gibson_10
2,621 IQ
Ive been playing guitar for bout a year and a half now and ive been want to be in a band ever since ive started playing. i was just woundering how good i should be before i join one?
Member of the Metal Militia. PM Gibson_10 or AngelOfSorrow to join
Last edited by gibson_10 at Dec 19, 2005,
TheDuck54
UG's Ardent Libertarian
22 IQ
ive been playing for 3 years and i havent even considered joining or forming a band. it seems a waste of time. id rather hone my skills through practice until i am at that all knowing point in my playing to start my own band
If you are not a Liberal at 20, you have no heart. If you are a liberal at 40, you have no brain.
ZeRoGuY
That One Dude yo
229 IQ
starting you own band can be quite hard. it's hard when you've only worked with yourself for years and then adding other people's opinons and work into the mix.

as for joining a band, i would say as good as the band your joining. Depends on your style and how well it fits to the genre's you like and the band your considering joining. Try to hear em and see if you can possibly re-create their style. Thanks what i've done.

What are we waiting for?

Crate GT1200H --> Crate Mini-Cab 4x14"
Ibanez Gio
Cort X-2
Ibanez RG7321 7-String
Ibanez GSR190 Bass
geenday409
UG Newbie
641 IQ
you dont have to be very good. just be able to play chords smoothly and some decent leads (dont have to solo). its a good experience, but it can suck.
Murahilin
Bananad
10 IQ
Quote by gibson_10
Ive been playing guitar for bout a year and a half now and ive been want to be in a band ever since ive started playing. i was just woundering how good i should be before i join one?

Did you know:

Playing with others helps you become a better musician? When you play with people that are equal or better, it will go long ways in honing your skills. It will teach you how to work with the band, keep you in time, etc.
la ilaha illa'llah
tongue untied
UGs redneck[I][I][/I][/I]
484 IQ
Quote by geenday409
you dont have to be very good. just be able to play chords smoothly and some decent leads (dont have to solo). its a good experience, but it can suck.

^ ya, you should be pretty good

its when ppl suck that bands and blink182, fall out boy, and new greenday get formed
Master Shake
Good milk gone Bad
734 IQ
Murahilin is exactly right go for it!!
I'm gonna live forever and if I don't suceed i'll die trying.
Originally posted by Liberation
Damn. You win Master Shake. I am not worthy!
Chuck Mott
UG Newbie
10 IQ
I advocate younger or new musicans to start playing with other people as soon as possible Best way to get very good in the shortest amount of time. Rule of thumb" : gigging bands generally know at least 45 songs. Even the pros know that several simple songs are the best way to get a new band ready. Good luck! If it doesn't work right away go back to the woodshed and practice, and try it again a little later. Band breakups, "firings", disagreements are all part of the biz. Develop a thick skin and above all keep playing.
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie
1,703 IQ
***Closed due to 2005 bump***
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud