Page 3 of 7
Quote by Helloween_rox
Even though I haven't played any gigs yet, I'd start on a slow song, go more upbeat within the next 2 or 3, slow it down for another song or 2, and then end on the last 2 with a high energy, heavy, heart-pounding song and the finale/encore do a slowed down song again, such as "Patience" by GNR, or "Good Riddance" by Greenday.

NOT GOOD RIDDANCE. just dont do it.
Arbor A410 Bass
Dinosaur 20 Watt Bass Amp
Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt
Squier Bullet

Excuse me sir, have you been thinking tonight?
My band's set list usually goes like this

Prelude - Fast, a bit heavy, kind of catchy
Pure Soul - Heavy, Fast
kill Texas - Heavy, Fast, fan-favorite
Life - Sometimes played, light, slow, heavy in bits
Rain - Mid-Tempo, Heavy
For Whom The Bell Tolls - Metallica Cover, heavy but mid-tempo
Fall Down - Heavy, mid/fast Tempo
Serenity and Destruction - Heavy, Fast, Frantic
Seek and Destroy - Metallica Cover, mid-tempo, heavy

and we are going to be adding in a Dethklok cover " Mermaid-er ", Metallica's " Fade to Black ", Iron Maiden's " Run to the Hills ", and two new, fast and frantic originals.

I find going from heavy and fast to mid-tempo back to heavy, then ending on a familiar tune really works well with the crowd
Quote by civildp1
It's not rocket surgery.
Quote by Kensai
That was so hot my penis exploded.
Quote by killthekingx
I **ing hate Opeth. They make every other band I know look bad.

Quote by beckyjc
some cockwanks just wan to throw 5 stars at her because she has a vag
Quote by Leper Affinity
then ending on a familiar tune really works well with the crowd

Definately; I always - or usually in any case - end with 'Rocking In The Free World' and it's always a treat.
Same goes for opening as well; I'll usually throw in a cover or two in the middle of the set for a bit of padding, but opening and closing with a cover is a personal favourite of mine.
my band is opening with Strength of the World by A7X. good idea or not? and ive found that Sweet Child of Mine is the universal encore song. it just works.
You know how sometimes you get the feeling that nobody's really listening?

Yeah, welcome to the internet.
My band starts of with a punk song, then goes into heavier songs, end of th emiddle is our Dead kennedys-type fast song, and out last song is Die Die my darling my the Misfits. Usually, me and the singer jump into the crowd, and that gets a pit going and we pretty much throw are guitars and mosh with the people. I find this good for punk/ alt bands, becasue you'l leave a lasting impression. As for Encore, a cover would be a good idea, because the audience can relate, and see a different take on the song.
I personaly think ending the set should be the ballad or slow song and the encore has to be the upbeat song....
I'm playing Pantera's Cowboys From Hell.Should I headbang with my short hair?It does look kinda dumb because of its length.I don't know what else to do besides headbanging.I don't wanna stand still and just look down because it feel dumb.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
I disagree with the set list thing at the beginning.... you CAN end on a slow one for your encore, but I like to really rock out finish on a huge chord and yel goodnight, or something simillarily cheesy into the mic and end the show with the crowd applausing, and have someone ready to open the doors just as your song ends, getting the crowd leaving and talking about the show, not waiting around, letting the wow stagnate, and having you packing up on stage awkwardly while someone goes over AFTER it has finished to get the crowd out. Also, if there is a backstage area, walk of straightaway and enjoy the slightly muted applause of the crowd in the next room, grab a drink (which you'll need if you picked a good finisher!) and come out to pack up after they have left.
Quote by Imafrog
I disagree with the set list thing at the beginning.... you CAN end on a slow one for your encore, but I like to really rock out finish on a huge chord and yel goodnight, or something simillarily cheesy into the mic and end the show with the crowd applausing, and have someone ready to open the doors just as your song ends, getting the crowd leaving and talking about the show, not waiting around, letting the wow stagnate, and having you packing up on stage awkwardly while someone goes over AFTER it has finished to get the crowd out. Also, if there is a backstage area, walk of straightaway and enjoy the slightly muted applause of the crowd in the next room, grab a drink (which you'll need if you picked a good finisher!) and come out to pack up after they have left.

That's the spirit, leave 'em all exited up and wanting more.
Although personaly, I'd go back on after grabbing the beer backstage and give 'em one more song that totaly rips all over the previous set ender, then leave. Just to crank up their exitement as much as possible before the end.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Jan 1, 2008,
How does this set list look?
We're playing 3 sets, and I usually don't put the set list together alone (the band usually does)

1) Journey Into the Gate - Intro original
2) Crimson Gates - Thrash metal original
3) Hearts on Fire - Hammerfall
4) When the Eagle Cries - Iced Earth
5) Cowboys From Hell - Pantera
6) Paranoid - Black Sabbath
7) La Grange - ZZ Top
8) Blitzkrieg Bop - Ramones
9) Symphony of Destruction - Megadeth
10) Wild Thing - The Troggs
11) Mother - Danzig
12) Phantom of the Opera - Iron Maiden
13) Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana

1) 1776 - Iced Earth
2) Birth of Hate - Original (Thrash metal)
3) Kryptonite - 3 Doors Down (I think?)
4) Where do we go from Here Now? - Firewind
5) For Whom the Bell Tolls - Metallica
6) Melancholy (Holy Martyr) - Iced Earth
7) Fire and the Fury - Firewind
8) Instrumental - Original (Power Metal)
9) Sweet home Alabama - Lynyrd Synyrd
10) Sweating Bullets - Megadeth
11) A Tout le Monde - Megadeth
12) Enter Sandman - Metallica

1) We Will Rock You - Queen
2) Randomosity - Original (Power metal)
3) Iron Man - Black Sabbath
4) Watching Over Me - Iced Earth
5) Smoke on the Water - Deep Purple
6) House of the Rising Sun - The Animals (I think?)
7) Burnt Offerings - Iced Earth
8) Sweet Dreams - Marylin Manson
9) Come as You Are - Nirvana
10) Highway to Hell - AC/DC
11) Knocking on Heavens Door - Guns and Roses version
12) Fade to Black - Metallica
13) Crazy Train - Ozzy

End

How does it look? Any suggestions about the order?
GET YOUR LEVELS SET TO PERFECTION BEFORE YOU PLAY!!! I cannot stress this enough i have played several gigs where the sound technician was basically the barman standing 10 meters away going 'that sounds fine'.
First of all get the whole band minus the singer to play a chord progression over and over again, and get the singer to stand right in front, and then move further away, calling out what needs to be louder as he moves back.
Then when everything can be heard, get them to come up to the front again and double check to make sure everything sounds fine there. Then get somebody experienced to do what the singer did, with the singer singing to get the vocal levels right.
Without good p.a's and mic'd amps etc its hard to get a perfect sound but its better than nothing
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
In my opinion, I don't think that the encore has to be fast or slow, soft or upbeat. I just has to be EPIC. It has to be one of those songs where you just wish that a movie camera weas there, just because that moment is so amazing. Somethng that will leave the crowd awestruck and nearly speachless. Just my opinion.
Hey, my band is getting together a setlist for our gig next month. How does this look:

1. Heavy original
2. Slower, but still heavy original
3. I Hate Everything About You (Three Days Grace cover)
[break]
4. Slower original
5. Even slower original
6. Paralyzer (Finger 11 cover)
7. Funky, upbeat original
[break]
8. A thrash improv session/solos
9. Send the Pain Below (Chevelle cover)
10. Original ballad
11. Leader of Men (Nickelback cover)

There are a few styles represented here, as you can see. The thrash improv session is something we decided to throw in just so we can have a little fun up there. Any comments/suggestions?
I start with a huge-sounding slow origonal that has a breakdown that can basically be endless, so I can talk over it, introduce us, etc, then I build up, playing faster and faster, more and more energetic songs until the last song, which is usually by MCR or Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, since those kill my voice and they're a bit longer and more energetic.
heres a few tips on difrent kinda bands:

bands who only play covers:
-start with a song that EVERYBODY knows preferably with a known intro (e.g. Enter Sandman)
-finish with a song that has nice outro (e.g. )

bands who play Originals AND Covers:
-Start with a very known cover (same as before) that most pple love and you'll get the crowds attention for your originals.

-always try and inject 1 or 2 covers to give the audiance something they know

-end with an original, preferably your best original so that you leave a great personal last touch and then pple who saw you and enjoyed the gig will remember most of all your original, you could also end with a great cover (e.g. VR-Slither) and have an original for the encore.

-hope i helped you out, i basically mixed up some personal experience with some wise UG thoughts ive read on the threads/!
Quote by redteamleader
the only thing i could possibly add: practice

before your gig be sure and run your set for time- make sure you're within the set time you've been given. further, the pre-gig rehearsal is a good time to make sure all the sticky bits and tricky parts are coming off smoothly.

more than anything make sure you're prepared. your band's act isn't going to matter much if your songs aren't polished and ready to be played for people- no amount of stage presence is going to make up for a ****ty set. better to play a short, tight set than a long, sloppy, ill-prepared one.

But if your performance on stage is gonna suck, at least suck with style
Quote by Xzcutioner21
But if your performance on stage is gonna suck, at least suck with style

I've tried that, it never actually works

People would then always comment on how you look on stage rarther the music, which sucks
Quote by Symmetry4321
I've tried that, it never actually works

People would then always comment on how you look on stage rarther the music, which sucks

You have a point. Lol. But the guy who told me that plays keyboards like the guy in Dream Theater. haha. so I listened.
Metal is my RELIGION, Judas is my priest.
How about these songs gents:

Accidentally in Love - Counting Crows
Dakota - Stereophonics
Original song, loud rocking chorus, with quiet melodic verses.
Times Like These - Foo Fighters
Nothing Else Matters - Metallica
Alright Now - Free

Any suggestions on order? Thanks in advance.

Would Go Gay For Grohl.
good advice there mate, that's given me some food for thought. One thing I would say, and I think others may have said too, is that I would personally use a fairly up-beat song in the encore, perhaps not your best song - that should be used at the end of the main set - but one of your best, so you can just ease off a little from the climax but keep your audience interested and end your gig on a high. Good thread though
Gabba gabba hey
Hey guys,

How many songs do you reckon we cahn play for an hour set? My singer says we should learn 15, but I think he's got hishead up is ass as that is 54 minutes of music. How long between each song do you think?
Quote by bartdevil_metal
Hey guys,

How many songs do you reckon we cahn play for an hour set? My singer says we should learn 15, but I think he's got hishead up is ass as that is 54 minutes of music. How long between each song do you think?

I'd say start off with 3 songs on the fly, that's about 15 mins. Then have a 5 minute break and chat to the crowd also, use this time to change guitars/tunings and stick any songs that need alternate guitars/tunings after the break, then do another 3 songs so now you're at approx 35 mins. Hopefully the crowd should be more pumped by now, so maybe take a longer break, with a bit of band to crowd banter/joking around etc so that's approx 45 mins, then play one more song, then another short break, followed by your best song to finish the set up.

edit: so thats 8 songs, although you should probably learn 9 then run through lengths etc. in practice.

Would Go Gay For Grohl.
My band can manage 7, 8 if we are unfriendly in half an hour, so 12 or 13 would be ideal (that's if you don't need to spend anytime changing the tuning of guitars)
On another subject a friend of mine i thinking of starting an acoustic side project and he got 10 songs which he is considering startinbg off with: any suggestion on an order to play them at a gig?

Gone Away (Offspring)
Falls Apart (Hurt)
Mama Said (Metallica)
Floods (Fightstar)
The Nobodies (Maralyn Manson)
Machines (Biffy Clyro)
*****house Blues (Motorhead)
Map of the Problematique (Muse)
Planet Caravan (Black Sabbath)
Hollow Years (Dream Theater)
okay, setlist for my schools "rockdown" its a benifit for kids with cancer event with a bunch of bands and games alll nite so my band got a spot to play.

for whom the bell tolls

whole lotta love

over the mountain

living after midnight

cowboys from hell

t.n.t.

hot for teacher

and we arent all in agreement with the rest of the songs yet but what do you think so for?
Jackie_ jackson dxmg
debby_dean cherry burst v
rhonda_dean dime razorback

boss gt-3
^

Start with Pantera
Then play Metallica
Anything is fine to go in whatever order at this point but...
End on Led Zepplin
How do you tell a young band that they shouldn't start with a ballad and should finish with their best song, instead of putting it in the middle of the set?
Quote by Amarant
How do you tell a young band that they shouldn't start with a ballad and should finish with their best song, instead of putting it in the middle of the set?

Either tell them or make them learn on their own. They seem really stupid.
Quote by Crazymike100

You disgust me.

Quote by jack_off_joel
bro u are definately gay

Quote by Oblivion_Rps
A backstabbin' bitch who calls himself the 'oracle'?

Quote by 100%guitarmad
I AM GOING TO HAVE TO REFER TO THE FIRST QUOTE IN YOUR SIGNATURE

UG loves me so much. Do you?

MY NAME IS JACOB. CALL ME THAT.
I'm curious to know what songs they are on about, unless it's originals because then i need to hear them
Quote by Symmetry4321
^

Start with Pantera
Then play Metallica
Anything is fine to go in whatever order at this point but...
End on Led Zepplin

No man they should end with Pantera!
Something really lively and well known is perfect for the closing song
Quote by IbanezSA160a
Ug's Drunken Irishman prevails over existence once again +All UG'S Point to you my drunken irish friend.

Black/Folk Metal
Quote by Will D
How about these songs gents:

Accidentally in Love - Counting Crows
Dakota - Stereophonics
Original song, loud rocking chorus, with quiet melodic verses.
Times Like These - Foo Fighters
Nothing Else Matters - Metallica
Alright Now - Free

Any suggestions on order? Thanks in advance.

This is what I think it should be

Times Like These
Accidentally in love
Original song
Dakota
Nothing else matters
Alright now (make sure you have an amazing solo and then a crash up at the end, while the lead singer shouts stuff like you were the best f***ing crowd ever and then end)

Hope this helps
Last edited by timeizprecious at Jan 3, 2009,
Quote by 11thHour
No man they should end with Pantera!
Something really lively and well known is perfect for the closing song

Pantera would be good if Stairway to heaven weren't one of the best known songs ever, not as good as the Panters track but one of the most well known ever
Ok so the acoustic folk/indie pop duo that i'm in has this setlist so far for a 45 minute set... any suggestions are appreciated:

Jack Johnson – Taylor
Tegan and Sara – Living Room
TALK
Red Brick Wall (original)
Kimya Dawson – Tire Swing
Ben Lee – We’re All In this Together
Pearl And The Puppets – Because I Do
TALK
The Kooks – She Moves In Her Own Way
Dash & Will – Fighting Over Nothing

Encore:
Drowning In Dust (original)
John Butler Trio – Better Than
I'm here to help

Quote by Jimbleton
ok, as usual pit is being very unhelpful except andychalmers, so im gonna go post this someplace else

And a master of storytelling...

Quote by Jackolas
andychalmers102, that story is awesome.
What you wrote was the kinda thing I'd always go by in my head when I'm choosing it,good advise.You should do something on playing in front of different crowds and venues.
I can't believe no one has mentioned it (or maybe my reading skills are just really bad), but connecting songs together is one of my favorite things to do and see live. A band that does this very well is Dream Theater (see how they do Beyond This Life --> Hollow Years --> War Inside My Head --> The Test That Stumped Them All on "Live at Budokan")

To me it really helps keep the set flowing. For example, my band played Bon Jovi's Livin' on a Prayer and the Pokemon Theme Song at one of our shows. Since we ended Livin' on a fermat-ed G, and Pokemon starts out with one, we let the G ring out, the piano started doing the Pokemon vamp, then our drummer gave 3 hi-hat hits and we began, "I wanna be/the very best........"

Does anyone else do this too?
Mr. Allan wrote:
This is like saying you're not allowed to jerk off over the girl next door unless you have a license and written permission from her. Which, of course, is bullsh*t
Quote by Lydian_Mode
I can't believe no one has mentioned it (or maybe my reading skills are just really bad), but connecting songs together is one of my favorite things to do and see live. A band that does this very well is Dream Theater (see how they do Beyond This Life --> Hollow Years --> War Inside My Head --> The Test That Stumped Them All on "Live at Budokan")

To me it really helps keep the set flowing. For example, my band played Bon Jovi's Livin' on a Prayer and the Pokemon Theme Song at one of our shows. Since we ended Livin' on a fermat-ed G, and Pokemon starts out with one, we let the G ring out, the piano started doing the Pokemon vamp, then our drummer gave 3 hi-hat hits and we began, "I wanna be/the very best........"

Does anyone else do this too?

Agreeeee. This is hellz fun. We did it with two of our originals for a couple of shows, but we don't really play those anymore.

2) Crowd Interaction: If you're playing a set with three or more songs, crowd interaction becomes quite important. Introducing the group, the individual members of the band and the names of the songs before/after you play them are the basics. This at least lets the crowd have some connection to the band. To indulge further, a singer could do a crowd dive (incredibly egotistical and not always well-recieved, but fun if it works), the guitarist (leads permitting) could wander out into the crowd whilst playing a solo or even just rhythm parts etc. Slightly less on the extreme side, perhaps a story behind a song, or a bit of banter with the crowd - usually jokes or telling them how great the venue/town is are good - or letting the crowd sings parts of a well-known song, or possibly a call and response type thing with the crowd.

QUOTE] Reminds me of The Simpsons

Mick Jagger: No matter where or size of the crowd say its the wildest town in the whole damn world
Cheif Wiggum: So you didn't mean it last year in Springfeild
Mick: Ummm Yes we meant it only because Springfreild is the wildest town in the whole damn world
Quick question:

Would it be a good idea to start with a quick up beat song (obviously) but it goes into this break down, sort of funky bluesy jam, that has the possibility of making the song quite long compared to the original song. The song would transform from 3:30 to about 6ish minutes. Or would that be saved for the middle of the set?
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??