Poll Options
View poll results: Why is that?
Girls don't care enough to get anywhere
16 7%
People Just arent attracted to girl bands
51 22%
girls aren't good in bands
34 15%
there are good girl bands (im sorry ive never heard any I like)
85 37%
Other
41 18%
Voters: 227.
Page 1 of 5
ionlylookscary
meeko rocks and you don't
191 IQ
Hi
I was reading around on these forums and someone said somthing like all the crappy girls bands and I'm not offended but I really started thinking about it and there really aren't very many good/ popular girl bands, right?

why do you think that is?

PS im a girl so im not sexist
if i was a guy i would be gay!

member of the Seinfeld Fan Club --PM the_experience to join

WOOTERS!
Last edited by ionlylookscary at Dec 2, 2005,
Tenacious_dex
Dex
221 IQ
I like girl bands- Sahara Hotnights for example.

It's because there aren't many of them, and their single style isn't what people like perhaps.

Edit: Now I see the poll... Hmmm... People aren't attracted to girl bands.
Feel loved: Click here!

Joint President of The White Stripes club! PM Me or Jack_White455 to join this great club!

Ecky thump!
timi_hendrix
My heron!
445 IQ
Girls are just less interested in playing instruments?

I don't really know.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
ghettohippygrrl
904 IQ
None of your options. It's because more guys are in bands than girls are. Therefore, there are less girl bands. And when there is a girl band, it becomes a gimmick to people and music fans doubt them.
A conservative is a man who believes that nothing should be done for the first time. --Alfred E. Wiggam
GNR4EVER
1,050 IQ
The Donnas are the only one that comes to mind, I'm sure there are more though

And there are some good female shredders too
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Chak
Your weapon is guilt
250 IQ
There's no such thing as good girl bands. I don't think girls belong in music at all. And it's sad that I haven't seen anyone good enough to change my mind.
Drop another coin in the slot, and I will tell you more...
Will_Minus
UG's nail-head-hitter
188 IQ
Kittie and Girlschool too. Arch Enemy and Otep have female singers.
bobsyouraunt
manically depressed
126 IQ
when i went to see INME in manchester, there was a band with a girl singer. I forgot the name of the band, i know, useless. But neway, she didnt play an instrument but she could sing so feckin well and scream like a guy too. It was awesome.
"suicide hotline, please hold......."
TheEndHasNoEnd
556 IQ
Quote by Tenacious_dex
I like girl bands- Sahara Hotnights for example.

It's because there aren't many of them, and their single style isn't what people like perhaps.

Edit: Now I see the poll... Hmmm... People aren't attracted to girl bands.

Sahara Hotnights are an awesome band
Xinlitik
UG Board King
940 IQ
There are very few girl singers that sound good with rock imo. Fleetwood mac is decent... so is whoever sang barracuda and heartbreaker. That's about it though. (IMO)
Originally Posted by Corwinoid
Metal doesn't hold hands, it gets head in the van before the show. Seriously.

Mui
Official Knight of Nit
166 IQ
The Faders and Antigone Rising are pretty good.
x_rockin_x
Your Imaginary Friend...
14 IQ
Everyone needs inspiration from other bands to start their own band right? So if there aren't that many girl bands around then girls havent got much to look up to and to inspire them.

Another reason is that (most of the time) if girls try to sing about the same kinda things that guys sing about, eg. love, sex and drugs, it starts to sound like a crappy pop songs with little girls whining on about how this guy never notices them etc...

And then theres the fact that most girs simply dont have the same strength in their voices to yell like guys do, so things sound completely different and people dont like different things.

Remember this is MOST of the time; you get some wicked female rock and punk bands, just not many!
adamk991100
The Canadien Dude
527 IQ
It's the way music is shaped today. I'll take metal for an example. Generally bands that play metal, death metal etc...usually are guys. I don't really have an explanation, but it's like put it this way. It's pretty weird seeing a chick scream out some Cryptopsy rather than a guy do it.

But in general, I don't think it has to do with the talent. It just has to do with that fact that most genres it's guys that play. I find girls tend to play more towards the pop-punk side which isn't great. Guys then don't listen and ya...

Edit: Yeah as the guy said above me, there's also a lack of inspiration. I guarantee you if there was a female Hendrix, or a female Zakk Wylde lol, girls would play more and be inspired. How do you think guys play so much? Earlier bands started rock, bands in the 90's were influenced and inspired, made music and it took off from there. Now kids today are influenced by either classic rock bands or newer bands. Either way, these bands had lots of influences and stuff...
Quote by demonic_fishie
Johnson's naturally have a small kink in them, but if you've got a ninety-degree bend in it you should get it checked.

But hey, at least you could piss round corners.
Last edited by adamk991100 at Dec 2, 2005,
pumpkins_rule
UG's Rap crusader
1,404 IQ
Sleater-Kinney are the best punk-related band ever. End of Discussion. Magneta Lane are very good too. If female solo artists that write their own songs count, then Liz Pahir and Leslie Feist are quite good. And the girl in The Dresden Dolls writes all the music, and her drummer is probably replacable...
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

easy_target
52 IQ
Hmmm.. I don't really know why that is? It's a good point.
But yeah, I'm a girl, and I'm really really really interested in music, and maybe one day I will be in a girl band that kicks ass
RoughDraft
PurpleFlyingKazoolaMonkey
800 IQ
There are multiple reasons why there aren't girl bands. First of all a girl band is usually always assumed to be pop or no good which makes no sense also it's rare for four or five girls to get along creatively (I say this because I'm a girl and musically I've found guys easier to talk to about music than girls on the rare exception). Also we haven't that many female figure heads that shows us we can be "big" artists. Usually in bands the girl is the singer or keyboardist and all good/original girl bands just don't exist or are excepted in the musical buisness. Unfortunate but true.
Member of the No-Testicles Club! PM gangster-dolly to join!
(\__/) ((_))
(='.'=) o(>.<o
(")_(") ~((_))~ ....The bunny is winning....
o o
PistolPeet
crack *****
99 IQ
Quote by bobsyouraunt
when i went to see INME in manchester, there was a band with a girl singer. I forgot the name of the band, i know, useless. But neway, she didnt play an instrument but she could sing so feckin well and scream like a guy too. It was awesome.

ha, i was at that gig
Pistola
mangus rung
UG's only Powersponge
55 IQ
Youre all crazy. Have you ever heard of Heart or Vixen. Listen to about any of their stuff and then come and tell me that females can't play instruments
Quote by Guitarplaya27
Damn mangus thats twice uve dun that i will be aveneged (serioulsly thats used to much in movies)

Quote by 1fine69
Yeah, the worst is when you're friends house and his mom or sister wakes you up and you realize you have extremely obvious morning wood.
Cone 21
I Reject Your Reality
274 IQ
Well I think the reason is that alot of girls (at least in my Highschool) don't really want to be in a real band besides just sing like everyother lip-syincing gimmic. If there is a lead singer that is a girl and the rest are guys, its because she is hot as hell and they can sing but with a ****load of EQ.I think the greatest all girl band is the IRON MADIENS, they are great musicians, do Iron Maiden covers, and they are hot, whats not to like?
As I see the ignorance of humanity engulfing reason and sanity like a wave of perpetual defeat and misery I ask myself, when the hell is everyone going to shut up and actually think?
mangus rung
UG's only Powersponge
55 IQ
Quote by Xinlitik
There are very few girl singers that sound good with rock imo. Fleetwood mac is decent... so is whoever sang barracuda and heartbreaker. That's about it though. (IMO)

By the way Heart sings Barracuda and heartbreaker is Pat Benatar
Quote by Guitarplaya27
Damn mangus thats twice uve dun that i will be aveneged (serioulsly thats used to much in movies)

Quote by 1fine69
Yeah, the worst is when you're friends house and his mom or sister wakes you up and you realize you have extremely obvious morning wood.
therussiantramp
24 IQ
girlschool were good saw them supporting motorhead.
A band i saw recently was an all girl heavy rock band called mcqueen who were actually very decent. They're brits from brighton i believe and are currently supporting the brilliant band viking skull on their tour.
I'd reccommend them.

I bought their wristband, i managed to get one for £2.10 rather than the £3 caus i was talking to the lead singer and i only had £2.10 left in my pocket.
the world loves a bastard
daytripper75
Hold mah diiiick!
2,960 IQ
i think the problem is that more guys are attracted to rock music and playing in bands than girls are. there are good girl bands, but since a large part of the fan base is male, they tend to probably feel threatened by girls playing rock music, and the idea that maybe theyre actually like omg good, and dare i say better than quite of few of the male rock bands!
GnRrelease_it
use your illusion
482 IQ
I don't think girls belong in music at all.

how very 17th century of you.
Imagine if you were a drummer, and you accidentally picked up two magic wands instead of sticks. There you are, keeping the beat, the next thing you know, your bass player turns into a can of soup.
JkHalen
175 IQ
Quote by _ChAkA_
There's no such thing as good girl bands. I don't think girls belong in music at all. And it's sad that I haven't seen anyone good enough to change my mind.

agree completely, feel sorry for girls but it's just exacly how i feel.
TimiHendrix33
629 IQ
Quote by JkHalen
agree completely, feel sorry for girls but it's just exacly how i feel.

Why shouldn't girls be in music?..there just as good in music as guys....I'm a guy, and I believe there are ton's of good bands with girls in them, if you look in the right places.
When your body's tired, exercise your mind.
JkHalen
175 IQ
Quote by TimiHendrex33
Why shouldn't girls be in music?..there just as good in music as guys....I'm a guy, and I believe there are ton's of good bands with girls in them, if you look in the right places.

I just haven't heard a girl band good enough to convince me that girls do have a place in rock music..
Chak
Your weapon is guilt
250 IQ
Quote by GnRrelease_it
how very 17th century of you.

I am a girl. I just think they suck in music. Maybe there are exceptions but I won't change my mind until I see them.

Quote by TimiHendrex33

Care to tell us which girl bands you think are good? The only one that comes to mind is L7.
Drop another coin in the slot, and I will tell you more...
travel sized
Let's Pretend You're Cool
114 IQ
One all girl band that I really enjoy is the Devotchkas. Check 'em out. They had two singers (that I know of). Both sounded really different. They're all girls and I think they're pretty ****ing good.

Also The Germs bassist was a girl. The Diffs also have a girl bassist.

EDIT: My girlfriends also in an all girl band. They don't have any MP3's, but they're pretty good. Their singer moved though...
The RipOuts snotty punk rock

Got my leather jacket on and my mind is gone

Baby drop that needle, we can dance all night.
Gabuydachk
443 IQ
there are good girl bands, but there aren't as many women in the music industry. here's some good female musicians:
the Great Kat: amazing shredder
Ani DiFranco: nice voice, good guitarist
Janis Joplin: great songer
Carol Kaye: bassist, jazz guitarist
Sister Rosseta Tharpe: good guitarist, vocalist

there are many, many others

'tis life
Zevious Zoquis
23 IQ
LOL, the Go-Go's, Janis Joplin, Patti Smith, Chrissie Hynde, Joan Jett, The Bangles, Deborah Harry, Veruca Salt, Kim Deal/The Breeders, Bif Naked, Neko Case...theres chicks in rock and they belong just as much as anyone else.
IROBOTInferno
acid freak
43 IQ
Heart and the Runaways are good, even though Heart wasn't all girls, and Katrina Johannsen is Michael Angelo Batio protege, and she can play better than any female, and most males I have ever seen.
We never grasp self-realization, we are two abysses; A well staring at the sky.........
i_strum_i_drum
398 IQ
it is so close-minded to say that no girl bands are good, or girls aren't good in bands, as if gender affects musical ability.

i think at times the thing is that girls tend to approach music differently than boys do.
skeptopotamus
280 IQ
Im not applying the following to all females.

Alot of the females I know who play guitar/bass/sing/drum/etc are more into playing from their heart and playing emotion and what not while a lot of guys i know learn technique etc. Girls tend to begin writing songs earlier into their time as a guitarist while it takes guys longer. That doesn't mean that either gender(which is different than sex) is better or worse than the other, more or less a step sideways (i.e. a different approach).

discuss.

Joan Jett, Wendy O'Williams, Janis Joplin...just naming a few good ones.

Otep Shamaya, to name a shitty one.
Last edited by skeptopotamus at Dec 4, 2005,
websurfer
13 IQ
The obvious one that comes to mind
Doro Pesch

The not so obvious
phantom blue

-->I heard the all women Iron Maiden tribute album; and that was really bad.

There are women in bands. Examples include Kamelot (extra vocals), My Dying Bride (keyboardist), Lacuna Coil (singer), Arch Enemy (singer), old nightwish (singer). Those are the only ones that come to mind.