Page 1 of 4
davebass86
258 IQ
Just looking for a genral answer really as i tend to get alot of bass player snobbery when it comes to pick playing. Its all i use i can play just fine with my fingers but rarely do as i feel i lose alot of my tone but am forever being told am not a real bassist! i have been playing nearly four years and i keep gettin guys who have been playin for a month or summat tellin me am a fake!!

all views welcome!
Profound
Dreamer
295 IQ
However you feel comfortable is how you should play bass....and if you feel like the song needs it just do it who cares....tell those newbies to piss off.
Quote by Jehuty
Chase your dreams.
ToolBass_dude
Lemon Fairy Liquid
605 IQ
Quote by Profound
However you feel comfortable is how you should play bass....and if you feel like the song needs it just do it who cares....tell those newbies to piss off.

Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
davebass86
258 IQ
Thanx alot man nice ta see some open minded bassists you would be surprised at some of the guys in my college lol
ToolBass_dude
Lemon Fairy Liquid
605 IQ
Quote by davebass86
Thanx alot man nice ta see some open minded bassists you would be surprised at some of the guys in my college lol

oh it's the same on many websites, and around where i live as well. don't worry
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
Profound
Dreamer
295 IQ
Quote by davebass86

Quote by Jehuty
Chase your dreams.
Molsons Golden
UG's Resident Lush
177 IQ
Chris Squier (From Yes) always plays w/ a pick as far as I know.
Breakfast; the most importent drink of the day.
davebass86
258 IQ
my bass teacher was a jazz player who was totally finger style so he tended to discourage me but the guys i love as bass players all loved the pick lol Rick Savage,Mark Hoppus,Nick Seymour,Paul Mc Cartney John Mc vie(he used his fingers but rocked with a pick get onto the go your own way bass line fookin great!)
Angelus Mortem
Kiss My Bass
97 IQ
I use both, fingers AND pick, it really depends on the song.. in hard rock/heavy metal, sometime you really want the attack that using a pick gives you, for other songs you want the flexibilty of using your fingers. There is no right or wrong here.

The music dictates what is best.
Gear:
Charvel/Jackson 3B Bass
Jackson CMG Bass
Ibanez BTB575FM 5-String Bass
Vintage 70s Ampeg V9 SVT/ Ampeg 8x10 Cab
Fender Deluxe Blackout Telecaster

Angelus Mortem
Stealthbass
Calm as a bomb
439 IQ
Well if they have only played for months, then you should tell them that you are not a newbie like them, or just ignore them, you should play the way you want, it gives a different sound, and if you like it, then keep going
Jerome Howard
234 IQ
I play bass with my neighbor quite often, and he's really not that much of a prick.
@zzasin
UG Killer
422 IQ
Quote by Jerome Howard
I play bass with my neighbor quite often, and he's really not that much of a prick.

Your worthy of the ROFL COPTER!!!
Attachments:
roflcopter7.gif
ToolBass_dude
Lemon Fairy Liquid
605 IQ
Fredrick - Soon to start playing the bass

you converting, or just taking it up as well as guitar?
Quote by Dogruitag

Quote by LookAlive
uglybassplayer1
Mike Dirnt=Awesome
147 IQ
Quote by Jerome Howard
OH.......you said P-I-C-K.......!

WAT THE HELL DID YOU THINK HE MEANT??

"yeah, i play my bass with a prick..."

back on topic

don't take shi? from guys that say picks are for n00bs

i play with a pick,

ppl don't get the concept that there aren't RULES for playing bass.

how'd slap get invented,

certainly not from RULES
Quote by IllegalPanda
my inner voice tells me your a 60 year old fat guy with no job and a closet life that includes sexing barbie doll and masturbating to kids gap pictures....

Ugly Corporal of The Bass Militia.
John Swift
899 IQ
Quote by davebass86
my bass teacher was a jazz player who was totally finger style so he tended to discourage me but the guys i love as bass players all loved the pick lol Rick Savage,Mark Hoppus,Nick Seymour,Paul Mc Cartney John Mc vie(he used his fingers but rocked with a pick get onto the go your own way bass line fookin great!)
Saw Bill Wyman playing with his thumb the other night when performing with the Rhythm Kings, so really anything that suits will do.
Just thought I'd mention that in the 70s 'Rick Savage', 'Joe Elliott', & 'Pete Willis'(original guitarist) turned up at my house one rainy Sunday afternoon to ask me to build them some PA cabs. They have probably foregotten by now, I gave them a lift back into Sheffield as they had travelled out by bus, Rick Allen the drummer who was to join the band a short while later comes from Dronfield where I live.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
bassmaniac101
UG's mental bass player
366 IQ
Anyone who calls you a fake doesnt know what there talking about. you dont have to play with your fingers to be a real bassist. if anyone ever says that then just say this, "if im not a real bass player because im usein a pick thn almost every guitaist is a fake too". stumps em every time.
Member of the "On the Right Track" club. PM Michelangelo193 or raise_the_dead to see if they approve of your "On the Right Track"-ness
I am Spartikus

Tremulous name: <CD>Mustang?
Profound
Dreamer
295 IQ
Yeah! what about fingerpicking guitarists?
Quote by Jehuty
Chase your dreams.
yEsTeRdAy`
The Madcap Laughs
316 IQ
There's nothing wrong with using a pick. It doesn't mean you suck. Sometimes you need the extra speed you can get from a pick.

Anyone who says picks are for dumbasses, is a dumbass.
Profound
Dreamer
295 IQ
Quote by yEsTeRdAy`
There's nothing wrong with using a pick. It doesn't mean you suck. Sometimes you need the extra speed you can get from a pick.

Anyone who says picks are for dumbasses, is a dumbass.

what if you learn to use all your fingers isn't that like speed to the max lol....but since I'm still a noob i use a pick sometimes for when i have to go from one string to another really fast.
Quote by Jehuty
Chase your dreams.
yEsTeRdAy`
The Madcap Laughs
316 IQ
Quote by Profound
what if you learn to use all your fingers isn't that like speed to the max lol....but since I'm still a noob i use a pick sometimes for when i have to go from one string to another really fast.

Well yea, you're right. That's what some guys do. They use all 4 fingers on their right hand. Those guys can get some speed lol

But for those of us who are to lazy to learn how to play with 4 fingers, picks are great!
Incubus_SCIENCE
Inkles McGee
1,590 IQ
I play with a pick when I feel I need "that sound". Tell them that one day they will realize. Play with your pick, ask them to match that tone without one.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
MetalUpTheAss
Has commitment issues.
872 IQ
Speaking of picks, what do you guys like the best?
My fav is the Dunlop Jazz III, #1 being the purple ones #2 being the black ones. My #3 pick is the Fender Extra Heavies. Those rule as well.

Youse guys?
haha
uglybassplayer1
Mike Dirnt=Awesome
147 IQ
1 mm fenders
Quote by IllegalPanda
my inner voice tells me your a 60 year old fat guy with no job and a closet life that includes sexing barbie doll and masturbating to kids gap pictures....

Ugly Corporal of The Bass Militia.
Scourge441
Eyes With Pride
5,346 IQ
Lemmy Kilmister and Justin Chancellor both use picks. Neither are sucky bassists.

Don't let people tell you how to play your instrument. There is nothing wrong with picking your bass.
Incubus_SCIENCE
Inkles McGee
1,590 IQ
Dunlop Tortex or those cool rubberish ones... I prefer 1 mm.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
UtBDan
BA of Music Theory
4,564 IQ
Quote by Incubus_SCIENCE
I play with a pick when I feel I need "that sound". Tell them that one day they will realize. Play with your pick, ask them to match that tone without one.

it's not hard to do the micking motion with your fingertips. Still the basic picking skill, but if I had no pick and I wanted to go for the pick sound... I could do it is the point. It's not really hard. lol
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
newmodelno.15
Banned
60 IQ
dunlop tortex (purple). i love those. but i use them for my guitar, i slap my bass lol
rustyburrito55
63 IQ
I use the yellow or green Dunlop Tortex ones. I really only use my fingers for jazz.
SulphurousBill
Sulphurous of a Bill
19 IQ
little stubby
meanwhile, at the "What would you sell your soul for?" thread...
Quote by Stooja
For The Ability to write lyrics and sing better, and play guitar better of course.

And Chuck some hot chicks in aswell...

Quote by nextBIGthing1
^ You really think YOUR soul is worth that much?