Page 1 of 2
frippogenics
Behind That Locked Door
503 IQ
Yes, I know we have had a psychedelia thread, started by me, but this is more of a discussion and appreciation sort of thing. I'm also hoping that there are some people on this board that are really into psychedelia and that some have unknown bands that they can enlighten us with.

Edit: Here is a list of all the relatively unknown Psychedelic bands that have been mentioned or added by me. I believe that it is legal to do CD Trades with such bands because most are rare/quite hard to find. I have almost all of them, but I am usually away from my computer when I'm messaged. Either that or I'm very busy with schoolwork. I suggest if you want a lot of these, to get the downloading program Soulseek, no spyware, has very rare albums. It's a godsend.

13th Floor Elevators
A Cid Symphony
Aggregation
Aguaturbia
Amon Düül (II)
Ant Trip Ceremony
Aorta
A Passing Fancy
Andromeda
Art
Arzachel
The Beat Of The Earth
Big Brother And The Holding Company
Big Lost Rainbow
Blue Cheer
Braintickit
C.A. Quintet
The Chocolate Watchband
Clear Light
Cold Sun
Comus
Country Joe And The Fish
The Creation
Darius
The Deviants
Electric Banana
The Electric Flag
The Electric Prunes
The Electronic Hole
Fairfield Parlour
Fapardokly
Fargo
Fever Tree
Fifty Foot Hose
The Five Day Week Straw People/The Attack
Focus
Gong
Hawkwind
H.P. Lovecraft
The Holy Modal Rounders
The Idle Race
July
Kaleidoscope
Les Fleur De Lys
Love
Mad River
Mick Farren
The Millennium
The Misunderstood
Montage
The Move
Moby Grape
Nuggets: Original Artyfacts Of The First Psychedelic Era (Collection of Various Artists)
Odyssey
The Open Mind
The Paper Garden
The Plastic Cloud
The Pretty Things
Quicksilver Messenger Service
Relatively Clean Rivers
Rubble (Collection Of Various Artists, much like Nuggets. Contains 20 or so disks)
Sagittarius
Saturnalia
The Seeds
Silver Apples
Skip Spence
The Small Faces
The Soft Machine
Spirit
SRC
Strawberry Alarm Clock
The Superfine Dandelion
Teddy And The Pandas
Them
Tomorrow
The United States Of America
Ultimate Spinach
Vanilla Fudge
We The People
World Of Oz
The Young Rascals
Zerfas
Last edited by frippogenics at Aug 15, 2006,
Variable
words words words words
80 IQ
I've got the Love CD Forever Changes, and as a matter of fact just came in here to post a thread about them! Fantastic band, you're the first UGer I've heard mention them.
Lord_Ramone
Unknown Soldier
85 IQ
The 13th Floor Elevators rule

Fav songs:
Slide Machine
You're gonna miss me
Barnyard blues

Its kind of sad over here in Australia you can get Country Joe and the fish shirts at the trendy clothing stores, which pisses me off when I see people wearing them but have never heard any of their music...
My gear:
Black Fender Mexican Strat (w. red moto pickguard)
Laney Hardcore MXD65
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Sobbat Fuzz Breaker
frippogenics
Behind That Locked Door
503 IQ
Quote by Variable
I've got the Love CD Forever Changes, and as a matter of fact just came in here to post a thread about them! Fantastic band, you're the first UGer I've heard mention them.

Forever Changes is just starting to get recognized, I've noticed. By people and publications alike. It really is just one of the greatest albums. Rarely is there an album like that where each song that good (With the exception of Andmoreagain, I don't like that one too much). I also have Love and Da Capo, which are also pretty good. Da Capo has a very raw sound that I like, but Forever Changes is still their crowning achievement.

As for the Elevators, I don't listen to them as much as I used to. However, my favorite song still is "You Don't Know" off their first album.
Mellow Gold
138 IQ
A other really good psychedelic band that seems to be lost to time is Spirit. The only time anyone talks about them is when the topic is on how Led Zeppelin "rip off" other peoples song. That aside every one here needs to get the album Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus

It is by far one of the best albums ever made.
groll01
You am i and i are great
463 IQ
im lookin up The 13th Floor Elevators now wich other psychedelia bands would u recommend
and what 13th Floor Elevators album would u recommend 1st?
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Groll you're a bloody genius

Quote by a6l6e6x1
wow
im "talking" to the future greatest director in the world
PRIVELAGED

member #9 of "The Beatles really are the greatest

Metal Face productions! watch our movies!
http://www.metalface.tk/
Lord_Ramone
Unknown Soldier
85 IQ
^The Psychedelic sounds of The 13th floor Elevators!
My gear:
Black Fender Mexican Strat (w. red moto pickguard)
Laney Hardcore MXD65
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Sobbat Fuzz Breaker
Andrewbiles
11,166 IQ
Quote by frippogenics
Forever Changes is just starting to get recognized, I've noticed. By people and publications alike. It really is just one of the greatest albums.

I can't say I'd completely agree. 'Alone again or' was quite a big song when it came out and is surprisingly well known. Don't know if so many people got the album, but it's just one of those hidden gems, like a load of the great underground folk acts of the '70s created.
If you want psychedelia stuff, there's a box set called 'Children Of Nuggets - Original Artyfacts From The Second Psychedelic Era 1976-1995' which came out a week or two ago. I really wanted it for Christmas but I don't think I'm going to get it at this rate.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
lukef
271 pounds of charm
98 IQ
Quote by Lord_Ramone
^The Psychedelic sounds of The 13th floor Elevators!

Oh yeah. kick ass album.

also:
Stained glass
The Novells
The Tropics
The Replacements
The Rain parade
The Sea and Cake
Originally posted by fuzzybunny
I hereby dub you the UG's new God of Love. Really. That was brilliant.

heh.
Originally posted by someone i can't remember
the one called lukef speaks the truth.
hippiemusic101
hippie music is the best!
133 IQ
idk what REALLY wud be PSYCHEDELIC bcuz i have nobody to help me with music (for everyone who doesnt know i live in texas), but i do kinda know it.

If i do have anything psychedelic, feel free to ask for a trade(recordnerd in sig)
Quote by Gemini
I smell an egotistical asshat. No offense or anything.

RECORDNERD

UG's Official Jefferson Airplane Fan
Stula1031
Sex is a texas drought.
596 IQ
I love Phsychedelic music but its so hard to find good records... Would you guys consider The Velvet Underground Phsychedelic? I love that one song Murder Mystery any album suggestions?

I would love some Soft Machine suggestions aswell I love the music they did with Syd Barrett on the Madcap Laughs. I have the Phsychedelic Sound of the 13th Floor Elevators aswell and it's pretty good.
Quote by Brothers_In_Arms
The Darkness are kind of a classic rock band, despite being a current band, so i though id put it here.
Last edited by Stula1031 at Dec 17, 2005,
Still Life
Dr. Efficient
55 IQ
the only two bands I have heard of that you mentioned are the 13th Floor Elevators, and Soft Machine.

I love that whole jug thing the 13th Floor Elevators do, just love it. You're Gonna Miss Me is an amazing song too. Although much of the music I have by them is poor quality, sadly.

As for Soft Machine, I've never heard anything by them, but I do know that they did something with Syd Barrett, as Stula already said. Would love an album suggestion there.
al_
(some sketch)
556 IQ
Man The Fish are awesome. Has anyone ever heard the studio version of Fixin To Die. Thats gotta be one of the wierdest songs EVER.
If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is - Infinite.

http://thetravellingtrip.dmusic.com
^^ some sort of strange new slimey brew, its a psychedelic mess.
Check it out
mmonster
U.G.'s scariest member
21 IQ
Quote by Mellow Gold
A other really good psychedelic band that seems to be lost to time is Spirit. The only time anyone talks about them is when the topic is on how Led Zeppelin "rip off" other peoples song. That aside every one here needs to get the album Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus

It is by far one of the best albums ever made.

what he said
Epi es335 dot(cherry)
danelectro 59 dc12 string
Taro(?)70's Jap Strat
Ibanez 70's 6string accoustic
SongBird 104 yn classical
Johnson Millenium 150 amp
Spider LP copy
Mellow Gold
138 IQ
Quote by Stula1031
I love Phsychedelic music but its so hard to find good records... Would you guys consider The Velvet Underground Phsychedelic? I love that one song Murder Mystery any album suggestions?

I would say that they're phsychedelic, but a diffrent kind of phsychedelic. Drak phsychedelic is what I'd call them. Go with the "The Velvet Underground & Nico" album or "White Light/White Heat."
frippogenics
Behind That Locked Door
503 IQ
Quote by andrewbiles
I can't say I'd completely agree. 'Alone again or' was quite a big song when it came out and is surprisingly well known.

Yeah, Love was pretty well known back in its day. But only recently have I seen it getting mentions as one of the best albums in publications, and I just started meeting people who have it. Maybe it's just a coincidence.

As for those who wanted a Soft Machine suggestion, I'd recommend Volume One as a start(which I have available for a CD trade ). It's prog rock that pre-dates In The Court Of The Crimson King, but it is very psychedelic. The music is very odd and it takes a bit to grow on you, but the album is fantastic.

Edit:

I'd say that they're avant-garde/proto-punk. But I do love that band, so we can discuss them here, because they won't get talked about anywhere else.

As said above me, Velvet Underground and Nico or White Light/White Heat, the latter being the more challenging record.
Last edited by frippogenics at Dec 17, 2005,
Variable
words words words words
80 IQ
I think Love is better known in England now than it is over here (America). Ironic because the band's from LA and never really toured too far outside there until recently. I found this fantastic DVD of a concert of the whole Forever Changes album, but the only original band member who's there is Arthur Lee. Still a good concert.

Also, Velvet Underground & Nico is a great album.
Andrewbiles
11,166 IQ
Quote by frippogenics
Yeah, Love was pretty well known back in its day. But only recently have I seen it getting mentions as one of the best albums in publications, and I just started meeting people who have it. Maybe it's just a coincidence.

Maybe. Don't know.....
Maybe it's just one you've looked over in the past when you've seen it in magazines and stuff? I would look through older mags for lists, but I'm not much of a buyer of them to be able to.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
jayr123guitar
YOU NEED MORE GUITAR
1,807 IQ
I used to have this video of the closing of the fillmore. It had the Dead and a bunch of bands. Quicksilver Messenger Service was on there and they kicked serious ass. I bought a couple vinyl LP's and they were nothing compared to the footage on that video. They were really underrated and still are. I've got one bootleg from 06-07-68 @ the Fillmore. I haven't listened in a while but I used to love it. How about Moby Grape? I used to teach guitar to this girl who knew the drummer from Moby Grape.
AMajesticalTune
The Unwoken Fool
10 IQ
Gong, Hawkwind or Focus, anyone?
These are three great Psychadelic Progressive bands. Hawkwind leans really more to the Hard-Progressive-Rock with tons of a Psychadelia influence, while Gong and Focus psychadelic progressive jazz. Great bands here, I highly reccomend "Angels Egg" by Gong, "Space Ritual" by Hawkwind (featuring a young, and more capable Lemmy Kilmister), and Focus II by Focus
Currently Listening To:
Bread - Anthology
Pink Floyd - Piper at the Gates of Dawn
Yes - The Yes Album
Last edited by AMajesticalTune at Dec 20, 2005,
Still Life
Dr. Efficient
55 IQ
isn't Focus that band that did the song Hocus Pocus

....genius
AMajesticalTune
The Unwoken Fool
10 IQ
Indeed they are, but that is far from their best song
Currently Listening To:
Bread - Anthology
Pink Floyd - Piper at the Gates of Dawn
Yes - The Yes Album
igotabcrich32
Is Dan
1,431 IQ
Love is just awesome,
Forever Changes and Love are the best albums, i also like arzachel

hmmm i think i might make a ProgRock thread
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
frippogenics
Behind That Locked Door
503 IQ
Quote by jayr123guitar
I used to have this video of the closing of the fillmore. It had the Dead and a bunch of bands. Quicksilver Messenger Service was on there and they kicked serious ass. I bought a couple vinyl LP's and they were nothing compared to the footage on that video. They were really underrated and still are. I've got one bootleg from 06-07-68 @ the Fillmore. I haven't listened in a while but I used to love it. How about Moby Grape? I used to teach guitar to this girl who knew the drummer from Moby Grape.

Yes, QMS and Moby Grape are both amazing. Moby Grape's album in particular is one of the best of the era. But QMS's Happy Trails is a very good one too. They were at their best when they were live.

I also feel I have to plug the album Shazam by The Move. If anyone likes hard rock/psychedelia/prog rock should check that out. It's one of my favorites.
Last edited by frippogenics at Dec 20, 2005,
Testify1
Oceanwalk
27 IQ
Quote by Variable

I started a thread about Love and Forever Changes a few months ago, but it sadly died out with very few posts. But the posts that were there were extremely positive.
frippogenics
Behind That Locked Door
503 IQ
On another Love's Forever Changes being more recognized note, I was just surprised to see that album on the front display in Borders.

Also on another note, I'm getting that 4 CD Nuggets Box Set for Christmas Finally, after all these months, Original Artifacts of the First Psychedelic Era
Stula1031
Sex is a texas drought.
596 IQ
What's a good QMS album?
Quote by Brothers_In_Arms
The Darkness are kind of a classic rock band, despite being a current band, so i though id put it here.
rushman55
Sleep Now In The Fire
10 IQ
Quicksilver Messenger Service is an amazing band. I own one of their live at the fillmore albums and they sound really good live. I would highly reccomend checking them out. Happy Trails is a good album and so is the self titled album.
ScummerVacation
Foghorn Leghorn
18 IQ
Quote by lukef
Oh yeah. kick ass album.

also:
Stained glass
The Novells
The Tropics
The Replacements
The Rain parade
The Sea and Cake

So youre saying The Replacements are psychedelic?
SIZE]
BlackLotusFox
Electric Ninja
158 IQ
Soft Machine was big in London about the same time Pink Floyd were starting out and they played shows together. H.P Lovecraft played with the Floyd too at the Fillmore one time... back in the late 60s... other than those two, I've never heard of any of those.
RIP SYD BARRETT (1946-2006) Shine on...

Modified Fender Stratocaster, MIM, hot rails in the bridge
Crate 2x12 combo w/ Celestion speakers
Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Wah
Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Digitech DigiDelay
BOSS PH-3 Phase Shifter
skiracer271
Got No Class
50 IQ
Quote by frippogenics
Finally, after all these months, Original Artifacts of the First Psychedelic Era

I recently got that on vinyl. Not the box set just the first album. I think the nuggets stuff on cd actually is different.

You should definitly check out cold sun. Theyre from austin like the elevators, and took influence off them. They later formed the aliens, which was the backing band for roky erickson. The aliens are them just without one member or somthing. They recorded their album in 69, but it was never released until a limited run on cd recenttly. You can probably find there stuff on a sharing program though. If not i can send it to you.
frippogenics
Behind That Locked Door
503 IQ
^ Cold Sun seems relatively unknown. It's not even on allmusic.com. Is the album called Dark Shadows (just to make sure I have the correct band).

Also, I'm going to list, on the first post, all of the psychedelia bands that I have and have been mentioned on this thread. Get them!
skiracer271
Got No Class
50 IQ
Yeah, the album is called dark shadows. If you have aim i could probably send it to you over that. My thing is skiracer271
RokyRacoon68
Hippie
21 IQ
I love all of this stuff, just wish I could find more of it in stores...

My favorites:
Love: Forever Changes
Spirit: Spirit
Frank Zappa:Only in it for the Money
Jarrett Moore
Lucid Wise Man
56 IQ
I love psychedelic stuff, psychedelic rock mostly. one of my favorite psychedelic songs would have to be "Careful with that Axe, Eugene" by Pink Floyd. Early Floyd back when they had the great Syd Barrett, one of the best psychedeic minds.
Cousin Kevin
Gotta Love Ringo
58 IQ
all psychedelic bands have a special place in my heart
Quote by HelpImARock
Honestly, don't you kids have something better to do? Like drugs, or irresponsible sexual activity? Honestly.

As usual, there is a great woman behind every idiot.
-John Lennon
frippogenics
Behind That Locked Door
503 IQ
I don't know if anyone is even looking at this thread anymore, and I doubt anyone has gone out and bought/downloaded anything mentioned here (besides me).

Nonetheless, I started a list of the best psychedelic albums:
http://rateyourmusic.com/list/j1mm13p4g3/the_best_of_the_first_psychedelic_era__66___71_

Check it out if you're actually interested in Psychedelia.
KingBrendan5149
Banned
910 IQ
has anyone heard of The Paper Garden? they're suppose to be a really good psychedelic band. my friend has their debut (and only) album and he said it's in the same vein as Sgt. Peppers. has anyone heard/checked them out before?
scottishmob
523 IQ
What would you consider to be:
1. The greatest psychadelic band?
2. Your personal favorite (s)?
3. Most accessable?
4. Why?