Page 4 of 14
Ours wasn't really a 'gig', w had to do a performance for music, and we were going to just have a laugh and do a brutal death metal version of My Humps, or some other pop song, but the rhythm guitarist somehow got the idea that we would actually be performing in front of the whole school, and it would be a battle of the bands thingy with bands in the school, and he wanted to do an original. I decided he was probably right, and we decided to do a song we'd written. We left it until the last minute to actually do anything, and on the Thursday before the performance (It was the next Tuesday, I think), we basically showed each other riffs we'd written for it, wrote it down, and that night, I sent him a midi file I'd made with all the parts being played together. That weekend, the keyboardist, drummer, and rhythm guitarist all practised, I wasn't allowed to go with them, but that was alright since I thought I'd had it all worked out already.

Well, on the Tuesday, or whatever day it was, we found out it was just a performance in front of the music class. I was sort of embarrassed we'd gone to all this trouble when we could have done better by just playing a Metallica song or whatever, but oh well. It also turned out the drummer was actually a good drummer, when I thought we just got him to play drums cos he was our friend and there was no-one else. I'd just made him play really simple beats for the whole song, but I thought we'd still go alright.

Well, first we had a soundcheck, which was basically 5 minutes of me trying to find a lead that worked and plug it into my guitar, and as a result of not having a real soundcheck, the keyboard and vocals were inaudible, and my guitar was really loud, making the rhythm guitar almost impossible to hear. We started off, all was going to plan, except I hadn't learnt the verse riff. I thought the rhythm guitar would be loud enough to hear, so I just played the main riff over and over, hoping no-one would notice. They did, since no-one could hear the rhythm guitar. The verse ended, and now it was the chorus, the part where I was meant to sing. I'd learnt the words, and I was meant to just scream them. I can do alright black metal screams, so I did that, but since the vocals were inaudible, all anyone saw was me making funny faces. I looked up and saw everyone laughing, so I just walked away before finishing the chorus. Then there was the main riff, and I was meant to play a lead riff over it, but I forgot to. The verse started again, I played the wrong riff again, I made funny faces for the chorus again, and I forgot the lead riff again. Here was the part where everything stopped, the rhythm guitarist played a clean section, and I played my solo. We did that alright, I completely ****ed up the faster part of the solo, but it was mainly a slower melodic solo so I didn't care that much. Then the rhythm guitarist was meant to play a faster acoustic riff, and I was meant to play an electric riff that lead into the verse again, but the he just started playing the main riff, I didn't know what to do so I just palm muted an open E and went over to ask him what to do. He told me to just 'shred, it's what you're good at, Iit doesn't matter', I said I hadn't prepared anything and I couldn't, he said something about going into the chorus again, I didn't know when I was meant to do that and I was embarrassed about having to make funny faces for everyone again, I had no idea what I was meant to do so I just played the main riff until everyone else stopped playing.

But, it could have been worse, it could have been for a real gig.

EDIT: Whoops, sorry about the length...
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Jan 11, 2007,
Quote by Dutch_Apples
First Gig:

I grew up in a small town in which there were about 12 musicians from the age range of 8-68. I put my first band together with 2 friends at the age of 16 after playing guitar for a year. We didn't have a singer because we couldn't find one. A guy we auditioned who we knew from high school told us he didn't want to be in the band but we could play at his house party. There were a total of maybe 15 people there. This was during the nu-metal era of Disturbed & Limpbizkit and we were playing 80s style jam songs. We also had to use mics through guitar amps since we had no P.A. It was horrible. We played with another band though who was worse than us. We got through the songs, but there were girls asking the guy to tell us to stop. Stupid bitch.

Anyways, the band broke up the next day because of lack of interest. I didn't get into another "offical" band until 5 years later.

man thats sad about when the bitch told u to stop playing. i woulda smashed my guitar on stage and be like **** u all!!!!!
IF YOU WANT PEACE PREPARE FOR WAR!!

R.I.P. Dimebag Darrell

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
When I started playing in the band I am in now, we had three guitarist. We quickly realised that this would be a problem, but we were kind of new to the whole band thing, and we are all a buch of softies. So we had trouble tellling of the guitartist that he was fired. And aslo, he sucked big time, but he is a close friend.

We were playing our second gig in the town next to ours, and told him that he couldn't play beacuse the only had two guitar amps. The gig wen't reasonably well, and we were delighted to see that busses from our town were filled with people coming to see us. Anyways, he was in the crowd. And the band that was going on after us had 3 guitartist. So of course he noticed it.
We took the buss back home together with the people who were watching the concert. And I had my guitar in the bus, and was just playing to kill the time. he asked if he could play it a little bit, and I said ok. One guy, who knew him asked why he was not in a band. and he said: "I am, I play with these guys!" and he pointed to us.

I sat beside my drummer, and he just started laughing like crazy, our basist turned a slight shade of purple from restraining his laughter.

he didn't show for practise ever since. man we are a bunch of assholes!
...And the worms ate into his brain.
I seriously hope you aren't the one who types up ads for your band. If you do, I hope spellcheck gave you a nice big smack on the ass when you tried to.
Question not yourself. Challenge those who would deny you your true self for an independent thinker is the greatest enemy to those who seek to control you
My first gig was three months after i'd started guitar and three monthes after our bassist had started too... we were reasonably good at the songs we were going to play at this school gig thing where we had an opening slot. OUr singer was very shy though so we were trying to get her to open up a bit before.
basically our band was

Me - guitarist
Mhairi - piano (good friend but not very musically able, can't learn things well)
Chris - bass, complete asshole, never practices but was quite good at bass
Rosie - singer very shy
Eamonn - drummer and amazing but is never allowed to come to practice

So we all practise like crazy because it's our first gig and we were kinda crap but it was so hard when we never had a drummer... We finally nail hysteria by muse (not a good choice for people only been playing 3 monthes...) the weekend before the gig and the other song was a really easy kasier chiefs song (born to be a dancer) Thing is two days before the gig our bassist can't be bothered to practice and quits the band. This is not good. My arch enemy and a bassist from another band offers to play for us instead. I agree bitterly, because we really needed a bassist. So on the night i'm shitting myself because we have never practiced with our drummer or this other bassist. We start off with born to be a dancer and it goes well i do the solo ok and the drummer keeps us all in time. One thing went bad though. The bassist didn't play anything. At all. It's the easiest song in the world so he could have eaisly played root notes or something but no... After the show he tells everyone we asked him not to play it.... So for hysteria i was feeling pretty bad. The bassist did play for it but it was obvious he hadn't learnt the song and he played it on clean even though i told him to use his distortion pedal.... bastard.... I play ok apart from the solo which i mess up a bit but cover ok.... the singer doesn't sing at all in this song but she is really shy and she was upset about it so that's ok. Everyone told us we sucked but that was ok because most of them were our friends anyway. I loosened up a bit after the band after us were actually worse.... the final band had a best dancer competition and i thought what the hell and danced my best. I won so that was pretty cool.

I was so mad at chris though for quitting two days before. He says it was a joke and he joins again. We al let him because we are desperate though and need him. The singer quits the band though and says she's sorry. So we kinda half-hearted practice getting nowhere for the next few monthes. One day though we manage to persuade one of our friends to sing for us, she's really good does choir and stuff. Things start to look up again until chris stops coming to practise. He knows we need him though and relys on this to stay on the band. He pissed me off sooooo much those few weeks. Eventually i plead for the rest of the band to let me kick him out and they agree. So i do and he's all like "i'll find another band and we'll be way better than you!!" ALthough this was thoroughly satisfying we now have no bassist. After another month or so, one of my friends says she's going to start learning bass. I'm like yeahhh!!! because she's really nice but daunted at the fast she wont have learnt anything and will need to start from scratch. Luckily, she is a natural and learns songs like hysteria and i bet you look good on the dancefloor in less than a month. We all can't bellieve it, so we get another gig at a youth club. Which was last november. Our drummer starts coming to practises too which tightens us all up a lot. We start sounding good for like the first time ever so we go into the gig really confident.

this was our setlist

Miserlou - Dick Dale (cool into thing to play while singer introduce us all)
Get Free - The Vines
Feeling good - Muse
Seven Nation Army - Whites Stripes
With You - The Subways
Starlight - Muse
Plug in Baby- Muse

Everyone was expecting us to be shit from our last performance but we nailed every song. I improvised in seven nation army a lot and it and it sounded really good, our bassist was solid and the singer is amazing. In plug in baby though in the prechorus my plectrum shattered. This was not good. So i just hit the strings with my hand real hard and to my dismay my thumb starts bleeding. I held one of the chords and managed to pick up a pick up a bit of plectrum to finish the song on and it wasn't that much a setback but it threw me a little. The really cool thing is though everyone was like "wow, we honestly thought you'd be shit, but you kicked ass"

So we manage to get a gig two weeks after that at the biggest venue on my island (shetland) playing for three hundred peiople. I have a sore stomach all day and get really worried. I completely forget it all when i was playing though, i just jumped around and stood on monitors and that sort of thing. After the show though i'm sick everywhere as it turned out i had a stomach bug XD The pa guy then tells me it was recorded and we'd be getting a demo which was pretty sweet. That was in november and we were not bad for having a bassist only been playing for three monthes and me less than a year. Sorry this is so long
my first gig was at a music school end of term concert.
I was in the rock academy group and we were playing smashing pumpkins-cherub rock, so we get up on stage and get all hyped up to play and then the show organiser says "sorry guys but you're gonna have to wait for the under 5 year olds to do about 12 pieces"
So we had to sit there through bah bah black sheep etc. and to make things worse my amp at this moment just fell over making a huge crash and breaking this guys toe
(he was the other groups leader).
Everyone's staring at me at this point, i just shrugged my shoulders and went and picked the amp back up.
Finally we could start to play. The piece went great until the solo section. I jerked my bass up in the air and as i did this i crunched into the lead guitarist's face. So he was bleeding like hell and he still did the solo and then kept on playing. His guitar just had blood covering it.
Pretty eventful and after it me and the lead guitarist, us never really speaking to each other much, became best of friends.
Funny how something bad can turn out good
just got home from my first real gig. we played a billiards hall. i was real scared, my heart felt like a pit when i plugged in and our singer was like 'hey we're the terroristocrats'. we ended up totally rocking the place with some old skool afi, gg allin, misfits, and some originals too. we sold a ton of merch and we're getting another gig with the band we opened for. there was a sick pit, too.
Quote by GreenDayChris
I drink, and say oi occasionally. but I can't get laid to save my life.

Quote by Symphonic_Chaos
MX4Life you fucking godhaha
Oh boy, as an inexperienced gigger playing with a strict classical violinist who was terrified of performing, I think we scrubbed up pretty well. Although, there were various things that happened through the evening that really showed our lack of experience, I think we did pretty damn well. The set we played was:

Opener: Rocket To The Moon - Runrig

King & Jester Blues - Original

The Peeler's Away With Your Daughter - Traditional Jig

House Of The Rising Sun - Traditional

All Along The Watchtower - Bob Dylan

The Farm Song - Original

Hey Joe - The Jimi Hendrix Experience

~Andrew's Solo~ (Redepmtion Song)

King Of The Fairies - Traditional Jig

The River - Bruce Springsteen

Atlantic City - Bruce Springsteen

Knockin' On Heavens Door - Bob Dylan

~Phil's Solo~ (Monday Jump)

A Spanish Piece - Original

Don't Think Twice, It's Alright - Bob Dylan

John Henry - Traditional

Brown Eyed Girl - Van Morrison

Rockin' In The Free World - Neil Young

Drunken Sailor - Traditional

Closer: Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd

My solo piece was originally going to just be harmonica jam I'd written, but I changed it to Redemption Song at the last minute for fear of people getting bored with it. Shame the song didn't really fit in at all, but ah well.
Rockin' In The Free World got brought forward to and included in my solo section as well, because some guy kept requesting a Neil Young song, and it was - apart from having to get Phil to put my harmonica stand back up and tighten it so it didn't fall down again - the highlight of the show. We got a few claps and even a 'woo' for that one. Knockin' On Heaven's Door got a few claps as well, but other than that we went largely ingored by the pub. The drunken hecklers at the end though did enjoy Drunken Sailor, and we played 'Peeler's Away With Your Daughter' again, so as to appease their drunkedness. Only thing I'm really kicking myself for there, was that they were requesting a few hard rock songs (from a folk group, which is kind of stupid, but nevermind), but I'd toyed with the idea of learning Highway To Hell all week, only abandoning it at the last minute. Bollocks.
When we set up to play, there were about 16 people in the pub, so not that many at all, and about 8 when we finished up 2 hours later. We - as well as the guy who did our sound stuff - agreed that we didn't drive people away though, it was more just that it's a new pub (so there's no real regulars), it was raining so not many people were coming out anyway and most people were just pub crawling, so they weren't likely to stay in the one pub.

All in all, we both had fun at least, which is what matters, and we gained a lot of experience for one night, as well as a bit of respect from a couple of rock bands we're friends with for playing a two hour set as our first gig. And besides, we got free drinks, and they've taken our number so they can ring us for when they want us back, only they'll be able to advertise it as well, so we can draw a decent crowd.
Last edited by SomeEvilDude at Mar 3, 2007,
Well, since first gigs seem to be a fashion y trend here, I guess I'll share mine as well.

So, it was Syd's Café at my school (Just a coffee house we have each semester for the local talent), and we were up to play 3 songs. So, the first mistake we made was that we arrived rather late because we wanted to get a jam session in to practice before hand, so our sound check was just rushing through one song. So, we turned our stuff off, and the show began.

The first half was all acoustic acts, and it was nice from what I could see back stage crapping my pants with nervousness running through chromatic scales. Then the second half was the amplified acts. It started with a couple guys on electric doing 3 long, boring, crappy song. Then another group which was pretty good, followed by another that was slightly better. Now, since the first group played 3 long song, we were running short on time, so the teacher who was running the show cut my band and the closing band down to two songs. (I don't know why, we finished well before 10 o'clock, bastard. (He also just got busted for possession and having sex with a 16 year old student. Weird, eh?)). So I was pissed. I wanted to play our 3 songs.

Well, I knew our time was coming up, so I went to take a nervous relieving piss (anyone else get that? You get nervous so you have to pee?) and then ran through more chromatic scales to get warmed up.

We went on stage, and plugged in. We started playing our first song, which was "Riot" by Three Days Grace. It started out good, but right after the other guitarist came in, he forgot to wrap the patch cord around his strap, so he got one chord in, and stepped on the lead and pulled it out. Since he was nervous, he didn't realize what the hell happened, and he missed a couple bars before he plugged back in. Then it all went great until the bridge. The monitors on the stage were horrible. I couldn't hear my drummer, my drummer couldn't hear me, and yea. That lead to a lot of off timed crap. But we managed to get through it, and through the last chorus to end the song. The crowd loved it, and I was crapping my pants.

So, we started playing out second song, "Beast and the Harlot" by Avenged Sevenfold, and it went extremely good. The only thing I found wrong with it, was that I messed up in the solo. But again, the crowd loved it.

All in all, it was a pretty good first show. I had tons of fun. After it, I got tons of compliments like "Omg how did you learn to play that well?!" and "omg you;re such an amazing guitarist". I know I'm not that good, but i couldn't help but feel flattered

Oh, and when I first got out there, I could barely play because my arms and legs were shaking so much. But I had a good time.

And that's my story.
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
Well I had to do a solo performance for Music class
So I did Smells Like Teen Spirit
Amatuer I know.
I practise it perfect
Then I got up.
Nerves.
screwed up.
Wenn die Nack einfällt
bedeckt sie die Welt
mit undurchdringlicher Dunkelheit.
Kälte steigt vom boden auf
und verpestet die Luft
plötzlich...
hat das Leben neue
Bedeutung

Burzum "Dunkelheit"
Ok then people, I'm writing up our review of my bands' gig last night for you all.

It was advertised as a 60s night, and it was a charity concert for the evening. There was a professional band booked to play, and when the people were sat eating in the interval, my band (myself on guitar/vocals/harmonica and a friend on violin) were going to play two numbers, the school swing band (for which we both play in) was going to play two numbers, and then some other girl from school was going to sing two songs solo. The plan was that I'd be finished up by about 9:30, and then myself, the keyboardist from the swing band and the bass player from the same were going to go to a local pub to see an old teachers' band play. They were scehduled to be on at about 10pm, so we figured we'd have time.
However, as nothing can ever go according to plan, the teachers' band ended up actually playing at half 9, and the interval for the charity gig was at about 10; when we heard about it the keyboardist and bass player decided they were going to go the pub instead, so the remaining two interval acts had to play three songs each.
Come round to soundcheck at about half 8, I plug in, play Cohen's 'Hallelujah' to warm up, get a bit of attention from people. Fiddle player plugs in, and we both play round a simple C - F - C - G progression, and I make up some lyrics about the keyboardist being ginger. Everybody wins.

In any case, the evening commences, and the band play through - they're really good - but they don't just play sixties songs, so about 15 minutes before we're set to go on, myself and Phil go outside and decide to drop 'All Along The Watchtower' from our set and replace it with 'Knockin' On Heavens Door'. We start tuning up, and Phil turns the wrong peg on his electric violin too far and breaks his D string. And he has no spares. Lovely, eh?

We panic a little bit, but eventually settle to play unplugged with his acoustic violin, and only mic. the vocals/harmonica.
In any case, come round to the interval, the other girl who's supposed to be singing has turned up. We wait 5 or so minutes, get introduced get up there and play:

House Of The Rising Sun - all the lyrics from the Woodie Guthrie version, but the Animals arrangment of. Lots of applause.

The Peeler's Away With Your Daughter - traditional jig, which Phil makes a few slips on, but we scrub up pretty well and get decent amount of applause.

Knockin' On Heavens' Door - I simply introduce the song and we get clapped, and considering it's such a damn easy song to play we breeze through it. Not being a particularly great singer, I manage to duff a couple of notes in the second chorus, but Dylan wasn't much of a singer either, so all's well.

Then something that we - albeit we're pretty damn inexperienced, but nonetheless - weren't expecting: we actually get asked to do an encore. There's two songs we've got floating around that we can play on, I'm slightly keener to do one, Phil would rather do the other. I tell the crowd we're going to give them a choice, and they want us to just play both songs. Hot diggity damn.

Atlantic City - quite a few murmurs round the room when I announce we're going to do an 'old Springsteen number', and in typical style I duffed the vocals on the opening line, but sang alright for the rest of it. Again, decent amount of applause.

Rockin' In The Free World - hell, what can you say about this one? It's a great song, easy to play, easy to sing; we blast through it and get a lot of applause. I announce Phil is still single, we take our leave to more applause. Everybody's happy.

And - unfortunately Phil went home shortly after - people kept coming over steadily throughout the evening to tell me that we were really good. So yeah, it went amazingly well, there was a steady number of about 50 people throughout the night, and all in all it was highly enjoyable. Certainly it went better than the previous gig did (couple of posts up).
This is what happened at our first gig, which wasn't a proper gig, just at a party, but there were still a lot of people watching us.

We went on, I introduced us, started playing the opening number, which starts with a little Eastern-flavoured reverb-heavy run (I kid you not). Halfway through it, the lights all turn off.

The problem is amended so we try again. The first song went brilliantly, me and Paul (guitarist) disguising looking at each other to get our cues as rawk posing, and my Ebow solo collecting the normal barrage of 'What was that little thing with the blue light on it?' after the gig.

Second song, Paul sings. It was one he'd played to us that morning in the rehearsal and we'd deemed it good enough to put in the set. We were still a bit unsure playing it though, and at the end we ended up jamming before managing to come to some sort of organised ending. I don't think anyone noticed.

Third song was our epic rock opera, which went smoothly and we also broke the record for how long it goes on for, which still stands at 21 minutes.

Fourth song is based around a funky-Pink-Floyd riff (you know what I mean, stuff like Run Like Hell or a massively sped-up Have A Cigar). We cocked this one up a bit - I forgot the words and had to make them up and Paul managed to remain half a beat ahead of everyone else through the whole song and somehow not notice.

The highlight was numero 5, a bit of a jokey number that we wrote to play in our school leaver's concert about two of our friends being in love (when they actually hate each other). Amazingly, most people remembered the words and were singing along, and since Paul sings that one too I took a trip through the crowd courtesy of a long lead.

We were meant to have a ballad next but we decided to skip it. We'd got everyone energised by now, so we went into our cover of Spinal Tap's Tonight I'm Gonna Rock You Tonight, which was textbook.

We, or specifically Paul, completely ruined the last song. Part 1 is made up of slow, ominous minor chords and bowed guitars with funk breakdowns as the chorus, then during the last chorus I use the bow and a looper to create a drone note with the amp volume turned down, then the rest of the band stop as I gradually fade the drone in. At this point, Paul is meant to kick in with a massive, jarring riff which leads into the rock-out which makes up part 2 and our dramatic finale. Instead he goes back to the verse parts of part 1, and a Muse-esque riff and a softly-strummed clean D minor are 2 very different things. This led to us all bumbling to a halt and ending the gig on a fizzle rather than a bang. It didn't matter, because everyone thought the first part of the song was cool enough, and saying how cool it was that I used a bow on my guitar.

We've got some creases to iron out but we had a solid set. There's a few minor alterations being made before we finally reconvene when our uni terms all finish.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

FUZZY FLATPICKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
probably like my first real big gig like 300+ people at my high school talent show, before our band had played probably like 4-6 times before that in really small settings. so we where all really nervous and I was especially nervous so i decided it would be a good idea to drink a lil bit and loosen up.HAHA thats 15 year olds logic right there. So we started playing our first song and it was going really really well, so much so that i started really getting into it and was jumping around and headbanging and all that sh*t. Before long probably like 1 minute into the song i jumped up and from consuming booze got really really dizzy when i landed, stepped forward and off the stage which was like 5 feet above the floor. fell into a piano and almost pulled my amp off stage with me.HAHA that was great never felt more embarassed, probably a good solid year before i started playing gigs again..but this time definately sober
ESP Explorer Custom Shop
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
Marshall 1960 A cab
Engl Powerball
Genz Benz G-flex
Washburn Dime 3 custom shop..wanna buy it??
Quote by evilslapmonkey
probably like my first real big gig like 300+ people at my high school talent show, before our band had played probably like 4-6 times before that in really small settings. so we where all really nervous and I was especially nervous so i decided it would be a good idea to drink a lil bit and loosen up.HAHA thats 15 year olds logic right there. So we started playing our first song and it was going really really well, so much so that i started really getting into it and was jumping around and headbanging and all that sh*t. Before long probably like 1 minute into the song i jumped up and from consuming booze got really really dizzy when i landed, stepped forward and off the stage which was like 5 feet above the floor. fell into a piano and almost pulled my amp off stage with me.HAHA that was great never felt more embarassed, probably a good solid year before i started playing gigs again..but this time definately sober

OUCH!!!
That must have been an impact and a half
www.myspace.com/symmetry4321

Quote by RockerPseudonym
I think stone is either 7 or 14 lbs

Edit I'm gonna go with 14 because it's rather unlikely you're 56 pounds

Quote by evening_crow
sounds like....u need a...

BAND MEETING!!!
My first gig
About a year ago, there was this contest at out school. It's kind of like Eurovision, the deal is you have to perform a song in the extra language you're studying (in my case french). As my friend and I played guitar, we thought "OMG LET'Z ZHOW OURZ ZZUPPERR ZKILLZZ AT ZE GUITAR", so we decided to enter. However, we couldn't find a drummer, so I was behind the kit. On bass was this stupid ****ing lame son of a bitch that I don't like. He had never played before, but the song was fairly easy so even an idiot son of a bitch as him could play it. Anyway, we practiced a couple of times. And then- woo gigtime. We played quite well. I wore a totally cool anarchist outfit. I headbanged so hard that I dropped my sunglasses. So after that, we decided that we should start a band together. However, the bass player was too lame, so he wasn't in it. Haha. And we got a better drummer, so I got to play guitar.
Gear as 2015:
Ibanez PGM401
Music Man JP6 (for sale)
Music Man Axis (for sale)
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Ibanez EW Acoustic Steel string
Crappy Cort Acoustic 12-string
NI Rig Kontrol 3 & Guitar Rig 5
m and a friend kinda have a band of some sort. we both play guitar and usually we play together. yesterday we had our first gig. it was in a folk kinda joint. ok, two acoustics and me doing vocals. all went well except for when the first harmonica fill came i held the harmonica upside down but that was easily corrected.
Well, still reeling from the unmatchable feeling of stage uphoria, I'm here to enlighten you all on my latest gig extravnganza:

This one I drummed for, as is the lineup for the sixth form rock group, affectionately dubbed 'Enter Shakira'. We Ginge on bass, Speck on guitar and Woman on vocals.

This was a county festival of which all manner of bands and stuff were playing and we were last on. To my utter dismay upon arrival, they only have an electronic drum kit - which I don't like very much - but in good taste I merely shrug and bear it.

We finally get up there after talking over the things we needed to tweak and then we rock the fucking joint. We were only allowed eight minutes per entry, so we had two songs to do, 'Wannabe' by the Spice Girls, and 'Livin' On A Prayer' by Bon Jovi. Admitedly great songs anyway, but for the audience too it was a welcome change from the two hours of Green Day and Arctic Monkey - practically anyway, there were a few other songs thrown in - covers.
In short, in terms of audience reaction, we were the best band there. We all thoroughly enjoyed it as did the audience. We all got everything practically perfect; I slipped up on timing once but recovered immaculately so that only the drummers in the audience noticed it, and our guitarist messed the lead lick in the second verse of Bon Jovi, but also recovered it perfectly so it was barely noticeable.

We came third, but we all really enjoyed it, so it's all good. The band who came second didn't - in most of our opinions - deserve to get it, but ah well, what can you do? At least the duo who came first deserved it; they were brilliant.
first gig;
it was an acoustic show and we were only allowed one song for some reason, so we decided ok lets go with down in a hole-alice in chains. we get up there, playing for roughly 80-100 people drummer behind us bassist,guitarist and me(vocals and guitar) and they set the mics up against the guitars and im like ok well wheres my mike for singing and nobody does anything so im up there playing and singing without a mike. we're playing the song and i **** up the lyrics singing half of the first verse and then put the other half on the second verse in there and the same thing for the second verse, the song ends 2 bars early, i had no mike, and to finish it off our drummer breaks the house set drums and carries the symbol off stage. we get off the crowd is incredibly loud considering how much we screwed up. i get all these compliments on my singing and im like wtf i had no mike. quite an interesting night
First Gig...like thing...:
My band got together in like october maybe novemberish and when we started off it was me, my best friend as the guitarist and another friend as our drummer, we were thinkin about playin some nirvana, but none of us could sing it, another one of our friends had taken up guitar recently so we let him in as our rhythm guitarist, we had him with us for about 4 months before the gig and we changed songs before just about every practice, when we finnaly decided we had about 3 practices to get the song down, it took our second guitarist about a month to learn the chorus to the song, so the day of the show we were playing in the middle after a girl who acapellad a christina aguilerra song... ew... so anyways, we get up and our guitarist plays eruption as a solo before our song, (he made it his bitch) so we get into our actual song and u can hear the guitar and drums and bass, but when we got to the chorus you couldn't hear the rhythm guitar because he wasn't plugged all the way into his jack, he said he was trying to figure out why but I don't think he was, I screwed up in the chorus to but I recovered fairly quick, when we were done we got a good amount of applause and everyone said we sounded good but didn't think our lead guitarist could sing because we had no one else to, we got a couple comments about him sounding like a chipmunk but besides that it was a good gig
So my band played at my school this past Friday. Fucking amazing! We had played there earlier in the year, and it was out debut show. We did pretty good, and they knew what we could do. This was a Coffee House, so we only got to play 3 songs, but it's better than nothing. So, they called us on, and we walked out, and still hadn't plugged in or anything, and a crowd of about 20 people had already swarmed to the front of the stage. We started playing our first song, Behind Closed Doors by Rise Against, and we all got really into it. The crowd had grown to about 50-60 people in front of the stage rocking out. The energy just takes you over. I'm usually a still guy on stage, but I was doing guitar moves, rocking out, moving around and everything. The energy just overwhelmed us all. It was amazing. We played almost perfectly, some mistakes, but we shrugged it off, as the audience didn't notice, because they were moshing too hard in front of us. The cheering, the screaming after starting a song, after playing a riff in the song, after singing the chorus in the song, after finish the song; I couldn't beleive it. I sang the best I ever had that show. And we as a band did the best we ever had. We were the best band there my popular opinion, and we got tons of congrats after out set. They were even chanting for an encore. They wanted more of us. Who would have thought there would be moshing, screaming, and encore desires from a band with the joke name Cute Fluffy Pink Thing? It just felt amazing up there. It was a great show. I can't wait to play again.

Quote by RadioHead22
First Gig

So back about a year ago, I was in a band with some friends from school. We were all into the same kind of music ( Metallica, Mudvayne, Lamb of God etc). So after us being togerther for , maybe 4-5 months, we got our first gig at a friends party at his house. There we're 3 bands there, us, a grunge/punk band, and this Emo/Screamo band. So, we get there, hours before the show to set up. And everything's going good. The two songs we were going to play were Fade to Black, and then me and the drummer/guitarist, were going to player Determined by Mudvayne. Now, I had only been playing for a few months, so I didn't have very good gear. I still had my Squire Starter Pack, with this small 15 Watt Fender Amp. My guitarist had a, I believe he said 1,000 Watt Marshall Half-Stack. BIIIIG difference isn't there? Well, the bassist in the Emo band, had a friend who was letting him borrow a Fender 100 Watt Rumble amp, which they let me use. So I have a bigger amp, but I still don't know if I can be heard. Well, the party comes around, and its time for us to play. Were all nervous since it's our first gig, but we started Fade to Black, and it went fine. The only thing is my guitarist can't count, so I would have to hold up how many fingers, to tell him how many times he plays this one riff. So we get into the chorus of the song and everythings fine. The guitarist nails his solos after wards, and its all good. BUT, I was the only person in my band who learned the last, 1 and a half to 2 minutes at the end of the song. So we end up ending the song on just and open E, and we don't get to hear the ending solo.

So, first song through, it went fine. After I'm done detuning my bass for the next song, our drummer/guitarist gets his Les Paul, and we start Determined. I was pumped for this song, because it has a great bass line. So the song starts, and it goes great. We're about halfway through the song, and come to this new verse part in the song, and my guitarist just totally looses time. Hes not playing on the right beats, and we sound off, but nobody notices. So we finish the song, and it was fine.

Pretty exciting for my first gig.
First Gig

Super excited got everything prepared like 5 months before. 2 days before the gig they told us we couldn't use the place. Last day before we were frantic looking for a place, we got permission to use a house under construction without no electricity yet... We arrived to the place with a really long extension cable and asked the neighbors for electricity. Got it and everything was going ok.

Then we started our first song (green day song) and i see my girlfriend kissing one of my friends. I didn't stop the gig or anything but i just kept looking and i just played like shit, i didn't care anymore. We were on the last song of the gig and i still dedicated the song to the girl, we finished and i fell like shit.
Not a first gig but a story nonetheless

In a dingy smokey pub, we are in the quater finals of this talent contest we entered. We bring our 35-40 person crowd with us to the bar because it is safer for all of them. We got in there and found a place near a darts board.

Things are going ok, the house band they have can all play thier instruments very well but can't mix it to save thier lives and all you can hear is the bass. Then the show starts up and there are some fairly average pub singers and a couple of half decent ones (and a bloddy amazing young opera singer), most of them were women and most of the judges looked like horny old men so we realised the odds were probably against us.

I start to feel really nervous, end becoming a complete wreck and sitting in the corner making sure my bass is still in tune and in a decent condition to play in. During the time between us and everyone else one of my bands guitarists asks out one of our audience members (she says yes after exams and stuff), my drummer is getting annoyed at the kit we have to use (a sort of hollow acoustic thingy???), the singer has forgotten all the words as usual and the other guitarist is getting an earful by the pub owners.

The people who were most comforting to me were my girlfriend, her best mate and my guitar teacher (who turned up unexpectadly). I ended up almost crying at one point because i was worried about not getting through despite the mainly quite easy competition we had to come up against.

We are last up so i feel make crap with every passing minute then i end up sitting by the door of the toilets thinking of how worse it could get. Then i hear the host person call our name. I shout at the top of my lungs "****ing hell" and get the bass on. I was suddenly very pumped, as if i was going to beat someone up who i hated. I get up there and i have at leat half the crowd looking at me as if i was some sort of god (then again i was being constantly told that i was the best bassist they had ever met) and that got me even more excited.

I had problems with my lead throughout the first song but somehow i hold my parts together (i think god likes me ) and despite a couple of other problems the crowd (even some of the regulars rushed to the front because apparently we ruled) which i swear was about 100 people went mental for us and the mother of all cheers went up. I went into the crowd and they mobbed me so i had to go back up in prepaeration for the second song. We played it pretty well and i got pointed by the drummer and guitarists during the bass break which was cool. Our singer forgot the words to thwe chorus second time around so our drummer stepped in and filled the gap. Then at the end of the song we did one of thiose big ending things and i took my bass off and broke part of the celing . Once again the crowd goes mental, i get off stage and my girlfriend makes out with me for about a minute .

After about 20 minutes of waitng i find out that we are out and then i feel like crap again. But then our fans chanted our name after the house band stopped playing and it was so loud it made me feel like i had let them all down. However i did sign my first auotgraph that night, and it was a woman's throat!! That was very cool. Even the regulars were annoyed that we went out but i'm sure the whole thing was fixed anyway and the owners daughter is going to win it overall.

Sorry that was so long!

Quote by RockerPseudonym

Quote by evening_crow

BAND MEETING!!!
Last edited by METSOAD at May 16, 2007,
Quote by Chinomaster182
First Gig

Super excited got everything prepared like 5 months before. 2 days before the gig they told us we couldn't use the place. Last day before we were frantic looking for a place, we got permission to use a house under construction without no electricity yet... We arrived to the place with a really long extension cable and asked the neighbors for electricity. Got it and everything was going ok.

Then we started our first song (green day song) and i see my girlfriend kissing one of my friends. I didn't stop the gig or anything but i just kept looking and i just played like shit, i didn't care anymore. We were on the last song of the gig and i still dedicated the song to the girl, we finished and i fell like shit.

Oh man! That really sucks. I couldn't imagine playing a gig, and seeing my girlfriend cheating on me while I'm up there. I feel for you, man.

Quote by RadioHead22
Quote by Chinomaster182
First Gig

Then we started our first song (green day song) and i see my girlfriend kissing one of my friends. I didn't stop the gig or anything but i just kept looking and i just played like $$$$, i didn't care anymore. We were on the last song of the gig and i still dedicated the song to the girl, we finished and i fell like $$$$.

oh my god, that is quite sucky really

to see it happen when you are playing on stage, that is rather creul

my condolenses

Quote by RockerPseudonym

Quote by evening_crow

BAND MEETING!!!
My first "gig" was a few days ago for some talent show in my school.

I ended up plugging my guitar into the PA system on accident.

'Nuff said.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
I'm bored and felt like sharing my first recording experience...if you can call it that...

Two Wednesdays ago we find out that the demo to play at our college bash had to be in the following Tuesday, a week earlier than we had expected.
So, our vocalist gives the bassist a ring...and...our drummer has no drumkit...he's sold it to fund buying a new one. And the practice area which had a PA which we WERE going to record through isn't available that week.
We pretty much gathered this wasn't going to end well.
So our bassist and other guitarist wing it over to our vocalists house and we set up in his front room with...dun dun dun....the drum being played off his laptop....from guitar pro 5....through some stereo speakers. And if that wasn't bad enough...we had to record onto a cassette tape, which had a t-shirt over it because it helped muffle background noise.
What a lovely...high class recording experience that was. And because it was for a college bash and they wanted recognisable tunes want to know what we recorded?
1. Wonderwall
2. Pretty Fly for a White Guy
3. Stand by Me
4. Teenage Kicks
5. All the Small Things
6. Smells like Teen Spirit.

Oh the shame........
Well, this is not my first gig story but it is my first gig with this band.
May 27th, last sunday was freaking amazing. This was my first show with Kavatica and only their 3rd show ever. It was our EP Release Party so this was OUR show. not to shabby for a local band with only 2 shows under our belt too have a headlining gig for their 3rd show! We had 116 kids paid in attendence, plus the bands made for about a grand total of somewher around 135-140 people. First to play was Fatal Deception(debut show), then the OUTCOME (good band,debut show), then Adaje(ummm...no comment), then equilibrium(good memphis band), and then Us, Kavatica! we set up our gear and stuff and then at the end of the 3rd song i look down and my cable is sticking out of my guitar at a 45 degree angle...which is not good considering my input jack is not angled....suprisingly it is still working so at the end of the song i rip it out and through a new one in and boom we are good to go. other than that there were no major setbacks...it was a pretty good show. I felt i played maybe a little rough but we were still super tight. but then again, i haven't been on stage in like 10 months so not to bad i guess. We sold like 25 EP's or somethin. not to bad. got payed like 100 bucks too. heck yeah.
we should have video up within the next week on our myspace if you guys wanna check it out....but give it a week or two. it's in my sig.
KAVATICA EP OUT MAY 27TH
http://www.myspace.com/kavaticatn

Quote by kanamvar32
here's what I'd recommend based on you saying you want it in a down-tuned LP for Death Metal and Grindcore (idk what that is but its probably heavy):
something to solve most of these stories (or a lot of them, at least) is to ask for an extra couple of minutes to make sure volume levels and things are right, to avoid embarassing mishaps.

Anyway, our band has been together a couple of months, but we all have real busy schedules so we're lucky if we can get together once a week. At one of our band practices, we took a break and went upstairs and started playing BopIt. We came up with "extreme BopIt" (not bopit extreme, mind you. thats different.) This is where whenever it says "pass it!" you throw the BopIt at whoever you feel like and hope they catch it to continue. This started a tradition for a couple of weeks, but then one day the Pull It broke off and everything sorta stopped.

Crappy story, but i didn't want to but in just to spam up the thread.
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

Our first gig:
Every year my school puts on a talent show. When I was in the 9th grade I saw an amazing performance of "Crazy Train" and knew then that I would play next year.
So there I was a sophmore. I spent all year getting better at guitar and looking for a band. One by one I found people to jam with. I taught the bass player how to play bass, and because the show was fast approaching, he only knew songs I taught him. The drummer was never very good, but he had a drum set, so he was in. Now the singer had never sung before, nor had he ever jammed with us before, but he said he would sing so he was in too. Now I was pretty much bandleader at this point so I ran off mix tapes of songs I'd like to play. After hearing the tape, they all were crazy about playing Am I Evil? by Diamond Head. So I worked day and night to teach it to the bass player. Not much of a problem, because he's a fast learner. The "singer" agreed to listen to the song a lot and study the lyrics, as he couldn't make practice. the drummer flat out hated practicing. I had known this song 100% for months in advance.
So the date approaches, and I think "we should each have a solo spot!" So I work the guitar solo before the song, the drum solo in the bridge (at the tempo break) and the bass solo right before the outro. I then proceeded to inform the bass player about pentatonics and tell the drummer to work up a solo.
Well let's skip to D-Day. They all ride the buss home with me at 3:30. Show is at 7:00. This is our first rehearsal. Well guess what? The singer doesn't know the song. And the bass player knows it, but doesn't know the order of the sections. Drummer of course claims to know it but refuses to rehearse. So the singer sits in the corner listening to the song while I prep the rhythm section and print out a lyrical cheat sheet. Turns out he was listening to poetry he recorded and insists on reading it before the song, claiming it to be his solo spot. I say fine, as long as we play. So we're looking at the clock and it's 6:30, we missed soundcheck! So we go to school, bringing only a guitar and a bass, because we were told to use house amps/P.A. system.
So we get there in time for a sound check. Turns out the house amp is a 60 watt peavey combo! And it has no EQ! And the drummer refuses to sound check on house drums, claiming to be ready. So at this point I'm seriously considering backing out.
Anyways we're second from last. Other acts include piano ballads, jazz improv, and a Cream cover band. Before we go on, the announcer introduces us as "Flaming Death Comes". I shoot my singer a nasty look, as he was the one who singed us up under such a name. When we go on, the singer reads his little poem about D&D, while I play the acoustic part of Master of Puppets to it. Then for my solo spot I play the live version of Dee by Randy Rhoads. Then the song kicks in. Right away I notice I can't hear myself. So I turn around and turn the volume to 8. (Gain is on 10) Song goes on, I have to turn around and turn it up again. Finally I turn every knob on the amp to 10. Still quiet as hell.
The singer doesn't sing, so much does he talk through the song. It sounds HORRIBLE! The drummer is apparantly afraid of everything but the high hat and the snare, as he sticks to metronoming those two drums the entire song. You can imagine the drum solo. The guitar solo comes along, and I play it note for note, and it sounds good. Too bad no one can hear it. When it's time for the bass solo, I hold the chord to segue it, but guess what? SILENCE. He chickened out.
The annoncer says "well, um, that was "Flaming Death." SILENCE. CRICKET NOISES. We walk off stage, never to play together again.
Later on, feedback was typical. "you were too quiet! the drummer sucked! WTF was up with that singer?" Also, for the rest of the year, people who were there (luckily not many) would ask if random things were evil. "Is this peanut evil? YES IT IS!!"

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
well I dont really have anything (other than just unprepared gis) cept that today at band practice we had the best jam session I've ever had. Ever.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
Also, for the rest of the year, people who were there (luckily not many) would ask if random things were evil. "Is this peanut evil? YES IT IS!!"

That's freaking hilarious, although I bet it'd annoy me after the nth time.

My first gig will be coming up soon, so I'll probably update this post with it.
Quote by fukyu1980
LOL ! muther fuker i was gonna say that LOL!
Little encouragement for today: Never forget where you came from.

Today, I was in my hometown at this outside Tiki bar and when I was walking around I noticed a building. This building was a crab/seafood processing plant that I used to practice in with a few friends when I was around 16. One of my music friends' dad was one of the managers of this place and it was the only place we could find to practice. Imagine having to drag your equipment through a watery floor and then setting up in a room with about 100 baskets of crabs.

At the time we didn't care, we were all very excited to just be playing music and writing together. We all had our dreams and just talked for hours about music.

Just seeing the door to this place brought back a lot of memories and my first thought was how far I had come. If any band told me they were practicing in a seafood processing plant now, I would probably laugh at them and not take them seriously..but one of those band members could have been someone like me who had drive and commitment and rose above being nobody stuck in a small town.
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.
MY FIRST GIG
First of all my band had gathered up a month before the gig as it was really a conest getween bands of junior highschool and highscool. I had learned to play bass 2 days before the first practice and was a music noob. All opthers had played for quite a while but never in a band, also we had the problem we had no singer, we tried with some but none were good enough (the standards weren't very high). We asked a friend to sing with us until we found a better one he agreed and that same day we recorded the tape we had to send to be admitted in the contest.
We practiced some days and by a miracle school was suspended for three days before the contest so we used to practice all day.
D-Day we went to school did a test then escaped to do the soundcheck the returned to do a nother exam and then got out again for final practice. when we got to the stage we were very nervous as it was the firsty time any of us played in front of an audience and it was a BIG audience 500 people i think or something like that. in the first song the lead guitar unplugged accidentaly and didnt sound, we made an effort so that anybody noticed and the second song we nailed it, as they were all covers people knew the lyrics and sang along, it was great as the singer forgot the lyrics of both songs.
After that we were thrilled by it except the lead guitar as he sounded awfull but we cheered him up and acepted all.
At the end we knew we wouldnt win but we came 2nd in our category not bad for a band that got together a month before
Not really a gig or anything, but the band I had just joined (I joined the band after they had been a band for like 2 days).

Lineup
Wes: drums (he setup the band. good friend of mine, but he nromally plays gutiar but hes a good drummer, too. hes played guitar since he was like..... 4 and hes 17)
Jonathan: lead gutiar (hasnt been playin very long. hes arite but he has no sense of rhythm at all. and its not like the part in the song we had I couldnt do so it was more like he was there first so he was lead)
Christian: vocals (jonathans older brother with ADHD. he owned two toms and one of the bass drums in the drum set rather than Wes, and he loved to **** around with them even though he couldnt play. got relaly annyoing cause we couldnt tune the guitars at all cause hed scream or somthin. and he is a horrible singer anyway)
me: rhythm guitar (this was like last month and I have been playin since like november. I'm decent. i acn at lesat play the songs we had, which were simple. my having played violin since i was 7 helps a lot cause i already have a sense of rhtyhm, which is what the band needed)
we had a guy, paul, who was gonna learn to play bass to be in the band.

So jonathan, uos being a band for like a week and having only one song which we werent done with decided to invite someone over (who has played gutiar AWHILE) to watch us play. so we figure we might as well have some other friends over to watch -.-
yea. nice idea, eh?

ok so me and Wes meet up before we're all supposed to play, and now i just got off from bein groudned becaues i acme home really late the last time we all jammed, because we had to help someone we found (a friend of ours i guesS) who was drunk off their ass get home
so we meet up and go to their house (we all played in their basement. lookde like a bomb shelter)

its empty.
neither the chris nor john were tjhere. so we wait a bti and in like ten minutes christian and his mother come home with groceries. so we help them bring them in and then go itno the basement. i grab the schecter (we had 3 gutiars there. jonathan used a BC Rich Warlock and I had been usin a Mockinbird but I ended up breaking a string on it and, we had no strings, i started usin the schecter, which i liked better anyway). now, we are trying to tune up and chris has this one tom that he wont stop hitting, no matter what we say. we ended up scrmaeini at him while i tried to tune my gutar.

still no jonathan. so Wes calls him.
hes with his girlfriend and sai he cuoldnt come.
we were pissed.
so chris takes the phone and walks off.

at this point we already have the people there. the kid johnathan invited never showed, but we invited this girl reena and this girl jessica and they rboght along some other people as well (this girl ashley, her bf, and my ex-girlfriend jenna, who i managed to avoid talking to since we had broken up. wayta braek my streak girls. w/e) and theyre like "we wanna hear you play" so me and Wes are ****in around writin stuff (i improved this kinda punky riff that he did drums over and it soudned pretty good) and chris comes back sayin john said "**** the band"

and so wes calls him, says "your out" and hangs up.
we leave chris an d the rest and me and Wes bring our equip (well... his equip.) back to Wes' house adn we jam. we had wnated to get rid of Chris anyway now we needed him so we could paly there.

the next day i find out that Chris is out, he lied and john never said that. but me and Wes see that there is gonna be the continuous problem with john and his gf so we started a "Side project" we call A Thousand Casualties that we're focusin on right now.

The toher band is still clinging to itself but there has yet to be a single practice since that day. Jenna, my ex, is on vocals now. Chris is doing bacup vocals. our myspace page that john threw together has like no trace of me im basically the guy playing apparently.

me and wes are focusin on A Thousand Casualties now, with me on rhythm and him on lead.
we're workin on a Beast and the Harlot cover for the next talent show 9i knew the song already, so he neds to learn the solos and such but otherwise its not difficult)

not even a gig really, but it was a disaster
Quote by wannabe jesus
If we did tune using the 5th fret on the G string it'd be a C. At the moment it goes G B which stands for George Bush. So obviously GB doesn't want you to C the truth! To the conspiracy cave!
Here's one from this Wednesday just gone.

A local 'Battle Of The Bands': there were 6 other bands performing, three of whom were local residents of the school it was being held at. The band - whom I drum for - played our two strongest songs, and the ones we had to play because they were on the application CD: 'Wannabe' and 'Living On A Prayer' by Spice Girls and Bon Jovi respectively.
The other bands were alright, and when we got up - the penultimate act, right after the interval - we seriously rocked the whole joint. We all had a helluva lot of fun, really enjoyed ourselves as did the crowd of about 100 or so.
My biggest ego stroke came after we got off, and a guy came up to me and shook my hand saying: 'I've seen Bon Jovi live twice, and lemme tell you, Tico Tourres got nothing on you.' Now that is awesome to be told, if I do say so myself.

In any case, when the bands who came second was announced, we were terrifed because we played so well: but hell, it all pulled through and we won! We were - and still are, really - ecstatic and shocked, but it's a wonderful feeling. We got £250 to spend between the four of us (so £62.50 each) to spend at 'Music Market', which incorporates 'Guitar Centre' and 'Drum Centre'.

All is good.
Well, my first gig wasn't bad. My school was putting on this "World Cultures Day" where they had a bunch of people that were from different countries and cultures come in and they had a bunch of crapola. Well there was a whole hour where they had "Student Performances" so my friend who's a great basest and good guitar player said that we should do something. We tried to get a band together, but to no avail. So we are just like, screw it, lets play (Anesthesia) Pulling Teeth by Metallica, say Metallica's drummer is dutch, making him from a different country. Well, the other kid is not liked by the person who was putting together all the acts, but I was liked by everyone, hey, who doesn't like a cripple kid? Anyway, we practiced during band (its an easy A, it brought both of our sh-t GPAs up) and the DAY before we still weren't sure if we were playing, but I still got my drums together anyway. So we get to school, find the people in charge, get the O.K., call my mom and his mom, get our gear, fix his bass, stuffs going good. He gets his stuff and starts to warm up, than the idiot running the sound decides to move us, witch was good, cus it was closer to the people. But I'm waiting for my stuff, hes getting impatient, thats just how he is, my mom gets there on time, i get set up and warmed up witch didn't take long, and we start playing some stuff. We played For Whom The Bell Tolls while everyone was getting in, than we KILLED IT when we played. Granted, this was the FIRST time we had ever played with an actual bass (and distorted/wah bass) and MY drums (we had been using random kits we built out of the schools drums). So he goes off and smokes a joint, i stay and watch 'cus I don't smoke, and than this lady who's like maybe 5 foot comes up to me and asks me if I can play while they do their Hawaiian dancing, so I'm like sure why not. So hes off in never land somewhere while I'm still playing. I'm glad I didn't call my mom right away. But overall, my first real gig that I played songs that I liked was great, well, my first band concert in 7th grade went good too, I didn't mess up, 'cus I rule :P
Main Gear:
guitars;
Gibson LPJ
Squire CLASSIC VIBE Stratocaster 60's
PRS SE Custom 24
Epiphone Sheraton II

amps;
Bugera 1990, 6260
Egnater Tweaker
i was at the hard rock cafe for a zakk wylde free acoustic concert and i was less than a foot away from the stage if i wanted 2 i could have untied zakks boots and he came out of the kitchen and he grabs the mic and says some thing like what is up you mother ****ers then he played blood is thicker than water then stillborn and he went over to the keyboard and played in this river then he started talking and bitching about anything he wanted then this on his way to the v.i.p room i got to shake zakks hand and he gave me his beer then i this girl next 2 me had a v.i.p pass in her back pocket and it was like half stickin out and i took it and i got to hang out with zakk for a couple hours till he had to go and it was the best night ever
YOU SEE US COMIN WALK TOGETHER RUN FOR COVER WERE TAKIN OVER THIS FUCKIN TOWN-PANTERA COWBOYS FROM HELL (OFFICAL LIVE 101)
well last friday we played a party. it was all set up night and there weren't any technical difficulties except for there was no bottom end because my bassist brought a ****ty amp and the vocals weren't very loud. but we cut the music and everyone was all bleh. and we began playing a lot of funk **** that none of the people there got. we got hardly any applause...it was like when are you gonna put MTV's top 20 back on and stop playing music we aren't used to. but we got through the set and the whole thing was filmed so i was happy. check out this song that we tried for the first time live: http://tomspaderphotography.com/071307PrimerGrayTheMan1c.wmv
Quote by dylanspader
well last friday we played a party. it was all set up night and there weren't any technical difficulties except for there was no bottom end because my bassist brought a ****ty amp and the vocals weren't very loud. but we cut the music and everyone was all bleh. and we began playing a lot of funk **** that none of the people there got. we got hardly any applause...it was like when are you gonna put MTV's top 20 back on and stop playing music we aren't used to. but we got through the set and the whole thing was filmed so i was happy. check out this song that we tried for the first time live: http://tomspaderphotography.com/071307PrimerGrayTheMan1c.wmv

that was pretty good, the vocals werent load enough but other than that it was great.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown