Page 1 of 2
Greenfinger182
Drunk Dancin'
2,682 IQ
I am an immense fan of the early Goldfinger Punk/Ska (especially Hang-Ups, a pure ska album), but unfortunately they have decreased in my music interest, because I, for one, have found their newer music to be a total opposite of the music I once loved.

Does anyone else share these opinions? In a way I can't really denounce these guys because of my love for their on-stage antics (craziness), but at the same time I can't belive the kind of direction they've been going in recently. I enjoyed Stomping Ground, despite the obvious change of pace in their usual style of music. Open Your Eyes was pushing it for me - despite a few good songs some sounded like a song you'd expect from Simple Plan. Now, finally, all hope I have had in them has shattered, with their 'Disconnection Notice' CD. I'm not trying to say the CD isn't any good, but not for those who enjoyed the stuff some might classify in the 'Punk' genre.

The only other hard topic I'm finding is that (supposedly) John Feldman is producing Hillary Duff's newest CD. In a way I want to burn some CDs where he seemed a rebel from these types of things, but another side of me takes sympathy towards his antics - I mean, he has a wife now, and maybe even a kid, I'm not sure. He has to make money, I realize, but you'd think he might do it in a different way.

Sorry for the brief rant, but I just wanted to see if any GoldFinger fans from this site felt the same way about their current downfall.

Thanks for any discussion,
Mike
They say the old woman's got the wisdom
'Cause she couldn't read the clock anymore
She said "The numbers don't represent the moments"
Says she don't see what all the ticking's for
Greenfinger182
Drunk Dancin'
2,682 IQ
*Sigh* It's a genre closely related to punk and raggae.
edibledevilboy
253 IQ
Are you serious? Well it's good ur finally learning, Surfgreen... and it's pronounced Skah. Listen to it too, tis greaty
DisgruntledDuck
Crime Solving Plumber.
178 IQ
Greenfinger, I couldn't agree more. I do still love them lots, I mean the self titled album and Hang Ups always has a loving place in my ska/ska-punk/reggae collection. However, Disconnection Notice-bar two songs for me-was a huge let down. I reviewed it for the site, and was probably too kind on it. I'm hoping with the next album, Goldfinger can do a whole "return to our roots" thang, but that's hihgly unlikely. Especially since John Feldman is on a vegan/pop punk cd producing crusade. *Sigh* But there's always other bands. I'd still go to see them in concert if they ever came back to the UK.
Quote by BlackLuster
DisgruntledDuck, I wish there were more people like you in the world.

Quote by Jaimz
You Sir, have my utmost respect

I have Jaimz' utmost respect and BlackLuster wishes that there were more people like me in the world!
Iluvpowerchords
Flau-BEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR
1,364 IQ
Every Time I hear Superman I get nostalgic and I want to play the Tony Hawks Pro skater pizza hut demo again

Anyway, Goldfinger's early work is damn good but I stopped caring eventually, not because of their descent into pop punk (there is nothing wrong with pop punk), but just because I lost intrest in Goldfinger's stuff.

I can relate though, I loooooove Less Than Jake even though they never were a true Ska band and the fact that most of the Punk/Ska community frowns upon them; kinda like they frown upon goldfinger.
DisgruntledDuck
Crime Solving Plumber.
178 IQ
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
Every Time I hear Superman I get nostalgic and I want to play the Tony Hawks Pro skater pizza hut demo again

Anyway, Goldfinger's early work is damn good but I stopped caring eventually, not because of their descent into pop punk (there is nothing wrong with pop punk), but just because I lost intrest in Goldfinger's stuff.

I can relate though, I loooooove Less Than Jake even though they never were a true Ska band and the fact that most of the Punk/Ska community frowns upon them; kinda like they frown upon goldfinger.

I totally dig what you're saying about THPS and the pro pop-punk thing(I too like it), but to be honest, I always considered Less Than Jake to be "more ska" than Goldfinger. I dunno really, I've just always categorised Less Than Jake as ska-punk until Anthem.
Quote by BlackLuster
DisgruntledDuck, I wish there were more people like you in the world.

Quote by Jaimz
You Sir, have my utmost respect

I have Jaimz' utmost respect and BlackLuster wishes that there were more people like me in the world!
Warm-And-Fuzzy
Ihatepunkrock/ithatesme
162 IQ
Quote by Greenfinger182

To be the asshole of this thread:

Ska isn't quite closely related to Punk.
And um....

Although I hate to say it, but Goldfinger have been a Pop-Punk band since Open Your Eyes. (Note the loss of a horn section, and just about everyone else in the band besides the singer...)

I guess it has to do with that whole "I want to be respected, and mature" attitude most SoCal bands have taken.
Circle that A, motherfucker!
capsfan17
Huzzah!
150 IQ
Heyzeus, when will people stop using the term pop punk in a derogitory way?
WHY DON'T YOU CONSULT EROWID FIRST?
Quote by doggy_hat
It's sad how the love drug is corrupted with so much bullshit
Chaise Boogie
So So Ska
2,305 IQ
Because most pop-punk is very bad. When I think of pop-punk, I think of Simple Plan, Good Charlette, all those ugly bands.
capsfan17
Huzzah!
150 IQ
those are not pop punk
Quote by doggy_hat
Chaise Boogie
So So Ska
2,305 IQ
Quote by capsfan17
those are not pop punk

What are they and what is pop-punk then?
capsfan17
Huzzah!
150 IQ
They are pop rock. Pop punk would be bands like Screeching Weasel, The Ramones, The Buzzcocks, and Ted Leo and the Pharmacists
Quote by doggy_hat
travel sized
Let's Pretend You're Cool
114 IQ
Quote by Chaise Boogie
What are they and what is pop-punk then?

They are pop rock. Notice the lack of distortion, how slow the songs are in compairison to punk, and how whiney and poppy the vocals are. Those bands are often wrongly catagorized as pop punk, but infact are no where close. A pop punk band is one that takes the fast and distorted guitar style from punk and more melodic vocals, usually with joking or light hearted lyrics, though not always. Pop punk bands are ones such as Screeching Weasel, The Queers, The Ramones, The Vandals, Mr. T Experience, ect.
The RipOuts snotty punk rock

Got my leather jacket on and my mind is gone

Baby drop that needle, we can dance all night.
Chaise Boogie
So So Ska
2,305 IQ
Ah. Well, on THUG American Wasteland, they got real lame on the soundtrack and decided to call Thrice, Thursday, Fall Out Boy, My Chemical Romance and and Taking Back Sunday punk. I haven't listened to much of them because I avoid radio and MTV so what would you call them?
capsfan17
Huzzah!
150 IQ
Emo

Those games have lost their musical touch
Quote by doggy_hat
telex289
Fool On The Hill
668 IQ
the first two tony hawk games had awsome soundtracks.. goldfinger, primus, jurassic 5...

i never really got into goldfinger except for superman which i heard back in 5th grade playing tony hawk.. it brings me back to my memories of how my friend slept over every friday and we'd be up to like 3 playing tony hawk...
deadkennedysfan
10 IQ
I think Goldfinger is a pretty good band. 'Superman', 'Mable', 'Miles Away' and 'Bro' are cool songs.

Oh, and Chaise, Guttermouth rules. =p
the glue man
beep
649 IQ
^^^They had the fricken Dead Kennedys. Jello would never approve.

Oh yeah, and the singer for Goldfinger produces Avril Ladxngfusfgsfxva and Good Charlotte (EEK!)
Chaise Boogie
So So Ska
2,305 IQ
Quote by deadkennedysfan
I think Goldfinger is a pretty good band. 'Superman', 'Mable', 'Miles Away' and 'Bro' are cool songs.

Oh, and Chaise, Guttermouth rules. =p

Yeah, they do.
Iluvpowerchords
Flau-BEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR
1,364 IQ
Quote by telex289
i never really got into goldfinger except for superman which i heard back in 5th grade playing tony hawk.. it brings me back to my memories of how my friend slept over every friday and we'd be up to like 3 playing tony hawk...

My cousin and I did the EXACT same thing, only with the pizza hut demo version 1 level, 1 song (superman), and waaaaaaay too much soda!

I love Nostalgia.

And Pop Punk.
Skunx
Banned
10 IQ
Couple things...

I want to thank the topic starter for producing this topic as it seems to be getting a lot of the same support. And I am one of those who think like you.
I've seen Goldfinger back in the day of their coming up in these SoCal ska and punk scenes. They used to be great. They used to be great friends with the Aquabats and No Doubt. Unfortunately all three of those bands turned into something close to pop punk and pop rock. Goodjob to whoever mentioned that, about a lot of SoCal bands turning more mature and such. And I've also seen shows from them in recent years. Playing lame songs like ' Mable ' and ' Sam Simeon, ' etc. Err.

Does anyone remember Charlie? Old guitar player. How about an old bass player? The drummer and John have been together for ten years but they have gone through quite a change in their lineup. Now they have a dopey bass player who is very overrated and a guitar player who hasn't made up anything great since he's been in the band. Charlie was awesome. The second to last Goldfinger show I went to he came from backstage and played a song with them. It was awesome and the place went nuts. Besides that ... Goldfinger is terrible live.

They might have some crazy antics as far as bringing thee entire audience on the stage, and having an audience member biting a twinkle out of the drummers ass, but playing wise -they have always been terrible. John is teeeeeeeerrrrrrrrible singing live. Absolutely horrible. Never has been able to. The last show I went to they played with the Vandals and Flogging Molly. They opened for the bands and we helped them get booed off the stage they were so bad.

And for the record .... Tony Hawk 2 was waaaaay better. Same game, with a manual, and good soundtrack too. ' Bring The Noise ' Public Enemy f/Anthrax, I believe.
capsfan17
Huzzah!
150 IQ
It also had bodyjar, Del the funky homosapien and someone else who I dont remember.
Quote by doggy_hat
ss311
Bertrand Russell
4,096 IQ
tony hawk 1 had police truck on it. that was my favourite song when i was 12, i didn't know what it was at the time but upon hearing DKs a couple of years later i realised it had been my first punk experience
Greenfinger182
Drunk Dancin'
2,682 IQ
Skunx, thanks for bringing us back to the subject.

I can't belive how many people are mentioning the THPS soundtrack, cause that's the first thing that introduced me to them when I was around 9 or 10 I think. I remember going into music option every time I went to play it and clicking 'Skip Track' whenever I started over so I could get Superman onto my playlist. Damn I wish they had had a list where you could pick your tracks. Still, the thought of how many hours I actually spent on that game is mind blowing.

Any old fans of theirs would remember Charlie. "Then on tuesday, mable left me, I heard she's going out with charlie ). And of course the cookie dough...that's classic.

I won't go far enough to agree with the terrible live preformance, but I will agree with Feldman's singing. He can keep the tune, but he runs around so much that he runs out of breath and cuts all of his words short. You'd think you wouldn't notice that much, but you really do. Every verse seems to end too soon because of his gasping for air. He's really gotta learn to pace himself.
Chaise Boogie
So So Ska
2,305 IQ
Sometimes I think that it's because of THPS I like punk and ska. A few years ago when I listened to ska for the first time, I started to remember those soundtracks, and it clicked.
the exploited 1
im not a ****ing hick!
111 IQ
Quote by capsfan17
It also had bodyjar, Del the funky homosapien and someone else who I dont remember.

**** man. i loved Del. he was hillarious,
Quote by newyorkdolls138
I like the Dead Cennedys, Misphitz, and the Klash.
newyorkdolls138
min
681 IQ
Quote by Greenfinger182

No, it came before both.
Jizz is where it is
Leftover_Crack
21 IQ
Quote by capsfan17
Emo

Those games have lost their musical touch

asduihaspd9aosiuedqw

IM SICK OF THIS

Senses fail and fall out boy and all that **** arent emo.

Emo = heroin,saetia,heroin etc...

Its turned into commercialized bull****.
capsfan17
Huzzah!
150 IQ
^sorry buddy
Quote by doggy_hat
Leftover_Crack
21 IQ
Quote by capsfan17
^sorry buddy

No problem.
Be warned ill lynch you next time though
Skunx
Banned
10 IQ
Charlie was awesome and the band hasn't had great music since.

Greenfinger hit it right on about Johns singing. That is why they don't play good live. His singing is so terrible that its a horrible experience to watch. I don't want to repeat what you said but its very true. He never EVER sings out notes anymore.

And Senses Fail and Fall Out Boy are pretty damn emo.
waterproofpie
breakfast connoisseur
2,962 IQ
Quote by Chaise Boogie
Sometimes I think that it's because of THPS I like punk and ska. A few years ago when I listened to ska for the first time, I started to remember those soundtracks, and it clicked.

I remember when people in this forum got flamed after the flux of "OMG I HEARD THIS ON TONY HAWK!" threads...seems like so many regulars in this forum regularly do this that it doesn't matter anymore.

I got into punk by hanging around record stores and through word of mouth. Not buy a 50 dollar video game.

EDIT: The verdict is in....skunx is P-P-P-P-PERMA BANNED.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
I've been busy getting drunk and yelling at endangered species for being pussies. It's a dehydrating job but someone has to do it.
Last edited by waterproofpie at Dec 2, 2005,