Page 1 of 4
Habukkuk
Youth Pastor
377 IQ
Has anyone heard this live album? Its awesome!

The first song is like Stevie Ray's So Excited in that its a pretty groovy up tempo jam in A (albeit not an instrumental)

The second song has a sick riff that can only be describe by:

----------------------------------------
--2--2------------------------------------
--2--2------------------------------------
--2--2---------4s5s4p0h2p0---------0- 0-
----------0h4--------------------0h4---2- 2--
------------------------------------------3--3

followed by some great blues such as Gravity, a Ray Charles cover - I Got A Woman, and about 5 other amazing songs.

Mayer Trio = my new favorite band.
"If you tried to give rock and roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'."
- John Lennon
benjaminr
UG Fanatic
414 IQ
mayer trio = stupid because they try to act like a jazz group when really they are not even close.
Gear:

ESP EX-102
Marshall AVT150 Half-Stack
i_strum_i_drum
398 IQ
^because you listen to so much blues

i haven't heard it yet. can't wait to.
benjaminr
UG Fanatic
414 IQ
Quote by i_strum_i_drum
^because you listen to so much blues

i haven't heard it yet. can't wait to.

just because I don't have blues and jazz bands listed in my favorite bands doesn't mean I don't listen to and play it. I also wasn't saying it didn't have elements of blues, I was saying that they try to put out the image of being a jazz band when they are lacking in the most important elements present in almost any jazz group.
Gear:

ESP EX-102
i_strum_i_drum
398 IQ
1. you don't say why they are missing the "most important elements of blues" as you so vaguely state. they have emotion. they have talent. they aren't "acting".

2. jazz and blues are not interchangeable.

"mayer trio=stupid..."
anything that closed-minded or immature isn't something worth hearing justification for.
benjaminr
UG Fanatic
414 IQ
Once again, never said they didn't have some elements of blues, said they were missing the vital elements of a jazz band which is what they try to portray themselves as as in,
1) Songs are written ahead of time, jazz music is almost entirely improvised other than the basic composition of chord changes etc.
2) Songs are recorded one track at a time rather than the group as a whole as a jazz band would do
3) Doesn't swing
4) Lyrical singing is pretty uncommon in jazz nowadays

-Having emotion and talent may make you a good band but it does not make you a jazz group.

That's just a few things i can pick up by listening to one song

and if you didn't notice i wasn't saying jazz and blues were interchangeable, I said they have some blues elements but are missing vital jazz elements.
Gear:

ESP EX-102
Last edited by benjaminr at Nov 28, 2005,
i_strum_i_drum
398 IQ
you say they are missing vital jazz elements, eh?
well maybe they aren't trying to be jazz at all!
and in fact are "trying" to be blues!
benjaminr
UG Fanatic
414 IQ
they wouldn't call themselves the john mayer trio if they weren't trying to act jazz. He does use a lot of jazz voicings.
Gear:

ESP EX-102
i_strum_i_drum
398 IQ
Quote by benjaminr
they wouldn't call themselves the john mayer trio if they weren't trying to act jazz. He does use a lot of jazz voicings.

what the hell do you base that on?
is that some strange superstition?

you are paranoid about this whole jazz thing.
Habukkuk
Youth Pastor
377 IQ
this is why i check this board less and less often. Some moron comes on and makes stupid criticisms that really don't make sense and that no one really cares about.
"If you tried to give rock and roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'."
- John Lennon
Mascot
UG Addict
894 IQ
benjaminr, how exactly are they 'stupid'? I've yet to hear much from the Trio, so please, tell me how they are acting like a jazz group.

So they don't do the stereotypical things a group in that genre would - big whoop. If people didn't break out of the ordinary and do something new, imagine where music would be.
INDUSTRIALMETAL
What is that noise?
133 IQ
Although I have heard very little from this record, what I have hard I enjoy. Next time I see it at the record story I'll probably buy it.
Don't be derivative. Explore...
agreth_3rd
The Wanderer
204 IQ
you are all going to hate me for saying this, but I prefer their old stuff. I love john mayers blues guitar skills but I don't rate the actual songs. I think he writes better pop songs and I also think his voice is better suited to pop. benjamininr clearly has no idea what he's talking about haha.
Encore_God
UG Legend
849 IQ
Quote by agreth_3rd
you are all going to hate me for saying this, but I prefer their old stuff. I love john mayers blues guitar skills but I don't rate the actual songs. I think he writes better pop songs and I also think his voice is better suited to pop. benjamininr clearly has no idea what he's talking about haha.

I agree. I'm sick of little white boys with roughed up voices and top-end Strats getting all the attention when there's a million ace artists out there who never get a shred of attention.
Encore God & Asomodai- UG JHS Brotherhood

Encore God: fighting UG Zeppelin-centrism since 2002.
Derigiberble
UG's Prosthetic Vagina
2,308 IQ
Quote by Encore_God
I agree. I'm sick of little white boys with roughed up voices and top-end Strats getting all the attention when there's a million ace artists out there who never get a shred of attention.

awww thats me screwed

i knew i should never have bought a strat

john mayer = teh suck
Quote by CornLord
Derigiberble would win in a fight against any UGer, n00b or not, just because most people on the site can't help but love him/her.

Get, Get, Get, Get, Get Out And Push.
Encore_God
UG Legend
849 IQ
Quote by Derigiberble
awww thats me screwed

i knew i should never have bought a strat

john mayer = teh suck

If we ever meet, I will buy you a LOT of beers.

SickMetal
I'm But A Wave To...
123 IQ
What, now any "trio" is a band that's trying to be jazz? That's ridiculous. Mayer is going for Blues here. If he uses jazz voicings or whatever, that's obviously to give his music some interesting elements. It doesn't mean that he's trying to be jazz if it's a trio with a few jazz chords.

I'm looking foward to hearing this album. I heard a song from the Crossroads DVD that came out last year and I've wanted to hear Mayer put out some blues material ever since. I'll get to hear this record at some point, sounds awesome!
rapeme
164 IQ
well got the cd and i think its great. Watever genre the trio is it still is good music.
not looking back but i want to look around.
Derigiberble
UG's Prosthetic Vagina
2,308 IQ
Quote by Encore_God
If we ever meet, I will buy you a LOT of beers.

don't say that, i can hold my drink
Quote by CornLord
Derigiberble would win in a fight against any UGer, n00b or not, just because most people on the site can't help but love him/her.

Get, Get, Get, Get, Get Out And Push.
Gabuydachk
443 IQ
from the one song I've heard, he's good and I would like to hear more

'tis life
dr_john
yer blues
278 IQ
Quote by Encore_God

yeah encore i agree as well, kenny wayne shepherd is another prime example of this syndrome.

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
GenreConfused
Lonely Thinker
280 IQ
I just watched the concert videos on AOL Music, and he was pretty impressive. I would reccommend this viewing to everyone.
Encore_God
UG Legend
849 IQ
Quote by dr_john
yeah encore i agree as well, kenny wayne shepherd is another prime example of this syndrome.

I disagree. Kenny is ace. Its people like Wes Jeans, Trey Tosh or that Eric Steckel kid that irritate me....

lessthanthree
working class hero
41 IQ
Quote by benjaminr

That is a very very stupid comment. Are the Alkaline Trio attempting to be a Jazz band...I think not.
Habukkuk
Youth Pastor
377 IQ
How about the 'We Play Death Metal Trio' (ok I just made that up but you get my point)
- John Lennon
StratRat13
eh
425 IQ
Quote by Encore_God
I disagree. Kenny is ace. Its people like Wes Jeans, Trey Tosh or that Eric Steckel kid that irritate me....

Trey Tosh makes me want to shoot myself.
Love in technicolour, sprayed out on walls
Well I've been pounding at the pavement
'Til there's nothing at all
I got my cloak and dagger
In a bar room brawl
See the local loves a fighter
Loves a winner to fall
WyldeGibsonPlyr
-
1,932 IQ
No shit. It was even better when it was actually Live, it was on last Wensday, you guys should have watched it.
StratRat13
eh
425 IQ
Quote by WyldeGibsonPlyr
No shit. It was even better when it was actually Live, it was on last Wensday, you guys should have watched it.

Effin hockey.......
Love in technicolour, sprayed out on walls
Well I've been pounding at the pavement
'Til there's nothing at all
I got my cloak and dagger
In a bar room brawl
See the local loves a fighter
Loves a winner to fall
The Master Plan
UG's Wah *****
1,392 IQ
I'm thinking about going to my local Hastings and picking this cd up,because I got one of his song "Vultures" and his tone personally I think is amazing.Also to the people that own this cd is there any licks or riffs that stand out in this album?
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
WyldeGibsonPlyr
-
1,932 IQ
John has some godlike tone, then again he does have quite the amp selection + the best guitars in the universe, a la Stratocasters.

Plenty of riffage on this record! Song's like Who Did You Think I Was, Try, Gravity, Another Kind of Green, etc. I also enjoy the riffage in Vultures, like yourself. John's voice in that tune is great as well.
Desk Jocky
Theorist in Training
106 IQ
Quote by WyldeGibsonPlyr
John has some godlike tone, then again he does have quite the amp selection + the best guitars in the universe, a la Stratocasters.

Plenty of riffage on this record! Song's like Who Did You Think I Was, Try, Gravity, Another Kind of Green, etc. I also enjoy the riffage in Vultures, like yourself. John's voice in that tune is great as well.

I love the new album and my favorite song is "Another kind of Green". Awesome.... He is on his way to being a great bluesman
TNfootballfan62
Mr. Blue
1,943 IQ
I finally got this album, and it isn't bad. Not exactly all i was hoping for out of him, but good, nonetheless. There isn't a whole lot of pure, straightforward blues, and that disappoints me a little bit. One of the purely blues songs, "Out of My Mind," is good, but it sounds strikingly similar to something that BB King would play to me. Don't get me wrong, i love my BB King, but i just dont think he was original enough with that song.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Habukkuk
Youth Pastor
377 IQ
oh man, i totally agree on the 'out of my mind' thing. very unoriginal. i was dissapointed in that because mayer is one heckuva songwriter and I was expecting him to bring something more original to the slow blues.

good love is on the way has two really solid riffs in it, and is my favorite on the album.
- John Lennon
dr_john
yer blues
278 IQ
just got the album, havn't heard it all the way through yet but from what i have heard it sounds like john is on the right track at last.

loads better than the poppy stuff from his previous albums, i really think this one is going to be one of those albums that grows on you the more you hear it. must burn a copy for the car for the journey into work.....
- Jimi Hendrix
Desk Jocky
Theorist in Training
106 IQ
Quote by dr_john
just got the album, havn't heard it all the way through yet but from what i have heard it sounds like john is on the right track at last.

loads better than the poppy stuff from his previous albums, i really think this one is going to be one of those albums that grows on you the more you hear it. must burn a copy for the car for the journey into work.....

Yeah it definately grows on you. I have really begun to like "Gravity".... good stuff.
dr_john
yer blues
278 IQ
Quote by Desk Jocky
Yeah it definately grows on you. I have really begun to like "Gravity".... good stuff.

yeah 'gravity' really is a track that stands out even on first hearing.

in general, how does he get that classic hendrix tone? obviously with a strat, anyone got any idea about pickups, amp, effects???

- Jimi Hendrix
TNfootballfan62
Mr. Blue
1,943 IQ
^^^I think he uses pickups called big dippers or something like that. That's all i know.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...