 IQ
Quote by Evil_Empire24-7

Uhh, Resi!
Resiliance
Acta est fabula
449 IQ
Trying to find people adherent to my signature is pretty useless....

It's not trying to get that message across, it's more of a stab at the term "shredder" and how it's use is so ...

You guessed it.

Useless.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
apocalypse13
<3 Nile and Marty
686 IQ
^Aren't most things?
Quote by hepzibahbaptist
Yeah listen to Apoc. He knows what he's talking about.

Quote by hepzibahbaptist
I figured you were going to sig that. And this if you have any sense of humor what so ever.

Founder of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM me or altronataku to join
Punk as atticus
Shreddin' Legend
727 IQ
alexi laiho came to mind, cause he's like a shredder but he doesn't make shred music, insane and talented guitarist he is.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
- Jimi Hendrix
mercedesisbenz
Cissy Strut
1,293 IQ
Quote by Evil_Empire24-7

i dont go to steve vai concerts for him to stand around and be modest.
Follow me on instagram @createdaily
SilentDeftone
UG God
1,733 IQ
Quote by Evil_Empire24-7

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
hahahaha

-SD
pavan
stunt guitar
210 IQ
Vai ? Since when did Vai start showing off ?
"Physics is like sex. Sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it." - Richard Feynman
Tarakoch
Don Pardo Pimpwagon
21 IQ
What about Django ?
Talent = Technical skill. Hail any band with lightning-speed solos for their immense talent.
apocalypse13
<3 Nile and Marty
686 IQ
Quote by pavan
Vai ? Since when did Vai start showing off ?

Vai is actually a suck-up to lesser guitarists, just because he doesn't like to show off. He just likes to play guitar, and happens to be very good at it.

Honestly, would you rather hear Vai playing mainstream rock, or the shred which he plays so wonderfully?
Quote by hepzibahbaptist

Quote by hepzibahbaptist
I figured you were going to sig that. And this if you have any sense of humor what so ever.

JimiSlashPage
UG's Friend with Benefits
133 IQ
Slash came to mind for me.
Quote by grimreaper65
Har har har. Go stuff your panties with toads and then masturbate.

Ahh, I love the Pit.

Quote by SilentDeftone
I don't need to report you, I can just ban you instead.

-SD

Owned!
apocalypse13
<3 Nile and Marty
686 IQ
^Yeah, but don't you think he is mainstream?

Gn'R= Huge in the eighties, VR= huge now

That violates the rules, but I suppose he is a bit different, not many mainstream bands do solos anymore besides him.

Marty Friedman's solo albums, Cacophony work, and Rust in Peace definitely fit the criteria. Chris Poland's work does too. Tony Iommi, Jimi Hendrix, Adrian Smith, Dave Murray, K.K. Downing, and Glen Tipton are some that come to mind for me.
Quote by hepzibahbaptist

Quote by hepzibahbaptist

wil
..but Teles are better
208 IQ
Slash- although not capable of shredding like Vai- is SOOO unique, even when he rose to fame, when everyone else was sweeping themselves into tendonitis, and tapping themselves silly, he forged ahead with an HONEST, simple and soulful style. The same goes for The Edge. BTW, I saw Slash on tv the other night doing a Hendrix tribute with Steve Winwood, Mitch Mitchell and Billy Cox, they played Hey Joe and it was awesome-Slash was so restrained and his soloing was brilliant.

Also, im pretty sure Satch makes more than Vai, Surfing With the Alien is the best selling instrumental guitar album ever, Satch's work is-arguably- more consistent and commercial=-while still being miles away from the mainstream.
Thank God im an atheist
wil
..but Teles are better
208 IQ
I said slash couldnt shred like Vai and becker could outplay slash. What's your point. youve only been playing a year and a half and you can own slash apparently.
Thank God im an atheist
wil
..but Teles are better
208 IQ
Slash cant play like Vai, but then vAI Ccant play like Slash, sure he could hit all the notes, probably even play a lot of it cleaner, but it aint the same, Slash's chops arent the best in the world, but his feel, his tone, the whole thing just...works.
Thank God im an atheist
Smokey Amp
Run.Stop.Fierce.
1,077 IQ
Mark Tremonti. Batio tutored him...He can shred, very well. He just doesn't.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
public property
Steve Vai
302 IQ
I think vai sounds like hes playing the notes as opposed to the guitar, but the notes are written with all sorts of funny expressive stuff that goes with the tune.
I bet he probably transcribe the animal in live at the astoria and put 'play with hat on and funny glasses' at the top as performance notes.

Anyway non shredding shredders. Zappa, thats all I can think of out of my knowledge.
Originally posted by TapMaster
If you break a JEM you know your going to go to hell when you die

Only member of the 'This is too immature for me' club.
Evil_Empire24-7
UG Freak
3,043 IQ
jason becker is crazy in theory.
Quote by Jimi Hendrix

[[Hell Yeah]]