Page 1 of 4
BEAST89
Jack of all trades
308 IQ
I know the guitar forum's got like 80 pages of this stuff for guitar so I was thinking about one for bass. For those of you who haven't seen the guitar one, this could be the place to put your favorite settings, settings to get a certain sound, settings to sound like someone, or anything I forgot. Unfortunatly, I don't have any to start it off but I'll pass that torch on to you...
MetalUpTheAss
Has commitment issues.
872 IQ
Settings to sound like me:

bass: 10
mid: 7
treb: 5 or 6

The mids and trebs is changable (But I <3 a good middy sound, treb is fairly important for tehtaps, but distortion helps for that)

/can'twaituntilhegetsanampwithmoresettingsformoretonalvariation
haha
Greenday389
BTBAM=Relevant
615 IQ
To get my settings(I think it's Mike Dirnt's settings but I can't remember):

Bass:Max.
Mid:Min.
Treb:Max.
Bass is my life.
PianoBlackSP
Tele player (open G baby)
198 IQ
I use
Bass - 5
Mids - 5
Treble - 7
Someimtes roll back the tone, sometimes have it on max. I kinda like it, reminds me of Offspring bass tones in a way. Also like the slap tone from it.
Pokemon, dead or alive?
grimreaper65
Banned
500 IQ
Can someone give me a good fingerstyle metal tone that will cut through?
MetalUpTheAss
Has commitment issues.
872 IQ
Quote by grimreaper65
Can someone give me a good fingerstyle metal tone that will cut through?

"Metal" tone = high bass & treb, killed mids, BUT cutting thru (i.e. w/ a band playing) will require some mids too.

So like, bass 10 mid 4-6, treb 8.
haha
Incubus_SCIENCE
Inkles McGee
1,590 IQ
My tone...

I have an active bass with two bart pups.

Fingerstyle
Bass : 75% of the way up
Mids : 55% of the way up
Treble: 53% (well just a tad lower than my treble)
Pick-Up Balance : I balance about 75% to the neck pickup, 25% to the back pickup.

With this, my amp settings are : (I'm just going to cut this down into bass/mid/treb)

Bass: 75% up
Low Mids: 75% up
High Mids:25% down
Treble: 75% up

I find the way I manage my midrange really nice. I prefer a beefier slap to a brittle trebely slap. The pickup balance allows me to switch between fingerstyle and picking very quickly. All I really need to do is set my pup balance back when I'm playing with a pick. This gives me a very deep, tight sound with dropped mids when picking. When slapping, I tend to turn my pickup balance more towards the neck pickup for a deeper sound.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
FleaBuc
Chasing a starlight...
275 IQ
I like it likes this-
For normal rock-
Bass- 10
Treble- 8
Mids- 4

For heavy, more downtuned rock I have to really turn up my mids to about 7 or 8 to cut through.
Caustic
On holiday by mistake
370 IQ
I usually play with bass and mids about equal, and treble cut a little (one or two marks down) for fingerstyle and pick. When slapping, I swap mids and treble. Depending on the music, I might boost one setting or the other to suit. I like my largely balanced tone, sits real nice in the mix. I've never seen a need to put one setting or the other through the roof, I adjust just enough to suit the music and no more.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Bassman86
KVNT
271 IQ
On my amp:

Bass: 10
Mid: 10
Treble: 2

MXR M-80

Bass: 9
Mid: 10
Treble: 6

On my bass it is totally bassed up. I do add some treble occasionally if I want a bit more punch to my tone.
TRANSFIXUS SED NON MORTUUS
deusexbass2150
35 IQ
Quote by Greenday389

yep thats what i do
telemaster1952
Resident AssHat
411 IQ
Quote by Greenday389

how do you get any tone from that?
|_1√3 1|\| yΩ|_|® \/\/®|_D 93+ p\/\/n3d 1|\| 1\/11|\|3

I Love to Drink Bawls!

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
tubadude
I do something. . .
1,797 IQ
on my bass, i have my highs, p'up selector(its a pot), and bass, set in the middle. (theres a knotch in the pot to tell me where middle is.

and my amp is all flat, with the mids a little lower (13 channel EQ) but i can make all my changes on my bass. i raise the bass a bit to get a havier sound. i turn the bridge p'up all the way if i want a jazz bass sound. and all the way to the neck and bass up if i want a nice, ballad sound. and with tweaking with those, i can get almost anything with it. i need a new battery though. . .
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Greenday389
BTBAM=Relevant
615 IQ
Quote by telemaster1952
how do you get any tone from that?

It sounds good to me.

I have the tone on max when I want a more Trebly sound, or I have the tone all the way down to get a more bassy sound.
Bass is my life.
TheDistrict
O RLY?
769 IQ
Can anybody tell me how to get a mark hoppus-ish tone?
Yeah, yeah "HE SUCKS AT BASS"
but im in a ska/pop-punk band now and I like his sound
Citiz3n 3ras3d
*****in'
147 IQ
For regular bass playing,I like to use:
Bass:0
Mids:10
Treb:0

And on my guitar,I let my neck pickup go to max,with my bridge pickup all the way down and my Tone knob down all the way to bass.When I want to cut through,I'll raise the tone on my bass a bit.

For the slapping/funk type stuff,I use:
Bass:Max
Mids:None
Treb:Max

And both my pickups are on max and my tone on full treble

Generic,I know,but it works for me
2113C&C
Banned
30 IQ
mids up nice and high, and a fair bit of treble and a touch of bass when i have the distortion on. i dont have an amp really now, but i had it on ****e0 settings
Incubus_SCIENCE
Inkles McGee
1,590 IQ
Quote by TheDistrict
Can anybody tell me how to get a mark hoppus-ish tone?
Yeah, yeah "HE SUCKS AT BASS"
but im in a ska/pop-punk band now and I like his sound

Drop your mids, boost your bass, boost your treble. Lean more towards the back pickup, and play with a pick for that nice bright sound.

Bass: 85% up
Mids: 20% up
Treble: 70% up

I'm not a really big fan of his tone, but that's pretty much what he's got going.

Riryoku
Silence in the Storm
269 IQ
I jack the bass and treble all the way, and drop the mids down pretty much all the way.
Member #8 of the "I Love Waterbears" club!! PM Phantom lord363 to join

Member #2 of the "I love Mexican food" club. PM frozen-dirt to join.

Machine-gun tappist of the Bass Militia. PM Duff_McGee or IndieMetalhead to join.

LOL @ RABBIT
MetalUpTheAss
Has commitment issues.
872 IQ
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
you sound, just like me! lol

I must say, I love the way we sound.
haha
UtBDan
BA of Music Theory
4,564 IQ
I love my amp at:
Highs: 9
High Mids: 6
Low Mids: 2
Lows: 7

my bass changes depending on what I'm trying to do. However I really wish I had a J-bass or a Bongo (mmmhm.... 2 pups... delicious)

Metal/harder:
Highs: 6
Lows: 9

Funk:
Lows: 5

friggen 2 band EQ.. lol

Now I've borrowed a friends Geddy before, and I must say, I use that bridge puppy more than that neck. lol.

Wishlist: MusicMan Bongo, Geddy Lee Jazz, Tokai P Bass

when I get those 3 basses...

....I'll really wish I had a better amp. lol
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Bassman86
KVNT
271 IQ
Dan, what bass(es) do you have? I forgot and want to know because of what you just said^.
TRANSFIXUS SED NON MORTUUS
Incubus_SCIENCE
Inkles McGee
1,590 IQ
Quote by UtBDan
I love my amp at:
High Mids: 6
Low Mids: 2
Lows: 7

my bass changes depending on what I'm trying to do. However I really wish I had a J-bass or a Bongo (mmmhm.... 2 pups... delicious)

Metal/harder:

Funk:
Lows: 5

friggen 2 band EQ.. lol

Now I've borrowed a friends Geddy before, and I must say, I use that bridge puppy more than that neck. lol.

Wishlist: MusicMan Bongo, Geddy Lee Jazz, Tokai P Bass

when I get those 3 basses...

....I'll really wish I had a better amp. lol

Dan's got GAS!!!

For those of you who don't know, GAS is G(ear)A(cquisition)S(yndrome)

OddHeadedPunk89
UG Master Basser
175 IQ
my tone is
bass: 3 oclock
Mids: 1 oclock
treble: 5 oclock
Member #62 of the Alter bridge rocks club
pm Logz to join

Quote by Ignite
You know you're a guitar player when you're thinking about yourself playing awesome solos when you're having intercourse. Yes, I said intercourse... deal with it.
UtBDan
BA of Music Theory
4,564 IQ
Quote by Bassman86
Dan, what bass(es) do you have? I forgot and want to know because of what you just said^.

Tacoma Thunderchief, MusicMan SUB X02, Ibanez GSR200 that I haven't played in a long time that I need to get the string height adjusted (I don't have an f'n 1.5mm allen wrench to the turning I need, I only have a 2mm one. I'm half a mm short. Do you know what it was like when I found that out. I cried. I CRIED INSIDE. Why can't I play my first bass, because your screwdrivers are half a milimeter too small. HALF A MILIMETER.)

someday when I get that 1.5 mm allen wrench I'll adjust the strings and defret it.

until hten it's just the SUB and Chief till I get a Bongo. Which won't be soon most likely. But it could happen. lol
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory

Quote by waterproofpie
daddylonghair
25 IQ
For Slapping... my style ofcourse...

Bass 8.5
Mid 8.5
Treble 6

ahaha
Incubus_SCIENCE
Inkles McGee
1,590 IQ
Quote by UtBDan
Tacoma Thunderchief, MusicMan SUB X02, Ibanez GSR200 that I haven't played in a long time that I need to get the string height adjusted (I don't have an f'n 1.5mm allen wrench to the turning I need, I only have a 2mm one. I'm half a mm short. Do you know what it was like when I found that out. I cried. I CRIED INSIDE. Why can't I play my first bass, because your screwdrivers are half a milimeter too small. HALF A MILIMETER.)

someday when I get that 1.5 mm allen wrench I'll adjust the strings and defret it.

until hten it's just the SUB and Chief till I get a Bongo. Which won't be soon most likely. But it could happen. lol

GAS I SAY!!! First the phycodelic sexfunk cowbass or whatever. Then he wants the upright. Then the Thundercheif. Now a Bongo?!?!?! AND A NEW ALLEN WRENCH!!!

Carl_D
10 IQ
Can somone recommend a really punchy setting? Something like you hear in Unstable by Adema.
UtBDan
BA of Music Theory
4,564 IQ
Quote by Incubus_SCIENCE
GAS I SAY!!! First the phycodelic sexfunk cowbass or whatever. Then he wants the upright. Then the Thundercheif. Now a Bongo?!?!?! AND A NEW ALLEN WRENCH!!!

yeah I dunno, I'll still want the sexfunk when I'm f'n rich.

I still want an upright, just can't afford it.

I got the Thunderchief.

The Bongo is just the only electric bass that would make me 100% happy that wasn't custom built, I think.
Quote by casualty01

BA in Music theory

Quote by waterproofpie
elemenohpee
132 IQ
It's about time I got around to this...

Normal settings (On a 15")
Mids: 7

I just love the rumble it puts out. And the muted highs remind me of a stand up.

Secondary Settings (15")

Highs: 8
Mids:7
Lows: between 3 and 5.

It's great for bringing out the high ends in chords.

Normal Settings (8(or 4)x10" and SWR 550X)
Highs (Volume): 7
Highs (Tone): 6
Mids (Volume): 7
Mids (Tone): 6
Mids (Frequency): 6
Lows (Volume): 8
Lows (Tone): 8

I haven't yet found a really good secondary setting on my stack, but It would probably be close to my 15" settings.

Of course, this is all for my Rockbass Streamer 5. I had different settings for my Kramer Aluminium neck, but I had to sell it. (Car got in a hit and run overnight, I had to sell it to get enough money to pay for repairs. Car was totaled)
GreenDayChris
UG's Orgasm Addict
808 IQ
hey
can anyone good me some good rage against the machine settings, particularly for any songs on their first album.
I have Low, low mid, high mid, high and a distortion channel on my amp.

Cheers in advance.

My settings now
Low - 7
Low Mid - 6
High Mid -8-9
High - 10
Super Leeds and Classy Cas!
trunkshope6
Mexican
299 IQ
How do get a Matt Freeman tone with a jazz bass ,playing fingerstyle.

And can you tell me the settings in 8 way equalizer.
George Lopez show is for stereo-types that think that George Lopez is funny.
ToolBass_dude
Lemon Fairy Liquid
605 IQ
ok, i have two questions regarding settings, and one technical.

Settings:

Matt Wong (Reel Big Fish)- i know its that musicman growl, so i use my musicman pickup, but i still can't quite get the sound right.

Olli (Rammstein)'s tone on "Engel". It sounds really growly, almost overdriven, but i can't figure it out. The video shows an acoustic, but i don't think he used one on the recording.

OK, the technical question: can someone please give me a good explanation of the functions of a Parametric (low para-mid, high para-mid) eq, and how to harness it's potential? until now, i've left it flat, and used the EQ on my bass, but id like to see what i can do with the amp if i really tried (and as i plan to use my other bass a bit more- its a passive).

Any help appreciated

Alex
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
VandySe7en22
10 IQ
Hey i listen to metalcore like killswitch engage and the likes...what kind of settings do i need?

right now im at:

low-10
mid-4
high-8

and what does the gain need to be at?
TestForEcho
Cool and remote
171 IQ
If you want to sound like TestForEcho, you use a lot of mids. There's not a really bassy sound to my playing at all, it cuts through really well. Much more melodic than rhythmic.
gonzosrevenge55
UG Newbie
138 IQ
right now, i'm still searching for my perfect tone. the hartke ha4000 is really touchy. and i'm starting to discover the shape and intensity knobs, which make a bigger difference than i thought.
anyway, right now: lows:7.5-9 (the 215 bottom cab means i don't really have to crank the lows) lowmids: 4-7 highmids: 3-5, highs: 6-7. thinking of upping the mids and cutting the highs, but like i said, it only takes the slightest tap to radically change the tone.
bass is a passive musicman sub. second knob broke off a day after i got it (slammed the brakes, and only had a gig bag). i just got it fixed and don't know what it does. usual config is knobs 1+2=max. knob 3=50%.

like dan, i'm hoping for a bongo (two humbuckers, of course), since it made my sub sound like a toy. speaking of which, how's the thunderchief? i've never heard of it, but dan sounds like he's a man of good taste.
mangablade
UG Spammer
863 IQ
bass 7
mid 3-6 (depends on if im playing by self or in band, low if solo, high if band)
treble - 5-7 (same deal, but other way round)

usually on bridge pup unless i want a nice bassy/woofy sound, then i go to neck.

amp is
bass 9
mids 7
treble 9

(i just like the amp settings high so i can control most of my tone on the bass, i leave the mids lower than the rest because the mids are the most likely to be scooped.)
Iluvpowerchords
Flau-BEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR
1,364 IQ
Quote by Greenday389

Huzzah!

That's exactly what I do.
Niff
Bassist
770 IQ
Anybody know what settings Justin Chancellor from Tool uses?