Page 4 of 7
Quote by bluesrocker101
Quick question:

Would it be a good idea to start with a quick up beat song (obviously) but it goes into this break down, sort of funky bluesy jam, that has the possibility of making the song quite long compared to the original song. The song would transform from 3:30 to about 6ish minutes. Or would that be saved for the middle of the set?

Middle of set unless youur audience is acoustomed to long then it would be alright
Alright, I'm playing at an open-mic night, alone. Songs will be

An up-beat, bright sounding original
Patience by GnR
Used to Love her by GnR

All of them with the solos removed
I have a thing against playing 2 songs by the same artist in the same gig, no matter how long it is (if at all possible)... let alone a 3 song set. If you walk in and the entire audience is wearing GnR shirts, then by all means. But I think it's better to diversify your set to attract a range of listeners.
I once was watching a band at a bar in town and they played a Green day song, which I hated. They played another song afterward. Then they followed up that 2nd song with another Green Day. I left and spent the rest of the night making fun of the band. Now this is a little extreme and I doubt you'll run into someone as ruthless as I am but my point remains. I think it's infinitely better to play as much of a mix as you can, while still having as much fun as you possibly can, in order to bring more people. This includes lesser known songs. Now there will be a lot of guys that can come in here and post something along the lines of "don't listen to him, play whatever you want and have fun, it's all that matters" and if that's how you feel, then by all means rock on. However, I'm just saying it's better to diversify to attract a wider range of the audience to your music.
It's really up to your answer to this question... what's better?
You play three of your favorite GnR songs and one person comes up after and props you on your performance.
or...
You play three songs from three different bands and three different people come up to you to give you props.

Now this is assuming anyone will talk to you in the first place and it's kind of a bad example but it gets the point across, i think. The fact that your going to be alone also may interfere in your final decision because you don't want to go out of your comfort zone... but do what you think is best.
Okay, help me re-order.

Up-beat original
Patience GnR
Little Wing Hendrix
Starlight Muse

I was thinking that order, because the ending of Starlight is quite cool. Then again, Patience is hard for my voice, so putting it last might be a safe bet, and it's got a cool ending that I'm gonna involve the audience in
Last edited by gabcd86 at Mar 10, 2009,
I think encores are like one of the best times to play a cover or one of your more popular/better songs that you haven't played all night. You can also start out with a ballad, AFI did that once; Prelude 12/21 then got into the groove a little. But still-great advice, man...
Although...actually, hate for double post but it's a completely different subject and kind of a bump-up:

I'm a member of a punk band needing a set list to practise. We don't have scheduled a gig yet, because we don't have enough complete material to play live. How's this setlist?:

Blitzkrieg Bop - The Ramones
Crossed Over (original material, rap-rock and alternative metal think Linkin Park)
Million Suns (Also original, alternative ballad think Snow Patrol)
What the Hell's He Saying A Smart Person Can Tell (PUNK. Like, Green Day and the Clash mixed together)
Forever Scarred (Also original hard rock think Powderfinger with, like, 3 Days Grace emo-ness)
Wake Me Up When September Ends - Green Day
Hey There Delilah - Plain White T's
IF encore:
The Joker - Steve Miller Band
I think the best way to end a gig is with a really EPIC song as someone previously stated, but, its great if it has a huge crazy solo in the end to just wow people, like, free bird (if you want to end on a ballad) or maybe Mr. Crowley (its a good rock song with a great ending solo)
So gig coming up, only have time for a few song, Limit 30- 45 minutes all depending on what time we get started.

Raining Blood- Slayer (always open with this)
Master of Puppets- Metallica
Mechanix- Megadeth
Cemetary Gates- Pantera
Original Compostition (about 8 minutes long)
Anarchy in the UK- Sex Pistols
Hammer Smashed Face- Cannibal Corpse
ok my bands got a small gig in a few months(our first one)

and these are the songs that we're more than likly going to play but i dont know what order to put them in

Shock Me-KISS
Talk Dirty To Me-Poison
Pour Some Sugar On Me-Def Leppard
Your Gunna Go Far Kid-The Offspring
Into The Void-KISS

thanks in advance
Guitars:
Epiphone SG G-400
Lyon Washburn Strat

Amps:
Marshall Mg 10cd
Lyon mini amp
Line 6 HD75 half stack

Pedals:
Boss V-wah

Bass:
Squire P-bass
Last edited by SAVE_US.DWD at Apr 8, 2009,
^^^ What songs do you think you guys play best?

You want to leave at least two songs between the KISS songs because that's a lot of KISS for a small set. I'd probably close with Pour Some Sugar On Me because I think that's probably the biggest song out of that list.
WARNING:This post contains explicit portrayals of violence; sex; violent sex; sexual violence; clowns and violent scenes of violent excess, which are definitely not suitable for all audiences.
umm our best is probably talk dirty to me

also we might throw we will rock u in there
Guitars:
Epiphone SG G-400
Lyon Washburn Strat

Amps:
Marshall Mg 10cd
Lyon mini amp
Line 6 HD75 half stack

Pedals:
Boss V-wah

Bass:
Squire P-bass
Last edited by SAVE_US.DWD at Apr 11, 2009,
My band is getting ready to start doing shows and we've been discussing set orders. The 2 guitarists want to start off with playing an ambient intro track through the pa then having that flow into a rather dull instrumental. (3 riffs, no solos). Ive been trying to convince them that this is a bad way to start a show. Can anyone tell me if Im write here? Ive told them that we should start with a upbeat faster song, but they say no, this is good enough.
Quote by Yakult
If I get a boner I generally pass out due to the massive amount of blood having to be redirected from my brain

Quote by DubStar92
I like to video record myself when I'm drunk. It's like a mini-movie. I love fapping to the sex scene.
Quote by SAVE_US.DWD
umm our best is probably talk dirty to me

also we might throw we will rock u in there

Then I would close with Talk Dirty To Me. Your strongest song should be played last because the last song leaves the last impression on the audience.
Quote by Ktool The Girth
My band is getting ready to start doing shows and we've been discussing set orders. The 2 guitarists want to start off with playing an ambient intro track through the pa then having that flow into a rather dull instrumental. (3 riffs, no solos). Ive been trying to convince them that this is a bad way to start a show. Can anyone tell me if Im write here? Ive told them that we should start with a upbeat faster song, but they say no, this is good enough.

Tell them that the first song is your chance to grab the audience and get them pumped up. If you don't play a fast tempo song you won't get them excited.
WARNING:This post contains explicit portrayals of violence; sex; violent sex; sexual violence; clowns and violent scenes of violent excess, which are definitely not suitable for all audiences.
Quote by Baba O'Riley
Then I would close with Talk Dirty To Me. Your strongest song should be played last because the last song leaves the last impression on the audience.

Tell them that the first song is your chance to grab the audience and get them pumped up. If you don't play a fast tempo song you won't get them excited.

Its not that its a slow song, its just a boring one. If Im bored playing it, I can only imagine how bored the audience would be.
Quote by Yakult
If I get a boner I generally pass out due to the massive amount of blood having to be redirected from my brain

Quote by DubStar92
I like to video record myself when I'm drunk. It's like a mini-movie. I love fapping to the sex scene.
^^^ What exactly makes it boring?
Quote by Baba O'Riley
^^^ What exactly makes it boring?

Its just 3 boring riffs over and over. Heres a link to it, he calls it angel of 100 fates.

http://www.myspace.com/requiemsoul

Its just boring, doesnt go anywhere, the bass is only like 3 notes (probably why I dont like it since Im the bassist). I just think itd be a bad opener. The singer doesnt care either way.
Quote by Yakult

Quote by DubStar92
I listened to the song. I think the best solution is a compromise. I suggest playing about the first minute and a half of the song so you segue from the third riff into the second song in your set.
Quote by Baba O'Riley
I listened to the song. I think the best solution is a compromise. I suggest playing about the first minute and a half of the song so you segue from the third riff into the second song in your set.

This actually sounds not bad. Thanks for the help.
Quote by Yakult

Quote by DubStar92
^^^ No problem.
1 tip on song selection
Under no circumstances take an audience member's request for Freebird seriously.
Last edited by 6942692 at Jun 22, 2009,
what do you think about this set list

cochise - audioslave
bulls on parade - ratm (short version without vocals)
set me free - velvet revolver
crazy bitch - buckcherry
i am mine - pearl jam
plush - stone temple pilots
one and the same - audioslave

i am the highway - audioslave
illegal i song - velvet revolver
slither - velvet revolver
killing in the name - ratm

paradise city - gnr
^^^ I think that has too many covers by Velvet Revolver, RATM and Audioslave in the same set.
ok so we are a trio (sometimes a four piece with about 30 covers) here are the songs we play as a trio at bars and stuff.

THERE ARE ONLY 3 OF US!!

Whats it feel like to be a ghost- TBS
Heart shaped box- nirvana
Welcome to paradise-greenday
basket case-greenday
dirty deeds- acdc
inside out- eve 6
Rockn in the free world-neil young
Jenny jenny (8675309)- tommy 2tone
born too late- the clarks
Dammit- blink 182
all the small things-blink182

so thats pretty much our style

MORE SUGGESTIONS (popular songs) WE CAN PLAY??

Whats another good nirvana song (besides teenspirit) we can cover??

Please help!!
Hi,

I have started to listen to American music. I love your music choice, my friend, but I would also suggest playing "Stairway to Heaven" by Led Zeppelin, and I would also suggest playing the "Be as it may" be replaced by Sister Disco.

Thank you,

My massage,

Phillip McGraaw
Hello, my name is Phillip McGraaw

I have PhD in Women's Studies/Immigration trends from University of Texas at Austin.

I am an Indian who immigrated to America 7 years ago. I like Warehouse 13, Twitter, Guitar, etc.
Quote by MyS3lF
Play any Muse song.

He said it's a trio, not a trio with more effects than a magic show.
Quote by grimms
All I know is that if UG were a prison, all of us will either be dead, a prison bitch, or a dead prison bitch.

Quote by guitarvinnie

Whats another good nirvana song (besides teenspirit) we can cover??

Please help!!

You could do Polly the way they played it on From the Muddy Banks of Wishkah.
ex : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfZaATS-kkI

EDIT: Breed is good too.
Last edited by Take This Life at Aug 22, 2009,
Quote by Take This Life
You could do Polly the way they played it on From the Muddy Banks of Wishkah.
ex : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfZaATS-kkI

My favorite Polly version.
Other awesome nirvana stuff you can do are In Bloom,Aneurysm(for some weird reason lots of people i know dont know this great song) or Breed.

EDIT:beaten to Breed.Twice.
Last edited by Firebirdz at Aug 22, 2009,
Maybe do a Foo Fighters song like "Breakout" or something, they're always fun.

You could try "Come As You Are" by Nirvana?

"Fat Lip" by Sum 41? Just a few off the top of my head.
My Gear
Schecter Revenger
Some old Marshall practice amp
Zoom G2.1Nu
Vox Satchurator
Dunlop GCB95 Crybaby

Every day sends future to past
Every step brings me closer to my last

Quote by tubatom868686
Red hot chili peppers stuff is easy to pull off as a trio, as long as 2 of you can sing

Californication ftw
or In Bloom by Nirvana
Quote by tubatom868686
Red hot chili peppers stuff is easy to pull off as a trio, as long as 2 of you can sing

yeah you need singer for rhcp stuff but you just cant do rhcp without a bass player.