I have an amp that on the lead channel has a pre and post gain controls. I feel like a total noob asking this but, how do i use these? I think that pre gain is like a gain control and post gain is like a volume control? Is this right, or am i completely wrong?
Quote by GBMan
It's about as loud as a pidgeon being crushed by a chair.

Guitars:
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Stratocustic
Austin Flametop Deluxe
Regal Acoustic

Amps:
Vox AD50VT
Peavey Rage 158
hell if i know, my amp has those switches too i just turn mine all the way up. i like the way it sounds
Pre-gain is distortion/overdrive control, and post gain is basically volume. Pre-gain controls the pre-amp distortion, and vice versa for post-gain. I think.
"Love your country always, but respect your government only when it deserves it."
-Mark Twain

batman rocks
^ i don't think you understand how to use vice versa.
the pre gain controls the input gain (ie. overdrive/distortion) the post gain controls the ouptut volume (ie. master volume)
Quote by Jeffthecedar
Pre-gain is distortion/overdrive control, and post gain is basically volume. Pre-gain controls the pre-amp distortion, and vice versa for post-gain. I think.

yea usually theyre on tube amps. the pre-gain just controls how much you drive the preamp tubes. since the preamp tubes don't affect the volume of an amp this is why you can get that real cruchy distorted sound. before they made the preamp circuit (several decades ago), the only way to get a distorted overdriven sound was to drive the POWER-amp tubes. but in this case, power amp tubes increase the power(go figure) hence the volume goes up. now since the preamp and post amp are on separate cicruits you can control both. the post-gain will still contribute some distortion when u get to a high volume like they have always done in the past (this is assuming you're using a tube and not some solid state amp that theyve taped those labels on.)
Yea well im using one of the supposed "TransTube" line of peavey amps.
Quote by GBMan

Guitars:
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Stratocustic
Austin Flametop Deluxe
Regal Acoustic

Amps:
Vox AD50VT
Peavey Rage 158
yea they try to make that line look as "tube-like" as possible so they stick those labels on just to make them seem like they behave like tube amps when they really don't. so yea in that case theyre really just using fancy terms for "distortion" and "volume." but hey at least now you know why they did it
So would u recommend using the amp distortion or my DS7 Distortion pedal. If you suggest the pedal, could you explain how to use it effectivly?
Quote by GBMan

Guitars:
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Stratocustic
Austin Flametop Deluxe
Regal Acoustic

Amps:
Vox AD50VT
Peavey Rage 158
it depends on what u like more. hell u could even use em both together if ur really hungry for gain. zakk wylde does it. he has a moderate gain setting on his amp while runs a pedal through it full out. or if u like ur amps distortion more stick the amp on full and jsut a little on the pedal. but it just depends on what ur going for
^true...but he uses an overdrive pedal to drive a tube amp....distortion pedals over SS amps distortion usually dont sound too hot
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Because when I was younger I would wrap dollar bills around my wang while masturbating to get that extra dirty feeling.

Even though I quit doing it, it still turns me on when I see money.

Http://magnumman.dmusic.com