Page 5 of 7
Quote by Up_The_irons666
yeah you need singer for rhcp stuff but you just cant do rhcp without a bass player.

our bass player has trouble playing the bass to basket case, theres no way he can get the fills that flea does
Quote by guitarvinnie
our bass player has trouble playing the bass to basket case, theres no way he can get the fills that flea does

oooohhh darn it! rhcp without the bass is not that catchy.
dramamine by modest mouse? its pretty easy for bass
Quote by Up_The_irons666
oooohhh darn it! rhcp without the bass is not that catchy.
dramamine by modest mouse? its pretty easy for bass

its gotta be a good bar song or just a popular song...
Everlong - Foo Fighters????, that is usually a great song to get people pumped, and I have pulled it off as a 3 piece before.
Also, I c you are doing Rockin' In The Free World, this song, if you can close it with an extended jam version, gets people so pumped up, for an example Pearl Jam has a version. But once, my band played it normally as are closer, and people liked but weren't as energized, then when we threw in a 3 minute jam, they loved it. Now you can just do a one minute jam, maybe you take a long solo, just throw some stuff in, and that works out AMAZING!
My Gear
PRS SE Custom
Fender Standard Customized Fat Strat
Baby Taylor Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 212
Boss SOD-1
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Peavey Channel Selector
Fender 25R practice amp
Where would you put "Turn the Page" in a cover set, middle, end, early?

We play a rendition that closly mimics the metallica version, but it has our own flare and drama. Were a power trio, and we keep it raw and simple. It has the high energy that you'd expect, and I have always been fond of it as a closer, but my bandmates disagree and it usually ends up about 4 or 5 on the list.

Is it just me? Where would you put it?
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Quote by Jonny Ryan Mac
Where would you put "Turn the Page" in a cover set, middle, end, early?

We play a rendition that closly mimics the metallica version, but it has our own flare and drama. Were a power trio, and we keep it raw and simple. It has the high energy that you'd expect, and I have always been fond of it as a closer, but my bandmates disagree and it usually ends up about 4 or 5 on the list.

Is it just me? Where would you put it?

well how fast do you guys play it? because if you do a slower version, it might be a good song right before the end. Play that, and then some really energetic closer.
Too cool for a signature.
It starts slow buit builds up to a big finish. I'll sudgest again that we move it to the end.

Thanks.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
My secret to great crowd output----

This is my little secret to help some of you who want to do covers or get the crowd going.

I do this set 2nd which is around 10:15pm-11:10pm *times WILL vary with each playing*

Hit me with your best shot
I love rock n roll
Hurt so good
Takin care of business
Brown Eyed Girl
Walking on Sunshine
Blister in the sun
Mony mony
Jenny (8675309)
Authority song
I want you to want me
Kissed a Girl
Crazy Train (sometimes switched with johnny b.)

its not perfect but I haven't gotten complaints yet with it
So i'm playing a gig in a new town. I understood the dynamics of my old town. But this one is more urban, with more nu-metalcore and deathcore fans than actual death metal fans.

I play progressive death metal. We're a new band as I'm newish and we're quite well rehearsed. To be honest though we have only songs we are truly confident with as some of the originals I write take up to two weeks competently, our rhythm guitarist and bass player are talented but haven't been in a band before. So they are still getting to grips with being in a prog/tech death band.
Our songs are:

1. Tracks in the snow (a fast paced melodic death metal song with guitar solos)
2. Lack of comprehension (by death, relatively fast paced song)
3. Descent(our most technical song and the fastest, lots of blastbeats throughout)
4. untitled (our heavy ambient song)

I don't know what order I should have our songs in
Any other tips/advice will be much appreciated
Well from this im gonna order my songs like this

Electric Crown-Testament
Seek and Destroy-Metallica
Kill the king-Megadeth

we only have a 3 song set :'( if we do get called for an Encore were gonna play Rock and Roll ain noise polution for an absolute laugh cause we could get a crowd going with it.Even better a crowd which actively participates in signin :P
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
Well just remember, if your playing at bar/club venues most of the time youre paid to play what the crowd wants so make sure you keep your songs in relation to the area...

Example I am not going to play at a small town bar in wisconsin and have my sets be composed of Slayer/Opeth/Celtic Frost stuff..
Here's my band's last setlist- nicked and uploaded by a fan!

Of course, they're all original... full names:

[Requiem For A Dream Intro]
Fiends
Silences Are Deadly
Dreams Are Dangerous
Thunderfly
They're Using Mind Control Tactics
Hold On For Your Life

Here's the lowdown and how we put the set together:

We had the Requiem For A Dream theme over the PA to create a sense of buildup- there's nothing worse than shuffling onstage and muttering a shy 'ummm... hi... we're a band', then stumbling into your opener.

Our opener, Fiends is a new song. This may only have worked because we have an established following, but if you've built up a fanbae who now know your material, starting with a newie can give your audience the signal to expect the unexpected. The song itself is fast-paced with a half-time chorus- these sort of songs tend to go down well first.

Silences Are Deadly is started by our drummer right after Fiends. This gave me a chance to get the audience clapping along while I introduced the band. This gives you a chance to let everyone know who you are and maintain momentum- do it. The song itself keeps up the pace, and is a well-known song of ours. Throwing out a well-known song really early can be exciting for an audience because it shows confidence in your new material.

Dreams Are Dangerous was a fan request that we we'ren't going to play, but we were bugged to before we wrote the set! We're glad we did, though- the reception was great. Throwing in a fan-favourite that isn't played often can really add a mid-set boost- Metallica are good at doing this.

Thunderfly is another newie. If you're going to be playing some new material to a familiar audience, make sure you spread it out- otherwise you could be in danger of making your fans feel a little alienated when they want to really get into it.

They're Using Mind Control Tactics is an instrumental that builds up and builds up- our Mogwai moment. The last chord is the first chord of...

...Hold On For Your Life- our most well-known song. Your most well-known song is probably well-known for a reason- people like it. It starts with just me playing guitar, so I was able to say a little end-of-gig speech before I started singing. Again, it's about MOMENTUM- we try to keep breaks to a minimum or off the menu completely. Completely irrelevant to the craft of the setlist, but it was awesome to be able to stop singing in the chorus and let the audience take over- nothing will ever top that for me.

Hope this helps y'all!
Last edited by Aidy Damage at Sep 25, 2009,
The band I am in is going to be doing a short gig for Ladies Tea, it's like a thing at the school for kids to bring their Mom's. Anyways, I am generally in charge of thngs like putting together a setlist. Here goes:

1. Tomorrow Never Stays (original, upbeat song. Compaers to 2000 light years away by Green Day)
2. Lost At Sea (A folky poppy song, with a slightly darker sound. Harmonica solo that is a real crowd-pleasr.)
3. Mad World (Our darkest song, but it's our only cover. It's a version that is like if Oasis played this song)
4. In A Hole (a sad-ish song, but shorter. Another original)
5. Wings (A VERY Beatlesy original, the most happy and upbeat song)

If we play a sixth, we will probably to Tomorrow Never Stays again. Does anyone know of any covers that would go over really well to that crowd? Our singer has a voice kind of like Rivers Cuomo of Weezer. Similair range, anyways.
Any advice on this setlist for a solo bar gig?

Love me Two Times - The Doors
Hey Joe - Jimi Hendrix
Something - The Beatles
Mannish Boy - Muddy Waters (bit concerned about this one - it's what I'm going to call myself, but I'm not sure if I've got the gravitas to pull it off, if you see what I mean?)
Bad Penny - Rory Gallagher
As Tears Go By - The Stones
Pride and Joy - SRV
Upbeat poppy original
Paradise City - GNR (reworked, de-solo'd)
Little T&A - The Stones
Creep - Radiohead
Wonderful Tonight - E. Clapton
Singleton Blues - original, blues, riff-based, fast
Garota de Ipanema - Tom Jobim
Layla (acoustic) - E. Clapton
Sweet Home Chicago - R. Johnson
Can't Take My Eyes Off You - Muse
Angel's Smile - original, fast-ish
Patience - GN'R

Cheers
Green Day fans....

(in other words, anyone who's just going to jump on and bash the project because 'pop punk pozers suck @ss' or whatever should really just move on and save your typing efforts....)

I'm putting together a Green Day tribute band. We're going to be doing what most people would consider "the usual suspects", and we're looking for some 'fan favourites' that Green Day fans would want to hear that might not have held much, if any, chart presence.

Here is our setlist so far (not in order yet):
Basketcase
Longview
When September Ends
Warning
Know Your Enemy
Boulevard of Broken Dreams
Geek Stink Breath
When I Come Around

We're looking at adding:
Minority
American Idiot
Jesus of Suburbia
Welcome to Paradise
Brain Stew
Jaded
Walking Contradiction
Hitchin' A Ride
Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)
Redundant
21 Guns

.... maybe Waiting?? Macy's Day Parade??

What other songs would YOU want to see added if YOU were to go see a Green Day tribute?

I know 20 songs looks like a lot, but when a lot of them are barely three minutes, and the expectation is to play for 90 minutes, we need at least a couple more songs. (the 19 songs I listed, according to my iTunes, comes in at 1.1 hrs, so 66 minutes. )

Thanks!

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by ehlert99
My secret to great crowd output----

This is my little secret to help some of you who want to do covers or get the crowd going.

I do this set 2nd which is around 10:15pm-11:10pm *times WILL vary with each playing*

Hit me with your best shot
I love rock n roll
Hurt so good
Takin care of business
Brown Eyed Girl
Walking on Sunshine
Blister in the sun
Mony mony
Jenny (8675309)
Authority song
I want you to want me
Kissed a Girl
Crazy Train (sometimes switched with johnny b.)

its not perfect but I haven't gotten complaints yet with it

That looks great for a 30-something crowd or even older. I'm curious as to how many younger people would dig this. There's almost nothing that is less than 20 years old. I would recommend keeping a lot of that, and not replacing but adding some newer stuff that is as popular as the songs that are already on your list.

Though it's true that there are bars that tend to draw that demographic, it is also true that there are more people in their 20's going to bars than there are people in their 30's or 40's. Significantly more. I would expect they would want to hear stuff from the last ten years or so.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote by axemanchris
Green Day fans....

(in other words, anyone who's just going to jump on and bash the project because 'pop punk pozers suck @ss' or whatever should really just move on and save your typing efforts....)

I'm putting together a Green Day tribute band. We're going to be doing what most people would consider "the usual suspects", and we're looking for some 'fan favourites' that Green Day fans would want to hear that might not have held much, if any, chart presence.

Here is our setlist so far (not in order yet):
Basketcase
Longview
When September Ends
Warning
Know Your Enemy
Boulevard of Broken Dreams
Geek Stink Breath
When I Come Around

We're looking at adding:
Minority
American Idiot
Jesus of Suburbia
Welcome to Paradise
Brain Stew
Jaded
Walking Contradiction
Hitchin' A Ride
Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)
Redundant
21 Guns

.... maybe Waiting?? Macy's Day Parade??

What other songs would YOU want to see added if YOU were to go see a Green Day tribute?

I know 20 songs looks like a lot, but when a lot of them are barely three minutes, and the expectation is to play for 90 minutes, we need at least a couple more songs. (the 19 songs I listed, according to my iTunes, comes in at 1.1 hrs, so 66 minutes. )

Thanks!

CT

Dude, I think Armatage Shanks has to be in there somewhere. It's one of their most rocking songs.
Green Day are awesome. I wish you the best of luck with your project. When September Ends is my favourite.
GEAR

Guitars
Danelectro Double Cutaway 1959 reissue, Jay Turser Vintage Series Strat

Pedals
Danelectro Reel Echo, Crybaby Wah, Boss DS-1

Amplifiers
Orange Crush 30w
Fender Pro Junior
@manipulator - thanks for your support. FTW

@drew - thanks for the suggestion. I'll look that one up. Any others?

CT

This honestly depends a lot on what you're playing, if you play classical, then your last song should be more epic or heroic then upbeat and poppy, at the same time, if you play, say, funk, then it's your middle section that should have the most action and the beginning that should just be mellow.

It really just depends on who your playing for, and boils down to common sense.
Quote by axemanchris
@manipulator - thanks for your support. FTW

@drew - thanks for the suggestion. I'll look that one up. Any others?

CT

My favroite Green Day song right now is Peacemaker. It's off their new album. Also Murder City and Last of the American Girls. If you want, ry something from their first album like At the Library of I was There.
Hey im going to do an acoustic gig for my high schools Theater opening night thing and i was wondering if this set list will be fine or should i add more (if yes what?) but heres The set list as of now by the way its a fifteen min set one before the show and intermission

Before show set list:
Yellow By Coldplay
Little motel by Modest mouse
Use somebody by Kings of leon
Float on by modest mouse
Sex on fire By Kings of leon
Just Breath By Pearl Jam
Dust In the Wind By Kansas

Intermission Set List:
Absolution By Megadeth
Black hole sun By soundgarden
Black By Pearl jam
Dosent remind Me By Audio Slave
Stellar By Incubus
Drive By Incubus
EverLong By Foo Fighters

What Do You Guys Think?
Quote by due 07
My favroite Green Day song right now is Peacemaker. It's off their new album. Also Murder City and Last of the American Girls. If you want, ry something from their first album like At the Library of I was There.

Hey, thanks for the suggestions. This is the second response in a row from places that I have asked that has suggested Peacemaker. Interesting. I wonder if it will be the next single. I'll also check out the other suggestions too. Thanks again!

CT

Alright, gig at a birthday party on the first, gonna be outdoors, me on rhythm and vocals, friends on drums, bass, and lead guitar. Setlist is such (not in order, want to know what a good sequence would be):

A Favor House Atlantic - Coheed and Cambria
Delirium Trigger - Coheed and Cambria
Waiting Room - Fugazi
Turnover - Fugazi
Under The Milky Way (acoustic) - The Church
Alright, gig at a birthday party on the first, gonna be outdoors, me on rhythm and vocals, friends on drums, bass, and lead guitar. Setlist is such (not in order, want to know what a good sequence would be):

A Favor House Atlantic - Coheed and Cambria
Delirium Trigger - Coheed and Cambria
Waiting Room - Fugazi
Turnover - Fugazi
Under The Milky Way (acoustic) - The Church

I don't know all of these songs well enough to suggest an overall order, but my old band opened up with Favor House a few times and it always went over well.
Hey I am getting a couple guys together to play at my Mothers 50th Birthday party.

Here is our rough set of songs we want to play

Bad Girlfriend-Theory of a Deadman
Deny- Default
Keep Away -Godsmack
Machinehead-Bush
Remedy-Seether
White Wedding - Billy Idol
Gasoline-Seether
Bad moon Rising - CCR
Man in the Box- Alice in Chains
Old time Rock and Roll - Bob Seger
Resurrection - Moist
Keep on rocking in the free world -Neil Young
Metallica - Whiskey in the Jar
Shook me all Night long -AC/DC

What what be a good order? This will be later in the night, with a couple others playing before us.
Quote by stangconv
Hey I am getting a couple guys together to play at my Mothers 50th Birthday party.

Here is our rough set of songs we want to play

Bad Girlfriend-Theory of a Deadman
Deny- Default
Keep Away -Godsmack
Machinehead-Bush
Remedy-Seether
White Wedding - Billy Idol
Gasoline-Seether
Bad moon Rising - CCR
Man in the Box- Alice in Chains
Old time Rock and Roll - Bob Seger
Resurrection - Moist
Keep on rocking in the free world -Neil Young
Metallica - Whiskey in the Jar
Shook me all Night long -AC/DC

What what be a good order? This will be later in the night, with a couple others playing before us.

Anyone?
My bands last song has been one of our songs that starts off slow and chill, but progresses to be really upbeat and heavy at the end, going with a big bang.
Quote by ehlert99
Well just remember, if your playing at bar/club venues most of the time youre paid to play what the crowd wants so make sure you keep your songs in relation to the area...

Example I am not going to play at a small town bar in wisconsin and have my sets be composed of Slayer/Opeth/Celtic Frost stuff..

I dont really agree...If you play a certain style of music, you can't change it to fit a certain show. I see it as if your music isn't right for the show/audience, then its not the right show for you to be playing in.
It helps (a lot) to have a setlist organized before the gig, but if the crowd isn't feeling it - try to change things up a bit. You're there for their entertainment, after all.

I actually saw a band once who had no organization. The guitar players only had one guitar with each of them, and every time they had to change tunings, there was a two-minute break in the entertainment. On top of that, they had no pre-arranged understanding of what they were going to play at all. After each song, they had to decide what to play next, and then change tunings, and . . . . gah!

I went home.
Last edited by Freunleven at Dec 4, 2009,
My old coverband used to end the night with "Killin in the name of" and it always went over huge. By the time we played it almost everyone was wasted and everyone was yelling along with the song. The energy was great.
Quote by Silveroon009
What do you think of this setlist for a power trio?

1. Seek & Destroy - Metallica
2. Peace Sells - Megadeth
3. Ace of Spades - Motörhead
4. Revolution - Judas Priest
5. Dead Skin Mask - Slayer
6. For Whom the Bell Tolls - Metallica

Fake Ending

7. Enter Sandman - Metallica*
8. Highway to Hell - AC/DC
9. Own Song

*Lights are off in the beginning and as soon as the bass kicks in lights begin to blink rapidly, to give the audience the actual Sandman music video feeling. Note: This only goes on for about 40 seconds. (check the song, from 0:16 to 0:56 more or less)

So, any suggestions? Is it ok?

This is for a cover band right? If you plan on being a cover band take out revolution and dead skin mask and implant more popular songs by those groups (Screaming for Vengeance and Angel of Death perhaps)

If you plan on being a more original band down the line, than screw it. write about 3 more originals so that you have 4 originals and 4 covers. 8 songs usually gives you at least a 30-35 minute set, which is as much as you'll get at most early venues. I would personally never play Sandman live. Ever. but hey it would get peoples attention...
Ok for my bands first gig would it be better to crank out a few originals, a few covers or some of each?
I enjoy Music

Quote by FatStrat890
Ok for my bands first gig would it be better to crank out a few originals, a few covers or some of each?

50/50 is a good ratio for your first gig. Expose people to your possible sounds, and show them were you come from in that aspect.
For my schools talent show this year, Me (I would be Lead and Vocals) a Friend (Guitarist) and a Drummer (Aquaintance ) would be doing a set. Now, possible Orders I see would be this.

Opener would be Stabwound by Necrophagist, with or without vocals. Preferable to have Vocals, but the School may not let us, as the rest of the school is fearful of things they don't understand.

Next would probably be a Necrophagist solo, Advanced Corpse Tumor most likely, but If I can get any others up to Live Playability, they could go here.

A song by Death, We have a few that we could do, Symbolic, Crystal Mountain, Bite the Pain, Moment of Clarity (All with Vocals) or Voice of the Soul with a 3rd Guitarist on Acoustic, which is most likely.

And I would like to end on either Voice of the Soul or The Stillborn one Solo, as both would be pretty epic to end on.

It would be a set of 10 minutes minimum from what the song length says, give or take.

Good set?
i have a gig in a couple of months in the university of medicine and so i want some suggestions....we're gonna play in front of some old people :S one of them is the minister of education and about 150-200 graduated doctors!(it's a reunion and they a band to play some music) so considering most of them are not heavily into music i am not gonna play any metal or heavy songs... we have 1 guitarist, a keyboardist, bassist, drummer and vocalist... son a couple of songs i thought about were shine on you crazy diamond by Pink Floyd (without the sax solo) and here comes the sun by The Beatles.... any suggestions??? thanx
Quote by Life Is Brutal
For my schools talent show this year, Me (I would be Lead and Vocals) a Friend (Guitarist) and a Drummer (Aquaintance ) would be doing a set. Now, possible Orders I see would be this.

Opener would be Stabwound by Necrophagist, with or without vocals. Preferable to have Vocals, but the School may not let us, as the rest of the school is fearful of things they don't understand.

Next would probably be a Necrophagist solo, Advanced Corpse Tumor most likely, but If I can get any others up to Live Playability, they could go here.

A song by Death, We have a few that we could do, Symbolic, Crystal Mountain, Bite the Pain, Moment of Clarity (All with Vocals) or Voice of the Soul with a 3rd Guitarist on Acoustic, which is most likely.

And I would like to end on either Voice of the Soul or The Stillborn one Solo, as both would be pretty epic to end on.

It would be a set of 10 minutes minimum from what the song length says, give or take.

Good set?

I think this is hilarious- Necrophagist at a talent show lmao, unless alot of kids like technical death metal at school nobody will get it, still ****ing hilarious. I'm just worried at how tight you guys can get and the proficiency of the other musicians- those are some tough songs, so make sure you can play all of them
Quote by tarekhaytham
i have a gig in a couple of months in the university of medicine and so i want some suggestions....we're gonna play in front of some old people :S one of them is the minister of education and about 150-200 graduated doctors!(it's a reunion and they a band to play some music) so considering most of them are not heavily into music i am not gonna play any metal or heavy songs... we have 1 guitarist, a keyboardist, bassist, drummer and vocalist... son a couple of songs i thought about were shine on you crazy diamond by Pink Floyd (without the sax solo) and here comes the sun by The Beatles.... any suggestions??? thanx

Pink floyd and The beatles would be great choices. Bob Dylan, Hendrix, anything oldschool sounds cool, maybe cheap trick (old people like cheap trick) or good 70s rock like Yes or Led Zeppelin.