Page 3 of 4
Actually, speaking of thread resurrection - anyone know Mic Todd's bass tone? (from Coheed and Cambria)
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
^+1

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Every minute is to be Grasped........................................................................Time waits for nobody.

I love how probably a dozen people have asked for a certain bassist's tone and received no answers. Here's something I found while perusing the internets one day, I decided to save myself a copy. Hope this helps.

"BEATLE BASS - Boost 100Hz by 2 or 3dB, (if you don't use a pick then boost
3kHz by 3 to 6dB.)

SILLY LOVE TONE (McCartney) - (Similar to Beatle Bass with more warmth.)

Boost 100Hz by a few dB then boost 500Hz by 6dB or so. Cut 300Hz by about
3dB and cut 12kHz by 6dB. [Good for ballads, rockin' blues or shuffle.]

BASS IN YOUR FACE (Aggressive John Entwistle sound.) - Boost 1 to 2 kHz by 6

to 9dB. Cut 200Hz by 6dB. For more "brittle" sound cut 100Hz by 2 or 3dB.
This will help a busy bass line to slice through the mix.

TWANG THANG (C&W"ish") - To accentuate "twang" : Cut 200 to 250Hz by 6dB or

so. (Good for reducing "mud".) Boost equivalent amount of 1kHz for "twang".
Boost 100Hz by 1 or 2dB.

MO-BETTER MOTOWN (OR REGGAE) - (Smooth muted tone.) Cut 1kHz by 5 or 6dB.
Boost 200Hz by 3dB. Boost 100Hz slightly. Cut high end ("hi eq") by 6dB or

so. For "reggae" sound - boost a few more "dB's" of "low end".

MOTOWN (More punchy and aggressive.) - As above but instead of cutting 1kHz,
cut 5kHz by 6dB or more. (Both the "mo-better motown" & "motown" sounds work

nicely in a mix cluttered with mid-range elements such as guitar, piano &
horns.)

JACO JAZZ (Jazz sound) (also good for fretless bass) - Boost 1kHz by 6dB or
so. Cut 200Hz by as much as 9dB or more. Boost 100Hz by 1 or 2dB. Cut 12kHz

("hi eq") by 1 or 2dB. For "Marcus Miller" sound - cut at 800Hz rather than
200Hz."

I generally use:

Bass: 11 o'clock
Lo Mid: 1 o'clock
Hi Mid: 2 o'clock
Treble: 1-2 o'clock

I have a preamp on my bass too, generally I leave that flat but I roll it around for certain songs.
I get a great Rex Brown-ish tone through my SVT stack and Spector. The settings are as follows:

ON BASS:
Neck Pickup Volume: about 75%
Bridge Pickup Volume: 100%
Treble: Cranked
Bass: about 75%

ON SVT CLASSIC:
Gain: (as needed, usually about 4 or 5)
Bass: 5
Midrange: 6-7
Frequency: Position 3 (800 Hz)
Treble: 7-8
Master Volume: (as needed, sounds better turned up, of course )

Hope this helped someone! Merry Christmas
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by Felkara
Actually, speaking of thread resurrection - anyone know Mic Todd's bass tone? (from Coheed and Cambria)

+1 on that
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!
My Settings

Bass:
Neck and Bridge Pickup: Full
Tone :Full

MXR Bass D.I.

Colour switch on (Boosts bass and Treble a bit)
Bass : 9 O'clock
Mid: 1 O'clock
Treble: 3-4 O'clock

Amp Settings
Flat.
On my amp: treble/mids left alone, 7 band mids curve is flat at the low end, curves up a little until the middle, at 400Hz gets a little cut, then curves up from flat at the next band.

On my bass' active preamp: flat, sometimes a little treble boost. Pickups at 60% bridge, 40% neck.

On my SansAmp (fingerpicking): blend at max, treble at 2-3 O'Clock, bass at 2 O'Clock, drive at 8-9 O'Clock and presence at max.

When I use a pick (usually just for overdriven stuff), I'll usually stick the gain up to 10-11 O'Clock and drop the treble just a touch.

The fingerpicked stuff sounds like a cheapo version of early-RATM TimmyC's tone with a blunter attack but a bit more treble and the picked sounds similar, but with a bit more dirt and throat.
Quote by Marcel Veltman
Being a rather mediocre musician myself, I'm all on the hand of Haanz.

Guitar:
MIM '09 Fender Telecaster
Laney VC15-110 Old English White '10
Freshman FOP1DN Acoustic

Bass:
Ibanez SRX590
Laney RB4
Tech21 SansAmp BassDriver DI
Boss ODB-3
Hm, whatev.

'Neck' pickup with tone almost all the way down

Frequency notch almost completely "+" value

63Hz -5%
150Hz +25%
350Hz +30%
800Hz +25%
2kHz flat
5kHz flat

I'm not sure what I'm accomplishing
if I need to play harmonic parts, I completely boost my on pickup tone

If I feel like getting gritty, I crank my Neck tone
I add my Bridge pickup with full tone
(it has an uhm bad hum? And I roll the notch the opposite way)
But this is almost never

Lol, silly edit. My notation for that is so horrible. It is basically saying that "0" is -100%, "5" is 0%/Flat, and that "10" is +100%. +25% would be at like a "6" or "7" or something.

Now I have notched to the opposite part as before (so like between 10 and 11 o'clock or something). I think I flattened my mids just slightly from before and I know I raised my highs.

I find it TONNES easier to EQ while using fuzz/distortion (though that affects how I sound cleanly, obviously). Perhaps I just need an EQ pedal now?
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Last edited by lordofthefood1 at Apr 11, 2009,
On my amp
Bass - 10
Mids - 8
Treble - 9

On my bass
Gain - 3
Bass - 9
Treble - 7
Volume - MAX!!
On bass-

Volume- 10
Tone- 7

On amp-

Bass- 4
Mids- 7
Treble- 6

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Every minute is to be Grasped........................................................................Time waits for nobody.

Quote by TheDistrict
Can anybody tell me how to get a mark hoppus-ish tone?
Yeah, yeah "HE SUCKS AT BASS"
but im in a ska/pop-punk band now and I like his sound

Have you seen his set-up on guitargeek?
He literally just has an amp and a bass.

I don't think he cares much what he sounds like to be honest.
Mark Hoppus has a frowny face EQ. Cut the bass and treble. Crank the mids.

I don't know why I know that...
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by aztech00
How do i get a steve harris tone?
Or maybe something similar.

im pretty sure there have been laods of threads about this.
his sig flatwounds have something to do with it
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
i'm looking for a cliff burton tone, i play alot of early metallica songs.. if someones already asked and been answer direct me to were the answers is
Bass: 7
Low Mid: 10
High Mid: 9
Treble: 5
Contour: 5

kinda Progressive sound
Now All I need is a Bongo 6 HH...but thats in $3500 time
THE GREAT AND POWERFUL TRIXIE

DREAM THEATER

THE DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT

SEVENTH WONDER

MUSICMAN BONGO 6HH
EBS REIDMAR

YOUTUBE
TWITTER
TUMBLR
Quote by tristanw4
i'm looking for a cliff burton tone, i play alot of early metallica songs.. if someones already asked and been answer direct me to were the answers is

Humbuckers, big muff distortion with a decent amount of mids.
At least that's what I've found comes close
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
im looking for a jason newsted's chime bell-ish tone that he has on the Black Album. Any good settings? I have gallien-krueger goldline bass amp with gain, contour, treble, low mid, high mid, and bass knobs.
I usually use:
Lows - 9
Lo Mids - 3
Hi Mids - 5
High - 5

(Jazz bass) Both pickups at max and tone at max - usually change p.u. volume and tone for different songs/styles
My tone is something like;

Bass : 12 Oclock:
Low Mids: 4 Oclock
High Mids: 6 Oclock
Treble: 12 Oclock

Humbucker bridge pick up. Brings the growl through on my musicman.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
hey...
can someone tell me something about Rage Against The Machine??
it's wired cos it's funk-metal....
please!!
For the love of god guys..

Ever heard of Gain structure? Let me explain;

Every electrical component in your amp adds up to a certain fixed noise threshold.

Disconnect your jack plug at the amp side and turn up the volume to max to hear what i mean.

If you dont use enough gain the natural noise of the preamp will be larger in proportion to your instruments signal, This is because the noise level is fixed. For (a non realistic) example; if your noise threshold is 10 dB, and your gain is 20 dB there is gonna be more noticable noise (50%) than if you were to use 30 dB's of gain(33%). On the other hand too much gain will eventually result in clipping and compression.

Now lets say youve gained in properly but you've got your bass knob at +10, This will also amplify the noise generated by the preamp. On the otherhand if you cut all the rest by -10 and leaving for instance the bass at 0 you will lower your signal to towards the noise threshhold. When your sound hits the final stage of your amplifier you will eventually lose a clear balanced tone and your dynamics.

So if you do like to make some drastic changes to your sound.. keep this in mind.

If you want to leave everything flat but the bass boosted to the max, boost your bass to 5 and cut the rest to -5 instead.

As for my desired settings:

Gain: just below 0 dB
Bass, Mid, Treble: +3 dB, 0 dB, +2 dB
Semi parametric: 500 Hz @ -3 dB
Did you deliberately search for a thread to rant it?

Also yes, I have heard of gain structure.

So old thefitz is there. Nostalgia.
Last edited by Spaz91 at Aug 1, 2011,
i have a vox amp. very trebly with even all the settings at 0. i usually have the tone all the way down, with the bass at about 5, or 6, and the treble at about 7 or 8. i dont have a mid knob on my amp, so thats about as good as i can get it for metal. for punk, pop, and other things like that i have the bass at 7-10 (depends on what exact band im playing to), the treble at about 3-5, and occasionally the bright switch on. i dont partucularly like the bright switch without a lot of bass because it makes my strings sound like cardboard
Quote by Stranglehold
That's it, you're all banned.

Quote by stevebomb
If I wanted to listen to something slow, I'd play some hippie music.
I just set up an EQ that sounds pretty nice,

Bass: 25%
Low Mid: 40%
High Mid: 45%
High: 70%

That's with the EQ on my bass being flat, I often only change the settings on my bass to get an EQ more precise to what sound I'm looking for.

Now I'm not sure about gain structure that Gharman was talking about (my amp doesn't have a gain setting). Regardless, it sounds good and punchy, and produces a very nice tone for my rig.
[Insert something clever here]
Because my amp is really warm sounding, I set it to:
Bass: 0
Mids: Full
Treble: Full

It would sound horrible in a Hartke, but sounds great in my amp. If I want to fatten the tone, I crank my SRX's Bass Knob (Active Eq) and set the Treble Knob to various areas depending on what tone I am going after.
Gear:
Ibanez SRX-365
MIM Fender Jazz Bass
Yamaha B50-115ii
Boss CS-3
Necropost on a necropost on a necropost on anecropost on a necropost on a necropost on a necropost on a necropost

I actually remember when this thread came out the first time, and it's funny to see how it has survived over time. I miss seeing some of these guys around here, it's sad that they've gone. But as Spaz said, it is indeed a bad case of nostalgia lol.

Anyway it is a very useful thread and a good resource. Potential Bass Archive material?
guys what amp settings for cliff burton kinda tone in for whom the bell tolls and anesthesia. Thx
Lol what a necrobump...

@ romkaman: You need distortion and wah pedals for that kind of tones.

But yeah... I'm pretty terrified about the fact that everybody seems to crank their bass knob. I hate the boomy muddy cranked bass sound. I cut my bass frequencies a bit on the TNT130 amp because it sounds pretty boomy and muddy without doing that. Also many people seem to have very extreme settings (knobs at max and min). I think it sounds much better if you start with everything at 12 o'clock. And if that doesn't sound good, boost or cut some frequencies. I don't like to go lower than ten o'clock or higher than two o'clock.

I don't understand settings like bass and treble: max, mids:0 or bass and treble: 0, mids: max. That just sounds too extreme.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Mar 23, 2013,
I'm pretty terrified about the fact that everybody seems to crank their bass knob

What's wrong with me? I always cut it a bit, adding treble and high mids.
Hm...Bass Pre>Boss OD20>Digitech BP-8 Pre>Digitech 4band Parametric>Genz Benz FET & Tube Pres>Genz Benz Shaping Circuit.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Really the Ibanez Vari-Mid III that many throw away is everything, AFTER the Elixer Strings of course.

Vol. 100% (Of Course)
Bal. 3min to the Bridge
Bass: + 7.5 db
Treb: -7.5 db (attenuate up towards 0db as the strings age)
Mid: + 3db
Mid Sweep: Right below the Mid Boost Dot (my guess is somewhere between 1K-500Hz, but it might be 200.
Ibanez BTB 1006 Fretless and 405 (no Barts)
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Genz Benz NeoX400 112T & NeoX 112T cab.
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Boss: SYB-5, PS-2, OD-20, EQ-20, PH-3,BF-3, CE-20, DD-20
Morely A/B
Quote by Zaqq
What's wrong with me? I always cut it a bit, adding treble and high mids.

Nothing wrong with you. I said that I can't stand the tone of a cranked bass knob. I also cut it a bit to get rid of the muddyness. I want my sound to have clarity. Many times when I see professional gigs, they always have too much bass and the sound is really muddy and unclear. I don't really like it.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
chris from MUSE before truck load of effects, bass middle treble presence anyone?????
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
which album/s? pretty much his whole rig changes each album. i'd imagine before worrying about EQ you'll need to worry about all of his effects etc. each one will add its own little colour to the sound which will be hard to replicate.
(that also means i can't find anything regarding EQ settings but pages and pages and pages upon pages of gear info )
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Quote by moody git
which album/s? pretty much his whole rig changes each album. i'd imagine before worrying about EQ you'll need to worry about all of his effects etc. each one will add its own little colour to the sound which will be hard to replicate.
(that also means i can't find anything regarding EQ settings but pages and pages and pages upon pages of gear info )

I was thinking BH&R more SMBH, starlight and KoC
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
Quote by MaggaraMarine
But yeah... I'm pretty terrified about the fact that everybody seems to crank their bass knob. I hate the boomy muddy cranked bass sound.

So much this. It's as if the thought that goes through many amateur bassists minds when take a look at the controls on their amps is along the lines of "well, I play bass, not middle or treble" as they continue to dial in the most awful indistinct mess they possibly can.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
Hartke Graphic EQ:
32- 8 db
64- 6 db
120- 3 db
250- 2 db
500 - flat
1000- -3db
2000- -6db
3000- -3 db
5000- flat
8000- 3db

The idea is this:
1.) I use a Fulltone OCD as an almost always on grit sorta thing, and it's pretty high-mids happy.
2.) Balancing the mix. I usually cut 250-500 on guitar the same way I cut 1khz-3khz on bass.