Page 1 of 4
animalfarm
I want to be Kat's slave
122 IQ
Thought he's deserve an own thread. Though not sure if he can be called a shredder, he's definately a great guitarist, especially his tone. I checked out the G3 dvd, tokio I think, with eric johnson and it took some time to get used to his play next to vai and satriani who were as usual great players and also great show-offs (no negative thing there, just a fact, they're good showmasters ). Johnson was a lot more introverted, a bit shy even.

my guitar wants to kill your mama and especially the blues jam, red house, at the end of the dvd finally got me over to really like him. His soloing is really very sophisticated, quite different to vai and satch, and to me he used the best phrasing of the three of them...

Well, any further thought on eric johnson?
lemenz70
UG's Quebecker^^
485 IQ
Hey i watched that G3 video an hour ago. Johnson has it own style and this is why he is so good. Unfortunately he isn't well know because he is a shy guy... Anyway he can play and if he went to the G3, it's because he is one of the greatest guitarists.
shadowofbodom
people are NUTTY
316 IQ
yeah i agree his playing dynamics and phrasing are very unique. yep, thats all i got.
rollcifer
27 IQ
well besides him acheiving best guitarist in the world 7 yrs in a row at one point in time. i dont think anything else need be said.
Rolls
SickMetal
I'm But A Wave To...
123 IQ
Amazing guitarist. I saw him live once, actually, if you ever get the chance, see him.

Great tone, tasteful playing, and some killer technique. The chords he uses in some songs are pretty monstrous, even when it sounds like a laid-back simple tune. Great, great stuff.
JkHalen
175 IQ
yeah i have that dvd, not in tokyo, tokyo is with John Petrucci. Anyways, Eric Johnson is very good guitarist. His style is pretty unique and impressive
Quote by metalmonsterr
The first time i heard about Granny Sluts 16 on DVD i was like OMG AWESOME.I feel like they made it just for me, then after i saw it the black granny at the end just makes me feel really awkward and depressed
Prophet of Page
258 IQ
Eric is without doubt my favourite guitarist, his tone and phrasing are just beautiful, and his playing is sooo clean.

And sure he may not be quite as fast as some other guys, but show me another guitarist that does two note a string pentatonics that fast.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
wil
..but Teles are better
208 IQ
^ Zakk Wylde perhaps? Although its nowhere near as clean, i much prefer Johnson.
Thank God im an atheist
joshsirjoshules
UG Newbie
1,741 IQ
Man I just got his "Austin City Limits" DVD and there is a version of Jimi Hendrix's "Love Or Confusion" on there that totally kicks Jimi's ass! Anyway, he's a Texas boy, so we're all proud of him down here.
wil
..but Teles are better
208 IQ
I doubt Johnson would agree that he kicks Jimi's ass, however good it is...The very fact that you talk about guitar in terms of kicking ass somehow makes me value your opinion less.
Thank God im an atheist
Erich yeung
UG's China Man
508 IQ
^ haha, these are the comments everyone always finds amusing. Anyways eric johnson is a big meh for me. SRV and manhattan are my favs by him, and i really only listen to him for "easy listenin"
My Youtube Vids

"Be formless... shapeless like water.

If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle.

Water can flow, and it can crash....Be water, my friend..." - Bruce Lee
Scorzerci
UG Addict
384 IQ
I love eric johnson! in fact i am currently listening to "battle we have won"! I really love hit tone and phrasing and some of his songs are really catchy. In fact when i was listening to Zap yesterday I felt a sudden urge to dance and i really don't like dancing. I ended up compromising by repeatedly bobbing my foot up and down. He has a really great voice and is also great on guitar AND piano! He is currently my favourite guitarist together with steve vai. If he ever comes anywhere in switzerland i'm going to go see him.
Please vote for my band in a demo competition by clicking
here, pressing the button that says "Gi din stemme" and then connecting to facebook! Thanks a lot!
misfits385
Scanned
283 IQ
He's a fantastic guitar player.
Quote by utsapp89
CRUSHING
SLAMMING
BROCOLI!
Face it, t3h MG mini-stack pwns your face.
Righteous
Hippyesque
23 IQ
*Look at my sig*

He is definatly one hell of a guitar player, and is not only a fast and incredibly clean, but he has diversity in hi music that keeps it exciting.
I have nothing to put in here.
Archaon
Minister of Sin
324 IQ
Oh man, Eric Johnson is freakin' amazing. He's the kind of guy you just wanna watch play on a starry night (I know that's a song by Satch :P ). Simply beautiful work, love his style.
animalfarm
I want to be Kat's slave
122 IQ
Seems to have excessive use of hybrid picking in his E guitar songs... Can anyone recommend me some other goodm songs? Acoustic or electric dont matter what...
Scorzerci
UG Addict
384 IQ
manhattan and zap- great chordwork (if thats a real word)
Desert Rose and Battle we have won - ****ing amazing vocals!
i can't really recommend any of his songs with really great shred soloing because i have only heard a few of his songs which i have downloaded.
Please vote for my band in a demo competition by clicking
here, pressing the button that says "Gi din stemme" and then connecting to facebook! Thanks a lot!
Guitarplaya27
UG's Captain Morgan
3,055 IQ
great guitarist, love his violin sound he gets,
genius

love this guy
Call me Sean
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
He's just trying to protect our innocence.

Yes i am
Quote by :Vicious--

Your flirting powers are incredible.

Gear:
Schecter S1 Elite Black Cherry (Soapbar Neck, Invader Bridge)
Schecter Banshee
Orange Dual Terror
Boss CE-5
Goatkeeper
NevermorePsalm
Steven Wilson's Hippy
556 IQ
good guitarist...horrible live though.... He screwed up so bad...
Quote by Yespleasevicar
NevermorePsalm thank you for showing me how clever and witty one person can be in just a few sentances. My God i wanna be like u so much! In fact we all do. Well done

Steven Wilson and Mikael Akerfeldt own my soul.
waylay00
UG's Registered User
263 IQ
Quote by Prophet of Page
And sure he may not be quite as fast as some other guys, but show me another guitarist that does two note a string pentatonics that fast.

Shawn Lane does two note per string pentatonic runs that fast all the time. EJ was one of his main influences.

Oh wait, it's Prophet of Page. *expects some anti-Shawn Lane comment*
R.I.P. Shawn "Memphis Monster" Lane

Member #8 of the Ibanez RG5xx & up club PM tombo32 to join < 110% credit to t2russo
sock_demon
Ol' Dirty
763 IQ
I watched that video during my music lessons, I though he performed very well, i especially like the fact he used a bottleneck
hue
MetalToTheEnd
Guitar wh0re in the makin
252 IQ
EJ is the shit. I was going through all my G3's a few days ago and I came across that one you talked about.

He's pretty boring live but his music is awesome.
Bleh.

Member #3 of the I Am Canadian Club, pm colen or Mantiscabinet to join
Member #3 of the Necrophagist worshippers pm night_lights to join
Member #2 of the Ibanez RG5xx & up club PM tombo32 to join < 110% credit to t2russo
SnowballofDoom
UG's Pity Friend
13 IQ
Not a fan, to be honest.

I just can't seem to get into his playing..
Quote by Resiliance
I ain't dissin' ya bro.

I be doin' some 'o dat sarcasm **** right thurr.
pavan
stunt guitar
210 IQ
I love Eric Johnson.
"Physics is like sex. Sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it." - Richard Feynman
Guitarplaya27
UG's Captain Morgan
3,055 IQ
i like Desert Rose
Call me Sean
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
He's just trying to protect our innocence.

Yes i am
Quote by :Vicious--

Your flirting powers are incredible.

Gear:
Schecter S1 Elite Black Cherry (Soapbar Neck, Invader Bridge)
Schecter Banshee
Orange Dual Terror
Boss CE-5
Goatkeeper
splice
crank that jessie jackson
175 IQ
Quote by SnowballofDoom
Not a fan, to be honest.

same here
Erc
UG's ultimate asshole
670 IQ
I have the inability to dig him.

Not my cup of tea. Good enough player though. Not much of a fan of his tone.
Prophet of Page
258 IQ
Quote by waylay00
Shawn Lane does two note per string pentatonic runs that fast all the time. EJ was one of his main influences.

Oh wait, it's Prophet of Page. *expects some anti-Shawn Lane comment*

I never dissed Shawn, I just said he wasn't my cup of tea, and explained it thoroughly (maybe a little too thoroughly). And call me Tom dammit.
waylay00
UG's Registered User
263 IQ
Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't know that it was protocol to adress someone on an internet forum by his or her real name...

Sorry, Tom

Member #8 of the Ibanez RG5xx & up club PM tombo32 to join < 110% credit to t2russo
Resiliance
Acta est fabula
449 IQ
Look at his sig.

He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
waylay00
UG's Registered User
263 IQ
Still though, it says "Feel free...". I don't take that as a command, but rather a choice.

Prophet of Page
258 IQ
Quote by waylay00
Still though, it says "Feel free...". I don't take that as a command, but rather a choice.

Yeah but if its somebody I'm going to have multiple discussions with, then I'd prefer you use my actual name.
waylay00
UG's Registered User
263 IQ
All right, I will from now on.

Freepower
v It's Back! :D
3,277 IQ
Quote by Prophet of Page

Shaw...

Nevermind.

I'll show you. Have you seen Total Electric Guitar? I have it on VHS.

Personally, i love the guys chords and approach to the subtleties of geetar.
waylay00
UG's Registered User
263 IQ
Quote by Freepower
Shaw...

Nevermind.

Ha Free, that's exactly what I was thinking when I was posting.

apocalypse13
<3 Nile and Marty
686 IQ
Quote by SnowballofDoom
Not a fan, to be honest.

+1

I don't know why, he's just not appealed to me.
Quote by hepzibahbaptist
Yeah listen to Apoc. He knows what he's talking about.

Quote by hepzibahbaptist
I figured you were going to sig that. And this if you have any sense of humor what so ever.

Founder of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM me or altronataku to join
justlikealex
10 IQ
Eric Johnson has obsessive compulsive hearing... or at least that's what it sounds like by his incredible tone.
TylerRRR
a player of the blues
2,167 IQ
yeah all the rumors with him and his duracell batterys sounding better.. I personally think hes a great guitarist and musician.. although I dislike his voice quite a bit.
My Gear-
Gibson SG Junior
52' Hot Rod Tele
American Deluxe Strat
Yamaha Cg-104
Fender Twin (white)
Boss CH1
Boss OC-3
DOD overdrive
Fulltone OCD
Arbiter Fuzz Face
Vox Wah