the snow queen
Bach in Business!
1,196 IQ
everyone talks about there guitar having a fast neck, what sort of atributes does a fast neck have? and can I make my neck fast? what sort of effect would this have on playing and tone?
Member #5 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club.

PM forsaknazrael to join
crazee201
Registered Car
2,255 IQ
its smooth, slick, thin?...i dunno

but, i hear rubbing lemon oil on it works well..

Forum Archives / About / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2006
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2009, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
broken circle
Blargh.
253 IQ
'Fast Fret' is good, and keeps your strings in good condition too, so you don't lose too much tone over a period of time.
psykopoo:
moron, spelt paedofile wrong
jj1565
Officially Knighted
1,715 IQ
lower ur action.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Dlawso
Banned
30 IQ
Yeah, lower your action and use lemon oil, too.
Its the "whole" neck that makes a "fast neck". Not just some diffrent adjustments, adjust ALL to your own style.
Weybl Himself
UG Board King
408 IQ
Lower action, thinner neck, narrower nut, slicker neck finish, all of those things make a neck fast, but if you can't be bothered will any of that, you can buy string/neck lubricant whcih makes moving up and down the neck a breeze.
Nirtallica
^^Metallica^^
331 IQ
thin neck, low action, smooth finish. something you can find in most rg's
SuperAngus
Ahhh, The Power Of Angus!
15 IQ
Thats a negative side, LOL.

Yngwie says"scalloped necks actually make it harder to play faster, but you just get more control."

Well then... I guess.
R.I.P. Bon Scott 2-19-80
"The trouble is," Angus pointed out, "we can't play everything or we'll be onstage all night... and we don't wanna end up like Pink Floyd, growing old onstage!"
Schecter Gryphon------->Behringer V-Tone 30w
Prophet of Page
258 IQ
I can't believe I'm the only one who has said this but the thing that makes a neck "fast" is a flatter radius. You may play fast on a thick neck, a wide or thin neck, or a glossed neck, but you won't be playing fast on a very round neck, like vintage strats have.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
jj1565
Officially Knighted
1,715 IQ
^haha i would have gone into it but i guessed he already had a neck and couldnt flatten it now.

edit: opps for tom, edg jumped in too.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
adamstartin
158 IQ
Its gotta be an unfinished neck too, laquered ones arent too great aparrently.
mr_hankey
also available in 3D
834 IQ
Quote by Prophet of Page
I can't believe I'm the only one who has said this but the thing that makes a neck "fast" is a flatter radius. You may play fast on a thick neck, a wide or thin neck, or a glossed neck, but you won't be playing fast on a very round neck, like vintage strats have.

I didn't know that, I always thought it was just to make big bends not 'fret out', as it would on a rounder fretboard.
Erock503
Gear \m/hore
1,629 IQ
IMO, it's all personal preference. My hands start to sweat, so they stick to the glossed necks, which I "feel" slows me down. I like the satin or non-finished necks, they just feel easier for me to slide on. Someone who doesn't sweat as much might feel the gloss is easier to slide on. Some people think the maple fretboards feel faster. It's a harder wood, so it might feel faster to some people when they fret notes. Personally, I prefer rosewood, it's easier for me to tell where I am on the board for some reason, so I "feel" like I'm faster. I have a large palm with short sausage fingers, so a strat neck "feels" fast to me because my fingers are positioned comfortably with the the larger radius. The Ibanez necks feel fast to me because my fat fingers have an easier time with the string spacing. It's all preference and the shape of your hand/fingers IMO.