Page 1 of 2
tom-nofx
633 IQ
i didnt no where to put this thread,but its a simple question. What does everyone think of john 5 ??
ToolBass_dude
Lemon Fairy Liquid
605 IQ
i like him, even though shred aint really my cup o' tea.
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
Rivers
625 IQ
I dont really have too much of an opinion on him personally but the guitars that he designed with Fender are really cool
Bones, sinking like stones.
mingles
I am beautiful
864 IQ
He's amazing, but always plays for the big paycheck (manson, zombie). I'd rather hear him play to his full ability. Although, I'd take the paycheck too.
Read my post. Not this.
Andrewbiles
11,166 IQ
He's chicken oriental from the one track I've heard. It was 'sugarfoot rag' and they had a tab of it in the Jan issue of Guitar Techniques magazine, it sounded great, wanted to play it, had no chance
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
PooKoo
UG Spammer
662 IQ
Man **** you, im not being a dick, im just linking to a thread abuot him so he can read the opinions on it. So chill, and btw, **** you again for being self righteous and assuming and im trying to be like "you shoulda searched". Hell, i contemplated saying "i know you couldnt find this in search, i just thought youd like to read it" but i didnt because i thought people werent suck pricks in here.

Im in a bad mood.
wil
..but Teles are better
208 IQ
He doesnt really stir much either way in me really, cant stand his tone, he brags all day about how hes on par with the older country and jazz players which hes NOT. Les Paul is 90 and absolutely owns John 5'S ASS. Its the same with Tremonti, i glad that players are trying to bring back levels of virtuosity but...
Also, if he wants to separate himself from his awful history with Manson, why is he still calling himself John 5 and wearing that stupid make up?
His tecnhique is far from perfected but i do love his signature tele and he can outplay me...
Thank God im an atheist
telemaster1952
Resident AssHat
411 IQ
amszing mix of shred, country, and techno............i love it
|_1√3 1|\| yΩ|_|® \/\/®|_D 93+ p\/\/n3d 1|\| 1\/11|\|3

I Love to Drink Bawls!

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
tom-nofx
633 IQ
Quote by wil
He doesnt really stir much either way in me really, cant stand his tone, he brags all day about how hes on par with the older country and jazz players which hes NOT. Les Paul is 90 and absolutely owns John 5'S ASS. Its the same with Tremonti, i glad that players are trying to bring back levels of virtuosity but...
Also, if he wants to separate himself from his awful history with Manson, why is he still calling himself John 5 and wearing that stupid make up?
His tecnhique is far from perfected but i do love his signature tele and he can outplay me...

les paul owns your ass !! hes a great player, and mark tremonti and john 5 are five times better players than you so dont you say **** about them .
shredfan
UG Member
111 IQ
Quote by tom-nofx
les paul owns your ass !! hes a great player, and mark tremonti and john 5 are five times better players than you so dont you say **** about them .

Oh what a cogent argument you put forward.

Just because someone's better than you, why does that mean that you're not allowed to have an opinion on them? I'm sure you have negative opinions about sportsmen that are clearly better at their sport than you. And why shouldn't you?

What would be the point in having threads like 'What does everyone think of john 5 ??' if you were only allowed to post things like- 'I think he's amazing'. It would completely destroy the point of having the thread in the first place.

I personally like John 5, he's an interesting listen now and again and makes a nice change from the usual sound alike shredders. That said, I don't believe the hype about him being the new 'shred god' or whatever. Sure he's very good, but not in the same league as guys like Vai, et al.
Originally posted by raygreendaystud
your a fag, listen to real music like green day, you moron
wil
..but Teles are better
208 IQ
I said hes a better player than me you ****ing retard- go and talk about nofx, youreout of your depth here sonny.
Thank God im an atheist
xwrppdxnxplstcx
10 IQ
John 5 is one of the best out there. He's my idol. I dont care what anyone says. He rocks!

\m/ (x_x) \m/
apocalypse13
<3 Nile and Marty
686 IQ
Ok something really wierd just happened.

I hadn't been to this thread yet, but it said I had a post like this.

^ Pointing to wil's post

?????
Quote by hepzibahbaptist
Yeah listen to Apoc. He knows what he's talking about.

Quote by hepzibahbaptist
I figured you were going to sig that. And this if you have any sense of humor what so ever.

Founder of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM me or altronataku to join
Dirtydeeds468
UG Monkey
948 IQ
He's great, IMO, but it's kind of strange how he uses teles. He's got them in C tuning, while playing that oh-so-strange combination of shred, techno and ect.

Whatever the hell he's doing, it's working.
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
AND WE ARE THE DREAMERS OF THE DREAMS
apocalypse13
<3 Nile and Marty
686 IQ
Anybody know where I can see/hear some clips? Or care to upload?
Quote by hepzibahbaptist

Quote by hepzibahbaptist
I figured you were going to sig that. And this if you have any sense of humor what so ever.

Doubleday
Sailor Scout
611 IQ
I like him a lot, he has the ability to play well and sound great at the same time, which is really underated in my opinion.

I also like how he uses Teles.
what happened to the proposed Kirk Hammett flamenco album?

His acoustic didn't sound good with wah pedal, I suppose.
paddyo
?
340 IQ
Quote by PooKoo
Man **** you, im not being a dick, im just linking to a thread abuot him so he can read the opinions on it. So chill, and btw, **** you again for being self righteous and assuming and im trying to be like "you shoulda searched". Hell, i contemplated saying "i know you couldnt find this in search, i just thought youd like to read it" but i didnt because i thought people werent suck pricks in here.

Im in a bad mood.

We're not! We're not! Take us back Pookoo puurrlleeezzz! It was a noobs mistake, you know that! Whhyyyyyy!
'At its best, it represents total freedom of musical expression, unfettered by technical limitations.'-Guthrie Govan on shredding
Night Revolver
178 IQ
He's not the typical shredder. He's hugely underrated for his technical abilities.
I've got both his albums and I have to say it's packed with mind boggling stuff.
If you don't like bluegrass and country, fair enough, it's your opinion. But you have to admit he's a great player. Certainly my top guitar idol for sure...
eat sleep play guitar
Harmonius
Impulsive Dreamer
4,348 IQ
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

slash_620
Drivin' at night
579 IQ
I think he's awesome.

His bluegrass/country songs are a bit odd at first,but once you get into them they're great to listen to.

He comes up with some great chorus' aswell,and his soloing is awesome.

I got hooked by Total guitars transcription of 'Zugg Island Convict' and can;t wait for his next album.
Need.New.Sig.
Resiliance
Acta est fabula
449 IQ
He's alright, but I think he's TOTALLY overrated for his "shred" skills.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
apocalypse13
<3 Nile and Marty
686 IQ
Well, I've downloaded a few clips, and downloading the rest. He's no super shredder but, he's got chops, and he's got a cool, uniwue style. I like!
Quote by hepzibahbaptist

Quote by hepzibahbaptist

slash_620
Drivin' at night
579 IQ
Quote by Resiliance
He's alright, but I think he's TOTALLY overrated for his "shred" skills.

Ok,who's overrating him?

Because didn't someone say before in this thread that he was under-rated?

Personally i don't give a dam whether he hasn;t got a perfect technique or isn't as technically correct as Vai,he's good enough to create good music,and that's all that matters to me.
Need.New.Sig.
pavan
stunt guitar
210 IQ
he's ok at best
"Physics is like sex. Sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it." - Richard Feynman
Erich yeung
UG's China Man
508 IQ
Hes got some cool ideas, breaking free from his usual routine of heavy riffage and had the guts to put out a solo album. I like this guy good for him. PS vertigo's stacking theme is super awesome.
My Youtube Vids

"Be formless... shapeless like water.

If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle.

Water can flow, and it can crash....Be water, my friend..." - Bruce Lee
esp1988
Banned
935 IQ
he can shred and has got sme really unique stuff.shame he his playing in a commercial outfit
seljer
UG Resident
1,380 IQ
why the hell was this 3 month old thing bumped?
ShredDemon
111 IQ
Dunno. John 5 is pretty good, he doesnt show half of his skills in Manson.
Matt_Malmsteen
Shred n00b
363 IQ
Quote by slash_620
Ok,who's overrating him?

Because didn't someone say before in this thread that he was under-rated?

Personally i don't give a dam whether he hasn;t got a perfect technique or isn't as technically correct as Vai,he's good enough to create good music,and that's all that matters to me.

Alot of guitar magazines back when he released Vertigo put him up as the "Saviour Of Shred" and "New God Of Shred" etc.

Mainly because Vai likes him but also because he's different to alot of other so-called shredders nowadays.

And back to the point I listen to his stuff now and again but I find stuff like Satch and Gilbert much more interesting.
'If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the Universe' - Carl Sagan.
NIN&J5
Death Dealer AH: XboxLive
65 IQ
John 5 is my favorite guitar player. He is amazing and i know im gonna get **** for saying this, but hes the best guitar player ever.
Emo is conforming to unconformity and whining. Really, it is.
NIN&J5
Death Dealer AH: XboxLive
65 IQ
Oh BTW i agree with Shred Demon, i like Manson but hes was a total idiot in not utilizing John 5's skills.
Emo is conforming to unconformity and whining. Really, it is.
Godly Moose
Co-Producer Speed Weed
680 IQ
Quote by NIN&J5
John 5 is my favorite guitar player. He is amazing and i know im gonna get **** for saying this, but hes the best guitar player ever.

Well if this is in your opinion, I don't really care, but if you're stating this as a fact, then <insert wag finger emoticon>.
              ┌────────────┐
            |  Jet fuel     |
            |  Can't melt    |
            |  Steel Beams  |
            └─────┰──────┘

eviledge87
The Wanker Banker
429 IQ
i thought John 5's work on Rob Zombie's Educated Horses cd was awesome, anyone else have that cd?
Quote by Prophet of Page
If Hendrix, Clapton and Page were to jam, the most impressive guitarist playing would be Paul Gilbert.

Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

member of the Mitch Hedberg pwns club pm Knives490 to join
UG's...wait, who cares?
59 IQ
John 5 is amazing, my neighbor's son did most of the drums on songs for sanity. They've started putting the album cover up at guitar center,also. Noone seems to know about him.