Page 1 of 2
Hardin
Banned
718 IQ
Long story short: with Lead Guitar, Rhythum Guitar, Keyboards and Drums, would a band truly be incomplete without a bass player? The Doors did it, I know, but they seem like the only popular band who did. So overall, yes or no (and say why) would a band with these instruments and no bass most likely fail or be at a disadvantage?
Gutch220
1,758 IQ
the doors often added bass, just in the studio though

IMO you need one but if you didn't the rhythm player would take on the responsibility
blinx64
68 IQ
With a keyboard player, it's not nessicary because he could play a bass line, but you need to make sure he's cool with that, plus with a bass player, you could have a seperate bass line so I would recommend you have a bassist.
/^/^M^\^\
Matt
merfsullivan
UG's Zombie Expert
274 IQ
AS long as you have the keyboard player playing a bassline independent of the melody, like the Doors did, then I don't see why you would need one. Bear in mind the White Stripes don't make a habit out of using bass and they're pretty famous. Whether you like them or not. So it is absolutely possible, and won't make too much of a difference.

Most bands just use bass to have the bottom end, but you definetly don't need one, especially with the keyboard player. No real disadvantage. Bass players can only help, they can't really hurt. Even if they just follow the rhythm. If you have a good bass player, it'll make a difference.
Demolition hands.... Got 'em!
twistedsister
UG Freak
3,564 IQ
well, the doors didnt have one and theyre awesome but then again, the white stripes dont have one either......
TimiHendrix33
629 IQ
You should definetly have a bass. It sounds way better live, trust me.
When your body's tired, exercise your mind.
Resiliance
Acta est fabula
449 IQ
You don't really, if you want to rob yourself of harmonic possibilities and sound incomplete.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Freunleven
Flying Monkey King
1,714 IQ
"Incomplete" really depends on the sound you're going for. Sure, there are a lot of songs that will sound incomplete without a dedicated bass. At the same time, however, there are probably enough songs that don't really need a bassist - the keyboard and guitar can cover it.

To sum up: If you feel like you need a bassist, find one. If, however, you can make your band work without a bassist, more power to ya, brother.

socialtool
Bored with Sex
171 IQ
You are losing out on a possibility it's not necessary that you have a bass, but ti's not

necessary that you have a guitar either... or necessarily a drummer if you all are really good at what you are doing

I mean a band can consist of whatever instruments you want it too. SO it's ridiculous to ask if one instrument can be removed, yes it can, but you just will have to write songs that sound good without that harmonic element
I listen to music and I don't need your opinions about what I listen to.
deusexbass2150
35 IQ
well i guess its your choice but i think it would sound better if you had a bass, i mean it couldnt exactly make it worse
You wouldnt necessarily fail with the band youve got now if it sounds good but adding bass would be a good choice enhancing sound etc
resi|ience
Patrick = Penis Tapper
242 IQ
nah you dont need a bass guitar, depending on what type of band you are in.
my metal band 'Third Degree Burn' dont have a bass, my rhythm guitarist makes up for it cause he's so damn heavy
Eddie *Well I don't see YOU tapping with your penis!* Van Halen
@zzasin
UG Killer
422 IQ
Does a band really need a bassist? - YES
Does a band need a keyboard player - HELL NO
Gurgle!Argh!
-
1,444 IQ
no, it doesnt. there are lots of good bands without bassists (two gallants, that fucking tank et al). but anyway, the point is that theyre good bands because they never wanted a bassist; they dont have one because their music is deliberately bassless. if you just dont have a bassist because you cant find one, you'll probably suck.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Last edited by Gurgle!Argh! at Dec 11, 2005,
Hardin
Banned
718 IQ
I don't want our band to have a bass, since we're going to be writing the music anyway and our keyboardist can always to basslines. Our drummer on the other hand is angry and says that we need a bass and offered to buy one for our keyboarder lol.
roryo
UG Lurker
13 IQ
I've always thought a band needs a bassist, it just gives the music more depth. Perhaps if the rhythm player used a baritone guitar it *might* cover for it slightly...

any thoughts anyone?
Quote by frenchyfungus
^
Beer: £20
Drugs: £50
Paint: £10

THAT image: priceless.

He's talking about my drunken/drugged up antics there!
Hardin
Banned
718 IQ
Just curious is there some sort of guitar effect to make an electric guitar sound like a bass?
twistedsister
UG Freak
3,564 IQ
an octave osounds preety bassy. maybe get an eq and put the bass up and take ou tht e treble. also do that on ur amp
golfskip
54 IQ
True, the Doors didn't have a bassist, but with todays expectations, for a live concert or show you've got to have that big bottom end.
I never got to hear the Doors at a live show but i'll bet they had a very thin sound.
BUT you can bypass the bassist with a keyboard! Ive heard some midi units that canduplicate a Bass to a T.
AS far as guitar effects that make your guitar sound like a bass, haven't ever heard one. A guy could go with a Midi Guitar and not only have a bass sound but all the different midi sounds.
socialtool
Bored with Sex
171 IQ
any octave unit will make the guitar sound like a bass. Jack white used one on Seven Nation Army.
EZLN libertad
Pisser of cute avatars
1,944 IQ
ask yourself this
could you have a band without drums?

yeah its possible, not probable though
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
guitarmonkey4
BAN ME!
504 IQ
I made a "how much does a band need a bassist" thread a while ago, and have since come to the conclusion that it's easier to just find a bassist and deal with him than to pass around the various bassist responsibilites to the keyboardist and rhythm player and have to deal with them.
Dirk Gently
Exorcising my angels
1,234 IQ
You can form a band with whatever it takes to make the music you hear in your heads. Ben Folds Five sold millions of records with no guitars. Morphine replaced a guitar as their lead instrument with a saxophone. I think it is going to sound thin, even if your keyboardist thumps away on the lower octaves, but if you're willing to live with that, who cares? You might also think of throwing a 7 string guitar or a baritone guitar into the mix to fill in your sound if you're completely against using a bassist.
Profound
Dreamer
295 IQ
Quote by socialtool
any octave unit will make the guitar sound like a bass. Jack white used one on Seven Nation Army.

I was gonna say that....It said use a sub octave effect to make the intro but it sounds just as good on guitar on my tabs.
Quote by Jehuty
Chase your dreams.
socialtool
Bored with Sex
171 IQ
Quote by Profound
I was gonna say that....It said use a sub octave effect to make the intro but it sounds just as good on guitar on my tabs.

Sounds just as good but not completely correct. It would be an octave above so it would be similar
inafantasy
:GASP:
590 IQ
If you can make some good music who cares what instruments you have/dont have.
Member #4 of the punctuation police, pm alex_haeni to join.
EmoRammsteinFan
32 IQ
I am making a Band...but all we have is one Guitar, Drums, and a Bass.....is THAT enough?

I am pretty sure that no Bass is not going to kill the band...n.n
socialtool
Bored with Sex
171 IQ
Quote by EmoRammsteinFan
I am making a Band...but all we have is one Guitar, Drums, and a Bass.....is THAT enough?

I am pretty sure that no Bass is not going to kill the band...n.n

LEt's see, Green Day, Blink-182, Cream, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, ZZ Top, Alkaline Trio, is that enough examples of three pieces?
BrianApocalypse
Prozac Junkie
7,782 IQ
Quote by socialtool
LEt's see, Green Day, Blink-182, Cream, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, ZZ Top, Alkaline Trio, is that enough examples of three pieces?

Yeah, but a good few of those bands have an extra guitar dubbed on in the studio and have extra guitarists live.

Green Day or the BRMC for example.

By the way, Octave pedals aren't gonna cut it. Only some kind of hybrid between a retard and a cripple would shadow the guitar line, and also, what if you want to solo? How's that gonna sound?
EmoRammsteinFan
32 IQ
Quote by socialtool

All very good bands...
socialtool
Bored with Sex
171 IQ
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Yeah, but a good few of those bands have an extra guitar dubbed on in the studio and have extra guitarists live.

Green Day or the BRMC for example.

By the way, Octave pedals aren't gonna cut it. Only some kind of hybrid between a retard and a cripple would shadow the guitar line, and also, what if you want to solo? How's that gonna sound?

It's a pedal, so if the rhythm guitarist with the octave pedal wants to solo... he could.... TURN IT OFF.... Shocker.

It would fill out the sound quite nicely, a local band did it for a couple of summer gigs when the bass player couldn't play because of work.

Green Day, played without the extra guitarist for years. I assume you are talking about Black rebel Motorcycle Club with BRMC but I didn't mention them and if all of their music requires two guitars they aren't really a trio...

Plus most of those bands played without an extra guitarist live a lot of the time. The trick is to learn to beef up your own tone without the music sounding thin, IE gibbons recording his guitar lines with a direct plug into the machine and a miced amp to give it a few milliseconds of delay to beef it up
cactus
Gitarista
223 IQ
For me a keyboardist can be a bassist by playing basslines, but I think that its nothing compared to a real bassist, use your keyboard player to complement your lead and get a bassist for a solid rhythm now, thats the way to go.
Last edited by cactus at Dec 17, 2005,
phrank
Must Kill Moe...Weee!
42 IQ
I think keyboards sound really dull and monotonous no matter how fancy it is, and it doesnt look even as close as cool as a bass player! To me, a bass player doesnt neccesarily have to be GOOD- he has to play with attitude, both in the music AND in the live shows. And Ive always found that bass players, since most of the time they dont play much, they get be good backup singers, or just get the crowd riled up!